Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jokes posted:

These maps are too big.

still blows my mind they made the mexico map the same size as the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

People have played CS:GO forever with vibrance cranked to 3rd hour on acid, this won't be any different.

You don't have to spot people hiding in the shade at 200m in CSGO.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, these maps are too big. And I can think of a few other things that could improve the game also. I mean, if we're going to shrink the maps a bit, maybe we should lower the player count too? Maybe we could just start with 20 people, then you get all the excitement of the final circle right from the get go! Hmm, but how will you do that without all the looting? Oh, I know, we'll let people choose weapons to start with! We can call them "loadouts." Another thing I was thinking is that with 20 people, it might make sense to just put everybody on two teams and let them fight it out. But I guess matches would be over really soon. Oh wait! We can give everyone the ability to respawn quickly after death! I guess we'll need some sort of time limit or score limit to determine a winner though.

Welp there you have it, PUBG is fixed!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, these maps are too big. And I can think of a few other things that could improve the game also. I mean, if we're going to shrink the maps a bit, maybe we should lower the player count too? Maybe we could just start with 20 people, then you get all the excitement of the final circle right from the get go! Hmm, but how will you do that without all the looting? Oh, I know, we'll let people choose weapons to start with! We can call them "loadouts." Another thing I was thinking is that with 20 people, it might make sense to just put everybody on two teams and let them fight it out. But I guess matches would be over really soon. Oh wait! We can give everyone the ability to respawn quickly after death! I guess we'll need some sort of time limit or score limit to determine a winner though.

And yet still nothing to stop the hackers and no region lock. :thunk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DrNutt posted:

as an expert on the subject this is a lovely as hell post.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zaodai posted:

And yet still nothing to stop the hackers and no region lock. :thunk:

Oh well we'll just throw it on the consoles instead of PC and get rid of dedicated servers. Bing bong so simple.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

Varkas posted:

This is good, but it's a 640x400 image on imgbb. Most of the content is okay, but can't really make out the table values in the lower left.

Fixed. I hope.

Bouchehog posted:

For those who haven't seen it in discord, I have stolen various information (mostly from WackyJacky101) and am now claiming credit for it:

Edit: Apparently I'm an idiot so I've updated it slightly.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Elman posted:

So the new Nvidia postprocessing feature is basically a hack.

Without:

With:

Look at the shadows. This poo poo shouldn't be allowed.

you can't be serious

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Elman posted:

Without:

With:

:yeah:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Region lock would suck :(

I like playing with people from NA from time to time

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah well it helps more people than it hurts, get a VPN if you want

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Bouchehog posted:

Fixed. I hope.

All good now. Thanks!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Elman posted:

Without:

With:

Yeah uh wow this is basically hacking! Absolutely terrible. I mean who would ever turn something like this on. Just for clarification, which filter is this? Since there's like two dozen. I mean, just so I know what to avoid.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Bhodi posted:

Yeah uh wow this is basically hacking! Absolutely terrible. I mean who would ever turn something like this on. Just for clarification, which filter is this? Since there's like two dozen. I mean, just so I know what to avoid.

https://youtu.be/Fg6JzoCEWx8

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

A friend gifted me this game for Christmas after I swore I’d never spend money on it. It’s okay.

It’s also weird being a huge ArmA vet because my team has some survival/FPS people who constantly need to optimize their drop spot and get the best guns with all scopes and enough supplies that they’ll lose immediately.

Meanwhile myself and another ArmA friend take whatever shows up at a remote parachute location and then worry about movement and positioning. I managed to do a solo run (on my third-ish game ever) and get sub 15 purely by that. I had only a 1911 and the break action shotgun for my one kill, stumbled onto an M16 later. Got killed because I injured a man on a roof and expected him to either be watching stairs/moving but he chanced exposing himself to shoot me just before I snuck closer. I could have played it better but WOOPS I got bored with playing smart.

I’ll play with friends but it sure doesn’t seem like there’s a balance between “loot and play super conservatively because that wins games” and “throw a grenade one at one door and sprint around the side/back with an uzi and mag dump” since you’ll probably die and then need to do a whole extra cycle of spawning, dropping, looting, etc. Is that fairly accurate, even as I get better at the game?

Mind you I’m not trying to say it’s a terrible game, just wondering if I should keep chasing my ideals or just reserve the game to “when my buds want to play.”

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What even would the point of region lock be? It doesn't matter what region the other 99/98/96 people in the game are from.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

fadam posted:

What even would the point of region lock be? It doesn't matter what region the other 99/98/96 people in the game are from.

I guess people in NA an OC are tired of Chinese hackers - the word is that most hackers are in China. I'm not sure it would help much though.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
A Korean friend of mine sent me this:

Apparently map hacks are just preinstalled at some chinese computer cafes. It looks kinda like pubgmap.io to me but I can't read any of the text and he can so :shrug:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

DrNutt posted:

Bit of an overstatement when the bottom coast, north and west edges are almost underused. Yes if end circles ever went there it would help but it might have been a more interesting map if it was a bit smaller and they used those ideas to replace some of the towns.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Magres posted:

A Korean friend of mine sent me this:

Apparently map hacks are just preinstalled at some chinese computer cafes. It looks kinda like pubgmap.io to me but I can't read any of the text and he can so :shrug:

That was debunked it's just a helper overlay.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Carecat posted:

That was debunked it's just a helper overlay.

Ah, gotcha. Are they A) game legal and B) available in English? I have a loving terrible time remembering the drat plane path after I drop.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Magres posted:

Ah, gotcha. Are they A) game legal and B) available in English? I have a loving terrible time remembering the drat plane path after I drop.

Do you have a second monitor? Maybe use MSPAINT to draw over an image of the map.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Seems like a decent idea for a phone app. Jump on the new* thing and create a second screen experience!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

fadam posted:

Bluehole has confirmed that the overwhelming majority of hacking bans are from China, also the way the netcode works now having a bad ping can be a huge advantage because there doesn't seem to be a cutoff on lag correction (though this could be solved relatively easily by unfucking the netcode).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Carecat posted:

Bit of an overstatement when the bottom coast, north and west edges are almost underused. Yes if end circles ever went there it would help but it might have been a more interesting map if it was a bit smaller and they used those ideas to replace some of the towns.

it's an overstatement because if you had the same 100 but a map 2/3 the size (maybe a bit smaller) you'd eliminate most of the "wait 5 minutes between fights even when you're actively looking for people". they already knew this was an issue with the original map and yet made the new one the same size. i know a lot of people that were excited when it was rumored to be a lot smaller.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess people in NA an OC are tired of Chinese hackers - the word is that most hackers are in China. I'm not sure it would help much though.

playerunknown admitted in the h3h3 podcast that 99% of hackers they have successfully banned are from China though that may have been a facetious remark

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’ll play with friends but it sure doesn’t seem like there’s a balance between “loot and play super conservatively because that wins games” and “throw a grenade one at one door and sprint around the side/back with an uzi and mag dump” since you’ll probably die and then need to do a whole extra cycle of spawning, dropping, looting, etc. Is that fairly accurate, even as I get better at the game?

Mind you I’m not trying to say it’s a terrible game, just wondering if I should keep chasing my ideals or just reserve the game to “when my buds want to play.”

You're not wrong but you're not right either. Fortunately you're on the 'correct' side of being a loot-goblin which is to say you're not being one so it'll be an easier habit for you to foster.

Essentially you want to spend the first part of the game looting your area until you have armor, an assault rifle, meds of some sort, and hopefully optics so you can aim more easily. Once that's covered you go off and start hunting people who in all likelihood are still looting so you can take their stuff.

Once you've played a few rounds like that instead of hunting for people find a vehicle and chase after crates. That's when the game gets really fun.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's an overstatement because if you had the same 100 but a map 2/3 the size (maybe a bit smaller) you'd eliminate most of the "wait 5 minutes between fights even when you're actively looking for people". they already knew this was an issue with the original map and yet made the new one the same size. i know a lot of people that were excited when it was rumored to be a lot smaller.

If you just want all action all the time, you could play literally any other fps. A huge draw of this game for myself and a lot of other people apparently is the tension of not knowing if the next cluster of buildings will be safe or a camping spot for someone who got there first. It's okay for portions of a game to be "boring" if it ratchets up the tension.

If you're one of those people with like several hundred hours and you're not surprised by anything anymore then congrats, it's time to get on to weirder poo poo for your boner.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’ll play with friends but it sure doesn’t seem like there’s a balance between “loot and play super conservatively because that wins games” and “throw a grenade one at one door and sprint around the side/back with an uzi and mag dump”

Over-looting and playing super conservatively doesn't actually win you games any more than playing more aggressively. It might help you more consistently get into the top quarter of the field, but at that point you're going up against a bunch of players who've each got a few kills under their belt, so you're going to be out-geared against them because they got all the good loot from their kills while you were scrounging around for 20 minutes to find a loadout that is merely ok.

If I'm not going to do a full on hot drop on the school or hacienda (which I don't do too often because I don't have the reaction time to be successful in those twitchy close range battles), then I like to find an area that has a bunch of decent sized buildings, then land on the outskirts of it on a smaller grouping of buildings. The small grouping won't have anyone else on it, so you're generally free to loot whatever is there for a minute, then you take whatever you get and head towards the big grouping and get a kill or two quickly on the guys who are staring at the ground looking for an Uzi stock or distracted by other players. Remember that most players aren't Shroud or Chocotaco, who can calmly kill 6 different guys shooting at them in 4 seconds. Go aggressively at someone, and most players panic and spin around in circles, even if they're in a building. I know this because that's what I do alot of times when someone comes at me guns blazing from out of nowhere.

There's no pointless weapon in the game, they can all get kills. Except the crossbow, that thing is only used because it's drat near impossible to get kills with. If you surprise someone while they're looting, you can kill them with the P92 and pick up their fully kitted M4.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DrNutt posted:

If you just want all action all the time, you could play literally any other fps. A huge draw of this game for myself and a lot of other people apparently is the tension of not knowing if the next cluster of buildings will be safe or a camping spot for someone who got there first. It's okay for portions of a game to be "boring" if it ratchets up the tension.

If you're one of those people with like several hundred hours and you're not surprised by anything anymore then congrats, it's time to get on to weirder poo poo for your boner.

you'd still have that the gaps just wouldn't be as long.

vvv and what he said.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 10, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

DrNutt posted:

No one is saying that you have to play a certain way. The problem is that the new map does not facilitate finding people and fighting them, once you’re done with your first area. The parachutes let you see general locations at the start, but then any other points of interest where others might be fighting over are outside of the 700m AR sound or 1000m sniper sound radius, which is the problem. If you wanted to hide all games down paint your nails, you won’t notice much of a difference here. If you want to find people and fight all of the time, you can’t.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

It seems like they quietly fixed the 'WILDCARD BITCHES :supaburn:' bug where the plane immediately dumps everyone and that's a goddamn tragedy

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

you'd still have that the gaps just wouldn't be as long.

He's saying that it's the gaps themselves that ratchet up the tension, so no, if you get rid of the gaps, then you won't have the tension anymore. Not every shooter has to follow some formula that there HAS to be action every 'x' number of seconds. Being slower paced but super intense because there's more of an investment on the line is the main appeal of the game. Wanting to take that away is like saying you like Call of Duty, but you wish they'd take out the guns.

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

abigserve posted:

playerunknown admitted in the h3h3 podcast that 99% of hackers they have successfully banned are from China though that may have been a facetious remark

He also claimed in another interview that he thinks wanting a region lock is xenophobic, and that "it's 2017" and we should all share one big happy server together

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Matazat posted:

He also claimed in another interview that he thinks wanting a region lock is xenophobic, and that "it's 2017" and we should all share one big happy server together

It’s really unfortunate that his opinion has changed to this, considering he wants this to be an e-sport.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Matazat posted:

And yet there is still lovely netcode and they intentionally put servers in different regions rather than one global server. It's almost like he knows that's retarded, but can't quite admit it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The B_36 posted:

There's no pointless weapon in the game, they can all get kills. Except the crossbow, that thing is only used because it's drat near impossible to get kills with. If you surprise someone while they're looting, you can kill them with the P92 and pick up their fully kitted M4.

Chocotaco once won an engagement against someone with a level 3 helmet because he called his shot, saying before he opened the door, "I'm gonna crossbow this guy in the head", opened the door and crossbowed them in the head. It was actually relevant because there was the guy's partner in the next room AND another duo coming in behind them, so if he'd used a different weapon than the crossbow he would have taken damage and probably have gone down sooner, and his teammate wouldn't have been able to finish the rest of them off.

The revolvers are actually worthless because they reload extremely slowly and don't deal enough damage to be worth using over just dancing around like a maniac and punching someone. They nerfed the 7.62 revolver to not one-shot headshot people without helmets which is real dumb.

Rex-Goliath posted:

It seems like they quietly fixed the 'WILDCARD BITCHES :supaburn:' bug where the plane immediately dumps everyone and that's a goddamn tragedy

Bluehole is so goddamn stupid.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The B_36 posted:

Yeah, just a couple of games ago I ended up in basically a gungame after landing in a small building compound that I thought would be empty, but actually had a couple of additional players arriving very shortly after myself. I killed the first guy with the 1911 I'd found, picked up his pump-action shotty and killed the next dude (who was fortunately looking the other way, letting me get the first shot in for free), and picked up his AK to last me for the rest of the game. And then I got killed by a hacker with an AUG, but until then it was really fun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

abigserve posted:

Aren't most of the game's players also Chinese? It'd make sense if there were primarily Chinese hackers if the game's playerbase is, you know, primarily Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I bet there'd be good money in writing software that bypasses such a region lock and selling it to chinese internet cafes.