Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

Sure it is. Just not the coastline or traditional capital (Thessaloniki)

most of macedonia is in greece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Groovelord Neato posted:

most of macedonia is in greece.

Most of Greece is in other countries.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Greek population of Melbourne is bigger than any Greek city besides Athens.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

...referendum winning by 52%.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lol I took this picture a million years ago at a Marshall's home goods and posted it itt. How did you re-encounter it?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

cis autodrag posted:

Lol I took this picture a million years ago at a Marshall's home goods and posted it itt. How did you re-encounter it?
Looks like it's not your photo. :ssh:

cis autodrag posted:

If we're posting stupid maps made for children, here's a couple I found at a closeout store last xmas:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kennel posted:

Looks like it's not your photo. :ssh:

Amazing. Floor looks the same so I guess they can't pay someone to take that thing off their hands.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

cis autodrag posted:

I found it on reddit lol. I also don't doubt that multiple people took pictures of it

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Duckbox posted:

Why would you pick 1813 as your breakpoint when half of Spanish South America rebelled slightly before and the other half slightly after? Colombia and Venezuela used to be the same country for chrissakes.

My guess is the map was made in 2013, and the map shows monarchies abolished in what was at the time the last 50, 100, and 200 years.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Peanut President posted:

That's not smoke, it's steam.

:golfclap:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

fishmech posted:

Most of Greece is in other countries.

It's true.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

:tipshat:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Large: https://xkcd.com/1939/large/

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Why did he make that now? Does anyone still care about that election?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Count Roland posted:

trump

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Count Roland posted:

angry liberals

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

This is terrible, at a glance there's not much difference between "other" and "clinton" stick figures. He should have used green or yellow instead of low-contrast gray.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Cat Mattress posted:

This is terrible, at a glance there's not much difference between "other" and "clinton" stick figures. He should have used green or yellow instead of low-contrast gray.

Actually he should have used only low contrast gray for all of the pegs, man :v: :smuggo:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Clinton is blue, Other is very clearly green. Just look at the large version.

Trump vs Other might be a larger problem, for colourblind folks.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Aren't there already a billion election maps out there? Or is there a joke I'm missing?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i think it's an interesting approach to the rock and a hard place of "showing a standard map makes it impossible to tell who won the election since there are so many big but empty or small but densely populated states" vs. "cartograms suck and i hate them"

i bet some poisson or blue noise sampling to get a higher resolution of pseudo-voters might make things a little easier to see, but it's an interesting idea at least.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few different density+voter preference maps itt that accomplished the same goal and weren't made by a stick figure cartoon man a year after the election.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
Making the decision of using stick figures instead of % bars puts the emphasis on the individual voters.

I think the point is to show the fact that everybody lives next to someone that voted differently? Except apparently for the Dakotas, Alaska, Wyoming and Hawaii?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

White Rock posted:

Making the decision of using stick figures instead of % bars puts the emphasis on the individual voters.

I think the point is to show the fact that everybody lives next to someone that voted differently? Except apparently for the Dakotas, Alaska, Wyoming and Hawaii?

And the bay area.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I'm the Eurafrican Mediterranean Sea. You have to remember to call me the Eurafrican Med. to distinguish me from all those other Mediterranean Seas around the world

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Squalid posted:

I'm the Eurafrican Mediterranean Sea. You have to remember to call me the Eurafrican Med. to distinguish me from all those other Mediterranean Seas around the world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_sea_(oceanography)

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Yeah, the map itself has two other labelled mediterranean seas, which should clue you in on how they're using the word.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Blue=houses under a million dollars in Vancouver.

It moves a little fast but basically you have to pay over a million dollars to live within 45 minutes of your work in a suburb that doesn't have an opiate/gang problem. And you can't buy a house for under $500k anywhere anymore.

Nice areas are $3 million+.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Squalid posted:

I assume this is a map of watersheds? Does that mean the dark gray areas never drain to the sea? Where does the water go? Obviously for the deserts there just isn't enough rainfall for rivers, but what about central asia?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A huge amount of it goes into the Caspian SeaLake.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is it really just down to Asian capital flooding into the Vancouver real estate market? What makes Vancouver so popular?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is it really just down to Asian capital flooding into the Vancouver real estate market? What makes Vancouver so popular?

Its also a bubble. Big banks routinely say the Canadian housing market is over valued by 20 or 30 or 40%. Vancouver is a special bubble in itself. There's literally shacks selling for around 1mil.

(Vancouver also routinely tops lists of "best city in the world to live in", so people can feel justified about doing so)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

People swear up and down that it's other stuff (usually people profiting from status quo) but yes that is absolutely the main issue.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

I assume this is a map of watersheds? Does that mean the dark gray areas never drain to the sea? Where does the water go? Obviously for the deserts there just isn't enough rainfall for rivers, but what about central asia?

Endorheic basins, which means there's no outflow to external bodies of water. Generally the water drains into lakes, where it evaporates.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

There's also cool poo poo like the Okavango Delta

:rip:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Smirr posted:

There's also cool poo poo like the Okavango Delta

:rip:

master class in plum giving out

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Endorheic basins, which means there's no outflow to external bodies of water. Generally the water drains into lakes, where it evaporates.

Yeah, this is where most salt lakes and salt flats come from. The Great Salt Lake, Salton Sea, and Laguna Salada are in that North American one (although the Salton Sea was just a drainage basin before a canal broke), and the Caspian, Aral, Dead Sea, Tunisian Salt Lakes, etc. are all in similar basins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015