Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Tomorrow is gonna be so awesome, man I might actually take off work to play Destiny 2 endgame (which is making GBS threads on the evolving disaster that is Destiny 2)

What's tomorrow? TWAB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

What game design that embraces avenues for casual play actually is: bite sized challenges, difficulty that can be customized and scaled, a solidly conceived learning curve

What Bungie thinks it is: the video games version of baby food, zero customizability, strictly enforced playstyles, strictly enforced map access/invisible walls/kill volumes

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

cvnvcnv posted:

What's tomorrow? TWAB?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

is that code word for "lube up for the Eververse-fuelled loving we're got planned for you"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

we need a we're listening emote but where the word listening deflates and somehow the sound of a wet fart is embedded in it

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
legit shocked there wasn't a F2P avenue for getting the winter event armor outside of burning more bright dust than I've ever actually received to this point.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

we need a we're listening emote but where the word listening deflates and somehow the sound of a wet fart is embedded in it

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

legit shocked there wasn't a F2P avenue for getting the winter event armor outside of burning more bright dust than I've ever actually received to this point.

Why did this shock you

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

That is the point, frustrate people into spending real money to get what they want.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Why can't you just buy fuckin bright dust gently caress the middle man

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
why not just pay real money for the loving poo poo, who cares,

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Who here remembers Microsoft FunBucks

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Remember they cast out Jesus for speaking the truth.

And he was both pretty popular and the best pvp player of him and the disciples.

Actually Jesus threw his controller against the wall and rage quit the temple to “make a point”

Similarities are spooky, really

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Emron posted:

Why did this shock you

because I'm used to F2P players getting trickles of holiday poo poo from Blizzard games like HOTS and Overwatch.

I've got many, many overwatch skins from just getting free loot boxes during the holiday event. In Destiny, though, the usual free eververse engrams didn't contain any holiday poo poo and the free stuff we got from the presents couldn't roll the event armor (or even be broken down into bright dust to convert into the armor).

Apprentice Dick posted:

That is the point, frustrate people into spending real money to get what they want.

Then they're morons. I'm way more likely to throw 10 bucks to get that last piece of armor than I am to spend 50-100 dollars for the whole set.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 10, 2018

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I just wish I could by the seasonal stuff whenever I wanted because I fall in and out of overwatch like a wave

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's all because the AAA games industry decided that instead of making a good product and have people give you money in order to buy/play it, they would make bad products and allow you to pay regular fees to make them less bad. It unfortunately seems to have worked but stuff like the Battlefront fiasco and everyone abandoning D2 give me hope that maybe just maybe people have figured out this poo poo is unacceptable.

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

It's curse of osiris themed

Therefore it is Good

I plan on talking to Tess downstairs the first night and see what I can get for my tickets from skeet ball

live cam from the Luxor balcony

https://i.imgur.com/WVQRxfQ.gifv

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lotta people itt not understanding the way to make money isn’t to sell it directly to 100 people for 2 dollars, it’s to get 10 people to spend 30 each gambling to try and get the set

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lemme just hit this vape just once more, I think as I smugly question Bungie’s desire to get in on the addiction market

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Chilichimp posted:

I'm way more likely to throw 10 bucks to get that last piece of armor than I am to spend 50-100 dollars for the whole set.

Me too, but loot box systems make money off of whales and addicts, not the general population.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
I have no doubt that the gambling style microtransaction system is bad, but I question that the entire game is funneled towards it.

D2 has some serious issues, but I feel like most of them stem from the fact that it was made in a very short amount of time with zero institutional memory. It feels like an overcorrection from year 1 that ignores significant improvements made to the game in the following two years. Coupled with the fact that nothing new is on the table, and the crucible being completely oblivious to what people enjoyed about crucible, and you get a bland game that can hopefully be saved by the Live team. Again. And yes, I do agree that so far the 'events' have been pretty bland and mtx focused. I don't know why they wouldn't have brought back sparrow racing or something with the dawning, it just seems like a no brainer.

But I don't think ABGD would spend nearly as much time complaining in this thread (and the other one) if crucible was still good.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

OdinsBeard posted:

I have no doubt that the gambling style microtransaction system is bad, but I question that the entire game is funneled towards it.

D2 has some serious issues, but I feel like most of them stem from the fact that it was made in a very short amount of time with zero institutional memory. It feels like an overcorrection from year 1 that ignores significant improvements made to the game in the following two years. Coupled with the fact that nothing new is on the table, and the crucible being completely oblivious to what people enjoyed about crucible, and you get a bland game that can hopefully be saved by the Live team. Again. And yes, I do agree that so far the 'events' have been pretty bland and mtx focused. I don't know why they wouldn't have brought back sparrow racing or something with the dawning, it just seems like a no brainer.

But I don't think ABGD would spend nearly as much time complaining in this thread (and the other one) if crucible was still good.

Whats it like living in October 2017?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
how is the entire game funneled toward it, I ask as the latest event has me report directly to Tess Everis again

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

:thunk:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

There's a price hike of a few pennies for the $19.99 bundle?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There's a price hike of a few pennies for the $19.99 bundle?

lol, you're right, you have to spend 40 dollars to realize any bundle bonus, might as well just by the 4.99 one 4 times if 20 bucks is all you're willing to spend.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My favorite F2P gacha gimmick (which destiny hasn’t incorporated yet) is that a person is far more likely to spend money to prevent a loss than to gain something new. In other words, if you say “give me a dollar and I’ll give you this thing,” they won’t be as likely to spend as they would if you (during a game) say “congrats! You got a thing! Complete the level to own it,” then later, oh no! They’re going to fail the level and lose the thing! Spend a dollar to extend the level!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Emron posted:

My favorite F2P gacha gimmick (which destiny hasn’t incorporated yet) is that a person is far more likely to spend money to prevent a loss than to gain something new. In other words, if you say “give me a dollar and I’ll give you this thing,” they won’t be as likely to spend as they would if you (during a game) say “congrats! You got a thing! Complete the level to own it,” then later, oh no! They’re going to fail the level and lose the thing! Spend a dollar to extend the level!

Is that related to why Team Fortress 2 would always give me locked crates and ask me to buy keys?

EDIT: bungie post about crimson days:

"While Crimson Days is confirmed, we'll have more details on how it's changing based on community feedback collected throughout the Dawning.
Looking to have some info for you soon - Thursday in particular.
Stay tuned."

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 10, 2018

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is that related to why Team Fortress 2 would always give me locked crates and ask me to buy keys?

EDIT: bungie post about crimson days:

"While Crimson Days is confirmed, we'll have more details on how it's changing based on community feedback collected throughout the Dawning.
Looking to have some info for you soon - Thursday in particular.
Stay tuned."

Crates are full on gacha. Some people like uncertainty in what they’re getting, and would rather spent ten bucks chasing an item than buying it for 3 dollars. Bright engrams are literally this.

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/UYE0PcM.gifv

the good days

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

It's too bad that rasheed went full benedict arnold, now I have to update all my gifs

https://i.imgur.com/qcUnQHH.gifv

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

One thing I think is funny and that I love a lot is that my fiance and I both split time on this game and she doesn't get to play that often right now and she's not a useless piece of poo poo like all of us so she doesn't spend time on forums. She plays a brisk three or so hours during the week after work to wind down, still has planetary adventures left to do, doesn't usually come close to finishing a week's milestones, etc.

It's all so pure. She just rolls around in Crucible quickplay with her Nightstalker/Atalanta/Uriel's/Hawthorne's and does a couple strikes or public events, makes jokes about our hunter/warlock rivalry, and then does other things like a fully functional adult. Unlike me, she doesn't hate-play this game out of psychotic neuroses. She's my superior in every conceivable way. I sometimes wonder if this is what all the non-forum, non-reddit, non-12 year old people are like who play this game and have no idea how screwed up it is are like.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm frankly surprised that you guys haven't taken the Bone Krew brand worldwide. It just prints so nicely in any font.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

SlimGoodbody posted:

One thing I think is funny and that I love a lot is that my fiance and I both split time on this game and she doesn't get to play that often right now and she's not a useless piece of poo poo like all of us so she doesn't spend time on forums. She plays a brisk three or so hours during the week after work to wind down, still has planetary adventures left to do, doesn't usually come close to finishing a week's milestones, etc.

It's all so pure. She just rolls around in Crucible quickplay with her Nightstalker/Atalanta/Uriel's/Hawthorne's and does a couple strikes or public events, makes jokes about our hunter/warlock rivalry, and then does other things like a fully functional adult. Unlike me, she doesn't hate-play this game out of psychotic neuroses. She's my superior in every conceivable way. I sometimes wonder if this is what all the non-forum, non-reddit, non-12 year old people are like who play this game and have no idea how screwed up it is are like.

When you invest a ton of energy into idolizing and loving something, and then realize that thing doesn’t care about you in return, the love turns to hate reeeeeeeal quick.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Coldforge posted:

When you invest a ton of energy into idolizing and loving something, and then realize that thing doesn’t care about you in return, the love turns to hate reeeeeeeal quick.

Bungie never goes for the Nice Gamers :qq: it only likes those jock whales :qq: :qq:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Coldforge posted:

Lol this is exactly it

Bungie took the goodwill of all us idiots who stuck with their flawed but earnest social shooter and thanked us with the double gently caress you of a game that wasn’t targeted at us and was full of mtx bs

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

wintrrmute posted:

Benedict Arnold

Lol wut

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

how is the entire game funneled toward it, I ask as the latest event has me report directly to Tess Everis again

I’m not being funneled toward eververse if it’s trash I don’t want/need.

Anyway, I agree that the dawning was pointless. Thanks for giving us a pvp mode we had regular access to for several years. Exciting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The only way you aren't being funneled in an event where Step 1 is Go To The Place is if you literally don't participate in the event at all

Which isn't really something that you can say In Favor of the event

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The only way you aren't being funneled in an event where Step 1 is Go To The Place is if you literally don't participate in the event at all

Which isn't really something that you can say In Favor of the event

Fair enough. I have problems with randomized loot crates but also the stuff in them is so underwhelming I have a hard time caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Imagine if the stuff in them was underwhelming and the whole game appeared to funnel you towards them (through events and levels ups and what not). Boy that sounds like a trash game.