Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Smythe posted:

it would be a real bummer if japan got nuked again. a real, real bummer.
hopefully when i am living in it :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Duscat posted:

you don't HAVE nuclear deterrence against the US if all you can blow up is one, possibly foreign, city

e: not in the MAD sense

you certainly have a great deal of deterrence against sane US governments because any threat of escalating a conflict into a nuclear one is a serious danger
YES YOU DO, you're making it expensive to attack you, more expensive than it is to not attack, therefore deterrence.

like, think about it for one second - don't you think that if there was a way around MAD, that either the US or the USSR would have done it to each other? No, they didn't! You know why? Because there's no loving shortcut around MAD you idiot. The instant there is a shortcut, you've undermined the entire premise behind MAD! what's to stop 1 million consecutive 'bloody nose' attacks? where the gently caress do you draw the line, and how can you make the other side believe it?

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

YES YOU DO, you're making it expensive to attack you, more expensive than it is to not attack, therefore deterrence.

like, think about it for one second - don't you think that if there was a way around MAD, that either the US or the USSR would have done it to each other? No, they didn't! You know why? Because there's no loving shortcut around MAD you idiot. The instant there is a shortcut, you've undermined the entire premise behind MAD! what's to stop 1 million consecutive 'bloody nose' attacks? where the gently caress do you draw the line, and how can you make the other side believe it?

and i'm saying there's no MAD when one side has a fledgling program that can maybe barely hit US soil

i'm not saying it's sane or sensible to attack north korea in any way

just that there's a certain amount of insane posturing and shoving we can do without them committing murder-suicide

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A rational actor will find NY/Cali/Tokyo to be too high of a cost for the NK/SK resolution. And trust me, it wont be NK that starts the actual war. Its our own guys that will think that its totally worth it to shut up that pudgy gently caress who the hell cares about all those guys in the metro cities I dont

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

A rational actor will find NY/Cali/Tokyo to be too high of a cost for the NK/SK resolution. And trust me, it wont be NK that starts the actual war. Its our own guys that will think that its totally worth it to shut up that pudgy gently caress who the hell cares about all those guys in the metro cities I dont

it has always been obvious that if nuclear war starts, it is because the US either started it or chose not to stop it

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Duscat posted:

and i'm saying there's no MAD when one side has a fledgling program that can maybe barely hit US soil

i'm not saying it's sane or sensible to attack north korea in any way

just that there's a certain amount of insane posturing and shoving we can do without them committing murder-suicide
if you're okay with a bomb hitting NY, LA, and maybe a few other major cities, then by all means, talk about going for a 'bloody nose'

this isn't a loving video game where you can put in the cheat code or abuse AI behavior or whatever - you're dealing with an opponent with the ability to think, can see the obvious implications coming a mile away, and the obvious implication of 'no retaliation' is 'you die', therefore, they must retaliate, and there's no way to prevent them doing that.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

if you're okay with a bomb hitting NY, LA, and maybe a few other major cities, then by all means, talk about going for a 'bloody nose'

this isn't a loving video game where you can put in the cheat code or abuse AI behavior or whatever - you're dealing with an opponent with the ability to think, can see the obvious implications coming a mile away, and the obvious implication of 'no retaliation' is 'you die', therefore, they must retaliate, and there's no way to prevent them doing that.

see that's the thing that's not gonna happen

they're not going to nuke LA if some military installation gets bombed, because of, guess what, MAD

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
they'll respond at least proportionally, so expect okinawa or guam to get nuked

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

they'll respond at least proportionally, so expect okinawa or guam to get nuked

the US isn't going to nuke them

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
and if they only have one bomb, they absolutely will hit LA, because again, they're dead anyway, so you kill as many of the other side as possible

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
"MAD" and "launch every nuke right now" are not the same thing. you want the war to be too expensive for the other guy, right? that can happen without pressing every button. the NSC back when PD-59 was developed thought there would be quick flurries of nuclear strikes followed by weeks or months of no nuclear strikes as the war continued and both sides hunted around for stuff to nuke.

https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/nukevault/ebb390/

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

and if they only have one bomb, they absolutely will hit LA, because again, they're dead anyway, so you kill as many of the other side as possible

yes, fine, if they feel they're dead anyway, they might indeed do that

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

"MAD" and "launch every nuke right now" are not the same thing. you want the war to be too expensive for the other guy, right? that can happen without pressing every button. the NSC back when PD-59 was developed thought there would be quick flurries of nuclear strikes followed by weeks or months of no nuclear strikes as the war continued and both sides hunted around for stuff to nuke.

https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/nukevault/ebb390/

imagine you're kim jong-un and the US just ran a massive air raid that destroyed all of your above-ground nuke facilities and even damaged some of the underground ones

do you launch your nukes and die as MAD demands

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

rudatron posted:

this isn't a loving video game where you can put in the cheat code or abuse AI behavior or whatever

yes it is

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Duscat posted:

imagine you're kim jong-un and the US just ran a massive air raid that destroyed all of your above-ground nuke facilities and even damaged some of the underground ones

I'd use my diesel subs to attack American warships.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'd use my diesel subs to attack American warships.

:ssh: triremes are cheaper and the odds are not that much worse

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duscat posted:

:ssh: triremes are cheaper and the odds are not that much worse

I wouldn't expect a 21st Century Tsushima or anything, but any damage done to the US Navy would wreck its aura of invincibility and be a proportional "bloody nose" that directly targets American assets without attacking South Korea.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I wouldn't expect a 21st Century Tsushima or anything, but any damage done to the US Navy would wreck its aura of invincibility and be a proportional "bloody nose" that directly targets American assets without attacking South Korea.

Didn't a French diesel sub sneak through the carrier group, sink a US carrier, and slip away during one navy excrise?

I think the same happened with the Swedes .

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Didn't a French diesel sub sneak through the carrier group, sink a US carrier, and slip away during one navy excrise?

The swedes build extremely good subs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
if i were kim jong un i wouldn't do anything. make america look like the villains while i'd sit and bide my time and then sink a warship or dump the fire and fury across the DMZ when the world leasts expects it.

oh yes haha

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
being Kim jong un seems pretty sweet. yeah you just wait for trump to do something stupid and if that gets boring do something crazy yourself to spice things up. pretty much no situation where you don’t have a winning move.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
I do seriously wonder about American surface and near-surface capabilities. Sure, they can blow stuff up from the air, but I really doubt the American navy could stand up as well to a combined sub and shore-based attack from anti-ship missiles.

Not defeated, but 50k dead in Vietnam brought America to its knees, so they really can't afford losses.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

nopantsjack posted:

Pls rebel against your mushhead prez, an actually pr decent country is gonna get killed..you guys have guns right?

its illegal to use guns against the us government thanks to Lincoln :sad:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Having servicemen get killed in a war actually has a reinforcing effect where the reactionary elements in your society become even more committed to the war effort even if they know it's a bad idea.

OhFunny posted:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/history/chinese-submarine-appeared-in-the-middle-of-a-carrier-battle-group.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
north korea nuking the US would be ftw. dta

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Duscat posted:

well to be fair if america starts doing massive air raids on yiou and you don't defend yourself then you're dead anyway surely?

saddam, gaddafi etc aren't exactly alive and kicking because they didn't retaliate

if america can do it then they will kill KJO and kill/ruin everyone in his regime

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

like if they retaliate america isnt gonna be like "well thats them telt" its gonna keep pushing its luck

otoh if they "bloody nose" NK (and everyone knows getting a bloody nose calms you right down) and NK responds with a similar limited strike that will be used as a bloody shirt with which the US can galvanise more support for more strikes and a larger engagement, this may even be the actual desired outcome from such a strike.

basically war is insanely stupid unless you are a psychopathic rogue state with no chance of losing, so america
(losing in the traditional war sense, i.e. being conquered, america loses every war but the other side always comes off way worse in victory. since america mainly wants to rob countries or strangle regional competitors in the crib rather than hold territory, this is because they're a psycho successor empire to the british empire who tried to do both and failed)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Having servicemen get killed in a war actually has a reinforcing effect where the reactionary elements in your society become even more committed to the war effort even if they know it's a bad idea.
the sunk cost fallacy is real, unlike political calculus (my west wing fan fiction!!!!! mr. sorkin may i have your autograaaaaaph)

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/history/chinese-submarine-appeared-in-the-middle-of-a-carrier-battle-group.html

im the dude in the front side-eying the camera

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rudaton is mostly right. Trying to destroy a countries nuclear arsenal is something that would be considered an existential threat.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/952697864991531008

quote:

WASHINGTON — Across the military, officers and troops are quietly preparing for a war they hope will not come.

At Fort Bragg in North Carolina last month, a mix of 48 Apache gunships and Chinook cargo helicopters took off in an exercise that practiced moving troops and equipment under live artillery fire to assault targets. Two days later, in the skies above Nevada, 119 soldiers from the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division parachuted out of C-17 military cargo planes under cover of darkness in an exercise that simulated a foreign invasion.

Next month, at Army posts across the United States, more than 1,000 reserve soldiers will practice how to set up so-called mobilization centers that move military forces overseas in a hurry. And beginning next month with the Winter Olympics in the South Korean town of Pyeongchang, the Pentagon plans to send more Special Operations troops to the Korean Peninsula, an initial step toward what some officials said ultimately could be the formation of a Korea-based task force similar to the types that are fighting in Iraq and Syria. Others said the plan was strictly related to counterterrorism efforts.

In the world of the American military, where contingency planning is a mantra drummed into the psyche of every officer, the moves are ostensibly part of standard Defense Department training and troop rotations. But the scope and timing of the exercises suggest a renewed focus on getting the country’s military prepared for what could be on the horizon with North Korea.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah. were going to war

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Others said the plan was strictly related to counterterrorism efforts.
:chloe:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
launch em

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
looks pretty inevitable at this point. i wonder if it will be delayed until 2019 or if they will just go ahead this year.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trump has a flair for the dramatic, so maybe they'll attack during the Olympics.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Trump has a flair for the dramatic, so maybe they'll attack during the Olympics.

another page out of the strong daddy putin play book

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trump turning a world event into a warzone is just too narratively perfect.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Jan 15, 2018

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

lmao at the idea that officers and troops don't want the north korea war to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

ScrubLeague posted:

lmao at the idea that officers and troops don't want the north korea war to come

they get to live out there nork stomping fantasies while Grandpa president is busy golfing and/or yelling at celebrities on twitter. win/win