Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

homeless snail posted:

Kinda mixed about the upgrade though, cause I got no idea what I'd do with my current hmd without lighthouses or controllers. It's a paperweight.

Well, if you end up getting the knuckles controller, then you've got a spare headset and two spare controllers. That's some lighthouses (or two VR setups in the same room with the same lighthouses) away from a second set, and the G2 Lighthouses are supposed to be cheaper. It might not be totally without resale value.

But yeah, a trade-in program would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

D1E posted:

How would I use the Vive Pro if I don't have a USB 3.1 motherboard? Anybody got recommendations on I/O boards or would I need a new motherboard?

If so, eff that.

HTC's site lists "USB-C 3.0", not USB 3.1. I'd imagine you would just use a USB 3.0 Type C -> Type A adapter to plug it into the breakout box (if it doesn't come with that cable to begin with). The USB connectors on the breakout box appear to be USB 3.0 already.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

GI_Clutch posted:

HTC's site lists "USB-C 3.0", not USB 3.1. I'd imagine you would just use a USB 3.0 Type C -> Type A adapter to plug it into the breakout box (if it doesn't come with that cable to begin with). The USB connectors on the breakout box appear to be USB 3.0 already.

OK cool, thanks!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Alpha Phoenix posted:

The knuckles were solid plastic prototypes, nothing functional. I picked it up and it was comfortable. That's all. I'm just excited to have 2 potential knuckle devs for Vive, and competition breeds excellence. Their wands worked but they had dysphoria since they still used stock wand models in VR.

I didn't notice reflections specifically, but keep in mind you're nearly doubling the fov from 110 to 200. That's where it shines. I could forgive some ghosts around the edges if it means that we have peripheral vision edges to begin with. But again, it didn't jump out at me. I'd like to know how many people used the Ship demo and not the lovely Coral one.

I suspect that some people expected the moon and stars, and were sad that it wasn't God's Gift to VR. It's not. But it had a bigger sweet spot than my vive and the fov was a massive boon. It's good.

Heard the display seems dim, did you notice that?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Heard the display seems dim, did you notice that?

Now that you mention it, it was dimmer than what I'm used to. Though both of the demos were underwater and saturated with dark blues. So I don't know how to parse that.

I'll have to look into it, but that could be true.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Display Link's wireless adapter feels better than tpcast's.

Works with audio strap, lighter, worse life but you can hot swap battery packs without shutting down.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Build quality and abysmal support.

I currently have 5 controllers. Two of them had tracking fail on them within five minutes of each other the other day. You'd think it would be a driver issue but no, a third controller works fine. too bad its trackpad is broken. I'm at wits end. I don't even beat these things up.

edit: i have 5 because:

got 2 with vive
one was damaged against a radiator
bought a third
sent one in with issues (trigger pressed the menu button and vice versa)
fixed the damaged one myself
one I sent in was lost for a while due to Harvey, Vive Care on twitter sent me a replacement box. the replacement box had two for some reason
later on got the one I sent in back.

All of them at this point have one issue or another with tracking not working, trackpad failing, etc etc etc. its a joke.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 10, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

The Walrus posted:

Build quality and abysmal support.

I currently have 5 controllers. Two of them had tracking fail on them within five minutes of each other the other day. You'd think it would be a driver issue but no, a third controller works fine. too bad its trackpad is broken. I'm at wits end. I don't even beat these things up.

Ah, that sucks.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
While we're talking about sad VR units, I've packed up my Rift ready to return to the manufacturer. Just waiting on them to send me a return label. I was honestly surprised that the audio stopped working in the right ear, especially given the amount I had used it (Some 240 hours, doing the maths, which is crazy) - I figured that if I was gonna happen it would've been sooner rather than later. I know it's a piddly little thing to RMA it over because I could just plug in my Sennheisers but it kind of speaks volumes (tee hee) for how much I like the Rift's built in headphones.

Support has been good with their interactions but rather slower than I'd like in responding to the ticket, but given the time of the year I'm sure they're swamped following Christmas. Hopefully there won't be anything wrong with the replacement they send. If it's a refurb I'd rather it not be full of spiders.

Bremen posted:

Well, if you end up getting the knuckles controller, then you've got a spare headset and two spare controllers. That's some lighthouses (or two VR setups in the same room with the same lighthouses) away from a second set, and the G2 Lighthouses are supposed to be cheaper. It might not be totally without resale value.

But yeah, a trade-in program would be nice.

If you went this route I'd say pass the old set on to a friend and spread the VR disease, but it's an expensive bit of kit and I don't think people are as fiscally irresponsibile/stupidly generous as I am :v:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 10, 2018

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Just tried Intel's wireless solution on a Vive pro.

Intel wireless bad, lol 7ms.

Vive pro is good, ok?

More at 11

Edit: I also retried the pymax with peoples concerns in mind. I'll write up tonight.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 11, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bremen posted:

According to an article on Medium a "reliable source" says the Vive Pro HMD only upgrade will be $350. If true, that's almost shockingly cheap. Especially for me, since the fact that I haven't purchased the DAS means it'd be effectively $250 :D

Would definitely be an insta-buy at that price. I was hoping for $400 and expecting $500 or more.
I'm pretty much exactly with you. Anywhere under $400 makes it more of a question of when rather than if.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Q: if you already have a vive and the lighthouses setup and buy the upgrade, what do you do with your original headset? You can't sell it on sans lighthouses very easily.

Would you take a mail-in swap plus cash balance deal, you get new headset cheaper, HTC can refurb your old unit..?
I think I'd consider a trade-in deal if it was significant, like $200+ value, but below that I think I'd prefer to just hang on to it as a spare and eventual second setup as the controllers and lighthouses get refreshed.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Zero VGS posted:

Are there any two player, two headset games yet?
The only two I know of are Sparc and Onward in co-op vs AI mode

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

homeless snail posted:

Are you thinking you're just going to present the video feed directly into the headset? Because I think that's probably a real bad idea for a variety of reasons. I think you're better off copying the camera feed into textures and applying it to some kind of virtual screen. Whether you're doing that in Unity or WebVR or OpenGL it shouldn't be too hard, toolset doesn't really matter.

I was thinking I'd run each frame through the SDK command that compensates for the barrel distortion in the headset's lenses. I was hoping to avoid doing much more than that, both to avoid unnecessary lag and because I zero experience with game development.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Cockmaster posted:

I was thinking I'd run each frame through the SDK command that compensates for the barrel distortion in the headset's lenses. I was hoping to avoid doing much more than that, both to avoid unnecessary lag and because I zero experience with game development.
You will absolutely need to reproject the frames in nontrivial ways to account for the lag in moving the physical cameras if you don't want it to feel like garbage. Alternatively, use native 360° cameras instead (but you'll still need some subtler reprojection to deal with delays in the stereo baseline's rotation)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ShadowHawk posted:

The only two I know of are Sparc and Onward in co-op vs AI mode
Also From Other Suns, though that's also 3 player.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

wolrah posted:

I'm pretty much exactly with you. Anywhere under $400 makes it more of a question of when rather than if.

I''m kinda sad that the same rumor says a Vive Pro package with the 2.0 Lighthouses won't be out until Q4. :( I wonder if they'll sell a set with the current gen stuff or not. I don't want to wait another year dammit.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ralith posted:

You will absolutely need to reproject the frames in nontrivial ways to account for the lag in moving the physical cameras if you don't want it to feel like garbage. Alternatively, use native 360° cameras instead (but you'll still need some subtler reprojection to deal with delays in the stereo baseline's rotation)

Do there exist any 360° cameras capable of streaming video in real time (I may eventually want to try recording the video as well)? Preferably that aren't crazy expensive?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hopped in VR for the first time in a while. Soundboxing is hella good, be we already knew that. Star Shelter seems really promising and I’m really excited to see how it improves.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

Do there exist any 360° cameras capable of streaming video in real time (I may eventually want to try recording the video as well)? Preferably that aren't crazy expensive?

If you want zero delay live streaming you would need a pretty expensive rig. There are some cheaper 360 cameras that can stream live though. http://www.threesixtycameras.com/360-cameras-that-can-live-stream/
Some others are the YI 360 VR for about $400, the Rylo 360 and the Insta 360 One.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Do there exist any 360° cameras capable of streaming video in real time (I may eventually want to try recording the video as well)?
Yea, there's a couple of...

Cockmaster posted:

Preferably that aren't crazy expensive?

Nevermind

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
My vive trackpad button just gave out. The tracking and pad still works but the button is completely mush. All that snap turning in FO4VR. What a piece of garbage. Need Knuckles now.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

My Rift up and died. It's 7 months out of warranty so Oculus was no help. I'm getting HDMI not connected in Home. Tried all the normal steps and tried installing it on my roommate's PC to no avail.

If anyone has a Rift in central MS and wants to help me troubleshoot whether it's the cable or headset let me know.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
pavlov is such a great experience I almost can't stand it

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I had to suicide fight with mjilaeck to give him his first raptor dinner in Stand Out.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217465190

Slap fights in MR are so hilarious.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Shemp the Stooge posted:

My vive trackpad button just gave out. The tracking and pad still works but the button is completely mush. All that snap turning in FO4VR. What a piece of garbage. Need Knuckles now.

I had that. Fixing it is real easy if you're ok with tearing apart electronics. Google up some guides, thats what I did

Note that while my trackpad is good as new, I think I damaged one of the sensors. Had to cover it to stop it from randomly drifting but its not 100% anymore. Perfectly playable though

I too am impatiently waiting for the Knuckles. My plan to get them regardless is why I risked the repair job. Now its looking like I'll be waiting for the new headset, buy the full package, sell the current one to a mate, and I guess a new Titan or 1080 PC to power it. Current rig is 5 years old but the 970 and 24gb RAM in it works well enough

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

VRChat is uh, pretty weird. I tried it because it's free and I wanted to see what the hype was about, and I immediately felt uncomfortable.

A few things/observations:

- A wide Kylo Ren jpeg asked me to touch his nipples.
- An anime girl avatar (dude) called my orc avatar a "green bitch" and immediately 12 tiny Knuckles avatars surrounded me and started clicking at me to protect "her" honor. There is a culture where anime girls are queens, and tiny Knuckles are soldiers.
- Almost everyone in VRChat is a child.
- Almost nobody in there is using the VR version (you can tell because hands and head don't move freely).
- An actual fish tried to molest a 6 inch tall anime girl, upon which everyone got outraged and a nearby Boba Fett said "call the cops", so at least there's some sense of mob morality in VR, for what it's worth.
- If Mark Zuckerberg bet $2b on social VR being the future, he may have hosed up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like any public online chatroom to me, have you seen 4chan lately? :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

smoobles posted:

VRChat is uh, pretty weird. I tried it because it's free and I wanted to see what the hype was about, and I immediately felt uncomfortable.

A few things/observations:

- A wide Kylo Ren jpeg asked me to touch his nipples.
- An anime girl avatar (dude) called my orc avatar a "green bitch" and immediately 12 tiny Knuckles avatars surrounded me and started clicking at me to protect "her" honor. There is a culture where anime girls are queens, and tiny Knuckles are soldiers.
- Almost everyone in VRChat is a child.
- Almost nobody in there is using the VR version (you can tell because hands and head don't move freely).
- An actual fish tried to molest a 6 inch tall anime girl, upon which everyone got outraged and a nearby Boba Fett said "call the cops", so at least there's some sense of mob morality in VR, for what it's worth.
- If Mark Zuckerberg bet $2b on social VR being the future, he may have hosed up.

I really want this whole post on a plaque.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I dont like VRChat because it's more like VR was tacked on, and the whole point of social VR is interactivity, which you don't get with people on the desktop client.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
VRChat is like Ready Player One but with actual nerds and not that hollywood poo poo.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Yeah, VRchat is kinda boring and annoying because hardly anyone has an actual headset, whats the point?

I always end up surrounded by a dozen people just watching my hands wiggle around, and making dumb jokes, and it gets feeling claustrophobic when everyone is so hyper focused on VR MAN

Then there is the DO YOU KNO DE WAY joke that you hear every second and wow does it not get funnier the more you hear it

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, sounds like the public rooms are just taken over by the YouTube twitch craze. It's as it ever was for me, but I immediately join my friends in their private worlds.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

I tried the DisplayLink wireless adapter. It felt as good as the TPlink one, maybe slightly better. But the big difference was reading between the lines. TPCast tried to set up a Faraday cage in their booth and had their devices inside it. DisplayLink had their demo right in the hallway. DL at the very least is more confident about its product and the effect of wireless interference on it.

I went back to Pimax after Displaylink, with the Vive image fresh in my mind. I couldn't see any double images, but with the big lenses, I wonder if it was an IPD issue with some people. The display was a little dimmer, but fine.

There was one Vive Pro was at the Intel booth so I got my foot in the door. The unit was hooked up to the worst wireless system. It had a 7ms display lag [which means 10, probably]. Both TPCast and DisplayLink were >2ms [which means 3]. I had a little VRtigo and I play FO4 for hours with no issues with all comfort options off. Intel's wireless VR is trash. All 3 of them support up to 2k/eye visuals.

Unfortunately, the Vive Pro was on that demo, so my opinion of its tracking is tainted [safe to assume it's the same]. Visually it was very nice. It took everything good about the vive and fixed the biggest issues: reading text at any distance and the screen door effect. They didn't answer much of my questions, since the tech there was for the wifi.

If you have a vive and want to upgrade, both the pimax and the pro seem like good choices. If you have a rift and want to upgrade to the vive WOAH, Hot Take Alert it's probably not worth it yet. I kind of feel like we have an apple/pc situation where Vive is supporting 3rd party hardware and Rift isn't.

I think my 'winner' for VR is pimax, and not because of the 8k resolution. Resolution-wise the Vive Pro seems perfectly solid, but FoV makes a big difference. Half the pixels in Pimax are in your peripheral vision and it really helps immersion.

Now if you'll excuse me, an 8k OLED refrigerator has gained sentience and has teamed up with the car audio earbuds, and they're threatening to cut the power to central hall again.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 11, 2018

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
How heavy is the pimax headset? How hot does it get? It looks huge so I'm guessing it's pretty heavy and those 4k screens have to be putting out some serious heat. You also look like a total knob wearing it, more so than even a vive lmao

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

So the thing I learned is that pimax can't run a demo.

They've got an Audio strap style headset on their table. But just lovely straps on the unit. Probably easier to take on and off.

So I'd say it's about Vive weight, a bit more but the right headstrap should mitigate it. I'm more worried about the audio and cabling.

I figured out the tracking issues though. Their flimsy lighthouse stand is 3cm from the line. Someone almost certainly bumped into it during their demo.

Nothing can stop you from looking like a knob though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
could the higher latency on the intel solution have to do with the extra res on the pro?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I've been considering putting together a VR setup with all the hubub starting to pick up lately, and software like Medium and VRChat have kind of gotten my attention. (Man when did Tabletop Simulator get VR support?)

With everything currently out and about, for those who don't have a phone capable of doing the VR headset docking thing, is the Rift still a good bang-for-your buck solution or should I sit on the fence and see what happens in the next few months with the price of other HMDs and controller rollouts?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

The Walrus posted:

could the higher latency on the intel solution have to do with the extra res on the pro?

Nope. They had a nonpro there too with the same delay.

Gearhead posted:

is the Rift still a good bang-for-your buck solution or should I sit on the fence and see what happens in the next few months with the price of other HMDs and controller rollouts?

Rift is the best bang for your buck by a good yard. The Vive is "Better(TM)" but more importantly has upgrades and multiple companies working on it.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 11, 2018

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Rift is the best bang for your buck by a good yard. The Vive is "Better(TM)" but more importantly has upgrades and multiple companies working on it.

That's what I kind of got the impression of while I was working out costs. It feels like if I went with the Vive at this stage I'm just throwing more money in now and more money down the road for incremental upgrades ('Knuckles!' :argh:) while I could get a Rift with good motion controllers for the hands now, for less (even with a third sensor), and play the waiting game to see how the technology progresses over the next few years as more eyes turn towards it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you wanted to buy something right now, I'd say you should probably wait at least until the price for the Pro is released, if not until pimax reviews hit. If you could wait this long, you could probably stand to wait a little longer.

If you were convinced by a demo or something that you really wanted something today yeah Rift easily.