Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/10/overstock-and-coinbase-briefly-mixed-up-bitcoin-and-bitcoin-cash/

whoopsie

quote:

A glitch on Overstock’s website allowed users to send amounts of Bitcoin Cash to Overstock when the system was expecting Bitcoin, leading to drastic discounts on many items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Oh you meant btC

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Party Boat posted:

I love that actual gold rush tactics are working on internet gold

the chinese aren't leaving china though?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Coinbase hosed up and probably lost a bunch of money-oh look some new tethers just appeared.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm genuinely curious what the most liquid asset Overstock sells that you would use to launder it

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm genuinely curious what the most liquid asset Overstock sells that you would use to launder it

The fun part was that if you cancelled the order after paying in bcash you would be refunded in BTC. 85% discount on BTC

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

quote:

In an official announcement, South Korean government reaffirms there will be NO TRADING BAN for #cryptocurrency market in the short term and NOTHING IS FINALIZED.

A petition to fire the head of the Ministry of Justice over the #cryptocurrency trading fiasco filed.

Fellow coiners, please sign this petition.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

"In a surprise decision, as of the morning of January 12, Overstock.com is no longer accepting bitcoin..."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

The fun part was that if you cancelled the order after paying in bcash you would be refunded in BTC. 85% discount on BTC

"HELL YEAH!"

*bitcoin crashes*

"NUTS"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You cannot defeat Bitcoin. Your hate only makes it stronger.

Two interesting links today:
100 most important people in Crypto: https://cryptoweekly.co/100/

and

Moneygram AND Ripple ! Two great tastes that go together! You thought Ripple was R.I.P.? Well think again! Think Crypto! Cryptocurrency is UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!1111111112312fdsagfdsgdshdjmnbvc xbnvfkvcjxfdsz<x
http://ir.moneygram.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1054088

tentish klown posted:

How exactly is it like that? Bitcoins are totally divisible down to the 8th decimal point.

It's Crypto

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ham Sandwiches posted:

My favorite part of that whole thing was when Jamie Dimon posts were being posted as proof of bitcoin being a scam and (self professed) mentally ill poster Prester Jane decided I have a God Complex because I disagreed

Actually what I said was that your absolute certainty in the future playing out in a specific way made you an easy mark for a confidence man.

I still stand by those remarks fwiw.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

This is a pretty dank post.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
this was my first day with a drawing tablet for PC

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Michael Jackson posted:

Nice work, son.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

Nice work, son.

Thank You Burt Sexual

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Michael Jackson posted:

lmao

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Michael Jackson posted:

Nice work! I 100% agree, people (or "sheeple", as I call them in conversation with my numerous friends) are BLIND to the power of Bitcoin! But time will prove Bitcoin true!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Nice work! I 100% agree, people (or "sheeple", as I call them in conversation with my numerous friends) are BLIND to the power of Bitcoin! But time will prove Bitcoin true!

*pro tip window pops up*

Did you know... That to see through the blinding light of bitcoin you need the staff of tetherium. Invest now 20% sale buy buy buy!!!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rad Russian posted:

I legit advise to throw some money in Monero and Zcash if you like gambling. They have actual real world uses by criminal organizations that are starting to pick up.

Everything else is useless trash on a bubble ride.
I would do this except I don't want to spend any effort figuring out how to move the money off a prone-to-insolvency exchange in a secure way where I'm not using compromised wallet software

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hope none of you guys went long on Kodak

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Pochoclo posted:

Hope none of you guys went long on Kodak

I don't have much money but i made a little bit buying during the first dip.

I may not believe bitcoin is the future, but I can put my faith that there are far more idiots out there willing to prop up whatever blockchain thing comes out next. Might as well buy in and sell out at the first peak for every new new blockchain corp.

joats fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 12, 2018

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

we had a discussion a while back about exchanges getting laggy/going offline during high volume times, and some people in this thread asked why they don't use AWS to handle their traffic.

apparently they do. according to this article, the traffic on binance is still too much

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-11/world-s-top-ranked-crypto-venue-added-240-000-users-in-one-hour

they're adding a couple million new users per week lmao

(obviously that is unsustainable but it certainly explains the insane price increases in the short-term)

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
how far away is the moon in fiat dollar terms?

i want to get in before we get there then get off on the moon and die of suffocation due to insufferable smugness with the rest of the team

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Rock Puncher posted:

how far away is the moon in fiat dollar terms?

i want to get in before we get there then get off on the moon and die of suffocation due to insufferable smugness with the rest of the team

A cryptocurrency expert said 4k and nobody believed him

Then he said 10k, and nobody believed him

Then he said 100k, and no one believes him

Draw your own conclusions :agesilaus:

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just wanna say that comfy fleece sweater is thread MVP

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tentish klown posted:

How exactly is it like that? Bitcoins are totally divisible down to the 8th decimal point.

You can't move bitcoins out of a cold wallet, and as soon as you make it hot you're putting the contents of the entire wallet at risk. So it's like going to the bank, withdrawing $15000, going to a store to buy something for $100, and then returning to the bank in order to redeposit the remainder.

And to make the analogy more accurate, you actually gave $150 to someone else, they inspected it for 10-20 minutes, and then they gave the store $100 and now you're allowed to leave with your $100 of merchandise, and then it's off to the bank to redeposit the remainder

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

And to make the analogy more accurate, you actually gave $150 to someone else, they inspected it for 10-20 minutes, and then they gave the store $100 and stole the rest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Don't know what you're talking about, I was able to withdraw fine. You're just jealous.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
i cant wait til bitcoin is at 100k so i can pay $400 a transaction and use as much power it takes to run a city for a day to process it :smug:

currency of the future!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

revwinnebago posted:

Hint: That's why we don't base our currency on the gold standard.

Oh snap.

There are a lot of reasons we don't use the gold standard, this is not one of them.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm gonna buy bitcoin when it goes down to a dollar again and catch the next wave of idiots in 10 years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gonna be pretty funny when the whole thing crashes down and the smugs lose everything.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Michael Jackson posted:

this is going straight on the fridge, great work sport

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Gonna be pretty funny when the whole thing crashes down and the smugs lose everything.

Agreed! I too can't wait for Bitcoin to destroy the current wealthy fiat owners, and I will laugh when they lose everything, for not believing in Satoshi.

If you are reading this, I hope you're running to buy some Bitcoins right now!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

If you are reading this, I hope you're running to buy some Bitcoins right now!

Silly goose! You know buttcoinets can't "run" anywhere!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/kfc_canada/status/951567247583137792?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Back in the green again, the market's rallying for another surge. Buy buY BUY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
BUY AND EAT CHICKEN FOR DEAR LIFE