Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Jimbot posted:

Ask him what he thinks of eugenics. The critic thread just had a multi-page discussion about how his twitter opinions are trash and he's a rather trash person.

What, is he mad Zod was killed 'cause he actually had some good ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Bob literally believes that not only does your preference in video game genre speak deeply of your character and moral worth as a person, but that when the Nerd Rapture (Singularity) comes those whose minds were shaped by the "right kind" of video game/fiction will inherit the earth. Like if Ray Kurzweil and Ignatius Reilly ran into each other at high speed and slammed together so hard they became a single person you'd have Bob

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 11, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, it has to do with real-world politics and keep referring to one section of people as the elite and the other as neanderthals.

https://storify.com/Model_Omega/bob-moviebob-chipman

As I said there, he's just a sad dude who identifies as the media he consumes, so it's kind of like there's a "right" way to do superhero films and then there's a wrong way (aka what Snyder does). But I'd be dollars to donuts that he thought Superman snapping a neck was the epitome of terrible. I'm not going to watch that behemoth of a video but it's probably something along the lines of what a Devin Faraci would write (and completely miss the point of the film).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s two threads im reading that are taking down bob. It’s pretty great. The guy is just weird. Horrible voice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What did he think of Man of Steel again?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

Whatever hot takes generated the most clicks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

Man of Steel a box office flop?! Superman a stone-cold, remorseless killer?! What are Zack Snyder's actual politics?! The Truth may shock you! Click to find out more!

Read that in the Starship Troopers propaganda voice. That's film by another fascist-loving director!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Marvel actually hired someone to write a Black Widow movie, finally.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/marvel-black-widow-jac-schaeffer-screenwriter-1202643908/

Wait, this isn't Red Sparrow?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Bob literally believes that not only does your preference in video game genre speak deeply of your character and moral worth as a person, but that when the Nerd Rapture (Singularity) comes those whose minds were shaped by the "right kind" of video game/fiction will inherit the earth. Like if Ray Kurzweil and Ignatius Reilly ran into each other at high speed and slammed together so hard they became a single person you'd have Bob

Moviebob is the kid from Ready Player One except he was born too early and not very fit

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Burkion posted:

Frankly the Hobbit didn't need to be more than one movie. Just make it three hours and you're golden.

Good post and, yeah, that's the real problem with the films because the first one was rather good except for the obvious padding to somehow make it a trilogy. Lot of good poo poo in the first movie (troll scene, riddles in the dark) and it's no coincidence that almost all of it is directly drawn from and faithful to the book.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I hope first person shooters are on that list

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MovieBob is a fat, ugly, piece of poo poo.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

McSpanky posted:

Wait, this isn't Red Sparrow?

It's like that time Armageddon and Deep Impact came out at the same time only Marvel is at least a year too late

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Bob literally believes that not only does your preference in video game genre speak deeply of your character and moral worth as a person, but that when the Nerd Rapture (Singularity) comes those whose minds were shaped by the "right kind" of video game/fiction will inherit the earth.
Who should I be maining in Overwatch to earn the favour of Roko's Basilisk?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Moviebob goes to show that being a huge online weirdo can even taint correct opinions

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Film Robert's musings on basically every subject are worthless.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope first person shooters are on that list

Haha he quite literally believes FPS games turn people into mentally unfit psychopaths and caused the Iraq War it's great

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gore Verbinski has ditched Gambit, which just yesterday was reported to start shooting in the first week of March.

That's three directors who have bailed on the project. lawl

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They probably told Gore it couldn't be 4 hours long.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zack Snyder, get back in the game for Gambit

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wonder what the hell keeps happening there. Like, with that many directors falling off it's gotta be Tatum who is the problem, right? The guy who is wildly miscast to begin with, but also post-Sony hack has been revealed to be exactly the dim but well-meaning bro he usually portrays?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Zack Snyder, get back in the game for Gambit

Sorry mai petite cherie, but ole Gambit gotta snap ya neck for da good of mankine!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sorry mai petite cherie, but ole Gambit gotta snap ya neck for da good of mankine!

Not my Gambit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sounds like none of the directors have really gotten a charge out of the movie.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

it not you, it Gambit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Haha he quite literally believes FPS games turn people into mentally unfit psychopaths and caused the Iraq War it's great

This is a very sad and broken man huh

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The sad thing about Gambit is that if Channing Tatum didn’t have such a boner for the role, could have concievably been up for Shazam/Captain Marvel, which would have been perfect. I would absolutely buy him playing a kid inexplicably trapped in the body of a neigh-invulnerable superhero imbued with the power of the gods.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They probably told Gore it couldn't be 4 hours long.

He probably wanted to build an actual New Orleans replica city somewhere and told people to find an actual woman who would absorb life through touch.

So is Rogue supposed to be a take on a succubus?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fart City posted:

The sad thing about Gambit is that if Channing Tatum didn’t have such a boner for the role, could have concievably been up for Shazam/Captain Marvel, which would have been perfect. I would absolutely buy him playing a kid inexplicably trapped in the body of a neigh-invulnerable superhero imbued with the power of the gods.

Zachary Levi is a huge dork and an inspired casting choice for Shazam imo.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

This is a very sad and broken man huh

I mean, the guy's entire M.O. with his video essays is to say "yes, the mass public has unassailable taste in these movies! Allow me to espouse how much I agree with these agreeable movies, and disagree with these disagreeable movies!" which is about as fallow and useless a take anyone can take on anything ever and just says to me that this is a person desperate for approval above any belief in anything. He isn't exactly taking something like, say, Masters of The Universe, and giving it a full-hearted defense. Imagine spending hours of your life culling something together that just says "I like what a lot of other people like/I hated what a lot of people hated!"

Then there's the whole Super Mario Bros. 3 thing, and I think that probably clinches it.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

The Cameo posted:

Then there's the whole Super Mario Bros. 3 thing, and I think that probably clinches it.

I've never heard of this guy or his videos (I feel quite lucky reading the descriptions/conversation) but what Super Mario Bros. 3 thing?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok, what's the Super Mario Bros 3 thing?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Lobok posted:

Sounds like none of the directors have really gotten a charge out of the movie.

They have yet to find someone who can really deal with it

feedmyleg posted:

I wonder what the hell keeps happening there. Like, with that many directors falling off it's gotta be Tatum who is the problem, right? The guy who is wildly miscast to begin with, but also post-Sony hack has been revealed to be exactly the dim but well-meaning bro he usually portrays?

Well, Ron Howard should be available fairly soon...

Gatts posted:

So is Rogue supposed to be a take on a succubus?

Yeah, Rogue was actually introduced as a pretty unrepentant villain who enjoyed draining people and was basically a Mutant take on a Vampire/Succubus.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Corrosion posted:

I've never heard of this guy or his videos (I feel quite lucky reading the descriptions/conversation) but what Super Mario Bros. 3 thing?

He thinks it's the high point of human culture or some such, and has written an embarrassing book to that effect.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Get the guy who directed Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans to direct Gambit.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

josh04 posted:

He thinks it's the high point of human culture or some such, and has written an embarrassing book to that effect.

Okay, so I did ask. I did, in fact, ask to know what that thing was.

gently caress.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He wrote an entire book, 200 pages, about Super Mario Bros. 3, in which he refers to the Nintendo/Sega 'console wars' as "my own personal Vietnam", and called the moment he saw Mario 3 for the first time as a historical event on the level of the JFK assassination and 9/11. He also admits he used the game (and games in general) to escape just about every awkward social situation he ran into and at one point admits awe over how people around him managed to deal with problems he simply couldn't handle in day-to-day life.

Note that 3/4ths of this book is just him playing the game in a souped-up Let's Play.

150 pages of Let's Play Super Mario Bros. 3. There is no greater contextual statement made - how aspects of this or that in one level or another fed into later gaming, eventually becoming tropes and shorthand and technique, no points of view on the reverberations that went through the industry in the wake of its release, it's just ten pages on the history of Mario up to that point, forty pages about his childhood and how big Mario was in it (leading to the above statements), and then him endlessly talking about every. loving. Level. Not about the design, or how they were squeezing this or that out of a very limited amount of space, but just "then you bop this goomba, hit this koopa and kick this shell into this block to get the leaf and fly, where there's clouds filled with coins" and maybe a brief moment of synapses firing where he thinks about why they put the coins in the cloud, before shuffling on to the next thing you do in the level.

Super Mario Bros. 3 broke his brain hardcore

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

josh04 posted:

Holy cow you guys gotta read the Goodreads reviews of this poo poo. It is absolutely brutal.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18145442-super-mario-bros-3

Even this dude's fans call it a piece of poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Get the guy who directed Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans to direct Gambit.
I don't think Werner Herzog wants to direct a spandex flick. It would be funny to hear his accent throughout an entire panel at ComiCon, I'll grant you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Cameo posted:

He wrote an entire book, 200 pages, about Super Mario Bros. 3, in which he refers to the Nintendo/Sega 'console wars' as "my own personal Vietnam", and called the moment he saw Mario 3 for the first time as a historical event on the level of the JFK assassination and 9/11. He also admits he used the game (and games in general) to escape just about every awkward social situation he ran into and at one point admits awe over how people around him managed to deal with problems he simply couldn't handle in day-to-day life.

Note that 3/4ths of this book is just him playing the game in a souped-up Let's Play.

150 pages of Let's Play Super Mario Bros. 3. There is no greater contextual statement made - how aspects of this or that in one level or another fed into later gaming, eventually becoming tropes and shorthand and technique, no points of view on the reverberations that went through the industry in the wake of its release, it's just ten pages on the history of Mario up to that point, forty pages about his childhood and how big Mario was in it (leading to the above statements), and then him endlessly talking about every. loving. Level. Not about the design, or how they were squeezing this or that out of a very limited amount of space, but just "then you bop this goomba, hit this koopa and kick this shell into this block to get the leaf and fly, where there's clouds filled with coins" and maybe a brief moment of synapses firing where he thinks about why they put the coins in the cloud, before shuffling on to the next thing you do in the level.

Super Mario Bros. 3 broke his brain hardcore

Had IDEOTV ever done this book? It sounds perfect for them