Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

intardnation posted:

surface detail would never willingly walk into a psychiatrists office.

SurfaceDetail gets dragged to a psychiatrist’s office. Psychiatrist says, “I can clearly see you’re nuts. And your nuts.”

ZING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

tl;dr: don't lick a gift horse in the mouth

Holy poo poo I have no loving idea where that came from but it was much lol

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 11, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

So.... because I am obviously the stupidest person in the room here.

StreetRoller suddenly decides to just sue Chris Roberts and cut through everything apparently.

Why didn’t Derek do this like 2 years ago or more?

Am I missing a thing somewhere?

They still owe him money.

They don't owe me money.

I have no cause of action, other than defamation (which is just a waste of my time and money, as it won't get me to the money part quickly enough to make it worth the hassle) from Ortwin's bullshit C&D accusations of doxxing and stalking, and Croberts 8hr high profile project diatribe.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I have no cause of action

:stare:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
The rusty spotted cat is the world's smallest cat, with adults weighing ~1kg, found in Sri Lanka and India

https://i.imgur.com/a8XQ4Os.gifv

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

intardnation posted:

surface detail would never willingly walk into a psychiatrists office.

Where would he meet his clients?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Abuminable posted:

Mack doesn't like it and he and his bells get the final word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg4eT1jRjEU

I don't remember who's the guy who actually recommended this poo poo and that's for the better.

The blue cheese and yoghurt (only a dollop, to carry the taste) taco man is not as fortunate.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

I thought we determined that was LY code..

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

What's this "we" business, Toast?

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

ManofManyAliases posted:

Who could determine that?

I don't know why, but I somehow doubt they removed every CryEngine library, then meticulously replaced every broken function call in their project for a new one in Lumberyard, refactoring everything that needed new arguments, writing fresh code where equivalent functionality wasn't found, and then fixing everything that this process broke. In their spaghetti code tech demo that was hacked together both by people who have quit, and people who are suing. While they were crunching to put out SC releases to grope for more funding.

Piecemeal converting to a new engine during development, between version releases of a product already being distributed to customers, is ridiculous on it's face. You stop, start a new project with the new engine, and painstakingly port assets over, one by one. Especially if you're trying to change engines to avoid legal obligations, and a single file could be incriminating. Even in smaller projects like Daikatana and Duke Nukem: Forever, this process took over half a year. Even porting KSP to a newer version of Unity was a major endeavor.

They left old code there, either deliberately or just because the devs don't know how anything works, and they're afraid to break it. The management is just crossing fingers, hoping that Lumberyard being a development of CryEngine will conceal this fact.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What if the judge doesn't understand game development?

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

tuo posted:

What if the judge doesn't understand game development?

Exactly. That's what they're hoping.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Ortwin: Excuse me judge, how many video games have you made?

*jury gasps*

Ortwin: I rest my case. *folds hands cross chest and lays back down. the lid on his coffin closes by itself, as if by magic*

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

Just imagine being so disgustingly big that your entire body generates a smell that you can't scrub off. Uuuggghhhh.

People of his size tend to be a bit liberal when it comes to stuff that comes out of their bodies.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Citizen... the pitch they called Citizen
It grew... grew, grew, and grew
Grew up to be, grew up to be
A dream called Citizen--
A dream called Citizen.

It had funds, and ships, and fans, and Beet,
This dream... they called Star Citizen!
And it grew... grew, grew, and grew
Grew up to be...
Yes, it grew up to be
A pre-alpha called Citizen!
A pre-alpha called Citizen...
But the chairman was Roberts.
Yes, the chairman was Roberts,
And the progress was slow
They had nothing to show
Even in 3.0
It was certainly no...
No game named Citizen,
Not a game named Citizen.

And commandos blamed Smart
And bought JPEG concepts
And clipped under the floor
At fifteen FPS...
A scam called Citizen!
This scam called Citizen--
The scam they called Citizen--
This scam called Citizen!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Thoatse posted:

The rusty spotted cat is the world's smallest cat, with adults weighing ~1kg, found in Sri Lanka and India

drat it.

*Adds another pet to the exotic wish list.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

G0RF posted:

SurfaceDetail gets dragged to a psychiatrist’s office. Psychiatrist says, “I can clearly see you’re nuts. And your nuts.”

ZING!

Speaking of which, where is that guy

Come back SurfaceDetail, we miss you

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I just spent about two hours fighting unfinished Bloodborne enemies and bosses that are left in the game, and it felt not only more like a game but also more polished than anything I have ever seen from SC.....and all this stuff never was polished because it was cut from a game that sometimes is known for letting stuff clip through the geometry

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Preen Dog posted:

The employees who allegedly did it in two days but actually struggled with the transition for months before quitting from exhaustion. Guess who's getting deposed first!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Preen Dog posted:

I don't know why, but I somehow doubt they removed every CryEngine library, then meticulously replaced every broken function call in their project for a new one in Lumberyard, refactoring everything that needed new arguments, writing fresh code where equivalent functionality wasn't found, and then fixing everything that this process broke. In their spaghetti code tech demo that was hacked together both by people who have quit, and people who are suing. While they were crunching to put out SC releases to grope for more funding.

Piecemeal converting to a new engine during development, between version releases of a product already being distributed to customers, is ridiculous on it's face. You stop, start a new project with the new engine, and painstakingly port assets over, one by one. Especially if you're trying to change engines to avoid legal obligations, and a single file could be incriminating. Even in smaller projects like Daikatana and Duke Nukem: Forever, this process took over half a year. Even porting KSP to a newer version of Unity was a major endeavor.

They left old code there, either deliberately or just because the devs don't know how anything works, and they're afraid to break it. The management is just crossing fingers, hoping that Lumberyard being a development of CryEngine will conceal this fact.

Counterpoint: Two coders completely ported the engine in two days. Those coders names: John Carmack and Margaret Hamilton.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

Which is Crytek's engine, yes.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Wow. Their new format plans say a lot.

Ship Shape as a weekly fixture says “We really need to juice ship sales and we’re not doing enough commercials as is so let’s just plan on 52 more a year.”

The return of Reverse the Verse starring Devs says a lot, too. (Dammit thread intern we were suggesting that 2 years ago because OBVIOUS. Do you ever pass along the constructive criticism? Or just the staff Chris and Sandi throw fits about?)

So Tony Z. seems especially focused. Oh, hey, did he just break the news that Mining, which last year Chambers said was coming for 3.0, but Chris said the year before was coming in 3.1, is now pushed back to 3.2? Well I guess that’s progress.

Correction, he said they’d “try to get this out” for 3.2. So they’ve got a fallback if need be.

Also interesting, the Server Mesh plans get aired anew. If they’ve spoken of “hundreds and hundreds of servers” for each solar system before, I guess I’ve missed it.

I actually really liked the latter segment where Mike Jones talked about getting 3.0 out over the holidays. Mostly because he’s repeatedly so generous with crediting his team. Singling out Ahmed Shaker (“a one man army”) and repeatedly praising their team (“they’re just so good”) is the polar opposite of hearing Sandi and her “It filters from the top” crap, which came about as she heard Batgirl praising just how good Chelsea (and maybe Alexis?) had been as concierge handlers. Sandi has talked crap elsewhere about not being able to find good marketing people; they apparently don’t measure up to the exacting standards of a Master, right?

Note to the Thread Intern: Tell Sandi and Chris the goons said, “good leaders actually lift their subordinates up, not push them down and hog the credit due them.” Make sure you credit the thread with that blasphemy (otherwise you might get fired for insubordination for such radical talk)

Foo Diddley posted:

Speaking of which, where is that guy

Come back SurfaceDetail, we miss you

Oh I’m sure he’s hanging out somewhere.

ZING!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 12, 2018

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Which is Crytek's engine, yes.

Amazon bought the whole 3.4 (or 3.5 ... whichever it was) tree free and clear. It's not Crytek's anymore.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

Amazon bought the whole 3.4 (or 3.5 ... whichever it was) tree free and clear. It's not Crytek's anymore.
Then why are they suing?
Checkmate.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I had chicken on toast for lunch.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

thatguy posted:

Then why are they suing?
Checkmate.

For fork's sake.

I suck at matting.

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

thatguy posted:

By the way I just want everyone to know that if I had to physically fight someone who couldn't use half of their body I would totally win.
:smug:

Oh yeah ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZRriEcU-Fc

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Thoatse posted:

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CrazyTolradi posted:

Honestly the best thing to come out of SC is AdzAdama's hilarious and weird as gently caress artwork. I hope he never stops.

That guy has had many peaks. One such masterpiece is ET reaching out to touch the flaccid looking cock mushroom while adorned in festive gear.

They should hire him as an artist because at that point Star Citizen may become something very unique in this world. That crazy guy has more creativity in his insane little pinkie than CR does in his entire fraudulent body.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Wow. Their new format plans say a lot.

Ship Shape as a weekly fixture says “We really need to juice ship sales and we’re not doing enough commercials as is so let’s just plan on 52 more a year.”

The return of Reverse the Verse starring Devs says a lot, too. (Dammit thread intern we were suggesting that 2 years ago because OBVIOUS. Do you ever pass along the constructive criticism? Or just the staff Chris and Sandi throw fits about?)

So Tony Z. seems especially focused. Oh, hey, did he just break the news that Mining, which last year Chambers said was coming for 3.0, but Chris said the year before was coming in 3.1, is now pushed back to 3.2? Well I guess that’s progress.

Oh I’m sure he’s hanging out somewhere.

ZING!

That clip reminded me of something. One thing that I've noticed over the past year (and you all have as well, I'm sure) is the big push to "emergent gameplay" which honestly should tell someone everything they need to know about Star Citizen. Even way back during the kickstarter, Star Citizen was billed as being a sandbox, but one rich in deep lore and narrative. Backers (myself included) were excited about how different this would be than the "one faceless spaceman among millions" style of Elite. Chris told us that all the NPCs would have their own lives, their own jobs and tasks. Star Citizen would be the perfect blending of a big sandbox and a rich narrative, giving players freedom without making players feel like just another number.

Kickstarter posted:

Chris Roberts has always wanted to create one cohesive universe that encompasses everything that made Wing Commander and Privateer / Freelancer special. A huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore allowing players to explore or play in whatever capacity they wish. That universe is Star Citizen.

Slowly, like a creeping illness, that has been chipped away and replaced with "emergent gameplay" because they've realized they don't have the capability to make a new WoW without instances. They just don't have the skill or manpower, and quite frankly even if they did, that rich narrative is at odds with other design choices they've made. The walls separating Star Citizen's future (imagined) gameplay from Elite's current gameplay are crumbling, sinking into a sea of excuses. Backers - of course - will tell you differently if you say this, but one look at the way they defend the game not being fun shines a light on their acceptance of emergent gameplay as king. There will be no rich narrative, no complex lore for backers to interact with, because there can't be. What lore and narrative exists will do so as window dressing on Just Another Sandbox Game. Those pirates that interdicted you while you were trying to complete your trade run? Spawned just for you, with no reason or thought given as to your haul or location. Because that's the easiest way to do it, just like Elite. Now you'll "make your own fun" in the 'Verse, because you have to. The Old Gods are dead, all hail Procgen.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 11, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

bandaid.friend posted:

Each time you suggest someone in the thread might be communicating in code, some poor bastard at star citizen gets told to go through every post again to look for secret messages. That's mean!

I’m actually a high level CIG employee. What you don’t know is that I actually have been communicating in code since I began posting.

To know my secrets code, you count the letters from post 1, divide that by the word count of post 2, then subtract the number of punctuations from post 3, to give you the letter you are looking for in post 4. Then rinse and repeat that process.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

:five:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ManofManyAliases posted:

It was determined that what of the copyright was displayed on video matched what is currently the text in Lumberyard, but without having the actual CryEngine to compare it with nothing was determined for sure.

ManofManyAliases posted:

:wrong:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Pure and utter rubbish.

Amazon didn't "buy" it from Crytek, or Crytek won't be able to continue licensing it. That's not how that actually works in software.

Amazon has a CE 3.7 license - just like CIG - but with sub-license rights, and the right to build their own engine from it. All the things that, as per 2.1.2 and 2.4 of the GLA, that CIG can't do. And also, they don't need to display the logos or any of that. This is what Amazon paid $50-70M for.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 11, 2018

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

G0RF posted:

SurfaceDetail walks into a psychiatrist’s office. Psychiatrist says, ’I can clearly see your nuts.’

ZING!

I dont get it

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

that rich narrative is at odds with other design choices they've made.

counterpoint: https://starcitizen.tools/Synthworld

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Streetroller posted:

A random dude with no connection to the game stumbles into my comments section...

You will not be forgotten, stalwart defender...

I'm posting from the past.

Mad props, Streetroller. You're doing God's work.

The comments on there are so ridiculous; the SC community is comprised of some hosed up people (well, duh)

I'm a ginger and have no soul so it's ok for me to say this:

Not to take advantage of your disability, but can't we like #WeSupportStreetroller movement and tag a bunch of those groups that follow these support movements just to spotlight how lovely the community is? I don't do much social media stuff but that would be hilarious and another way to just pour gasoline on the fire

Keep it up, Goon.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Actual existing games post:

Finally finished Uncharted 3 today and picked up Uncharted 4. Apparently there's a january sale going on too, so I also nabbed Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition. Didn't even total the cheapest SC starter pack.

Only problem is that I don't know where I'll find the time to actually finish them both. Uncharted is just a shortish linear action romp, I guess, but HZD seems pretty meaty. This is a problem I would not have had I invested in Star Citizen. Credit where credit is due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Foo Diddley posted:

Anyone who actually understands game development knows that you do all that stuff first, because it is fundamental. Without gameplay mechanics, you don't have a game. So you get them working first, you make sure they're solid, and then you do all the rest once you're sure that you're not wasting your time

The fact that Chris and friends don't understand this tells me, more than anything else about the project, that Star Citizen is never going anywhere. Six years in and they don't even have a prototype. No one knows whether all these planned gameplay systems will work at all, on their own or together, because apart from crate fetching (which is loving broken), they haven't been implemented in any way. Not even on paper, if the developers' rambling about them is any indication

But gently caress, this is probably the billionth post about how CIG is doing everything rear end-backwards. It just constantly amazes me, is all

:wrong:

Step 1: Motion capture
Step 2: Motion capture
Step 3: Motion capture
Step 4: Motion capture
Step 5: Motion capture
Step 6: Well earned vacation
Step 7: Motion capture
Step 8: Work on art assets for several years
Step 9: Nail down the flight model and combat, Add MMO features
Step 10: Emergent gameplay