Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Argyle posted:

I need a garlic press. Anybody have one they're in love with?

Expensive as hell, but super nice. Easy to clean, easy to use and made of all steel, looks like it will last a life time. Here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've had Ikea's 365+ garlic press since 2010 or so. Opens for easy cleaning and can fit two giant or four large cloves at once. $6.99 if there's a store near you.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

obi_ant posted:

Expensive as hell, but super nice. Easy to clean, easy to use and made of all steel, looks like it will last a life time. Here

I bought this one. It's probably the easiest-to-press garlic press I've ever used, but unpressed garlic keeps getting shoved up the sides of the hopper, requiring a scrape-down and re-press. Not a huge problem, but I'm hanging on to it because it's built like a tank and requires less force to press than a lot of cheaper presses I've used. Thanks for the rec!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m looking for an electric water kettle for making coffee. The most I need at any time is 20 oz, probably less. I want something that I can buy once and never think about again. Help?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m looking for an electric water kettle for making coffee. The most I need at any time is 20 oz, probably less. I want something that I can buy once and never think about again. Help?

I've used this here for roughly 4 years so far and it's been great.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've had this for 6 years and it is still kicking strong. https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-...ic+water+kettle

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

I�m looking for an electric water kettle for making coffee. The most I need at any time is 20 oz, probably less. I want something that I can buy once and never think about again. Help?

If you live in a place with hard water, you'll want to boil the kettle with citric acid every now and then to get rid of mineral build up. I've used a similar kettle for years and twice a year or so, I dump in an ounce of citric acid with a full kettle of water to remove the build up. The build up is harmless, but kind of gross to see tiny flakes of stuff floating on top of your coffee.

edit: Zojirushi brand has it in 1oz packets, but this is cheaper per ounce(I just eyeball the measurements)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Low price alternative to the Cuisinart.

I've had one since 2013 with almost daily use, still going strong. There are a lot of low ratings for it dying, but most of these are undoubtedly coming from idiots who put something other than water in them which blows the thermal fuse after solids form over the heating element, and the kettle has to work harder to heat the water.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

For about the same price as the Cuisinart you could get a Bonavita Gooseneck. I've had one for a few years with no problems or complaints. It works great for quickly boiling water for tea or whatever but the gooseneck means that if you decide to get into pourover coffee, you're all set.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PYF sudden onset of option paralysis

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kilometers Davis posted:

PYF sudden onset of option paralysis

Being unexpectedly next to order at a fast food joint when they open up a second register before you were ready.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DrBouvenstein posted:

Being unexpectedly next to order at a fast food joint when they open up a second register before you were ready.

Even though I’m focused on my too many kettles horror, this just shook me to my very core.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

lowcrabdiet posted:

If you live in a place with hard water, you'll want to boil the kettle with citric acid every now and then to get rid of mineral build up. I've used a similar kettle for years and twice a year or so, I dump in an ounce of citric acid with a full kettle of water to remove the build up. The build up is harmless, but kind of gross to see tiny flakes of stuff floating on top of your coffee.

Seconding the Citric Acid rec.

I throw one or two spoonfuls of citric acid into the bottom of my dishwasher whenever I run it. Keeps it nice and shiny in there and the dishes don't come out spotty. If you've ever bought those packets of dishwasher cleaner, this is the same stuff. I bought it in a big bag, have been using it for months, and have barely made a dent.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I just purchased a bunch of emergency food, but uh apparently I need boiling water for it.

Can someone suggest to me one of those survival emergency water boiling things? I would prefer to be able to purchase it from Amazon.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

obi_ant posted:

I just purchased a bunch of emergency food, but uh apparently I need boiling water for it.

Can someone suggest to me one of those survival emergency water boiling things? I would prefer to be able to purchase it from Amazon.

Would it be mean to use this to start a gbs thread?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Would it be mean to use this to start a gbs thread?

Hey man. I'm trying to survive out here. Come to think of it, I haven't visited GBS since they made it 2.0 a few years ago...

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
How long are you expecting to store this boiling water?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Inspector 34 posted:

I keep a blanket, road flares, and constantly-boiling water in my trunk at all times.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Have you considered swapping out your internal commission engine in favor of a steam engine? Kind of a built-in boiler that way.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Inspector 34 posted:

You freeze it and use it for later duh.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

obi_ant posted:

You're probably going to want a camping stove. Depending on what kind of scenario you're planning on riding out will determine the type of fuel. Propane is the easiest to use but propane cylinders are bulky and don't last very long. White gas is slightly more difficult (you have to prime the burner - they vaporize the fuel by passing it through a metal tube that gets exposed to flame) but is more economical with fuel by volume. In this category there are also "universal" fuel stoves that will run on pretty much any flammable light petroleum distillate - gasoline, kerosene, jet fuel, etc - denatured alcohol or practically any flammable fluid light enough to flow through the stove's internals.

If you're looking for something to use in the event of a collapse of society scenario there are wood fired camping stoves, which are basically a charcoal chimney starter with some kind of platform on top to balance pots/pans/kettles on.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Jan 10, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

obi_ant posted:

I do a bunch of backpacking, and honestly the easiest and probably most shelf stable fuel would be esbit tablets. They're little solid fuel tablets you can use with a small folding esbit stove, and they cost six bucks a dozen last time I bought them on Amazon. A small one liter pot to boil water with, like the olicamp pot with the heat exchanger would be twenty bucks, and serve you great if you ever wanted to take it camping or something. A regular kitchen pot would be super inefficient and may not balance very well on the tiny stove.

If this is for emergency preparation, the additional benefit is the small size of the whole setup.

The esbit tablets also make great fire starters, fyi.

E: In an emergency, food is the last thing you'll probably care about. Clean drinking water is far far far more important, fyi. A gallon per person, per day is the usual recommendation. Enough for a day or two should be sufficient time for emergency services to reach you. A filter, like the Sawyer squeeze or BeFree, would only work with bacteria, and doesn't help against viruses or chemical contaminants. Judging by the quality of water in say Houston during the recent flooding, you're pretty much hosed on treating that open sewer.

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Jan 10, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

obi_ant posted:

If you have MREs get the heating pouches. Just make sure you have a rock or something.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Dick Trauma posted:

a rock or something

Good drat there is no finer phrase than this to be found in any technical literature

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Geoj posted:

You're probably going to want a camping stove. Depending on what kind of scenario you're planning on riding out will determine the type of fuel. Propane is the easiest to use but propane cylinders are bulky and don't last very long. White gas is slightly more difficult (you have to prime the burner - they vaporize the fuel by passing it through a metal tube that gets exposed to flame) but is more economical with fuel by volume. In this category there are also "universal" fuel stoves that will run on pretty much any flammable light petroleum distillate - gasoline, kerosene, jet fuel, etc - denatured alcohol or practically any flammable fluid light enough to flow through the stove's internals.

If you're looking for something to use in the event of a collapse of society scenario there are wood fired camping stoves, which are basically a charcoal chimney starter with some kind of platform on top to balance pots/pans/kettles on.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I do a bunch of backpacking, and honestly the easiest and probably most shelf stable fuel would be esbit tablets. They're little solid fuel tablets you can use with a small folding esbit stove, and they cost six bucks a dozen last time I bought them on Amazon. A small one liter pot to boil water with, like the olicamp pot with the heat exchanger would be twenty bucks, and serve you great if you ever wanted to take it camping or something. A regular kitchen pot would be super inefficient and may not balance very well on the tiny stove.

If this is for emergency preparation, the additional benefit is the small size of the whole setup.

The esbit tablets also make great fire starters, fyi.

E: In an emergency, food is the last thing you'll probably care about. Clean drinking water is far far far more important, fyi. A gallon per person, per day is the usual recommendation. Enough for a day or two should be sufficient time for emergency services to reach you. A filter, like the Sawyer squeeze or BeFree, would only work with bacteria, and doesn't help against viruses or chemical contaminants. Judging by the quality of water in say Houston during the recent flooding, you're pretty much hosed on treating that open sewer.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I'm looking to pretty much build some sort of bug out bag / emergency kit. There was an earthquake where I live and I decided that I need some sort of kit. I have roughly 6 gallons of water in individual jugs stored in a plastic bin, it isn't much but I live in the city and it's the best I can do so far.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I'm looking to pretty much build some sort of bug out bag / emergency kit. There was an earthquake where I live and I decided that I need some sort of kit. I have roughly 6 gallons of water in individual jugs stored in a plastic bin, it isn't much but I live in the city and it's the best I can do so far.

I ran across this recently: http://quakepal.com/

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

obi_ant posted:

That's actually really helpful to know what kind of event you're preparing for! The water is great, six gallons should be plenty, just watch out for expiration dates (eg plastic containers degrading and leaching contaminants over time).

If I could make a few additional recommendations:

-Non sparking wrench to turn off gas lines

-Leather work gloves (clearing debris, broken glass)

-Dust mask & Safety goggles

-Pry bar/wrecking bar

-Glow sticks

-hand crank or solar radio

I wouldn't go overboard on medical supplies, only stuff you know how to use, eg gauze roll, rubbing alcohol, liquid bandage, and leukotape are great things to have. Tweezers and nail clippers are good to have as well.

You probably already know this, but designating a structurally sound part of the building for shelter is also high up on the list.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I'm looking for some thoughts on a nice beefy air cleaner. I work from home and I finally have a nice home office all to myself and I want to make sure I never have to dust my anime figurine shelf. Amazon has a GermGuardian AC4825 which does at least look slick and is well reviewed, and the price seems decent. But if there's something better than can really keep the dust off my surfaces long term that would be excellent. The office itself isn't super big, about 11x11 feet with a 10 foot ceiling. We do have cats but they're generally not allowed in the office itself. Having a quiet mode when I'm in the office and a less quiet mode when I'm not might be the most efficient way to go but I don't know, I've never bought one for myself.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
My Nexus 7 is showing signs of slowly dying.
I'd prefer a device that's as nearly identical to it as possible, but what I'm looking for may not exist:
- Clean Android, no manufacturer crapware;
- About Nexus 7 sized. That one had a 7 inch screen but a lot of bezel space, so I'm kind of flexible on this;
- Available in Europe;
- A lot more recent so it can last me another couple of years.

What are my options? Am I looking for a product that no longer exists?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

EricBauman posted:

I'd prefer a device that's as nearly identical to it as possible, but what I'm looking for may not exist:
- About Nexus 7 sized. That one had a 7 inch screen but a lot of bezel space, so I'm kind of flexible on this;
- Available in Europe;

Recommend me a Phone or Plan Megathread

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nexus 7 is a tablet.

KoB
May 1, 2009

EricBauman posted:

when I last checked the answer to your 2nd question was "yes", and definitely not in the N7 priceframe.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

KoB posted:

Nexus 7 is a tablet.

Recommend me a Tablet Megathread!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

EricBauman posted:

- Available in Europe;

Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus was halfway decent on paper when it was announced. Check the reviews, I guess. Don't know if the price will please you. There's a tablet thread in IYG if you want, but they're justifiably stuck on the Fire tablets you can get for peanuts in the usa.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Through The Decade posted:

I'm looking for some thoughts on a nice beefy air cleaner. I work from home and I finally have a nice home office all to myself and I want to make sure I never have to dust my anime figurine shelf. Amazon has a GermGuardian AC4825 which does at least look slick and is well reviewed, and the price seems decent. But if there's something better than can really keep the dust off my surfaces long term that would be excellent. The office itself isn't super big, about 11x11 feet with a 10 foot ceiling. We do have cats but they're generally not allowed in the office itself. Having a quiet mode when I'm in the office and a less quiet mode when I'm not might be the most efficient way to go but I don't know, I've never bought one for myself.

I have one of those and I don't have any complaints about it. I'm not sure it'll entirely eliminate dust or anything, but it's solid. Get an extra pack of charcoal filters for replacements later on too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is there a recommend me a laptop megathread?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Tunicate posted:

Is there a recommend me a laptop megathread?

Laptop Megathread....!!!!11!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thanks

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

KoB posted:

when I last checked the answer to your 2nd question was "yes", and definitely not in the N7 priceframe.

This makes me sad. Why does Google have to take away all the things I like? They should have kept making Nexi 7 and Nexi 5 with updated insides forever.

Thanks! Will give that thread a read later today.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus was halfway decent on paper when it was announced. Check the reviews, I guess. Don't know if the price will please you. There's a tablet thread in IYG if you want, but they're justifiably stuck on the Fire tablets you can get for peanuts in the usa.

Yeah, the Lenovo Tab 4 8 (plus or no plus) was one of the only devices I could find in the same niche. I'm kind of anxious about it maybe not getting Android 8. And I think I need to try one out in real life before I pull the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I love my Levi's but the zippers always fall down just a little bit and it's annoying (I own two identical pairs). Who makes jeans with zippers that lock up tight and stay put?