Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey all, I'm kind of just now getting back into anime and manga. So let's ask for two recommendations.

First up I recently finished Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Loved it. It's sweet, gay as hell, I think it's funny, and just all around chill. It reminds me of stuff like Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya. More stuff like that would be great.

Second, lets go for some darker superhero/action orientated stuff that still manages to be uplifting in the end. Stuff like Madoka Magica and Neon Genesis Evengellion.

And, this might be a big ask, but try to recommend stuff that doesn't feature as much of the creepier stuff that anime is known for as possible.

Not super action oriented but Princess Tutu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

i haven't seen evangelion but devilman's ending is the bleakest piece of fiction i think i've ever experienced

evangelion ends with the literal end of the world, some unstated percentage of humanity loving off to become one big de-individualized mass consciousness, and one of the protagonists barely backing down from strangling the other on a desolate beach next to the graves of everyone else they've ever known while the giant decaying corpse of a supernatural manifestation that used to be the OTHER protagonist turns the ocean red with its blood and slowly falls apart

in context, however, this is slightly better than things could have gone and arguably fits with the idea that as long as you're alive there's still the possibility of happiness, so :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey all, I'm kind of just now getting back into anime and manga. So let's ask for two recommendations.

First up I recently finished Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Loved it. It's sweet, gay as hell, I think it's funny, and just all around chill. It reminds me of stuff like Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya. More stuff like that would be great.

Second, lets go for some darker superhero/action orientated stuff that still manages to be uplifting in the end. Stuff like Madoka Magica and Neon Genesis Evengellion.

And, this might be a big ask, but try to recommend stuff that doesn't feature as much of the creepier stuff that anime is known for as possible.

New Game S1 has some pretty heavy cheesecake (basically around the same level as kobayashi) but centers around the relationships between a cast of women working in the games industry, and is generally really goofy and chill, with a ton of gags focusing around the gay couple leading the team. S2 is less relaxed, but it's a lot sweeter as a simple relationship drama--it doesn't pull out any sort of cheap melodrama, it purely focuses on how the stress of working in the industry affects the cast and their relationships with each other, and how they grow closer together through it.

Flip Flappers is a bizarre action/magical girl anime focusing around the relationship between two girls, it goes in a lot of directions with the second half taking a much darker tone than the first but ultimately ends with the two leads getting together and finding genuine joy in their every day lives and their relationships with each other and the world around them. It's my personal favorite of 2016, but there are some shots in a few episodes that might weird you out.

Kyousougiga is a really imaginative story about a little girl with a dimension-warping hammer learning about her family, who've been distanced from each other across the multiverse for decades, and ultimately bringing them back together by headbutting her dad a lot. It's directed by a woman who got her start working on action magical girl shows for little girls, so it's also devoid of any sort of fanservice.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 12, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

evangelion ends with the literal end of the world, some unstated percentage of humanity loving off to become one big de-individualized mass consciousness, and one of the protagonists barely backing down from strangling the other on a desolate beach next to the graves of everyone else they've ever known while the giant decaying corpse of a supernatural manifestation that used to be the OTHER protagonist turns the ocean red with its blood and slowly falls apart

in context, however, this is slightly better than things could have gone and arguably fits with the idea that as long as you're alive there's still the possibility of happiness, so :v:

This isn't the thread for it but...

That's the ending to the movie "End of Evangelion" Where the main character decides to learn jack poo poo and just be a miserable piece of poo poo for the rest of his life. Because that's what makes him human. The ending to the show itself shows him learning "If I am ever going to be happy and have healthy relationships with other people, then I need to learn to actually like myself and see that I have value." Cue the cast telling him congratulations. I then assume he joins the mass consciousness

To me it makes more sense to see the show ending and the movie ending as two different timelines. A good ending and a bad ending.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean devilman's ending is everyone except a single person is dead, this is the worst possible way everything could have gone, to the point that even the antagonist is in incredible pain and anguish over how it turned out

though personally for me the worst part was right before the ending where a sweet girl makes an encouraging rallying cry on the internet to keep up hope and love as the world is consumed by mass hysteria, only to be ripped apart by a lynch mob and have her dismembered body parts put on pikes and paraded in front of her burning house

like there's not really any uplifting part of devilman's ending, at all. the closest is the inevitability of god stepping in to gently caress satan's life up forever, no matter what he accomplishes

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Flip Flappers is an uplifting coming-of-age story told via magical girl transformations, pocket dimensions, questionably ethical science experiments, and explosions. It is very gay, very weird, and very wonderful. Could fit for the the second part of BigRed's post.

And now when I hit "preview post" I see The Colonel has already recommended it...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

That's the ending to the movie "End of Evangelion" Where the main character decides to learn jack poo poo and just be a miserable piece of poo poo for the rest of his life. Because that's what makes him human. The ending to the show itself shows him learning "If I am ever going to be happy and have healthy relationships with other people, then I need to learn to actually like myself and see that I have value." Cue the cast telling him congratulations. I then assume he joins the mass consciousness

To me it makes more sense to see the show ending and the movie ending as two different timelines. A good ending and a bad ending.

(Evangelion stuff follows)

Shinji absolutely does not join the mass consciousness, even if you take the series ending by itself. The last two episodes are incredibly clear on the point that separation, while painful, is essential to having your own identity, and the thought that the infamous "congratulations" sequence is a response to is "maybe I can learn to love myself," which would make no sense if he were going to no longer have a self.

I'm more of the attitude that the two endings are concurrent, with the difference in tone being that the TV ending is basically Shinji being held in his mother's metaphorical arms and reassured that life is worth living while the EoE ending is the struggle to actually live, with all the ugliness and rough edges that implies. This is also supported by the fact that brief clips from End of Evangelion (or the earlier meant-for-TV but never-aired version of it) play throughout episodes 25 and 26.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 12, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
always count on me to recommend flip flappers, motherfucker

i'd also recommend checking out houseki no kuni, it's in kind of a weird place as a partial adaptation of an ongoing manga, but for what it is, it's a really incredible show about a whole loving lot of really interesting things and was my personal favorite show of 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BigRed0427 posted:

No, the series ending is very much "we've run out of money. Anyone got any bright ideas for the last two episodes?"

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Colonel posted:

always count on me to recommend flip flappers, motherfucker

i'd also recommend checking out houseki no kuni, it's in kind of a weird place as a partial adaptation of an ongoing manga, but for what it is, it's a really incredible show about a whole loving lot of really interesting things and was my personal favorite show of 2017

Houseki No Kuni / "Land of the Lustrous" is incredible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, the series ending is very much "we've run out of money. Anyone got any bright ideas for the last two episodes?"

wrong

they ran out of time, because they originally sent what basically amounted to a 40-minute cut of End of Evangelion to be aired and the censor laughed in their face and told them to forget it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

wrong

they ran out of time, because they originally sent what basically amounted to a 40-minute cut of End of Evangelion to be aired and the censor laughed in their face and told them to forget it

Huh, I'd always heard budget :stare:.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
specifically, houseki no kuni is a really surreal show with a very strange, beautiful sense for action, that centers around things like personal insecurity with your own body, and struggling with guilt over being responsible for someone's "death" in a world where death isn't really familiar to people as a concept. it's really fantastic and there isn't a show quite like it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Time is an important part of budgets so it's technically still true.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Huh, I'd always heard budget :stare:.

it's also worth remembering that the big-picture plot of Evangelion wasn't fully determined ahead of time and that Anno changed his mind about how the series should end constantly

early materials for the show are full of stuff like the Evangelions themselves being relics left by an ancient civilization and all kinds of wacky poo poo that contradicts or at least is not supported by the show we actually got

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

It probably reminds you of Haruhi because it's the same studio and has some of the same staff, even all these years later. I'd recommend checking out some of KyoAni's other stuff - Hibike! Euphonium has some drama that ends up in a very sweet place, and while its humor is more lowkey character expressions/banter, it's still very funny. It's also about band geeks, if you ever were in band in high school, and has a ton of well-done concert scenes. There's also K-on, which is mostly just comedy and characters bouncing off each other, but is very likable even if the jokes aren't always amazing.

There's also New Game, which is about women who work at a small game studio. It's got some fanservice but way less than dragon maid had, honestly, and also some fairly heavily implied relationships between a few characters. The first season is mostly slice of life gags, but the second season gets a bit more into game development and the main character trying to succeed as a character designer for games, and actually does it pretty well, with a very satisfying ending. It's also pretty funny, especially in the second season when the gags are paced a bit better and there's more variety to the show's tone, though the first season still has some good jokes.

BigRed0427 posted:

People have already mentioned some of the things I'd want to mention, like Symphogear and Utena, so I'll just toss in some corner shots and see if they catch your eye.

Princess Tutu has a very fairytale aesthetic and its action scenes are depicted as ballet scenes for the most part, but it's a very creative show, fairly dark, and incredibly uplifting towards the end. Its darkness is more philosophical and a heavily oppressive atmosphere in the middle than literal death and gore and such, though, so depends on what you're looking for. It plays very heavily with metanarratives about the nature of fiction itself, with characters literally talking about the nature of stories, so if you're into that kind of thing it's cool.

Rahxephon is often compared to Evangelion, and I enjoy it a bit more - it's very confusing at the start, but the characters and their arcs are very well done and its convoluted situation is wrapped up much more cleanly than evangelion, IMO. That said, the action is pretty sparse - entire 3 episode arcs go by without any fighting - so again, depends on what you're looking for.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That’s because people shout “budget” very single time any single thing they don’t like happens in anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in the time it took me to write that post literally everything there got mentioned

well except rahxephon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t1_35xiub4

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I ended up watching most of rahxephon a while ago but started to lose interest towards the end.

In regards to BigRed, have you watched the new Evangelion movies?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

can someone speak up for Amanchu, because everything i've heard about it makes it seem like something perfectly in line with Dragon Maid (maybe less comedy-focused?) but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

in the time it took me to write that post literally everything there got mentioned

the moral is to never put effort into anything

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dogsicle posted:

can someone speak up for Amanchu, because everything i've heard about it makes it seem like something perfectly in line with Dragon Maid (maybe less comedy-focused?) but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

oh yeah, Amanchu is pretty much a perfect pick if you want something relaxed and gay too. it's a really chill story about a super shy and awkward girl easing into living on her own in a new town with the help of a really excitable girl who loves diving, it's got a really good ova episode that came out recently and a second season airing this year.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

dogsicle posted:

I knew I was forgetting one! Yeah, Amanchu is good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNvDYKKAjs

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's adapted from another manga by the Aria author, for any fans of that and hosed up cat designs.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

dogsicle posted:

I liked Amanchu a lot, though if we're comparing with Maid Dragon then I'll say Amanchu is much more laid back and a bit less comedy-focused. It's very comparable to Aria in its ultra comfy mood (no surprise, same author), but with a real world setting instead of sci-fi and also considerably gayer.

https://i.imgur.com/9irm3qM.gifv

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

You might enjoy Mai-HiME, It's a darker-leaning actiony magical girl show that has some funny, uplifting, and gay parts and also has a great soundtrack.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Yearly update for Twelve Kingdoms fans:

The new novel continues to be delayed. Fuyumi Ono has not been very healthy but has still been writing. The publication is now planned for some time in 2018, but who really knows.

Eugune Woodbury started and finished a fan translation of Hisho's Birds, the most recent book (of short stories) to be published. This means there is now a good quality English translation of the entire series except for a single short story. He also plans to translate the new book, whenever it comes out, which is great news.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BigRed0427 posted:

Serial Experiments Lain, Boogiepop Phantom and The Big O. Uplifting endings not guaranteed though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Serial Experiments Lain, Boogiepop Phantom and The Big O. Uplifting endings not guaranteed though.

Be aware that Boogiepop Phantom is pretty hit-and-miss, but worth sticking with. The arching plot episodes aren't great, but the standalone ones are amazingly hosed up in fascinating ways :suspense:.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheEye posted:

Yearly update for Twelve Kingdoms fans:

The new novel continues to be delayed. Fuyumi Ono has not been very healthy but has still been writing. The publication is now planned for some time in 2018, but who really knows.

Eugune Woodbury started and finished a fan translation of Hisho's Birds, the most recent book (of short stories) to be published. This means there is now a good quality English translation of the entire series except for a single short story. He also plans to translate the new book, whenever it comes out, which is great news.
Thanks TheEye such updates remain appreciated even if just from me.

I should check into a couple of other novel series I had been following at some point. Banner of the Stars author I think did put out a book or two over the years, and I can only assume Haruhi is still on indefinite hiatus because I'm sure I would have heard otherwise.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm having a really rough time with some stuff right now, and would love something to watch to keep my mind off things. is there a good comedy anime that won't give my mind any time to wander and also has absolutely nothing to do with sex or romantic relationships

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm having a really rough time with some stuff right now, and would love something to watch to keep my mind off things. is there a good comedy anime that won't give my mind any time to wander and also has absolutely nothing to do with sex or romantic relationships

This goon needs 26cc's of Nichijou, stat! :science:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ninjewtsu posted:

Tsuritama is some good friends with some good feels doing some good fishin'.

E: I wish there was a way to find/link the OP because it can do all the convincing for me. All the versions on youtube have seemingly been diced apart for DMCA or whatever reasons.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 12, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BigRed0427 posted:

I dunno what your threshold is on the skeevier aspects of anime if you're not mentioning the bad parts of dragon maid, but if you want a dark hero action series, may I recommend Keyman: The Hand of Judgement. It's drawn in a really stark, inky black and white noir artstyle, and is set in not-1930s chicago, focuses around a mysterious superhero named Keyman, and stars a noir detective who's Too Old For This poo poo, and who is also a tyrannosaurus beastman in a trenchcoat and fedora. The one really skeevy part is doctor necro, who is scantily clad for the first dozen or so chapters until someone tells her to "put on some goddamn clothes". After that the only sexualization is of adult characters. The style is really interesting and the body horror aspects of it are suitably grotesque. I haven't caught up to it recently but the part I read up to was intriguing, where a certain character turns traitor.

Endorph posted:

Rahxephon is often compared to Evangelion, and I enjoy it a bit more - it's very confusing at the start, but the characters and their arcs are very well done and its convoluted situation is wrapped up much more cleanly than evangelion, IMO. That said, the action is pretty sparse - entire 3 episode arcs go by without any fighting - so again, depends on what you're looking for.
rahxephon is quite good and has some of the most emotional moments I can recall in an anime I've seen. The episode with his girlfriend made me stop watching the series for a while because man, I felt miserable after that.

dogsicle posted:

I've read a bunch of the manga and it's a chill-rear end slice of life series about diving and maybe probably DEFINITELY lesbians

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I admit, it’s a REALLY suggestive line. But for me it’s. “This show has gotten so creepy with how it sexualizes it’s characters that the only way to make it less creepy is if the show became a hentai and everyone’s started loving.” Because then at lease we have a reason to be shoving the camera up this one character’s butthole.

And thanks for the recommendations everybody. When I get home I’m watching Amanchu. This show looks sweet. :3

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 12, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A friend asked me today "What's the most Power Rangers anime you can recommend?" and I don't know what would be appropriate. What say you, goons?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Gatchaman maybe?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wark Say posted:

A friend asked me today "What's the most Power Rangers anime you can recommend?" and I don't know what would be appropriate. What say you, goons?

Cyborg 009, Gatchaman, Bubblegum Crisis, Ronin Warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If funny parodies of Power Rangers are okay too, DBZ has the Ginyu Force obviously, Excel Saga has a pretty great one, Shinesman is loving hilarious, and Future Diary has a brief (but loving excellent) one early on