Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wish they still had a big hook to pull people off stage.

Actually, was that ever a thing or was it just in cartoons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Where would you even buy hemlock these days?

It grows wild down by my creek, kinda looks like parsley.Want some? It blooms in spring.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

it was an old vaudeville thing I think.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

What's the schadenfreude here?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Puseklepp posted:

Walmart is one of the companies that is benefiting greatly from the Trump tax plan. So to celebrate, they're giving some of their workers a very modest pay rise, and also firing thousands of others.

Roobanguy posted:

in case anyone sees this and is confused, walmart owns sams club.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Puseklepp posted:

A lot of people are gonna get fired while the people that are staying are getting minimal benefits that they should've had for 15 years now.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

It really is the most minimal non effort benefits so millionaires could say the tax cut is helping the middle class.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Amateur Night at the Apollo in Harlem do it based on audience reaction. They have the stage lights go nuts and clowns come on stage and start sweeping the stage and nudging the performer toward the wings with the broom if they don't move fast enough. And the audience is absolutely brutal, so it happens a lot.

But the flip side of that is cool too. If the audience likes you, they really like you which is a neat reaction to see. You can visibly see the performer get filled up by a good reception and they probably give the best performance of their life at that moment.

Anyone going to NY needs to experience the Apollo Theater. It's an incredible experience.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Jan 12, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Bits from the actual lawsuit:

Salt the earth.

chitoryu12 posted:

Please don't make me root for the "I'm autistic therefore women can't be programmers" guy.

Why are y’all cheering the guy abusing the legal system to humiliate his former coworkers?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Platystemon posted:

Why are y’all cheering the guy abusing the legal system to humiliate his former coworkers?

Because owning the libs spans the whole political spectrum.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Because some folks think that hating the right set of bad things, and doing so louder than the people around you, is the way to be part of the in-group. That their vocal outrage at the fact that certain kinds of people exist translates directly into social status.

Oh wait that's implying a parallel that I genuinely didn't mean to imply.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
November 17, 2016

Today

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

So Trump's new ambassador to the Netherlands is a Republican ex-congressman who made a stir a few years ago when he claimed that politicians and cars were being burned by Muslims there, who had effectively turned parts of the country into "no-go zones".

Apparently he never considered that the Dutch media might call him out on it once he showed up for his new job.

https://twitter.com/RGjournalist/status/951102206325002240

quote:

Reporters seeking clarification on Wednesday asked him about a half dozen follow up questions.

“Are politicians being burned in the Netherlands in the past? Is that something you believe? Yes or no,” one asked.

The ambassador repeated that he did not want to revisit the remarks and that he had expressed his regrets. He then stopped replying, looking silently around the room as journalists continued to question him, according to a video of the event published by The Associated Press.

“Any example of a Dutch politician who is burned in recent years?” one reporter asked.

“This is the Netherlands, you have to answer questions,” another said, as Mr. Hoekstra remained silent.

“Please, this is not how it works,” another reporter said.

This is the Netherlands, you have to answer questions

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Known Lecher posted:

So Trump's new ambassador to the Netherlands is a Republican ex-congressman who made a stir a few years ago when he claimed that politicians and cars were being burned by Muslims there, who had effectively turned parts of the country into "no-go zones".

Apparently he never considered that the Dutch media might call him out on it once he showed up for his new job.

That's not even first time either he's been made to look like a little bitch in front of people that don't lob him soft rear end question

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

We have to make sure we spread the incompetence internationally as well. It's not right for us to hog it all.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

Known Lecher posted:

So this is how a media that actually gives a gently caress about journalism behaves.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I've been going down the Russian dashcam rabbit hole lately:

Blast Corps the Motion Picture looking good

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

AlmightyBob posted:

Circuit City is coming back so we're due for some future schadenfreude when that fails again
Oh it's already started, enjoy this state-of-the-art vision of their future showrooms, that certainly doesn't look like a custom Quake 3 map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJDAZZ7kF14

Also have an appropriately snarky Ars article.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/the-corpse-of-circuit-city-will-rise-again-on-february-15/

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Knormal posted:

Oh it's already started, enjoy this state-of-the-art vision of their future showrooms, that certainly doesn't look like a custom Quake 3 map.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/the-corpse-of-circuit-city-will-rise-again-on-february-15/

I'm the YALE door.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
"But I didn't get wet."

https://i.imgur.com/gjwCA5B.mp4

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Baronjutter posted:

I used to wonder if all those eastern european dash cam vids were just because of how many people have dash cams over there, or if poo poo like that was going on all the time. A couple trips to Ukraine made me strongly believe it's a bit of both, leaning towards the later. Some amazingly unsafe and gently caress up driving and road conditions there.

I feel like if you put dashcams on the same percentage of cars in North America you'd catch a ton of crazy poo poo too. But the Russian ones are bizarre in that like a dump truck will come flying out of nowhere into a parking lot, screeching to a halt on its side just inches from a little old lady. And then she'll glance at it and keep walking, like she didn't almost just get turned into paste. A lot of times the prevailing attitude of bystanders is "Whoops, poo poo happens."

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Grem posted:

The goon guy is Raley's Confectionary. No idea if Lofty Pursuits used to be goon run or whatever, I think that guy was confused cause they make the same stuff.

Wes Raley used to work for Lofty Pursuits and was the guy in a lot of the aforementioned videos. Then he went out on his own with Raley's Confectionary.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Knormal posted:

Enjoy the lovely floor layout of THE FUTURE! Where everything is designed to not utilize the floor space and short enough so nobody is out of the sight of the underpaid staff or discount security cameras!

The whole thing looks like a really cheap Radio Shack.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

wheatpuppy posted:

Wes Raley used to work for Lofty Pursuits and was the guy in a lot of the aforementioned videos. Then he went out on his own with Raley's Confectionary.

Gotcha, goes back further than my goon knowledge.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EKDS5k posted:

I feel like if you put dashcams on the same percentage of cars in North America you'd catch a ton of crazy poo poo too. But the Russian ones are bizarre in that like a dump truck will come flying out of nowhere into a parking lot, screeching to a halt on its side just inches from a little old lady. And then she'll glance at it and keep walking, like she didn't almost just get turned into paste. A lot of times the prevailing attitude of bystanders is "Whoops, poo poo happens."

Yeah, I'm a bit addicted to dash cam videos and I notice every country/region has its own flavour.

-Canadian dash cams are really boring and what makes the big compilation videos are like "look at this guy trying to turn left from the middle lane and someone honks to correct him and he goes straight instead!" or "look at this sort of close call"
-US dash cams are dominated by pig-headed aggressive driving. Tons of extremely avoidable accidents caused by people just refusing to slow down when someone in front of them is doing something unsafe because they have right of way and it's better to smash full speed into a car than ever back down and yield right of way to someone else when you're in the right. Also gently caress pedestrians and bikes.
-Australian dash cams are a nice middle ground of entertaining little accidents and close calls and a lot of hilarious Australian reactions and swearing.
-European dash cams are pretty diverse and are often dominated by assholes in BMW's or Audi's speeding and driving extremely recklessly and self-owning them selves.
-Chinese dash cams are either mindbogglingly inexcusable mostly harmless low-speed accidents by people with no driving skills or spacial awareness or extremely brutal death on the road. Chinese drivers also seem to like to hit the gas when ever something happens or they get startled and enter some panic state where they only stop once their car is incapable of driving like some GTA civilian AI fleeing from gunfire.
-Russian dash cams are just full on insanity. A tank out of nowhere nearly misses a tanker truck and is then cut off by a lada speeding down the oncoming lane towing a 1-wheeled trailer full of potatos. Doing 150 down an ice covered rural road then spinning out of control to avoid the stray towed artillery gun that got loose and was rolling down a hill. It's absolute non stop madness and zero fucks given by anyone.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit addicted to dash cam videos and I notice every country/region has its own flavour.

-Canadian dash cams are really boring and what makes the big compilation videos are like "look at this guy trying to turn left from the middle lane and someone honks to correct him and he goes straight instead!" or "look at this sort of close call"
-US dash cams are dominated by pig-headed aggressive driving. Tons of extremely avoidable accidents caused by people just refusing to slow down when someone in front of them is doing something unsafe because they have right of way and it's better to smash full speed into a car than ever back down and yield right of way to someone else when you're in the right. Also gently caress pedestrians and bikes.
-Australian dash cams are a nice middle ground of entertaining little accidents and close calls and a lot of hilarious Australian reactions and swearing.
-European dash cams are pretty diverse and are often dominated by assholes in BMW's or Audi's speeding and driving extremely recklessly and self-owning them selves.
-Chinese dash cams are either mindbogglingly inexcusable mostly harmless low-speed accidents by people with no driving skills or spacial awareness or extremely brutal death on the road. Chinese drivers also seem to like to hit the gas when ever something happens or they get startled and enter some panic state where they only stop once their car is incapable of driving like some GTA civilian AI fleeing from gunfire.
-Russian dash cams are just full on insanity. A tank out of nowhere nearly misses a tanker truck and is then cut off by a lada speeding down the oncoming lane towing a 1-wheeled trailer full of potatos. Doing 150 down an ice covered rural road then spinning out of control to avoid the stray towed artillery gun that got loose and was rolling down a hill. It's absolute non stop madness and zero fucks given by anyone.

This is a very accurate post

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Russian ones are great because if there is any reaction at all it's just an exasperated 'blyat'

It's a huge contrast to the US ones where the driver with the camera will never shut up (and as the other poster stated the camera car could usually avoid the whole situation with aome more defensive driving)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah the Russian ones are the most :psyduck: type of situations- Car cruising along some country road in some torrential snow with Eurobeat rocking in the background, suddenly a T-92 tank pastes some bear trying to cross the highway and spins out in the puddle of gore, causing the turret to whip around and crack the windshield of the car. "Blyat!" screams the driver, who is seen hopping out of his Lada, cigarette in hand, and proceeds to impotently kick the treads of the tank in anger.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Murder dog attacks reporter on air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYReh06SpgA

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How hard is it to get a driver's license in Russia? Most of the crazy poo poo is probably just because it's Russia, but I can't decide if licenses being extremely easy to get or extremely difficult to get would contribute more to the carnage.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How hard is it to get a driver's license in Russia?

How many of the people in those videos do you think have ever held a license?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Can someone explain to me why Russian drivers sometimes seem to just swerve randomly? Nothing in front of them and the road doesn't seem messed up but they're just going along then bam hard turn either into oncoming traffic or into a ditch.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Guyver posted:

Can someone explain to me why Russian drivers sometimes seem to just swerve randomly? Nothing in front of them and the road doesn't seem messed up but they're just going along then bam hard turn either into oncoming traffic or into a ditch.

DTs?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Yeah the Russian ones are the most :psyduck: type of situations- Car cruising along some country road in some torrential snow with Eurobeat rocking in the background, suddenly a T-92 tank pastes some bear trying to cross the highway and spins out in the puddle of gore, causing the turret to whip around and crack the windshield of the car. "Blyat!" screams the driver, who is seen hopping out of his Lada, cigarette in hand, and proceeds to impotently kick the treads of the tank in anger.

Stop teasing us, just post some videos

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

unf

I mean schadenfreude on this dude squirming in the presence of people who aren't buying his bullshit, but also "this is The Netherlands, you have to answer questions" is a massive :iceburn: on the American media.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Trig Discipline posted:

unf

I mean schadenfreude on this dude squirming in the presence of people who aren't buying his bullshit, but also "this is The Netherlands, you have to answer questions" is a massive :iceburn: on the American media.

really? I thought it was kinda sad. If he had to answer questions they wouldn't have had to say it

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we outsource all our media to the netherlands? Lmao.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

really? I thought it was kinda sad. If he had to answer questions they wouldn't have had to say it

Let's just revisit how this man needs telling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-MwYo22vZ8

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Well ultimately I think he didn't really answer, but at least they tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

My GF is working for a Russian immigrant that picks her up at home everyday. She absolutely fears for her life every single second. It's crazy, she stops in the middle of the road at a 3 lane highway to "set up the GPS". There isn't a minute that goes by without someone honking at her. And her response is always "Stupid people. Bah."

The plural of anecdote is obiously not statistic. Just wanted to share this example.