Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

for the non-Americans, project veritas is well known for making poo poo up
what, you don't trust this face?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

anthonypants posted:

what, you don't trust this face?

your daily reminder that obama killed one of the most effective anti-foreclosure non-profits in 2009 because people believed that community organizers believed this guy was a pimp and gave him real advice on how to avoid taxes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PCjr sidecar posted:

your daily reminder that obama killed one of the most effective anti-foreclosure non-profits in 2009 because people believed that community organizers believed this guy was a pimp and gave him real advice on how to avoid taxes

this is also the same guy who started the whole "planned parenthood sells baby parts" thing, and also who tried to derail the washington post's reporting on roy moore (fell apart when they googled their contact), and also tried to lure a reporter onto a rape boat

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

what the hell, why are they attacking twitter? their god-emperor LOVES the site.

thats exactly why. they're afraid that since he loves twitter so much, he might be saying incriminating poo poo via twitter DMs, which would stay in twitter's systems even if he deletes them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

for the non-Americans, project veritas is well known for making poo poo up

you mean i can't pre-order my copy of AMERICAN PRAVDA now? :saddowns:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

yeah i only really read up on the whole ACORN thing a few months ago since i didn't really pay attention at the time and wowww what a loving disgusting story :sigh:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

are you seriously posting a project veritas link

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

are you serious lmao

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Guess what, so does every other social media site and all online games too for that matter. Going to guess the password bit does not actually mean things are stored in plain text and more that they can see when and what changes were made to the account.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So can someone rate the NordVPN thing on the Lowtax scale of monitization attempts (which goes from "Uwe Boll Boxing Match" down to "Mangosteen")?

I feel like a VPN of some sort is probably one of those things a family should have but is this one good?

:ohdear:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i think the footage is real (actually a twitter security engineer) but they coerced him saying things a certain way

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Schadenboner posted:

So can someone rate the NordVPN thing on the Lowtax scale of monitization attempts (which goes from "Uwe Boll Boxing Match" down to "Mangosteen")?

I feel like a VPN of some sort is probably one of those things a family should have but is this one good?

I'm using it. welp that's my story

seriously though, it seems like a good service so far, signed up a couple weeks ago and haven't had any issues with it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Nord is one of the better ones and $33/yr for a good VPN is a good price.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lmbo are you seriously linking to that lovely org?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao holy poo poo did you just unironically post a project veritas link? are you loving retarded or?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

brutal, savage self own

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Shifty Pony posted:

crossing from the tech bubble thread

good security idea: deploy something that lets you instantly remotely lock and encrypt any system and train overseas office managers on how to quickly trigger it if a bunch of unauthorized people force their way into the office to gain access to sensitive data.

bad security idea: defining "police with a search warrant" as unauthorized.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

If u think about it, I bet Lowtax has access to all my shitposts and PMs. :ohdear:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

check out the link i posted earlier about making end to end encrypted group chats properly secure. that implementation is possibly coming to signal and whatsapp, it’s definitely never coming to telegram

well, at least it’s not adware

did you pre order american pravda yet

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

mrmcd posted:

If u think about it, I bet Lowtax has access to all my shitposts and PMs. :ohdear:

But not your good posts :thunk:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

apseudonym posted:

But not your good posts :thunk:

Every time he tries to read them the forums crash with a null pointer dereference.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schadenboner posted:

nordvpn is one of those public vpn services with a single pre-shared key for each and every connection. that psk is "nordvpn". if you're not using it for security and you just want to watch netflix or whatever it's fine

here's that non-exhaustive list of terrible vpn services: https://gist.github.com/kennwhite/1f3bc4d889b02b35d8aa

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i’ve used protonvpn the few times my work vpn didn’t work out and they’re only bad because they suspend your associated protonmail account if you don’t pay the vpn bills

you can avoid this if you don’t associate your vpn account with a protonmail account, but then you can’t use two factor auth

it’s not a good look though i’m sure they have the bases covered

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
yeah don’t rely on nordvpn to keep you safe if you’re trying to dodge a government or whatever but if you just want to torrent Linux ISO’s or dodge an overly restrictive firewall or use public WiFi more safely it’s fine

also the pre shared key isn’t an issue if you use their app or OpenVPN instead of the trash fire built into old android/windows

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arcsech posted:

also the pre shared key isn’t an issue if you use their app or OpenVPN instead of the trash fire built into old android/windows

This is true for more than a few on that list.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

just use algo and digital ocean

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

anthonypants posted:

imo the simple answer would be to arrest every executive at that site and charge them with willful obstruction, but the rich don't get treated like everyone else

one can hope that folks who are descendants of the french still remember their roots

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

my bitter bi rival posted:

just use algo and digital ocean

a $5/mo droplet is more than a $33/yr vpn

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

a $5/mo droplet is more than a $33/yr vpn

Not to mention the joy of janitoring the thing

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If you're not dodging governments or other police-states, something like NordVPN or PIA is fine for things like changing regions for streaming or using public WiFi or stopping DPI by your ISP.

If you are concerned THEY ARE WATCHING, then algo and a hosting service are the way to go.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I'm the poster that thinks "national intelligence and leo agencies are WATCHING ME" but also thinks they go "hmmm this encrypted traffic is all going to an IP at HostingShack LLC. Whelp I guess I've finally been bested. Guess another one got away, those foxes!"

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

mrmcd posted:

I'm the poster that thinks "national intelligence and leo agencies are WATCHING ME" but also thinks they go "hmmm this encrypted traffic is all going to an IP at HostingShack LLC. Whelp I guess I've finally been bested. Guess another one got away, those foxes!"

Nation state actors are both incredibly powerful and incredibly incompetent adversaries at the same time.

Also no one ever MiTMs anything beyond the first hop, VPN services definitely dont mine your data like mad.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mrmcd posted:

i'm the poster that thinks it takes significantly more effort to capture your ipsec traffic at starbucks and brute force a seven-character psk than to subpoena HostingShack, LLC

apseudonym posted:

Also no one ever MiTMs anything beyond the first hop, VPN services definitely dont mine your data like mad.
this too

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my bitter bi rival posted:

are you seriously posting a project veritas link

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

To be clear I'm not saying l33thaxx0rVPN.com is good, just that bouncing your traffic off a rented digital ocean box isn't such a clever trick if your adversary theoretically has insight and control over the whole network, and cares enough to hunt you down specifically.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mrmcd posted:

To be clear I'm not saying l33thaxx0rVPN.com is good, just that bouncing your traffic off a rented digital ocean box isn't such a clever trick if your adversary theoretically has insight and control over the whole network, and cares enough to hunt you down specifically.
but your suggestion is to keep using l33thaxx0rVPN.com, right

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Personally though, I have a VPN box in France because my two kinks are EU cookie warnings and making my nsa case officer deal with French bureaucrats all day.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mrmcd posted:

Personally though, I have a VPN box in France because my two kinks are EU cookie warnings and making my nsa case officer deal with French bureaucrats all day.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Dirty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

haveblue posted:

this is also the same guy who started the whole "planned parenthood sells baby parts" thing, and also who tried to derail the washington post's reporting on roy moore (fell apart when they googled their contact), and also tried to lure a reporter onto a rape boat

Don't forget the part where he tries to wiretap a Congressional office, but doesn't get prosecuted because Daddy's a federal prosecutor and gets him off the hook.

Main Paineframe posted:

thats exactly why. they're afraid that since he loves twitter so much, he might be saying incriminating poo poo via twitter DMs, which would stay in twitter's systems even if he deletes them

This is the real answer, isn't it :cripes:

• Locked thread