Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fangz posted:

Oh ah ha, A Place Further Than The Universe has the same person doing series composition (Jukki Hanada) as Hibike Euphonium

I am watching too many anime and was not going to watch this one, please do not force me to watch it by relating it in any way to Hibike Euphonium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I am watching too many anime and was not going to watch this one, please do not force me to watch it by relating it in any way to Hibike Euphonium.

What if I related it to Love Live!!?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

What if I related it to Love Live!!?

I am immune to the charms of idols, I'm afraid. But extremely weak to fluffy band girls.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I only see a vague resemblance, though I certainly welcome the Symphocalypse

It was more the combination of the character designs with their personalities that made me go "huh." Main character in both shows is a brown eyed, brown-haired girl with a upbeat personality. Her best friend/life partner has green eyes, dark hair pulled back with a ornament, and a more restrained personality with a attitude of spousal concern for the main character.

Namtab posted:

MM! was good and I'm sad the author died

Same for Zero no Tsukaima.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Same writer, great comic timing, fun dynamic for the leads, looks nice... you really ought to try it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

its honestly probably the best show this season

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I hate all of you as much as I hate having free time and finishing my backlog. Fine, it's on the dang list.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just don't bother thinking of it as a backlog and just think of it as a list of stuff you can go back and watch whenever. the point's to enjoy it, man

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Colonel posted:

just don't bother thinking of it as a backlog and just think of it as a list of stuff you can go back and watch whenever. the point's to enjoy it, man

I'm not even watching stuff from the backlog yet, I just like to think I will each season.

I'm sure I'll love the show in all honesty, it's just rough since the last few seasons have been pretty packed with good stuff or at least a lot of Stuff That I Watched and between buying a bunch of games this Christmas and this season having way more good stuff than I initially saw, free time is at a premium. :(

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Watched Toji no Miko and liked it. Thank you for posting about it Space Flower, had no idea it existed before that post.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

notable diving manga grand blue is getting an anime

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/951755032336023552

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
but granblue already has an anime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they couldn't leave things as they were, and had to go back and make a good anime

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anime, and possibly the world itself, are once again saved.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

C.M. Kruger posted:

It was more the combination of the character designs with their personalities that made me go "huh." Main character in both shows is a brown eyed, brown-haired girl with a upbeat personality. Her best friend/life partner has green eyes, dark hair pulled back with a ornament, and a more restrained personality with a attitude of spousal concern for the main character.

life partner THIS

NotALizardman posted:

Watched Toji no Miko and liked it. Thank you for posting about it Space Flower, had no idea it existed before that post.

im glad. episode 2 is out also

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

They look like such good friends :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Watched Toji no Miko ep 2, it's okay fun. Confirmed almost exactly the conspiracy I expected.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

I don't know if this top-grade comedy can be adapted properly.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens feels really trashy and I don’t have high hopes of it paying off in the end. The art looks very derivative of Bungo Stray Dogs and lol at the OP song being called Stray.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Space Flower posted:

life partner THIS

Maybe they're poly life partners.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

chumbler posted:

Maybe they're poly life partners.

Even though it's anime lets be a little realistic here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

citrus is #unwoke, really dragged out, and melodramatic, but the character designs are good, and the anime's picking up the pace a lot and making it way trashier, which at least makes it more interesting to watch. Not to mention some of the added/expanded jokes are legit funny. In conclusion, I decree it better than yuri on ice.

plus maybe this will lead the way to a future where we get a kase-san tv anime.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Citrus at least seems to be reasonably well produced and enjoying itself, which is way more than I can say for what I saw of NTR a couple seasons back.

Shinozaki-san is the Gyaru Yuri story we deserve, tho

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFAzL1tRSE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Citrus at least seems to be reasonably well produced and enjoying itself, which is way more than I can say for what I saw of NTR a couple seasons back.

Shinozaki-san is the Gyaru Yuri story we deserve, tho
yeah ntr was just so joyless and self-obsessed, at least citrus (the anime anyway) is very aware of what it is and just rolls with it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

citrus is #unwoke, really dragged out, and melodramatic, but the character designs are good, and the anime's picking up the pace a lot and making it way trashier, which at least makes it more interesting to watch. Not to mention some of the added/expanded jokes are legit funny. In conclusion, I decree it better than yuri on ice.

plus maybe this will lead the way to a future where we get a kase-san tv anime.
the semi non-consenual kiss at the end made me a bit uncomfy, but yeah it's a fun trashy and cute and i laughed at the jokes, so i'll prob watch it for a bit longer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think given the framing the kiss at the end of the first ep is meant to be kind of uncomfortable and weird

i appreciate the humor the anime adds though, the worst i can say about it is that i just don't like the early stuff in citrus that much to begin with

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 12, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I finally started watching Houseki no Kuni. Diamond best gem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

the semi non-consenual kiss at the end made me a bit uncomfy, but yeah it's a fun trashy and cute and i laughed at the jokes, so i'll prob watch it for a bit longer
the kiss was kinda nonconsensual but at the same time they were both kinda into it and iunno, weird stuff like that happens in real life without it being literal rape or anything, sex and sexual situations are v. complicated esp. when you're dealing with discovering your sexuality

not even big citrus defender here, i just dont think its that big of a sticking point

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

From what I've heard citrus' best aspect is yuzu being way too much of a well-intentioned goof for the story she's in, so it can prob only be helped by leaning into that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I finally started watching Houseki no Kuni. Diamond best gem.
zircon is the best

Motto posted:

From what I've heard citrus' best aspect is yuzu being way too much of a well-intentioned goof for the story she's in, so it can prob only be helped by leaning into that.
yeah the adaptation's improving the source material a fair bit without just completely rewriting it. i still wouldnt accuse it of being good or smart but its watchable and has some nice gags, and it might hit its stride later on, who knows

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Look forward to the Citrus thread, coming whenever I feel not lazy (never)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It should take a swerve and be about Yuzu's friend and the short girl with the drill hair and big eyebrows combo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally zircon is the best solely because a random doujin my friend got at comiket had a bizarre author's note at the end about zircon liking taco bell. zircon wasnt even in the doujin. the doujin wasnt even a modern au.

chumbler posted:

It should take a swerve and be about Yuzu's friend and the short girl with the drill hair and big eyebrows combo.
i agree

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

the kiss was kinda nonconsensual but at the same time they were both kinda into it and iunno, weird stuff like that happens in real life without it being literal rape or anything, sex and sexual situations are v. complicated esp. when you're dealing with discovering your sexuality

not even big citrus defender here, i just dont think its that big of a sticking point
oh yeah absolutely, something similar did happen to me and it wasn't Great, but i wasn't sure how the show was trying present it, so for me personally it was an I Feel Like This Is Bad, To Me. i wasn't indicting the show for it, just a lil put off.

i say let the gays be messy, i just wasnt prepared for it

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Grouchio posted:

I finally started watching Houseki no Kuni.
:yeah:

Grouchio posted:

Diamond best gem.
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Endorph posted:

incidentally zircon is the best solely because a random doujin my friend got at comiket had a bizarre author's note at the end about zircon liking taco bell.
houseki no kuni is actually a secret sequel to demolition man. it's the far, far future. humanity has split into four aspects:

the flesh
the bones
the spirit
the fire sauce

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah i can see why you'd feel that way the show's just kinda messy in general and isnt really shying away from it, and it isnt executed super well but its at least more interesting and honest than yuribait or very sexless relationships or whatever, i definitely don't get the impression you get from some yaoi where the author thinks this is what romance between the gays is like or whatever, from what I remember of the manga they actually get mad at each other for pulling stunts like that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

This is basically how I remember feeling about Citrus when I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's rad, I'm excited to experience a show that's portraying being gay as something other than being pure porcelain dolls and is just messy and fun with it. (devilman crybaby was good for this for me imo)

i wanna know more about these girls!

• Locked thread