Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Billzasilver posted:

Wtf I thought geop was a mod here.

Am I getting old??
He stepped down a bit ago, much like JordanKai, or that odd bit of time when ChipCheezum was a mod here. Basically people do it till they fall asleep and then go on to other stuff.

Jamesman posted:

I'm still here. :smith:
We're all still here in spirit. I mean, I've been doing LP's here for almost 7 years now and it's weird to think about that sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is there a good VLP of Jade Empire that's finished? Looks like there's an SSLP but I can't see a video one. I doubt a random youtube one will be very good.

discworld is all I read posted:

We're all still here in spirit. I mean, I've been doing LP's here for almost 7 years now and it's weird to think about that sometimes.

I like your LPs!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

bewilderment posted:

Is there a good VLP of Jade Empire that's finished? Looks like there's an SSLP but I can't see a video one. I doubt a random youtube one will be very good.
The only finished VLP of Jade Empire on the forums was done in 2007, and the videos are no longer available. This random Youtube LP seems okay, the guy doesn't talk over the dialog and sounds pretty chill, and there's no facecam or any bullshit like that.

Or you could read the SSLP, I heard the guy who made that is pretty cool. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Billzasilver posted:

Wtf I thought geop was a mod here.

Am I getting old??

Geop was a mod here, and then I killed him. That’s how I got his powers.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

nine-gear crow posted:

Ah, so it's like Highlander, but for moderating a pseudo-hobby subforum.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

bewilderment posted:

I like your LPs!
:) awwww, that's always nice to hear. But yeah, the LP that Doc Mordid linked seems pretty good (though he also did a pretty SSLP of it that people should check out).

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically that whole first generation of big LP'ers have abandoned SA. Slowbeef and Diabetus are gone, ProtonJon's gone, Geop's gone, the Freelance Astronauts are done, Chip and Ironicus are kinda gone.

Lotta talent (and ProtonJon) there just... gone. drat.

I'm still here... :cry:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the reality of the situation is that SA is fantastic for cutting your teeth and learning what to do and not do, but ultimately one of two things happen:

1) you do not stick with the hobby
2) you do, and it slowly starts building a community around your work. SA is really, REALLY not the place to handle a growing community, so you are all but forced to abandon the place for tools that work better.

i don't intend to ever STOP posting our stuff on SA, but the writing has been on the wall for a few years now that me and roboky will have to figure out our own site and platform - at which point, SA will be a second thought for us. the main reason it hasn't happened yet is because i'm so preoccupied with my business that after a long day of work i simply don't have the mental energy left to create a site design and go about implementing all the parts we'll need to do what we want to do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically that whole first generation of big LP'ers have abandoned SA. Slowbeef and Diabetus are gone, ProtonJon's gone, Geop's gone, the Freelance Astronauts are done, Chip and Ironicus are kinda gone.

Lotta talent (and ProtonJon) there just... gone. drat.

Chip and Ironicus have a thread going right now and they just finished another one. LPing is a lot easier when it's you hanging out in a dorm with a couple microphones, when you have lives and jobs it gets harder.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Coolguye posted:

2) you do, and it slowly starts building a community around your work. SA is really, REALLY not the place to handle a growing community, so you are all but forced to abandon the place for tools that work better.

I assume 2 includes the opportunity for monetization. Since SA deliberately ignores the money-making part, I imagine it might make things awkward for those who strike out to try and make some cash off their hobby.

But that's me guessing when most of this went down before I arrived. I know there was one incident where a bunch of LPers left at once, as well, but I've been giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming that boiled down to a misunderstanding.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Coolguye posted:

the reality of the situation is that SA is fantastic for cutting your teeth and learning what to do and not do, but ultimately one of two things happen:

i don't intend to ever STOP posting our stuff on SA, but the writing has been on the wall for a few years now that me and roboky will have to figure out our own site and platform - at which point, SA will be a second thought for us. the main reason it hasn't happened yet is because i'm so preoccupied with my business that after a long day of work i simply don't have the mental energy left to create a site design and go about implementing all the parts we'll need to do what we want to do.

SA is also great if you intend to have a lot of direct interaction with the people watching. The thing I'm planning after my current LP will rely on that quite a bit.

By the way, the Prey LP was a delight.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ApeHawk posted:

Many A True Nerd is currently doing a slightly modded LP of Skyrim. Updates it twice a week, too. He's also doing a non-archery run, so you don't have to suffer through a boring sneaky archer playthrough.

Is MAT a user on SA? Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, anyone know if there is a good LP of Dungeons and Dragons 4e that can help me get the ropes of running it long term?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

How do men drinking coffee stay so up to date on pop culture without being active on SA?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SA is also one of the few places where SSLPs are still a thing, so that's a thing.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

How does anyone stay up to date on pop culture while being active on SA?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Your powers are weak

(also I'm on an LP hiatus. Hoping to do something soon-ish??)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

whoops!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I would never ban Geop.... intentionally.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nine-gear crow posted:

I would never ban Geop.... intentionally.

You're just clumsy. This is all making you agitated. And when you're agitated you.. ban goons.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
ban everyone imo

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

SA is also one of the few places where SSLPs are still a thing, so that's a thing.
What are the others?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

ban everyone imo

User was banned for this post.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Good SSLP's, anyways. Wargame SSLPs exist elsewhere but the most common one's I've seen are like... 1 image per post with barely any explanation as to what is going on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pierzak posted:

What are the others?

The Paradox forums have a bunch of AARs (after action reports) which are mostly screenshots and text.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Skwirl posted:

The Paradox forums have a bunch of AARs (after action reports) which are mostly screenshots and text.

Or pictures that aren't screenshots and text, which seems to be more strange historical fiction than any sort of LP equivalent. Like, three paragraphs of text, then a picture of a boat. Then three paragraphs of text, then a picture of some soldiers. That kind of thing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Good SSLP's, anyways. Wargame SSLPs exist elsewhere but the most common one's I've seen are like... 1 image per post with barely any explanation as to what is going on.

Weirdly, that sounds like what I understand this forum's very first SSLPs were like. One image, then it's up to the thread to decide what to do in the game, then one more image.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Carbon dioxide posted:

Weirdly, that sounds like what I understand this forum's very first SSLPs were like. One image, then it's up to the thread to decide what to do in the game, then one more image.

There's no decision-making in most of the SSLPs I've seen off-site.

It'll be something like:

Post 1

What the front looks like at the moment

Post 2

Russian units storm the bridge

Post 3

An attack on the western side goes well

and so on

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, there are all sorts of places where SSLPs can be found. Technically, Tom Francis (Gunpoint/Heat Signature dev) did a couple for PC Gamer. His Galactic Civilisations 2 one is a pretty fun read.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TheMcD posted:

Or pictures that aren't screenshots and text, which seems to be more strange historical fiction than any sort of LP equivalent. Like, three paragraphs of text, then a picture of a boat. Then three paragraphs of text, then a picture of some soldiers. That kind of thing.

Yeah, the Paradox forums community can be a bit, uhm, let's say "eccentric."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Unlike the Something Awful forums, a bastion of normalcy and civilized discourse.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Unlike the Something Awful forums, a bastion of normalcy and civilized discourse.

this but ironnically

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Greyarc posted:

I assume 2 includes the opportunity for monetization. Since SA deliberately ignores the money-making part, I imagine it might make things awkward for those who strike out to try and make some cash off their hobby.

But that's me guessing when most of this went down before I arrived. I know there was one incident where a bunch of LPers left at once, as well, but I've been giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming that boiled down to a misunderstanding.

It doesn’t need to, directly. What I am more referring to is the paywall inevitably boils your community back to haves and have nots - the folks who have an SA account get more access and responsiveness than the folks who don’t. This isn’t news nor is it going to change any time soon, but it’s actually a huge part of my own thinking on the matter and people don’t bring it up that much. I mean, ultimately sure if you stick with LPing more than a year or two money is going to become part of your thought process, sure. But the “genuine” way for people to make money on their personalities is to talk to people and explain who they are and what they’re out to do before asking for a dollar to go do it. You can’t do that very well when people have to drop a tenner to say word one to you simply. We have a discord and email but both of those are pretty high friction compared to just posting.

Lazyfire posted:

SA is also great if you intend to have a lot of direct interaction with the people watching. The thing I'm planning after my current LP will rely on that quite a bit.

By the way, the Prey LP was a delight.

Thank you! Hope you’ll like the new project, should be going up this next week.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Risk Legacy looks pretty cool, but I have no one to play with, don't know how to play, and I'm not really willing to put in the apparently massive amounts of time to go through several games of it. Is there an LP out there I can go through, preferably video and preferably condensed?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, there are all sorts of places where SSLPs can be found. Technically, Tom Francis (Gunpoint/Heat Signature dev) did a couple for PC Gamer. His Galactic Civilisations 2 one is a pretty fun read.
Oh, that was the Gunpoint guy? I had no idea.
And yeah, those are great. Mostly text, though.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Speaking of SSLPs, I'm not recommending this hybrid LP just because it's done by my good friend Maple Leaf, but because Pyre is a great game and Maple is going through a great effort to screenshot each character's interaction, Gyf particularly beautiful animation moments, and play a mean game of Pyreball while leaving up a ton of the game's Choose Your Own Adventure elements entirely in our hands. All this while he plays with what characters we ask him to field in the arena!

I've heard noises about at least one other LP of this game in the works because the game itself has so much variety of endings and potential dialogue interactions, but the run Maple is giving us is likely going to be the "true" run that goons get to dictate.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Habeasdorkus did an amazing LP of Football Manager a few years ago where he took a small Welsh team and turned them into world-class titans, weaving a pretty compelling story and narrative with the characters and events the game put on him. He's just started a new one playing as plucky San Marino Calcio, another low-rank team so distant in Italian soccer that it's not actually in Italy, it's in San Marino. It's early days, but y'all are in for a treat. Viva Titani.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started watching the old Saints Row 2 LP with Panzerskank and Kaubocks - loved the part when their comparing new characters and Panzer says this: "I look like a grape had sex with the Koolaid Man!" "And you're Character's pretty ugly too!" "FUUUUCK YOU! :byodame:"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started watching the old Saints Row 2 LP with Panzerskank and Kaubocks - loved the part when their comparing new characters and Panzer says this: "I look like a grape had sex with the Koolaid Man!" "And you're Character's pretty ugly too!" "FUUUUCK YOU! :byodame:"
The Saints Row 2 LP is absolutely magical. :allears:

I like to play Saints Row with a normal-looking character trying to do normal GTA game stuff because I think that makes it even funnier when everything around you turns into crazy nonsense, but the shenanigans we see in the LP are still entertaining and all the glitches just enhance the whole experience.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm trying to find the episode where Shogo Akuji gets buried alive because that cutscene is probably hilarious with these mutants involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Hi. I don’t know much about undertale . Are there any good video lps of it? I especially like funny lps, group commentators, or completionists.