Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

Is wisniewski healthy ?

Yes. He played a bit in the Dallas game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aBagorn posted:

Yes. He played a bit in the Dallas game

Well that's a big help. War Mack is beyond awful in pass block.

All they need to do is not turn it over on offense and they can win.

Too bad foles turns it over a lot .

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

euphronius posted:

I mean, you have to give the ball back to the other team after a TD dude, it's not fair otherwise.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

And it's all fumbles. He takes care of the ball when he throws it

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/25242/virtual-reality-played-a-role-in-transforming-case-keenums-game

quote:

This season, Keenum found a way to get the most out his time every week, particularly when he’s not getting live reps or in the quarterback room.

That method is virtual reality. Like many teams across the NFL and in college football, the Minnesota Vikings use technology patented by STRIVR, an industry leader in virtual reality training. Back in the spring, when Keenum was a new addition to the Vikings' roster as a backup, general manager Rick Spielman and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur sat down with him and the other quarterbacks to find out if VR was something they wanted to incorporate in their routines. According to CEO Derek Belch, Keenum had seen STRIVR’s demo when he was with the Rams and decided it would be beneficial to work into his prep beginning in organized team activities and mini-camp.

Jack Carson Wentz into the football matrix 24/7 until his healthy. He will emerge as The One.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Quiet Feet posted:

Many others are humorously suggesting that Nick Foles is a first-ballot hall of famer who will crush [insert opposing team here] because whiny posts about how we're probably hosed are unfun.

We're well past the point of credible belief that 89's posts are humor

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Doug Pederson was taking no prisoners today in his press appearance.

quote:

Q. What’s your message to QB Nick Foles this week?

COACH PEDERSON: My message to Nick or to the team?

Q. Both.

COACH PEDERSON: My message to Nick is: Listen, we have a great opportunity. Let’s go be Nick. Let’s go play. Let’s go execute the offense. [My message] to the team is the same thing: We [have] a great opportunity. Back’s against the wall. Let’s come out swinging and see what happens.

Q. Do you expect everyone to practice today?

COACH PEDERSON: Well, you know what, I’m going to have an injury report at the end of the day. I’ll let you know.

Q. How is DE Brandon Graham doing?

COACH PEDERSON: Brandon Graham’s doing fine.

Q. Will he practice today?

COACH PEDERSON: I’ll let you know at the end of the day.

Q. What’s the plan for CB Sidney Jones moving forward here?

COACH PEDERSON: Keep working every day.

Q. Do you see a role for him on Saturday?

COACH PEDERSON: We’ll work today and we’ll see what happens.

Q. You mentioned ‘back against the wall.’ Offensive coordinator Frank Reich mentioned yesterday that Nick needs to stay aggressive. Do you think there’s a confidence issue? Is that what you’re—

COACH PEDERSON: No, I don’t think there’s a confidence issue, no.

Q. You regard Chiefs head coach Andy Reid as a friend and mentor. Did you talk to him at all after his lost this past weekend?

COACH PEDERSON: No, I was focused on a couple of teams this weekend, so I didn’t talk to him.

Q. I know you’ve learned from him and shared coaching ideas, is there anything you can take away from the number of abrupt exits? It seems that the success that he has in the regular season doesn’t necessarily translate to the playoffs. Is there anything you can take away from that?

COACH PEDERSON: I was focused on the Falcons, man. I don’t get into that, honestly.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sickening posted:

If garrett was fired today, who the gently caress would the cowboys even be able to hire?

better question: if Garrett was fired today, does he even get an interview for one of the open HC positions

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

indigi posted:

better question: if Garrett was fired today, does he even get an interview for one of the open HC positions

absolutely he does, but he probably ends up becoming an OC somewhere. Teams are for some reason infinitely willing to hire coaches who have been head coaches before, no matter how bad they were. And Garrett's resume is better than several of the retreads out there, even though he also sucks

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/951064908711546880

he's right!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rip mobility tho.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The fact that Tom Brady is going to win MVP is a disgrace.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Rip mobility tho.

Dude, the ACL is like the UCL these days. They'll Tommy Johns that poo poo up and he'll be leaping 18 feet into the air.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
looks more like someone changed the number on a Tebow caricature.

edit: nm, I forgot Tebow wore #11 too. That's just Tebow.

Someone made a Tebow caricature, forgetting he was left handed, then flipped it horizontally to compensate (the John 3:16 eye tape is reversed)

ps. thanks for posting that :)

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 10, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TheChirurgeon posted:

absolutely he does, but he probably ends up becoming an OC somewhere. Teams are for some reason infinitely willing to hire coaches who have been head coaches before, no matter how bad they were. And Garrett's resume is better than several of the retreads out there, even though he also sucks

I still think Garrett is a hell of a QB coach, does a decent enough job with gameday planning, and does still have some knack for offense.

His problems are he's too god damned conservative and a risk averse coward. He'd be a great OC that didn't have playcalling duties.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still think Garrett is a hell of a QB coach, does a decent enough job with gameday planning, and does still have some knack for offense.

His problems are he's too god damned conservative and a risk averse coward. He'd be a great OC that didn't have playcalling duties.

I think the game day planning for the defense has been atrocious, especially between 2011-2015. Offensive game planning during that same period was also very lackluster. Very little of Romo out of the shotgun to start, very little hurry up offense where the Cowboys really excelled. Now that the Cowboys have a good OL, I think the Cowboys are able to get away with less original play calling but it still shows its lack of originality from time to time.

Agreed that he is super conservative and risk averse.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Fire Brett Brown!

e: oops, wrong thread

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Fire Pederson?

You guys loving high?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

89 posted:

Fire Pederson?

You guys loving high?

No need for the pluralization there.

Just one guy

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

As they head into the second round of the playoffs with Nick Foles at the helm one man screams in the distance

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I mean, I'm screaming too, because Philly is going to be embarrassed tomorrow.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
My money is on a close game either way.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I Believe in Nick "Big Dick" Foles

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I believe nick foles exists

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

I mean, I'm screaming too, because Philly is going to be embarrassed tomorrow.

It's going to be embarrassing when the Philadelphia Football Eagles beat the defending NFC Champion Atlanta Falcons with backup QB Nick "BIGGUS DICKUS" Foles.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

*ahem*

gently caress everyone except the Giants (because we already hosed ourselves so nobody gets to be happy)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Nick Foles sucks and is going to get embarrassed tomorrow by a very good defense.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Nick Foles sucks and is going to get embarrassed tomorrow by a very good defense.

But they're playing the Falcons?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Quiet Feet posted:

They are pretty good, at least in the defensive backfield.

The Eagles are going to run for 160 yards.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

You mean the team that sacked Dak Prescott eight times?

loving Chaz Green

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I'm feeling Eagles victory at this point. No rational explanation, but despite what I said before this just doesn't feel like the loss. Something in the air that says a very angry team is gonna kick the poo poo out of the Falcons tomorrow. Championship game maybe for the loss. There is no doubt it will end in tears.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I'm feeling Eagles victory at this point. No rational explanation, but despite what I said before this just doesn't feel like the loss. Something in the air that says a very angry team is gonna kick the poo poo out of the Falcons tomorrow. Championship game maybe for the loss. There is no doubt it will end in tears.

Tears of joy is a distinct possibility friend

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I don't have enough faith in the secondary right now to have hopes for a win over ATL.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I'd be happy as long as we dont get blown out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The Eagles will lose in the NFCCG as is our tradition.

Oh and if the Saints win we'll have played all 4 NFC South teams in the NFCCG this century and will be either 1-3 or 2-2 against them.

For content, road favorites in the divisional round don't have a very good track record:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/1/12/16881308/philadelphia-eagles-home-underdogs-divisional-round-atlanta-falcons

BGN posted:

A look at how previous home underdogs have fared in the 2nd round

The Eagles are home underdogs to Falcons in the divisional round. Since the AFL/NFL merger, this is just the seventh time that’s happened, according to Pro Football Reference. With one exception, they all fit the same template: the home team was a rebuilding team making the playoffs for the first time, while the road team was an established playoff team. Obviously, the oddsmakers weren’t sold on the home team. And that’s exactly the case with the Eagles and Falcons: the Eagles haven’t made the playoffs since 2013 and have to start Nick Foles, the Falcons are the defending NFC Champions.

But were the oddsmakers right to favor the road team?

1979 Buccaneers vs Eagles -4.5

That’s right, Saturday’s game isn’t even the first time the Eagles have played in a home underdog game. But this time, they were the road favorite.

Tampa Bay had won 7 games in franchise history prior to the 1979 season. They started in 1976 with their infamous 0-14 team, then steadily improved to 2-12 and 5-11. In ‘79, on the back of the league’s top defense, they won 10 games and were the 2nd seed. They hosted the Eagles, who were in the playoffs for the second season in a row and had defeated the Bears in the wild card round.

It’s easy to see why the Eagles were road favorites: Tampa’s worst to first turnaround out of the abyss seemed too good to be true, and their 5-6 record after a 5-0 start appeared to back that up. Entering the season finale Tampa Bay was on a 3 game losing streak and had to win to make the playoffs, in one of the heaviest storms in NFL history they eked out a 3-0 win. Meanwhile the Eagles were in their fourth year of steady improvement, with then-career years from Ron Jaworski and Wilbert Montgomery.

In the game, the Bucs defense, #1 in points and yards that season, stifled the Eagles. Jaworski threw for just 199 yards on 39 attempts and Montgomery ran for just 35 yards, and Tampa Bay won 24-17.

1981 Dolphins vs Chargers -2.5

1982 Dolphins vs Chargers -1.5

It’s uncommon for a home team to be an underdog, to happen to the same team in consecutive years is just insulting. We’ll take these together.

The first matchup fit the mold of upstart vs established. The Dolphins had missed the playoffs in 1980 in a rebuilding year after making the playoffs in 1978 and 1979. By the beginning of the 1981 season, only seven starters from ‘79 were starters in ‘81, the revamped Dolphins and their 11-4-1 record were seen as a surprise. The Chargers were an established team, having made the playoffs the previous two seasons and winning a wild card game in 1980.

The playoff format in 1981 sent only five teams per conference to the playoffs, so the wild card game was to see who traveled to face the top seed. With Miami the 2 seed and San Diego the 3 seed, they both had the first week off. They’d need the rest.

In what is known as “The Epic in Miami” the Dolphins and Chargers played one of the greatest games in NFL history. The Chargers and their league best offense raced out to a 24-0 lead in the 1st quarter. Don Shula benched QB David Woodley and put in long time backup Don Strock, who led the Dolphins to scoring 24 straight points of their own. The teams then traded touchdowns, and with seconds on the clock at 38-38, Miami attempted a 43 yard field goal to win the game, but Kellen Winslow blocked it to send the game to OT. Overtime was just as dramatic as regulation, with both teams exchanging missed field goals. Then, 13:52 in to overtime, San Diego kicked a 29 yard field goal to win 41-38. An instant classic. If you’ve got two and a half hours to kill, you can watch the whole thing.

The next season the teams met in a rematch that couldn’t possibly live up to the billing. But in the strange 1982 season, it somehow made sense that a rematch should happen. An in-season player strike caused the season to be just 9 games long. To help make up for the lost games, the NFL altered the playoff format: three additional teams per conference made the playoffs, up from five to eight, nobody got a bye. That’s one reason why home teams are almost always favored in the second round. In addition to usually being the better team anyway, they also had a week off. But that wasn’t the case in 1982, when Miami dispatched the Patriots, who they had lost to earlier in the year in The Snowplow Game while the Chargers had to mount a comeback against the Steelers.

With the Epic fresh in people’s minds and the Chargers offense looking even more lethal in 1982, the Dolphins were home dogs by 1.5 points. But this game didn’t fit the profile: the Dolphins weren’t an upstart team. As a back to back 2 seed, Miami was no longer an out of nowhere team.

And it showed in the game. The Chargers offense was one of the best in league history scoring 32 points a game. But the Dolphins “Killer Bees” defense was excellent as well, 2nd in scoring and 1st in yards. Fouts called it the best defense he’d ever seen as Miami had their way with him. Fouts completed just 15 of 34 attempts, was intercepted 5 times and sacked 3 times. This time it was Miami who got out to a 24-0 lead, and they held it. Don Strock wasn’t needed, and the Dolphins won 34-13.

1996 Panthers vs Cowboys -3.5

Like the Bucs-Eagles game in 1979, this was a clash of new vs established. In this case, both were even more extreme. The Panthers were in their second season of existence, the Cowboys were reigning Super Bowl champions. Dallas’ defense was still one of the best, but the offense had dropped off severely from the highs of the Super Bowl teams. Troy Aikman had his worst season of the Cowboys six year playoff stretch. Emmitt Smith had the worst season of his career to date. Michael Irvin missed 5 games (Deion Sanders filled in) and Jay Novacek had retired. Dallas was coming off a 40-15 beat down of the Vikings, who had six turnovers, but they got lucky, four were fumble and Aikman had a terrible game with a 67.9 passer rating.

The Panthers didn’t have the names the Cowboys had, but they were a more balanced team. Carolina was 7th in scoring, the defense was 2nd, and they had good special teams. It was an upstart team, but it was also an experienced one: nine starters were 30 or older.

In the game Carolina picked off Aikman three times and sacked him twice, Irvin caught just one pass, while Smith rushed for 80 but caught 3 passes for -2 yards. Kerry Collins threw 2 touchdowns as the Panthers won 26-17.

2011 49ers vs Saints -3.5

This wasn’t that long ago, but the 49ers three year run starting in 2011 was so good it’s easy to forget why the Saints would be favored on the road. 2011 was Jim Harbaugh’s first season in San Francisco, and the oddsmakers weren’t quite buying the turnaround and Alex Smith. The Saints were just two seasons removed from a Super Bowl, though the year before they had lost to the 7-9 Seahawks.

As we know now, the Harbaugh 49ers were no fluke, they would go on to three straight NFC Championship Game appearances. San Francisco won 36-32 as Drew Brees and Alex Smith got into a shootout, Brees throwing for 462 yards and 4 TDs, Smith putting up 299 yards and 3 TDs, including the game winner with 9 seconds to go.

2013 Panthers vs 49ers -1

Two years later, the tables were turned on San Francisco: they were the established team, the Panthers were the new kids on the block. Beyond that, they were fairly similar teams. Both had dual threat QBs who had star WRs and TEs to throw to, both had top defenses, and to stretch the similarities all the way, Ron Rivera and Jim Harbaugh were teammates for six seasons in Chicago.

The teams traded leads in the first half, but in the second half the established 49ers bucked the trend, and won 23-10 after shutting out Carolina in the first half. To date, they’re the only favorite road team in the divisional round to win.

So does this mean anything? A little. Home underdogs have won 5 out of 6, either in shootouts (1981, 2011) or with a strong defense (1979, 1982, 1996). The Falcons are favored because Carson Wentz is out, but we’ve seen the Eagles win both a shootout (vs the Giants) and win with defense (vs the Raiders) with Nick Foles. The more likely outcome for an Eagles victory is to win with defense and ball control, as the Eagles are just 14 months removed from having upset the Falcons, at home, with that same formula. For extra encouragement, there have been 24 wild card games where the home team was the underdog, and the home team went 13-11. History says the Eagles can win.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Too bad they put Wentz on IR. They could have just taped it up real good and brought him in for a couple of series.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Today is the day, boys.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

Today is the day, boys.

looks down at chest

I didn’t grow these things to be called boy, mate

(I’m just playing with ya - go the good bird team today)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

edit - wrong thread

uhh, go birds

• Locked thread