Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh, whoops, I forgot to check if it got uploaded.

Blocked Buddies gangtag is now open for business. Get yours today for the low low price of fivebux:

aren't gangtags awared for free by the mods in some cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think all officially recognized "Blocked Buddies" should get it free.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh, whoops, I forgot to check if it got uploaded.

Blocked Buddies gangtag is now open for business. Get yours today for the low low price of fivebux:

as the creator and one of the original blockees I think you should replace my killfeed thingy with it

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

tuo posted:

Sometimes, yes. Usually as a reward for some kind of Very Good Post.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tuo posted:

Lowtax is broke

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ManofManyAliases posted:

What do you think is going to happen with the CryTek/CIG suit?

I... most of the officers at the academy didn't trust me because my mother was a Pilgrim.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Some of those posts made the warlord melt down....I mean, that's a sight to behold

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

PederP posted:

It can be compared in the sense that XML is very often used when (custom-format) binary data should be used instead. Games should use highly optimized, bespoke, binary formats for almost everything. The fact that CIG has used XML to send mesh data is insane. This isn't data to be shared among applications from different vendors. JSON, XML, etc. can be used in various parts of the production pipeline, but it has no place in run-time data for games. Config files being an exception, as they need to be edited by humans and are not really a performance bottleneck.

This isn't CiG fault so much as this is the poo poo Crytek came up with to use in their engine. Which is why I have no sympathy when this lawsuit destroys them both.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

tuo posted:

Some of those posts made the warlord melt down....I mean, that's a sight to behold

To be fair scoring a warlord meltdown is up there with predicting if Seth Meyers is going to discuss Trump on any particular evening.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dusty Lens posted:

To be fair scoring a warlord meltdown is up there with predicting if Seth Meyers is going to discuss Trump on any particular evening.

Getting a double inverse uber troll against him is always worthy, imo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lowtax needs money

e: hell yeah

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Getting a double inverse uber troll against him is always worthy, imo.

Well yeah for sure among us there are legends.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

fun fact - dogs can't look up.

Counter Point:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W86cTIoMv2U

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/yd3y6dn.mp4

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

Counter Point:

:kimchi: I love that pup

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Hav posted:

<Leans forward and knocks out his pipe on his boot>

Usenet was really the wild west in it's day. Mainly because there was no perceived etiquette, and secondly that we'd gone from a relatively Nerdy enclave before the summer that never ended spewed Aol users through the BOOTP gateway. On the one hand, 'me too' chains had a completely different resonance, and on the other hand it was a fertile ground of absolute insanity to cross and poo poo post your way through. There was an ebb and flow of nearly hundreds of accounts, and you could draw people into some crazy, crazy poo poo.

The trick is to be detached. Don't take it personally. If you do find yourself taking it personally, walk away and do something that makes you happy. it's one of the reasons I don't really engage with Citizens, because at least three of the boosters are career trolls. The rest of the shitheads on the internet are the bored tween coming into his first bloom of manhood before saying the wrong thing and getting the first slap; the internet makes it easier for this variant of shitlord to flourish, right up until they overstep the line and someone gets hurt.

It's easier if you're using a persona to do this. As a real person, I wouldn't engage. One of the things I learned in those usenet years was that the supply of idiots was inexhaustible, and it's not the one that are out for the fun of denigrating someone else, but those that have _nothing else_ to do than denigrate other people. We're hitting peak societal penetration of the internet, which means the whole thing is becoming an interesting projection of the human Id.

My most successful tactic in the old usenet days was to identify the one thing they have an irrational attachment to/belief in and then go to town. In the case of these shitizens the thing that drives them into uncontrollable rages is the fact "you" are taking money from "their" dream. The money is no longer yours you have no right to it.

I'd build on that to the point of pondering that maybe my money had already been used so perhaps I received the money they "donated" maybe get into theoretical situations where that money was so desperately needed, how I withdrew said currency in singles and am now rubbing them all over my body, etc. The resulting sperging would be well worth their vitriol.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chalks posted:

That clause also says they can't use any competing engine for a two year period after termination, so can you explain how the circumstances of the termination would affect this clause?

Also interested in which termination clause you think they used.

Lumberyard isn't a competing engine though.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

We don't know the circumstances of the termination (if any, and if it was done properly), so we can't say otherwise right now.

GTFO. There was no termination or it would have been in the CIG response.

And CIG never - ever - claimed anything of the sort. They basically said they stopped using the engine. That's it. The End.

That aside from the fact that NOTHING in the GLA gives CIG or Crytek ANY "at will" termination option.

Jeez man, don't you ever get anything right?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

That's like paying for a parking spot at work.

:laffo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

:negative:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

So much for free then.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Street, I love you buddy, but you're coming dangerously close to appearing to care about something on the internet. Abandon the youtube comments, there are only ghouls there.

Seriously, just post videos and never read the comments - it'll make them furious to know their shots didn't land.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Chalks posted:

That clause also says they can't use any competing engine for a two year period after termination, so can you explain how the circumstances of the termination would affect this clause?

Also interested in which termination clause you think they used.

If they are utilizing LY, and Amazon purchased a full license and right to sub license from CryTek, how is that a competing engine? I read that as UE4, Unity, etc...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's a game engine that CryTek doesn't receive any money for someone using, of course LY is a competitor. Don't be ridiculous.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

If they are utilizing LY, and Amazon purchased a full license and right to sub license from CryTek, how is that a competing engine? I read that as UE4, Unity, etc...

"Amazon Lumberyard

Amazon Lumberyard is a free cross-platform triple-A game engine developed by Amazon and based on the architecture of CryEngine, which was licensed from Crytek in 2015."

So its based on CryEngine source code, which means that CIG either violated their engine agreement by using a different engine then the one they agreed on or they openly displayed CryEngine source code via bugsmashers, another contract violation.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Lladre posted:

Lumberyard isn't a competing engine though.

Of course it's a competing engine. Amazon bought full rights to the engine, everything short of actually buying it outright, makes it available under a different name, and is heavily modifying it. It's legally a different engine.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

A strip club for lunch? Uhhh.. what’d you... eat?
sushi

no this isn't a joke, it was p good

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ManofManyAliases posted:

Don't be willfully dumb.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

*CIG abandons CryEngine and its services and switches to Lumberyard*

MoMA: I don't understand how people could think of Lumberyard as a competing engine to CryEngine though.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lladre posted:

Counter Point:

That's clearly not a dog,it's a small monkey in a suit.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

TheAgent posted:

sushi

no this isn't a joke, it was p good

Gosh darn I could really go for some calamari.

Moma are you saying that if you bang your wife's twin sister it's not cheating or if you bang someone else in your marital bed it's not cheating.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

monkeytek posted:

My most successful tactic in the old usenet days was to identify the one thing they have an irrational attachment to/belief in and then go to town.

People who threatened to sue me over Usenet postings: Edmond H. "Pantyhead" Wollmann, SOLLOG, that Bob Dylan lady, Ray Gordon

People who actually did sue me over Usenet postings: Ray Gordon (fortunately, Google's lawyers dealt with him on all of our behalf)

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

XK posted:

Of course it's a competing engine. Amazon bought full rights to the engine, everything short of actually buying it outright, makes it available under a different name, and is heavily modifying it. It's legally a different engine.

You of all people shouldn't be reading my post as serious. :justpost:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Discussing a hypothetical game allows for fantasies beyond count.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
When dealing with Sammie it helps to use a rhyme to remember.
Righty sight-y, lefty loss-y.

Cause he's blind in the one eye.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

tuo posted:

I think I deserve a blocked buddies tag even though I was eventually unblocked, since it was my scurrilous quoting of a blocked rear end-clown that started this whole mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Lladre posted:

You of all people shouldn't be reading my post as serious. :justpost:

I do it for the audience. Some people actually believe that argument.