Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
10ft 3wt Syndicate rod, a Lamson Liquid 2 (with the drag rolled all the way back for maximum palming, although it is pretty rare that I put a fish on the reel at all. I did yesterday!), Rio Euro Nymph fly line (which is about 000 weight) tied straight to 18" of bi-color sighting material and about 4 feet of 6x or 7x Rio fluorocarbon tippet. I normally use like 16ft of tapered monofilament leader between the fly line and the sighter, but that got hosed up last time I went out, and I hadn't bothered to replace it. The fish didn't seem to mind, but it forced me to rely more on visual, rather than tactile, strike detection. With monofilament in my guides and a finger on the back of the rod blank, I can feel my nymphs ticking off rocks as they drift down the river. The 3wt rod is used because it is really soft in the tip, and it provides insane amounts of shock protection for thin tippet materials when you fight fish with it at high angles.

That big rainbow took a size 16 rainbow warrior tied on a Hanak H300 BL Czech Nymph hook. My friend hooked the brown on a size 10 "alien stonefly," which he tied on one of my hooks that he found in a tree by the river on his property, and he made sure to rub that fact in.

Probably the fish of the day, courtesy of The Professional, Mr. Andrew Watson. This dude is a max level trout wizard:

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Beautiful trout. Thanks for the fly setup info, too. It doesn't seem like we get a lot of fly chat in here.

I used to flyfish a little when I was in Idaho and Montana, but there was this weird mentality of fishing hierarchy there, where it was like fly > lure > bait. Some guys would be pompous dicks about it and it really turned me off of flies in general. Maybe I'll get over it and try again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

West coast Sheep head have an odd sexual history if you got the time to read about them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

West coast Sheep head have an odd sexual history if you got the time to read about them.

Most people with teeth that hosed up do too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Ice fishing soon.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Is that the kind of frozen river that will soon be full of shacks in which one gets drunk while watching the Leafs lose?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Is that the kind of frozen river that will soon be full of shacks in which one gets drunk while watching the Leafs lose?

I was supposed to go this morning, but water started dripping between two walls this morning from a huge ice dam in the roof. Spent my morning up there smashing ice with a hammer instead of walleye and perch with a rod.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Most people with teeth that hosed up do too.

Heh. The oldest female will turn into a male when the resident stud for a colony dies.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If the Atlantic sheepshead is the derp fish, the Pacific one is like the dog-toothed mongoloid. What kind of god would allow the Pacific sheepshead to exist?

... I kinda want to catch one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

They are hard to target in the northern part of their range because they like kelp tangles. I’ve caught one in catalina Island Harbor.
A spear fishing freediver friend kills them like innocents because they have little fear of divers.
Makes good sashimi.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

I saw this video on YouTube today, might be a good tactic with all those little hair jigs you bought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqZfnRkIvc0

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Went out to the pier yesterday and caught this little striped perch, and another one that was too small to keep. I'll cut it up for fillet practice and maybe make a sandwich and some cat snacks. I'm still trying to figure out things to do with perch meat that isn't battered or dredged and fried. The meat is really delicate, bordering on mushy. It tastes nice, though, so I'm working on it. Maybe like Thai or Vietnamese style fishballs, possibly in a soup?

Perch discoveries: striped perch on the pier have smaller mouths than the redtails that I catch in the surf, so I've been scaling down my hook size. I think they may prefer brass hooks to the black ones that I've been using, so I'm going to try that. They don't seem to give a poo poo at all about Gulp! worms, despite the hype, and they did not bite on squid either. That surprised me, since there are lots of squid in Puget Sound. The old Asian man pulling them in yesterday was using shrimp as bait, so I think I'll try that next time I go out.

The view from my local pier ain't half bad, and the mix of people I've fished with there have been really cool. Old Asian people are guaranteed to catch 3x more perch than me, and yesterday I fished with a couple of old black dudes and it was cool as hell. You can see perch in the water from the pier, and now the phrase, "I see 'em, I got something for that rear end," is something that I associate with fishing, and you should too.

You spend a lot of time looking down at the pier. The water is usually very clear, and the perch move around a lot. Also the crab in the frame is a total bait thief piece of poo poo.

Babby's first flatfish. I caught this little guy last month fishing off of the bottom at the same pier. I'd love to be able to catch larger ones on the reg, so maybe I'll be able to figure out where to do that.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

I saw this video on YouTube today, might be a good tactic with all those little hair jigs you bought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqZfnRkIvc0

Thanks! I will give this a watch when I'm not at work, but I saw a couple of doughy white guys in camo sitting in a boat so I know it is definitely a fishing video on YouTube.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Thanks! I will give this a watch when I'm not at work, but I saw a couple of doughy white guys in camo sitting in a boat so I know it is definitely a fishing video on YouTube.

Haha! Yeah it's the Tactical Bassin' guys doing a video on their way of fishing the Float n Fly. They put out tons of quality vids.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Haha! Yeah it's the Tactical Bassin' guys doing a video on their way of fishing the Float n Fly. They put out tons of quality vids.

Yes, they are extremely cool and put out a ton of content, even though the chubbier one looks like he absolutely hates speaking on camera.

Three more days of warm weather and my local pants should be unfrozen and ready for action.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm going surf fishing at Toke Point near a town called Tokeland on Saturday. I hope there is a souvenir shop.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Good lord that’s a driver for some surf perch.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, it's a 2.5 hour trek but at least it's a really pretty drive out on the peninsula. I'd love it if we could get some fish in addition to surf perch, but as I'm sure you're aware, the season for most good stuff doesn't start until mid-March. It would be cool to throw a crab pot out there since the season is year round on the coast but I don't know of a good way to do that from the shore.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I'm going surf fishing at Toke Point near a town called Tokeland on Saturday. I hope there is a souvenir shop.

Uh, I would like a pair beer coozies if they have them. Completely serious.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah, it's a 2.5 hour trek but at least it's a really pretty drive out on the peninsula. I'd love it if we could get some fish in addition to surf perch, but as I'm sure you're aware, the season for most good stuff doesn't start until mid-March. It would be cool to throw a crab pot out there since the season is year round on the coast but I don't know of a good way to do that from the shore.

Crab snares with a heavy surf casting rod will do. If you don’t want to buy a snare use a chicken leg in panty hose tied off to the line.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

use a chicken leg in panty hose tied off to the line.

Those pictures were private!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Uh, I would like a pair beer coozies if they have them. Completely serious.

I will check; I owe you a coozie anyway!

LingcodKilla posted:

Crab snares with a heavy surf casting rod will do. If you don’t want to buy a snare use a chicken leg in panty hose tied off to the line.

I've heard about tactics like this, but haven't tried any yet. One suggestion was just to put a tangle of line around a baited hook so the crab can't just release the bait when they hit the surface, like they always loving do. Anyway, I have a two rod endorsement so conceivably I could keep a crab rod in a sand spike while I fish for perch with the other. I keep lobbying my buddy to go to the pier at Westport and let the crab pots soak while we fish, but to no avail.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

If there are Tokeland coozies being bought sign me up, I'll PayPal you cash. Fun fact, I love to toke!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Slightly off topic but still posting a fish... Did you guys know there was another Blue Planet that came out in 2017? Check this poo poo out, so freaking cool. Watched Episode 1 tonight, was outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pxLHG0Wzs

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I want one of those coozies too :350:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

joem83 posted:

Slightly off topic but still posting a fish... Did you guys know there was another Blue Planet that came out in 2017? Check this poo poo out, so freaking cool. Watched Episode 1 tonight, was outstanding.

Related, this guy ties up a floating bird fly out of a flip flop he finds on the beach and catches a GT with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYq7i4u3XBA&t=50s

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I cannot guarantee that these coozies exist, but if they do, I'll be buying out the store.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I cannot guarantee that these coozies exist, but if they do, I'll be buying out the store.

This is amazing. :allears:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

joem83 posted:

I wonder what sort of lure would imitate a low flying bird? Some sort of little kite? A drone?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I actually think I like Tokeland more than Weed, CA.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

I actually think I like Tokeland more than Weed, CA.

Weed, CA is a little too on the nose in comparison to the Land of Tokes.

Sockington posted:

This is amazing. :allears:

Just trying to better the thread! :tipshat: This thread is like Idealist Internet 1.0 to me, where people across the world with a common interest discuss it with humor and civility. It motivates me to fish more often and I learn a lot from y'all. If the coozies don't exist, I'm thinking about having some made.

gay picnic defence posted:

I wonder what sort of lure would imitate a low flying bird? Some sort of little kite? A drone?

It guess it would have to be a drone. Last time I was surf fishing there were these swarms of swallows that would dive bomb the water and get caught in my line. It made me feel lovely to tangle them up like that, but they didn't even fall into the water before righting themselves so I got over it. How's summer fishing?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

It guess it would have to be a drone. Last time I was surf fishing there were these swarms of swallows that would dive bomb the water and get caught in my line. It made me feel lovely to tangle them up like that, but they didn't even fall into the water before righting themselves so I got over it. How's summer fishing?

Too windy to get the yak out the last couple of weekends so it has been pretty quiet. I hit up the local surf beach last week for a spin session but got donuts.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

Too windy to get the yak out the last couple of weekends so it has been pretty quiet. I hit up the local surf beach last week for a spin session but got donuts.

When I was a kid my dad used to come home from Saturday morning fishing trips with donuts if he didn't catch anything worth keeping. He'd say "I only caught round fish" and we loved it.

I sometimes get Krispy Kreme on my way home if I get skunked :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Everything is ice. Despite being our third day in the high 40s, most freshwater impoundments around here are still covered in 4 to 5 inches of ice. Friday is supposed to be like 60 and raining all morning, so hopefully that will get things thawing.

Somethings got to give soon here, I don't want to spend the weekend sitting on a pier trying to catch a catfish that I don't even want to, but that may be the only option.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Everything is ice. Despite being our third day in the high 40s, most freshwater impoundments around here are still covered in 4 to 5 inches of ice. Friday is supposed to be like 60 and raining all morning, so hopefully that will get things thawing.

Somethings got to give soon here, I don't want to spend the weekend sitting on a pier trying to catch a catfish that I don't even want to, but that may be the only option.

Goddamnit. :( It sounds like serious thaw conditions tomorrow, though, so fingers crossed for you. Do catfish bite in the winter, and would you be fishing for trout or bass otherwise?

Danthrax posted:

When I was a kid my dad used to come home from Saturday morning fishing trips with donuts if he didn't catch anything worth keeping. He'd say "I only caught round fish" and we loved it.

I sometimes get Krispy Kreme on my way home if I get skunked :)

This is great, and should be as much a part of the ritual as gas station coffee.

Also, I have learned that the Tokeland Marina has at one point sold hats. This information appears to be a few years old, but I'd be surprised if they didn't still sell hats. Hopefully that is a good sign for coozies. :pray:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is everything else as dilapidated?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I haven't actually been yet, but probably, yeah. It's a tiny town that doesn't get tourism like Ocean Shores does. Actually Ocean Shores is pretty much the only town on the coast that isn't a bit run down, but I think that's why I like the WA coast so much.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Anybody do much jetty fishing?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

In my youth, a ton. Santa Cruz small boat harbor had excellent fishing for cabbys and rockfish in the holes among the rocks. If you got lucky casting out you could get a salmon or halibut. The rub? You could also not be paying attention and get slammed by a wave, washed into a crack and die by drowning or blood loss from all the razor sharp barnacles.
Be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

LingcodKilla posted:

In my youth, a ton. Santa Cruz small boat harbor had excellent fishing for cabbys and rockfish in the holes among the rocks. If you got lucky casting out you could get a salmon or halibut. The rub? You could also not be paying attention and get slammed by a wave, washed into a crack and die by drowning or blood loss from all the razor sharp barnacles.
Be careful.

you can fall down the crack between your bed and the wall and starve to death