Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

Correct. That people are even questioning this amazes me.

It's MoMA. Does it still amaze you?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Not-So-Secret Santa Streetroller Giveaway
PO Box "That Star Citizen Thread"
Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Streetroller,

To me, Star Citizen has always been about ethics. If CIG wants to comprehensively fail at making a video game, that’s fine, so long as it’s on their own dime. But they compulsively misrepresent their product, and openly lie and misdirect the public as an intentional marketing strategy in order to lure prospective customers. They continually manipulate existing customers with false promises, high-pressure sales techniques, and aggressive retcon with the sole purpose of upselling. I share in your disgust with CIG’s predatory marketing and sales tactics. We all do.

But you have shown the courage, intelligence, and determination to put your ethics into action as a means to promote positive change, and that makes you a great person. Your story is inspiring, and nobody can take that from you.

One thing I’ve learned about shitizens: The ugliness of their response is directly proportional to the perceived threat you pose to their delusion. You know you have a physical disability. But the fact that they would stoop so low as to exploit that as a rhetorical technique is a perfect expression of their intellectual impotence and the deep subconscious anxiety that subsumes their brittle belief system. It’s an indefensible indictment against their character. It can’t feel good, but whatever the outcome of your lawsuit, you’ve already won. Their flailing insults, their ignorant rants, are but roses thrown from the cheap seats during your victory lap.

All the best,
Toops

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

It's MoMA. Does it still amaze you?

MoMA doesn't have a choice. He has to defend CIG, even if the defense goes dead against objective reality. I'm more surprised by the real people who still don't get it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Streetroller,

You may not know me, but I'm sure you've heard about me from a manifesto that seems to see the light of day from time to time in this thread. I'm the Stimperor, and it is with a heavy heart (and a few amputated fingers and blood) that I pen this letter to you. You may have preconceived notions of me that may make me look unfavorable to a few people. But don't let those stories of torture, vivisection, liquid skeletons and other atrocities cloud your judgement. I'm actually an okay guy. It isn't easy ruling trillions of people.

The reason I'm writing you this letter is to say that the comments horrified me and sickened me in ways I never thought possible. In light of this I might review some of my own procedures of rule and adjust if necessary.

If you are ever in the neighborhood of the 4th Stimpire, stop in for a visit and be my guest at a banquet featuring civil meat. Unless you were born on July 14th and then I suggest we remain pen pals.

Respectfully yours,

The Stimperor, esq

You can take my NAL posting. You can take my structured data chat, but you'll have to pry affinity from my cold dead hands.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

sushi

no this isn't a joke, it was p good

I would never eat strip club sushi. This sounds like a huge health risk. :barf:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

I would never eat strip club sushi. This sounds like a huge health risk. :barf:

I prefer the red snapper.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

G0RF posted:

The silent lurker population here varies but over the course of a given month but includes:
  • CIG folk like the thread intern, who feels like an old pal or pal-ette at this point (Raises glass, nods understandingly.)
  • Foundry folk with complicated feelings
  • Relay folk and other streamers who mostly despise us and believe we are all of one mind controlled by Derek
  • Friendly Heretics silently monitoring for laughs
  • Denizens from /SC picking up “intel” from Behind Enemy Lines because LARP!
  • Exiles from /DS who make screaming at their monitors a part of their daily therapeutic routine
  • Free-ranging skeptics from other SC discussion hubs like Frontier, MMORPG, 4chan, etc. who carry :lol:s back to their preferred SC homes
  • A few game journos/bloggers
  • Game industry folk picking up water cooler chatter (“You hear “you can fit all of Skyrim in there” crap? The nerve of that guy.)
  • LAZRIN!!!, the legend
  • Ex-CIG folks just having a :lol:
  • If Coutts and Crytek don’t have minions paying $10 yet they probably will once they figure out how much easier the research gets.

And more. Not all at once, not all the time, but regularly enough. Thread is, like Star Citizen, still good.

I was a friendly heretic then decided to join and become a full blown deplorable.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

If they are utilizing LY, and Amazon purchased a full license and right to sub license from CryTek, how is that a competing engine? I read that as UE4, Unity, etc...

Moma.. noooo!

You were doing so good, buddy. :(

What happened???

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Titanic posted:

Moma.. noooo!

You were doing so good, buddy. :(

What happened???

Shift change at the MoMA desk, probably. This is why good hand-off procedures are a must.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Golli posted:

It wasn't bad. It wasn't spectacular either.

2/5

That means bad. Or, if it is a vidja game score, loving awful.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tippis posted:

Shift change at the MoMA desk, probably. This is why good hand-off procedures are a must.

He really just sometimes totally gives up. Dumb moma is even worse than angry condescending moma because you just have to go “what the hell man?” when otherwise he seems like a pretty smart chap.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

The Titanic posted:

This is a fantastic post. I always appreciate your in depth views and methods of coding and construction of game systems. You’ve got a wealth of knowledge it seems!

I only feel qualified to comment because I’ve made these same mistakes myself, repeatedly, and I’ve worked on games that have both succeeded and failed. But when it comes to game dev, this thread is chock full of people with way more knowledge and experience than me, and I’m honored to count myself among their ranks.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

I prefer the red snapper.

Do you eat it with your bare hands or so you just start digging in like a caveman over a freshly killed walrus?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:kimchi: x 1,000.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
You did the right thing Beet.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

I only feel qualified to comment because I’ve made these same mistakes myself, repeatedly, and I’ve worked on games that have both succeeded and failed. But when it comes to game dev, this thread is chock full of people with way more knowledge and experience than me, and I’m honored to count myself among their ranks.

You certainly are! I’m just another member of the “business programming” group here that’s never worked on games before. Though I’m playing around with UE4. :)

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

Beet what's up with the blocked buddies tag?

well jel

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

The carnage knows no end.

The Titanic posted:

Do you eat it with your bare hands or so you just start digging in like a caveman over a freshly killed walrus?

He could have said that he enjoyed the clams.

Edit:

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 12, 2018

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Streetroller,

I've just caught up with the thread, watched your vid the other day and braced for the expected tirades in the comment section. After reading through them all I have to say on the matter is this:

Despite what the eye would have anyone believe, you sir, you stand the tallest of all. Never lose that unshakable resolve.

May you be victorious in your battle against CR and the very mention of your name render him unable to stand without pooping. :cheers:

Just my 2 cents really.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: Anyone know if that doc series has been broadcast or whether it is upcoming?

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Toops posted:

Nice post, and I'll just add this: Even if your feature design is simple, such as

:f5: :five: :five: :five:

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Lladre posted:

If this doesn't make you think long and hard about yourself you might want to consider a Phoenix.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

If they are utilizing LY, and Amazon purchased a full license and right to sub license from CryTek, how is that a competing engine? I read that as UE4, Unity, etc...

My dude, if Lumberyard is the same engine, then they are still bound by the original agreement, because they're still using CryEngine.

If Lumberyard is not the same engine, then it is a competing engine.

If they are licensing CryEngine from another party, such that CryEngine is being cut out, that is competition, is it not?

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Your punishment for this act will be offered when you (maybe) have a child, and at 6 this child will call on similar logic to deflect the real issue. You will feel a sense of proud parental duty in correcting this child and setting them on a more productive path, all while secretly and silently knowing that you, as an adult, are as dumb as a small child.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Streetroller,

I think the way you handled your pursuit of a refund was an act of steely-eyed brinksmanship that emphasized both how important it is for consumers to know their rights, and how to exercise those rights effectively. It was great, and my spirits were genuinely lifted when you got (at least most of) your money back. Anyway, this is just a quick note to let you know two things that I hope you are already aware of:

1. You have a magnificent head of hair. Seriously, take a moment to look in a mirror and really appreciate it. Then think about how much money Chris Roberts has spent hoping to get even halfway to that thick, lustrous mane of yours, and laugh.

2. Your voice is also really nice. (Also, you sound like a friend I had in college, which I realize isn't intentional, but thanks for that anyway.)

Best of luck with your lawsuit, and stay warm over there!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

so here is the thread's Not-So-Secret Santa Streetroller Giveaway

I don't want to be entered into any kind of prize for this so I'm not using the header but I'm gonna write a thing anyway, and wanted to link the motivating post.

Dear Streetroller,

Sincerity matters. Never stop being sincere.

A lot of the last two decades of internet churn have forced those of us who engage in it regularly to build up certain defenses. One of the worst, in my opinion, is the "Ironic detachment" affected by a lot of people. It's hard to be hurt by things if you don't care about them, after all, and it's really easy to out-cool other people by identifying their motives and then tweaking them. The more sincere you are, the easier it is to figure out what drives you and poke you about it. It's true, being too-cool-for-the-thread-you-post-in-ten-times-a-day is one defense against that particular blow to the ego. But when you're being that cool it's also hard to express genuine joy about things, and it's hard to be supportive. It's hard to build communities.

This is one of the things that really turned me on to Star Citizen when it first launched- people cared fiercely about the dumb space game, on the CIG forums and the subreddit and on here, and that let them connect to each other. We are in danger of losing that, after all this time. People don't care nearly as much anymore, after the repeated blows and disappointments, and those that are left on the inside are less the "Sincerely like the game" types and more the "Desperately using the game to paper over gaping holes in their psyche" types. Out here in heretic land, you've still got a few sincere people, but that affection for the product has largely turned to anger these days, and it's kind of hard to stay all that angry once your money is out. So mostly it devolves into ironic shitposting, which in turn is kind of caustic to the few people who do feel strongly because it highlights how silly it is to give a poo poo about any of this.

It's not silly though. That's kind of the point. Star Citizen represents a major moment in gaming history- giant crowdfunding success, giant development disaster, one of the most intensely lovely management teams ever assembled, and so on. You know that drill by now. This is a thing that matters, if you enjoy gaming as a hobby or as a community. It's important to be kind of pissed off about this, and to keep throwing it in CIG's face until either the law changes or the whole company falls apart. There's a reason to still care about all of this, and there will be consequences if we stop. Maybe not earth shattering, but I like my hobby and I'd like to pull the publishers and the players back from the brink of toxic garbage it seems to hover over, these days.

Nobody ever changed the world through ironic shitposting, no matter what 4chan may tell you. This is your cause, and you care about it, and that's enough. Keep caring about it, keep being sincere. Just by being out there, you can sway public opinion. There are other ways to defend the ego than ironic detachment, and one of them is to be right and polite and willing to listen. You never know when the rest of the world will pay attention, given how rapidly things seem to bubble up through the public consciousness these days. But if they do, one side's going to look like they found it crawling under a rock. Let those who want to troll you absolutely beat themselves apart on the granite of your sincerity.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 12, 2018

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Streetroller,

The terrible people commenting on your video are some sad, hurt people. They would think they're powerful because they're getting in some sick burns on the internet but they are largely losers playing life on Easy Mode.

You wanted to hold CIG to task. We all shitpost here for giggles but you want to actually do something to hold Chris Roberts to account. You've shown actual character as a person putting yourself out there in front of a largely toxic cesspool of fanatics. If you weren't you, or what I know from your short video, I would worry. But by minute 20 I knew that you've got this. No matter the outcome, you're going to grow from the experience. People are telling you not to read comments but that's your choice to make. Your feelings on this matter of CIG, accountability and self are your own and I think they're pretty cool too.

The reason the lowest scum are commenting on your disability is they're so threatened by you. They're willing to throw everything they've got at you because they are just so loving scared that you're going to hold their precious multinational corporation to the fire if even a little bit. They're coming at you, and what they're bringing is largely hot air and garbage. You're going to do you. The court system will sort things out with CIG, and they will continue to be tiny people because that's the limit of their imagination and skill set. Really I just wanted to say

Keep doing what you're doing.

toops did it better

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 12, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Beverly Hills, CA 

Dear Streetroller,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=3471&perpage=40#post480186355

Love,

Beer

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Streetroller,

What you need is a nice hot tub to soak away all your worries. I think it's in the Constellation spaceship. Or will be. One day. I mean maybe. It probably won't. It was never a promise. If anything, it was the opposite of a promise. The hot tub was never meant seriously, it was a parody. It was always going to be emergent gameplay, you don't really need the hot tub to enjoy the hot tub when you think about it. So yeah.

Boomshanka.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Timby posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I've dealt with contracts extensively throughout my career, and Crytek undergoing extensive restructuring in 2014 because of inability to pay its debt ... that seems to me as a strong contender to qualify the conditions of 8.2(b)(ii).

In, which case CIG has to notify Crytek in writing that they are terminating the contract per 8.2(b)(ii) which at that point gives Crytek an opportunity to challenge that claim. CIG can then go ahead and in writing state they're still terminating the contract anyway which at that point gives an opportunity for both parties to settle the termination matter in court. CIG never terminated the contract, which they confirm in their legal response. They just switched engines and went YOLO! All of Crytek's lawsuit centers on enforcing items from the current contract, which was never terminated.

I mean either or both parties could be lying in their lawsuit filings and discovery will uncover that it was somehow legally terminated, although I think that's unlikely.

My opinion is that Ortwin and Chris were greedy and were waiting for Crytek to go bankrupt so they can swoop in and buy out the license for super cheap and/or grab the rest of the employees from there or just keep their license for free after Crytek dies. Instead Amazon swooped in and saved Crytek. So it will be hilarious if, in the end, this Amazon action is what ends ups killing CIG. Especially given how all the Shitizens are swooning over them about how they will send their Amazon super lawyers to join Ortwin's Space Justice League.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 12, 2018

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Streetroller,

Despite your alleged shortcomings in the no-no zone, I wish I had your balls.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Is reading an article on Kotaku stating that Crytek is dead reason enough to assume that you can go ahead and assume a contract is void?

Asking for a friend.

E; Need an answer quickly

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Beverly Hills, CA

Dear Streetroller,

I think people underestimate the power of taking a stand, or perhaps they understand the danger to the ideas and order that they subscribe to and so strike out with unfeeling anger. Rosa Parks, The Lawrence family in the UK, Erin Brockovich to name but a few and ofc the 300 Spartans who when told that the Persian arrows would block out the sun (a metaphor for all the hateful shitposts you appear to have recieved from some truly delightful people off the internet) said: Welp fine - we'll fight in the shade then. They all effected change. Take your stand man because when confronted with a mountain of lies it only takes one small truth to bring the mountain down.

Cheers.

Galarox fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 12, 2018

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

Is reading an article on Kotaku stating that Crytek is dead reason enough to assume that you can go ahead and assume a contract is void?

Asking for a friend.

I dont know.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#MaytheFarcebewithYou

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

That pretty much settles the debate between the incredulous "who would buy that" and "lol they'll be gone in two seconds" camps.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Dusty Lens posted:

Asking for a friend.

gently caress no. If you're even contemplating that you should create as many shell companies as you can and juggle all your money around between them. This will give you time to disappear without a trace in the event of a lawsuit.

Trust me, I'm an entertainment lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm glad there are at least between 350 and 1150 complete idiots still invested in dreams.