Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

OoohU posted:

It's off 25% should I do it? I've heard some people like the new dynamics and scouting and other people hate it. Also hows the match engine handling things now or are average wing backs still gods like 16/17?

This is me staring at that 25% off sweating bullets wondering if i I should get it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

OoohU posted:

It's off 25% should I do it? I've heard some people like the new dynamics and scouting and other people hate it. Also hows the match engine handling things now or are average wing backs still gods like 16/17?

i actually really like the dynamics & scouting, and the match engine is good even if crosses are still op

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am going to get this to replace FM16 for myself on the last day of the steam sale probably....

What facepack do you guys recommend?

What skin do you guys like to use? I def want one with instant result....

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I just copy over the whole graphics folder from the previous FM.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mandalay posted:

I just copy over the whole graphics folder from the previous FM.

If players are on different teams.....wont the faces be all hosed up?

and skins work between different versions?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Waroduce posted:

If players are on different teams.....wont the faces be all hosed up?

and skins work between different versions?

Each player has an individual ID in the database that the face packs refer to, those IDs don't change between versions. Same for kits, logos etc. Skins don't work between versions and there's no Vitrex skin this year so I've literally just been using the default and I'm not hating it this time

I've taken to designing my team a new kit every time I get a new main shirt sponsor in game though and it's adding a new level to MY IMMERSION

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 27, 2017

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Some goon made an amazing custom database for the last Football Manager I ever played, 2013. It was basically a super league with all the world's teams arranged into a single pyramid. Diamond League, Gold League, etc all the way down. The idea of playing it in 2017 is really appealing to me right now. Does such a thing exist for this year's version?

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
So do any of you use loan fee's when you loan out players? I've always avoided it since I'm afraid it'll deter bids for my youngins but I kinda wanna start a Chelsea type academy.

Considering setting my loan standards at 100% wages and 200% loan fee but I feel like this will probably kill off my loan options. Guess I'll find out... :10bux:

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I read somewhere that the game considers a fair loan price to be roughly a quarter of their listed value. So, you divide by 12 and then by 4 to get the monthly amount. But, this monthly amount should include both the fee and the salary so trade them off as necessary. I normally undershoot this a bit but it seems to work ok.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So I have FM on my personal laptop and my corporate laptop cause I can use it on planes and it doesn't kill my battery.

I use a custom database cause I like to add myself to the game.

What's the best way to sync saved games and the database between two devices? Save to cloud and call it a day?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Waroduce posted:

So I have FM on my personal laptop and my corporate laptop cause I can use it on planes and it doesn't kill my battery.

I use a custom database cause I like to add myself to the game.

What's the best way to sync saved games and the database between two devices? Save to cloud and call it a day?

it should just do that automatically via steam, shouldn't it?

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Steam sync works ok, but you need to exit the game and wait a few minutes before closing the laptop if you want it to sync.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I plop my whole game folder into Dropbox. Backs up the save games, graphics, tactics, whatever, and lets me use it seamlessly across home and laptop.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

Mandalay posted:

I plop my whole game folder into Dropbox. Backs up the save games, graphics, tactics, whatever, and lets me use it seamlessly across home and laptop.

Oh drat that's actually genius.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Time to bury my football manager game somewhere in the corporate drop box

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Waroduce posted:

Time to bury my football manager game somewhere in the corporate drop box

When in doubt, nobody ever questions a folder that has "Management" in the title, so you're halfway there as it is.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Zaodai posted:

When in doubt, nobody ever questions a folder that has "Management" in the title, so you're halfway there as it is.

"Management , Training, and Motivation 2018". They'll line up in droves not to open that folder.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
All you need now is a skin that makes it look even more like a spreadsheet.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ragingsheep posted:

All you need now is a skin that makes it look even more like a spreadsheet.

About ten years ago I definitely remember using a version of FM that was a straight-up spreadsheet. It was sort of not very fun, but did give you imaginary football results after a bit of fiddling.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

so how many games in FM18 do you outpossess your opponent 66-34, get dozens of shots on net and still lose 1-0?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
its your tactics mate

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jason Sextro posted:

so how many games in FM18 do you outpossess your opponent 66-34, get dozens of shots on net and still lose 1-0?

get that possession down to 55-45

play faster, looser and with worse players. The results will come.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Jason Sextro posted:

Hello Arsene is it you?

As an Arsenal fan I wish in real life we got points for XG instead of G

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Managing Millwall, who are some good loan ins for a championship side?

Also, when I make the Prem in a year or two who are some good younger buys? I don't wanna just go look at a wonderkid list

I usually run a 4-3-2-1 with a BWM(D)/DLP(S)/AP(A) as my mid 3, 2 wingers on support and an AF(A).

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Do you still need to get work permits for players when you're in the Championship? If not, Humam Tariq is a good young signing on the cheap, he's never gonna develop into a world beater but he'll do a job at a lower prem club in the AP role. I'd also consider Lewis Morgan from St Mirren and Yanik Frick from Perugia. I dunno about loan signings really, but Sead Haksabanovic at West Ham would do a job on the wing or at AP in the Champ

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've reached the point where my team is successful and now I'm just looking for players with really weird skillsets and trying to find a tactic for them to succeed in, I've just signed a 6ft5 attacking midfielder and a 5ft5 keeper, to go with my center backs who are both under 6ft

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've reached the point where my team is successful and now I'm just looking for players with really weird skillsets and trying to find a tactic for them to succeed in, I've just signed a 6ft5 attacking midfielder and a 5ft5 keeper, to go with my center backs who are both under 6ft

This is amazing. I’m going to do an all ginger XI.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Manage Rapid Vienna and only sign players with at least 17 in Pace and Acceleration.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sebzilla posted:

Manage Rapid Vienna and only sign players with at least 17 in Pace and Acceleration.

omg this is even better than having your 2 scouts be Barry and Alex Hunter and only signing players called Barry and Alex

I tried to make a squad of Kaka, Kara, Keko, Coke, Koke et al but I could never quite make a starting XI let alone find a full squad, even stretching it to include Baba and Zaza

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

omg this is even better than having your 2 scouts be Barry and Alex Hunter and only signing players called Barry and Alex

I thought about doing this but also allowing myself to sign anyone with the surname Hunt or Hunter with the hope of convincing them to be scouts when they retired. Then I realised it was a stupid loving idea.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've been really struggling not to buy a couple of distinctly average youth players because they've got great names, Malcolm Wooley-Bottomer and Liberal Castro

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Newell's old boys with only players 35 or over who were trained at the club.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've been really struggling not to buy a couple of distinctly average youth players because they've got great names, Malcolm Wooley-Bottomer and Liberal Castro

I signed an average regen called Milan Jovanovic for my Liverpool team, basically just because of that clip.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I decided to manage Siena and good god lower league play is way fun even if the game mechanics aren't really optimized for it.

Like, are there really people tweeting about Serie C players, there's like 300 people at the game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bewbies posted:

I decided to manage Siena and good god lower league play is way fun even if the game mechanics aren't really optimized for it.

Like, are there really people tweeting about Serie C players, there's like 300 people at the game.

I did live updates to half a dozen Swansea fans for an u23s game on Monday. There are sad bastards watching and commenting on everything.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
How do I run a 5-3-2 or a 5-3-1-1 in fm?

Effort posts appreciated

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waroduce posted:

How do I run a 5-3-2 or a 5-3-1-1 in fm?

Effort posts appreciated

Wingbacks on support. Strikers move into channels. At least one CM-A.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had a weird sitaution happen in my FM17.

Paris Saint German won the champions league and then disappeared from the competition in the following year. I checked their schedule and outside of the super cup they aren't present in any international competition.

:wtc:?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Maybe they failed FFP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dallan Invictus posted:

Maybe they failed FFP?

The AI can fail those? I honestly assumed those would be a player thing mostly.

in 18\19 they spent 170M above what they sold, 140M in 19\20, 110M in 20\21, 130M in 21\22 and 70M in 22\23 so maybe their finances ended up biting them in their asses? :iiam: