Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Dave Inc. posted:

I mean you threatened to kill someone but okay. Maybe next time just hang out in the right lane and defuse rage instead of heaping it on.

And I would have killed him if I needed to in order to defend my livelihood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

joe944 posted:

Post/Avatar combo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dave Inc. posted:

defuse rage instead of heaping it on.

:yeah: anything you do that isn’t ignoring the road rage is just feeding it and at that point it’s two idiots on the road instead of one. Stay on the right lane, slow down, call the cops if needed. Trying to aggressively pass the guy raging at you is just throwing fuel in the fire and endangering everyone else on the road.

joe944 posted:

Oh never mind you’re a loving idiot too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

joe944 posted:

I think I handled it just fine.

I disagree 100%, if they get out of the car you drive off as soon as it's safe to do so. Never know when you piss off an idiot with a gun.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

I disagree 100%, if they get out of the car you drive off as soon as it's safe to do so. Never know when you piss off an idiot with a gun.

What do you think I did? I yelled at him to keep him away from my vehicle until I was safe to get away, which I did.

I actually did have a gun in the car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Never know when you piss off an idiot with a gun.

You mean the guy with a dashcam, right?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

joe944 posted:

What do you think I did? I yelled at him to keep him away from my vehicle until I was safe to get away, which I did.

I actually did have a gun in the car.

No, you blocked off an entire lane and then yelled at him to stay away, you were fine to drive off before you said anything.

xzzy posted:

You mean the guy with a dashcam, right?

Apparently and unfortunately I did.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Oh yeah obviously I missed the part where I stopped traffic on the freeway.

He was approaching my vehicle, I was keeping my eye on him and making sure I had room to actually go before doing so.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think you escalated a situation with someone who was clearly not all there, without thinking of the consequences, or really understanding them for that matter.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

joe944 posted:

Oh yeah obviously I missed the part where I stopped traffic on the freeway.

He was approaching my vehicle, I was keeping my eye on him and making sure I had room to actually go before doing so.

Agreed, going from 0 to Highway? Speeds with traffic coming up behind without waiting for a proper opening would have been wrong. And being able to discuss wehter trying to overtake the (it's called break checking?) guy is right or wrong is rather easy from the couch. It's certainly harder when you're actually in the situation. Most people feel safe in a car. And Ads reinforce the conditioning that you're in control/power while driving. Thus any minor slight (like the merge before the video) can easily cause more trouble than situations without Cars being involved. Which is further enhanced by the lack of being able to really communicate with any other driver. Except from honking and ramming etc.
It's similar to the psychological reason why you should try to avoid having an "emotional" discussion inside your car. Because neither party can leave the car, everyone feels like a cornered animal with no way to escape. That's why an argument between a couple will more easily escalate in a car than at home.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

What airport are you closest to/on a possible route to/from in that vid?

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Theris posted:

What airport are you closest to/on a possible route to/from in that vid?

Could either be SFO or San Jose. Basically right in the middle.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rule #1 when dealing with tailgaters, brake checkers and road ragers: DON'T PLAY THEIR GAME.

Don't try to overtake. Stay in your lane, keep your distance and keep him in front of you. Drive nicely and normally. Never get out of your car, unless police is present.

Don't. Be. An. Idiot.

You were both gigantic idiots. Him for starting it over a minor traffic thing, you for continuing to escalate it. You seriously looked like you were trying to race him, further angering him. You let yourself get pulled in, don't do it again.

There is no excuse.

joe944 posted:

This is absolutely the wrong attitude. You shouldn't be driving.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 12, 2018

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

It's wrong to defend yourself when someone is attacking you?

You're allowed to have your own opinions. I don't share them. Don't spread them like they are fact, or "rules".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's wrong to escalate a situation that you know full well that you are willing to end with an exchange of gunfire.

There was no justification for getting into a road race over whatever happened.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

I didn't escalate, I was trying to prevent an active attacker from having the upper hand, which he was able to take advantage of by stopping me on the freeway, as evidenced by the video.

Glad to know you would be an easy target for a criminal, or errant TSA agent, to take advantage of.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just when I thought we'd evolved past the PCOS Bill era.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Christ, watching that video almost gave me an anxiety attack.

A significantly more aggressive version of that dude was basically what happened to me last summer on the Long Island Expressway. Oh yeah and he was also shining a laser pointer over his shoulder trying to blind me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

joe944 posted:

Oh, you stupid bastard.

No, it's fine to defend yourself if someone attacks you. If you can't get out of a situation, if someone attacks you, and you need to defend yourself, you do it. But I don't think you actually understand what that means, what the response to a real threat is, because if you did, you wouldn't be acting Billy big bollocks trying to provoke such a scenario straight past multiple opportunities to de-escalate or avoid the conflict.

If you continue as you are, someone will kill you, or you will put yourself in a position of killing someone else "in self defence" when it could have been avoided.

joe944 posted:

Glad to know you would be an easy target for a criminal, or errant TSA agent, to take advantage of.
Because you think de-escalation is weakness. That's what this boils down to. Learn to put your monkey brain back in its box and act like an adult who understands the consequences of this poo poo going south.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Guys I tailgated a mentally unstable driver and chased him down several times instead of slowing down and letting him go. I defended myself because what other alternative was there?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Ferret King posted:

Guys I tailgated a mentally unstable driver and chased him down several times instead of slowing down and letting him go. I defended myself because what other alternative was there?

It's different because you're the king

the ferret king

he's just joe

one of at least 944 others

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

joe944 posted:

I didn't escalate, I was trying to prevent an active attacker from having the upper hand, which he was able to take advantage of by stopping me on the freeway, as evidenced by the video.

I mean, you straight up threatened to kill the guy, admitted you have a gun in the car and would not hesitate to kill some random guy on the road to protect your livelihood, so yeah, I'm sure your actions didn't escalate the situation at all.

Also, the clip you posted starts well after the guy in the Mazda is road raging at you, so we don't even have the full picture to know who really was at fault.

I don't want to be argumentative or anything, dude, but you haven't exactly painted the prettiest picture for yourself.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I guess he's just a super alpha male and we're all (Edited: snowflakes?) waiting for a 23 year old TSA agent to murder us. Clearly the solution is for us all to buy guns to keep with us at all times instead of just being a grown-up.

Edited: Maybe I'm misremembering or thinking of another forum but I feel like we banned the other c-word a while back?

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 12, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

joe944 posted:

You're allowed to have your own opinions. I don't share them. Don't spread them like they are fact, or "rules".

If you hadn't repeatedly escalated the situation, he would have raged a bit and sped off. I've seen it plenty of times. You know why? Because I acted like an adult and didn't act to further enrage the person.

You tailgated him, sped up to catch him, tried to dart around him and generally drove in a very aggressive manner. You got suckered into playing his game. It's all right there in the video.

joe944 posted:

If you hadn't further enraged him, none of that would have happened.

You escalated the situation into an actual car chase, instead of just a guy acting like an idiot and speeding off. If you had kept your cool and not provoked him, he wouldn't have stopped you and approached your car, I guarantee it.

What kind of paranoid action movie fantasy do you think you live in?

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Also, the Mazda3 is a great car. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

hmmxkrazee posted:

Also, the Mazda3 is a great car. :colbert:

I just wish Mazda gave it a real red, not that weak "red hue so bland the car might as well be silver" shade they offer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

And given that TSA officers receive special training that makes MI6 look like idiots, he could probably disarm and incapitate any individual holding a gun within 100 meters before one has the chance to blink.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

What kind of paranoid action movie fantasy do you think you live in?

I've been robbed at gunpoint, have you? Try experiencing things in real life before you judge others.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This video generates a lot of questions.

https://i.imgur.com/BanxdcU.gifv

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

joe944 posted:

I've been robbed at gunpoint, have you? Try experiencing things in real life before you judge others.

You know what I bet would have escalated that situation? You trying to whip a gun out. Sorry you lost money instead of someone dying. It sucks but it's the second best outcome next to the robber rethinking his poor life choices and walking away.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

joe944 posted:

Knifepoint, yes, and I would much rather just have my replaceable things replaced than have a hole in my gut for trying to be an action hero.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

joe944 posted:

I know that after being robbed at gunpoint, my first instinct is to road rage right back at someone instead of trying to avoid the situation altogether.

As soon as he pulls in front of you, you could have just stayed behind him and given him plenty of distance in case he tries to brake-check you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Rule #1 when dealing with tailgaters, brake checkers and road ragers: DON'T PLAY THEIR GAME.

If someone is being obnoxious, I just get in the right lane and let them go on ahead.
If someone is seriously trying to start poo poo with me by swerving or brake checking, or whatever... I just dial 911, pull off to the shoulder, and make sure my sidearm is hot.
If they take off, great! If not, then just keep it in park, don't make eye contact, and stay on the phone with the police.

None of this applies if I'm on my motorcycle though. Then I have to be sure to punch a mirror, target fixate into a light pole, then upload it all to youtube.

xzzy posted:

This video generates a lot of questions.

https://i.imgur.com/BanxdcU.gifv

50-56 Pine St, Gympie QLD 4570, Australia
https://goo.gl/maps/cjoZo442w6K2

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 12, 2018

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

joe944 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyVyKZLZQ6A

Well this happened last month. I merged in front of this guy earlier on the bridge and he went nuts.

That whole thing is at least 1/3rd your fault. Other dude might be completely insane but you acted like an absolute child. Way to go getting the last word in about his piece of poo poo car though, I'm sure that made you feel a lot better about your definitely still intact masculinity.

Mahatma-Squid fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 12, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

joe944 posted:

Ok but you know it's not robbery if you throw your wallet at a gang banger and yell "DO SOMETHING! IM NOT TOUCHING YOUUUUUUUU" right?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You know what the best deescalation tactic is? CRUISE CONTROL

oh, and not being an armed insane person with clear rage issues

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

joe944 posted:

Is that supposed to be some kind of excuse?

Did the TSA agent in question rob you at gunpoint? How is this at all relevant to what should have been a minor traffic non-event, if you hadn't escalated the situation?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

I just wish Mazda gave it a real red, not that weak "red hue so bland the car might as well be silver" shade they offer.

Wait, wait, wait. The mazda red is an amazingly deep red that makes every car they put it on look better. You sir, are nuts.

Holy gently caress, that TSA agent is loving insane. OP escalated a bit, but I'll give him a pass once the dude gets out of the car. You are threatening him in self-defense to try to get him to back down, and going from 0 unto a lane at full speed is tough, particurly when some rear end in a top hat is trying to get into your car. Could he have done better? Absolutely, but whenbthat dude stops, gets out of his car, you're on lizard brain time.
What you should have done is called 911 when he started throwing poo poo. The fine for littering on CA freeway alone will ruin his day.
I'd forward that video to TSA, dude is nuts.

gently caress you for insulting mazdas though.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You know what the best deescalation tactic is? CRUISE CONTROL

oh, and not being an armed insane person with clear rage issues

No man, screaming "I WILL loving KILL YOU" makes the lesser male retreat and therefore deescalates the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
These are the people you briefly shared the road with: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-42661283/speeding-motorcyclist-caught-by-own-helmet-camera