Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I never understood the character of Venom. What's the deal with him? Is he a villain? Anti-hero?

A villain that was so popular they made him into an antihero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
*Dark Protector, actually

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
He was the first Spider-Man villain who wasn't a dorky, badly designed putz.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was the first Spider-Man villain who wasn't a dorky, badly designed putz.

Correction: the first Spider-Man villain who wasn't a dorky, badly designed putz in the eyes of children, as opposed to in the eyes of both adult and children.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is the first time I've ever realized how similar Punisher and Venom are in terms of design, popularity, and how they were developed and spun off. Both started as Spider-Man villains.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know being a huge fan of the original 60s and 70s run of Spider-Man, especially late 60s early 70s

Yeah no you both right.

Spider-Man is an amazing design that I still don't know how they pulled that off but loving Christ for as wonderful and great as his rogues gallery are, they are just a poo poo show design wise. To a one.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Chameleon was a stylish dude.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I always liked Vulture's old man look.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Venom also appeals to anybody who's even casually interested in Spider-Man but thinks it's even cooler for there to be a Spider-Man who is dark and kills people and isn't held back.

Though it's weird to think of people who are huge Venom fans, how as much as Venom can overpower Spider-Man physically that Peter can kind of uhh... cuck Brock basically anytime he wants to by getting the symbiote to come back to him.

*picture of Brock*
You

*picture of Peter Parker*
The guy your symbiote told you not to worry about

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'll hear nothing bad about Paste Pot Pete.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Correction: the first Spider-Man villain who wasn't a dorky, badly designed putz in the eyes of children, as opposed to in the eyes of both adult and children.

We should also clarify that we're talking about the original comicbook version of the character and definitely not the version from the 2007 movie which was a dorky putz with a disappointing design.

Edit: holy poo poo I just looked up some youtube videos to remind myself of that version and the video titled "Spiderman 3 All Venom scenes" is only 3 min 50 seconds long. Why even loving bother including the character. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

We should also clarify that we're talking about the original comicbook version of the character

Venom looks like a putz, like practically all comic book superheroes and supervillains do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

*Dark Protector, actually

That reminds me, his first stand alone storyline/series when they made him an anti-hero was even called Lethal Protector. It was about him killing folks who were trying to make a super soldier army out of bits of the symbiote (they made a video game loosely based on the second part of the story - Seperation Anxiety).

The other thing was this all took place on the west coast, which I assume was meant to become his permanent stomping grounds so they could do stories without Spider-Man always showing up.

Venom's design is awesome though because it was literally Spider-Man's costume at the time that the symbiote was imitating. So him going back to his classic colors after it left him made Venom immediately significant even if he wasn't a larger/angrier evil Spider-Man with a million teeth and always talking about eating brains, but all of that of course helps when you're 12. :)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

We should also clarify that we're talking about the original comicbook version of the character and definitely not the version from the 2007 movie which was a dorky putz with a disappointing design.

Edit: holy poo poo I just looked up some youtube videos to remind myself of that version and the video titled "Spiderman 3 All Venom scenes" is only 3 min 50 seconds long. Why even loving bother including the character. :v:

Sam Raimi REALLY loving didn't want to include him. At all.

MacheteZombie posted:

I always liked Vulture's old man look.

OG Vulture is also a stone cold badass. Despite the fact that he is roughly a million years old and constantly dying of old age and illness, his true super power isn't inventing different kinds of flight suits

It's pure and unbridled SPITE.

OG Vulture is a man propelled by hate so raw and true that no other can compete.

He was on his death bed, some young upstart steals his poo poo and goes around as THE NEW VULTURE, and through sheer outrage and malicious intent Vulture makes a total recovery, breaks out of prison while faking his death, makes an EVEN better suit, breaks the new idiot out of jail and gives him an even better suit, then fights him TO THE DEATH over the skies of New York City to prove to the world who the true Vulture was

AND he then kicks the poo poo out of Peter Parker while he's at it.

And not like through fancy flying tricks

By old man rage punching

He just gets into mid air brawls and then goes on his way

I'm half convinced that he doesn't flybecause of his suit, but because he's just so enraged by the concept of gravity that he defies it out of spite

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

That reminds me, his first stand alone storyline/series when they made him an anti-hero was even called Lethal Protector. It was about him killing folks who were trying to make a super soldier army out of bits of the symbiote (they made a video game loosely based on the second part of the story - Seperation Anxiety).

The other thing was this all took place on the west coast, which I assume was meant to become his permanent stomping grounds so they could do stories without Spider-Man always showing up.

Venom's design is awesome though because it was literally Spider-Man's costume at the time that the symbiote was imitating. So him going back to his classic colors after it left him made Venom immediately significant even if he wasn't a larger/angrier evil Spider-Man with a million teeth and always talking about eating brains, but all of that of course helps when you're 12. :)

That storyline is precisely one of the ones used for the film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want that edit but I don't have PMs.

If you and K haven't connected yet hit me up at

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 7, 2021

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m still sad we haven’t got a Bruce Campbell Mysterio.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Chameleon was a stylish dude.

Prowler is pretty good, although I'm as sucker for cloak-hood-white eyes characters (big Moon Knight fan here)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

By the way, here's the first official look at Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock

And here's the entire panel at Brazil Comic Con that had Venom's director as participant.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/11/venom-first-look-at-tom-hardy-as-eddie-brock-and-full-brazil-comic-con-panel-video-ign-first
I didn't know the Uncharted movie got Hardy as Nathan Drake

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It got Spider-Man, actually.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I'm not convinced that the Uncharted movie is actually happening.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mysterio is the best-looking Spiderman villain, not despite but because he looks like a dorky putz

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I Before E posted:

Mysterio is the best-looking Spiderman villain, not despite but because he looks like a dorky putz

Fishbowl Mysterio or bowlcut Quentin Beck?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lobok posted:

Fishbowl Mysterio or bowlcut Quentin Beck?

Fishbowl, obviously

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I know Tom Holland is supposed to be young Nathan Drake, but he seriously looks like a 16 year old. Maybe in another 15 years or so he will look like an actual adult.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Young Nathan Drake is such a dumb idea. You're only supposed to show Young Nathan Drake is supposed to be the cold open to the third part and then you do a spin-off tv show with some other kid.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
"Hey you know that popular video game series they've been wanting to make into a movie for ages?"

"Yeah?"

"Well I just wrote this hot new treatment---we're gonna take the main character back to before he did any of the cool poo poo you know him for in the video games and show him as a callow youth learning the ropes! It'll be his origin story!"

"Uh..."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What even is Nathan Drake's "character"?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He's another part that should have gone to Nathan Fillion?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

From what I understood, he's a grave robber merc who causes destruction of culture/peoples wherever he goes. But the games are pretty good from what I understand.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chris Pratt in Jurassic World but trade Raptor Whisperer for Grave Robber.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Nolan North.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Just speculation on my part, but Fox might go ahead with James Mangold's X-23 movie after they cancelled his Patty Hearst biopic (for unrelated reasons).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'll pass on "Zach Morris of graverobbing".

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

"Hey you know that popular video game series they've been wanting to make into a movie for ages?"

"Yeah?"

"Well I just wrote this hot new treatment---we're gonna take the main character back to before he did any of the cool poo poo you know him for in the video games and show him as a callow youth learning the ropes! It'll be his origin story!"

"Uh..."

This is actually the first two hours of Uncharted 4

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
"Well I just wrote this hot new treatment---you know the first two hours of Uncharted 4? Just remake it beat for beat and you've got a two hour movie! Even an idiot could do it---God I'm smart!"

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Give me Demon's Souls directed by Denis Villeneuve.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SleepCousinDeath posted:

E. Elias Merhige's Dark Souls

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
the feel and tenor of Dark Souls would be best captured in an adaption by McG :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snarky.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Tarsem Singh, you fools.