Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

joe944 posted:

I've been robbed at gunpoint, have you? Try experiencing things in real life before you judge others.

Oh ok that makes your completely idiotic response to an agitated unstable driver (who you provoked by driving like a dingus) acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nm posted:

OP escalated a bit, but I'll give him a pass once the dude gets out of the car. You are threatening him in self-defense to try to get him to back down, and going from 0 unto a lane at full speed is tough, particurly when some rear end in a top hat is trying to get into your car. Could he have done better? Absolutely, but whenbthat dude stops, gets out of his car, you're on lizard brain time.

Which is why you keep good distance and stop/slow down as far back from the guy as possible, to give you room to accelerate smoothly into traffic.

I've been in a similar situation before.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
I agree, which is why I'm only talking about actions after he stops.

Oto, that camera is durable as gently caress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nm posted:

Wait, wait, wait. The mazda red is an amazingly deep red that makes every car they put it on look better. You sir, are nuts.

Excuse me we aren't escalating confrontations in this thread today. :colbert:

(I just think the mazda3 would look better if it had a traditional "totes not ripping off ferrari" bright red)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

Excuse me we aren't escalating confrontations in this thread today. :colbert:

(I just think the mazda3 would look better if it had a traditional "totes not ripping off ferrari" bright red)

I'll loving kill you.

Edit: (mods, please look at last page for context).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
The question is how many push knives did he also have in his car?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nm posted:

I'll loving kill you.

Edit: (mods, please look at last page for context).

:lol:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I was trapped.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

nm posted:

I was trapped.

Congratulations. You’re dead (online).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_bL0EqlDEk

davebo posted:

Edited: Maybe I'm misremembering or thinking of another forum but I feel like we banned the other c-word a while back?
Uhhh, what's "the other c-word"?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The one nazis use.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

nm posted:

Oto, that camera is durable as gently caress.

But isn't that the whole point of those cameras? Small + durable.

Classic example of how hills cause you to lose steering control.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

The one nazis use.
Ok, I'm definitely missing something here.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

InitialDave posted:

The only thing I got is "chink", but I didn't see that anywhere? I'm scratching my head as well.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

joe944 posted:

I didn't escalate, I was trying to prevent an active attacker from having the upper hand, which he was able to take advantage of by stopping me on the freeway, as evidenced by the video.

Glad to know you would be an easy target for a criminal, or errant TSA agent, to take advantage of.

Yes you did, you dense motherfucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyVyKZLZQ6A&t=30s

You merged into the left lane and put your foot down to keep pace with him. If you just let him go at this point, you're probably fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Beach Bum posted:

The only thing I got is "chink", but I didn't see that anywhere? I'm scratching my head as well.
Yeah, and that's not really a Nazi thing, that's just a general disparaging term for Chinese.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

nm posted:

gently caress you for insulting mazdas though.

I own a Mazda, but it's a proper one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

joe944 posted:

So it has a retracting machine gun under the hood with a trigger on the shift knob so you can obliterate any fucker that cuts you off?

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

xzzy posted:

So it has a retracting machine gun under the hood with a trigger on the shift knob so you can obliterate any fucker that cuts you off?

Just a Miata with a turbo. That could be useful on the track, though. I'll have to keep it in mind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

joe944 posted:

*Distant thunder of RADL brigading the thread*

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Yes you did, you dense motherfucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyVyKZLZQ6A&t=30s

You merged into the left lane and put your foot down to keep pace with him. If you just let him go at this point, you're probably fine.

Name calling, nice. He followed me to the right lane and cut me off, I was just trying to gain control of the situation by not sitting behind him.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

joe944 posted:

Name calling, nice. He followed me to the right lane and cut me off, I was just trying to gain control of the situation by not sitting behind him.

The only time you have control as the car in front is when you're playing mario kart, and even then you're still vulnerable to blue shell

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can speak from experience working in security that at a certain point there is no de escalating a situation, and you're pretty much on your own until the cops get there which can take forever.

I wouldn't have tried to pass the guy, but if he still stopped in front of me like that and got out of his car I would have ran his rear end over out of fear of what he was planning on doing. Yelling I WILL KILL YOU is not over the top in that situation either because you have no idea what the intentions of that guy was, and you can't really show any kind of weakness at that point so I don't blame him for being loud and threatening because you absolutely cannot submit in that situation.

I would have never played the brake check game, but who knows what that guy was planning on doing, he stopped in the middle of a loving interstate so at that point I'm going to assume he's insane and has nothing to lose.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
And this is why American dash-cam videos suck.

90% of the time it's a situation like this one where the camera car could have completely avoided things by not playing the 'I'm a bigger moron than you' game.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^
That is 90% of dashcam videos in general.
The australian ones are the best because they're the best at curse words.

joe944 posted:

Well, now you're dead. You know, one they find their apex seals.

InitialDave posted:

"Cuck". I don't think it is banned, but using it unironically is worthy of a solid mocking.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

"Cuck". I don't think it is banned, but using it unironically is worthy of a solid mocking.
Well, ok, fail to see what that has to do with nazis, but at this point, eh, whatever.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MrOnBicycle posted:

Guy in BMW tried to change lanes as I was 1/3 next to him and passing. So his, of course natural, reaction is to go behind me and start rage flashing his high beam. He then pulls up beside me and I go "What?" With my hand. He proceeded to do the same but more aggressively. This isn't something that is at all common in my country / town, and the guy looked like the kind of psycho that would step out of the car and go up and shoot me at the next red light. Nice.

Lady yesterday in a small SUV almost did the same to me on a small 2 lane road leading to a T-intersection, where you can only go left or right. I was a couple car lengths behind her, she's in the right lane the whole time, and sorta swerves over to the left lane, then back right. I put on my signal and get in the left lane, and right as I'm next to her she decides to jerk her wheel over without loving looking and almost sideswipes my car. I get a blaring horn, then she rides my rear end to the intersection red light, gets out and comes to knock on my window and screams "ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?!?!"

I rolled down, looked at her point-blank: "Maybe if you were paying the gently caress attention, used a signal, and weren't watching your loving phone, you'd have seen me you stupid bitch."

She walked back to her car with a loud "gently caress YOU", followed through the light going left, then sped past me and started swerving over the line and brake checking like a psycho. Snapped a quick picture of her car, called 911, reported her vehicle and details, went about my way. Hope that bitch gets aggressive rear end cancer and has a stroke.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Well, ok, fail to see what that has to do with nazis, but at this point, eh, whatever.

American nazis love "cuck" and pepe.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
https://i.imgur.com/2XXnO2o.mp4

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I haven't seen such a blatant lack of awareness since about nine posts ago.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

joe944 posted:

I've been robbed at gunpoint, have you? Try experiencing things in real life before you judge others.

You sound like a baby back bitch. Go shred your license, sell your guns and cars.

Otherwise, I'd look forward to reading about you in the newspaper but print is dead and you'll likely be too.

~i am a gun haver~

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
So we're getting hammered by hours of heavy snow after a long period of freezing rain. Roads are poo poo.

Was just driving home from the store and got stuck behind a Dodge Ram that was going slow, even for conditions - I could have taken a leisurely walk and beat him to the next intersection. I nosed out to see what was going on ahead of him, and the driver proceeded to lose it and violently jerk the wheel, driving into a ditch.

This was about an hour ago. Just watched a tow truck show up to pull him out. I guess he sure showed me!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

joe944 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyVyKZLZQ6A

Well this happened last month. I merged in front of this guy earlier on the bridge and he went nuts.

Take this footage to the CHP and the TSA. And field it to the local news outlets for good measure.

Wasabi the J posted:

You sound like a baby back bitch. Go shred your license, sell your guns and cars.

Otherwise, I'd look forward to reading about you in the newspaper but print is dead and you'll likely be too.

~i am a gun haver~

Love seeing goons do the one thing they're best at doing: dogpiling on other goons.

With that said, it's never a good idea to escalate a road rage situation. Deescalation is the best policy, but some people are too far off the deep end of angry to take a hint.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Domestic Amuse posted:

With that said, it's never a good idea to escalate a road rage situation. Deescalation is the best policy, but some people are too far off the deep end of angry to take a hint.

Well at least to me it's clear that he tried to overtake the Mazda (and leave him behind) and not race him. The first thing he did when being forced to stop, was to back off to give himself room to leave the guy behind.
The Mazda guy might also have tried to force a stop if he just stayed behind him in the right lane.

Naturally a more passive approach might have worked better. Or the other guy might not have cooled down. Considering how he changed over 2 lanes there was still a bit of thought present to "punish" someone who already traveled in the (slow) right lane.

Random story from Germany: Recently someone did leave their car and banged on the roof of the car behind him (for some dumb traffic related reason). Guy getting his roof banged on drove off (and over the bangers feet). The Banger sued the other guy for injuring him. The judge ruled that the banger was 100% at fault for getting his feet driven over. Since his aggression caused the attacked person to de-escalate by leaving the scene.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Any person coming to a stop in the fast lane and blocking you behind is attempting murder-suicide IMO so any method is acceptable to get away from them. I don't think that other guy was going to let him go.

Personally though I probably would have gone into the center lane behind the toyote ute with canopy, then into the right lane where there's heaps of traffic when they may give up, or you have exits/other cars and not dealing with a loving stop in the fast lane which really is suicidal.
E: I've seen stuff in lovely USA dash cam vids where people brake check and carry on for miles endangering everyone on the road, when poo poo should be over and everyone should move on with just swearing and cursing, like the far superior aussie dash cam vids.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 13, 2018

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

FBS posted:

I haven't seen such a blatant lack of awareness since about nine posts ago.

:confused:

Are you suggesting someone made the exact same post I did?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Is cruise control seriously a good idea to fight road road rage? I never use it with other traffic because you never know when someone'll do something dumb, not to mention when some rager is loving with you.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

sleepy.eyes posted:

Is cruise control seriously a good idea to fight road road rage? I never use it with other traffic because you never know when someone'll do something dumb, not to mention when some rager is loving with you.

The cruise thing was a joke because its been a discussion in one of the other AI threads. :v:

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Around midnight last night I saw this lovely old Corolla flying up the highway (395N toward DC) with no lights on at all and it was loving terrifying. I was a few lanes over so I wasn't scared for myself but I could see other cars dodging him.

Is there anything you can do in that situation? Like i just honked as he passed me and flashed my lights a million times but he didn't do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sleepy.eyes posted:

Adaptive cruise control is wonderful on long haul trips, reducing cumulative stress on the driver, which I could see definitely helping reducing aggression on the road.

But the type of dickhead to chase people around on the road is usually the type of driver who either doesn't read the manual, or pride themselves on being such superior drivers that aids like that would hinder their abilities.