Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hashim posted:

I suppose if the Christians didn't adopt Gharbia as a name for the new world, they could've just gone with America, naming it after this English guy rather than the OTL Italian. Another alternative with a more Irish lean to it could be Brendania or some other derivation of 'Saint Brendan's Island', after this fabled island, named after early Irish monk/saint/traveller. Or maybe someone knows of a historical Irish explorer, and we could go with something related to that.

edit: Apparently Great Ireland is also a thing, also called Hibernia Major, Albania and White Men's Land.

You could name it Hy-Brasil after another mythical island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
The conversion is pretty much done, so I'll probably have the MotE prologue up tomorrow or the day after. Here's the final borders for the starting scenario:

Also, our starting commanders:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
East Frisia survived the whole loving way to the Napoleonic era? :psyduck:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'm the Swedish king living in exile in Gotland

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Cyrah ibn Cyrah ibn Cyrah

:stwoon:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
How long has Crusader Egypt been around? By the end of March of the Eagles, might as well just call it Egypt

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

A Jahan Jahan for a new generation.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Raserys posted:

How long has Crusader Egypt been around? By the end of March of the Eagles, might as well just call it Egypt

Narratively, everyone in the Near East probably just call it Egypt, but I've left it as 'Crusader Egypt' in-game for so long because there's also cores for a Muslim Egypt in both EU4 and V2.

edit; in the victoria 2 mod only absolute monarchy Egypt is called 'Crusader Egypt', everything else is just Egypt/Egyptian Republic/something along those lines.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 13, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I hear if you say Ibn one more time, he appears in your mirror and forms a perfect square formation.

Also Al-Basique :swoon:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm not too familiar with MotE, what's the triangle stat on the leaders? Illuminati rank?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm not too familiar with MotE, what's the triangle stat on the leaders? Illuminati rank?

The five symbols in order are: Manoeuvre, Offense, Defense, Traits, and Total tally. So the triangle would the number of traits each general has, they all start with none, but quickly start piling them up once the fighting starts.

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
ibn Cyrah, Cyrah, whatever will be will be...

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

By the way, I forgot to include a write-up for North Sea Kingdom in the epilogue, but they actually ended EU4 with the same dynasty that they ended CK2/started EU4 with. That means they're technically still descended from the Kings of Jerusalem!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Hashim posted:

By the way, I forgot to include a write-up for North Sea Kingdom in the epilogue, but they actually ended EU4 with the same dynasty that they ended CK2/started EU4 with. That means they're technically still descended from the Kings of Jerusalem!

amazing

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

Who even cares about Iberia anymore, this is the new star of this LP! The little Crusader Iceland that could!

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

Narratively, everyone in the Near East probably just call it Egypt, but I've left it as 'Crusader Egypt' in-game for so long because there's also cores for a Muslim Egypt in both EU4 and V2.

edit; in the victoria 2 mod only absolute monarchy Egypt is called 'Crusader Egypt', everything else is just Egypt/Egyptian Republic/something along those lines.

What about Fascist Egypt?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Can anyone give me a breakdown of which poster's they think these are supposed to be? I can guess a few, but I'm curious.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

paragon1 posted:

Can anyone give me a breakdown of which poster's they think these are supposed to be? I can guess a few, but I'm curious.

Most are just usernames translated to Arabic, so Qunas is arabic for Sniper (snipee), Shab al-Basique is literally The Basque Guy, Tariq al-Dhiibu is Tariq the Wolf (technowolf). Then there are usernames that are altered to just be more Arabic-sounding, so Farih is Frionnel, Cyrah is Lord Cyrahzax, and so on. We have more commanders that aren't in the screenshot, but I can't remember them all right now.

By the way, if anyone else wants to be represented in some way just say so, adding commanders is easy and the only reason I don't have more of them is because I wasn't in the mood to make up new names. Just come up with an Arabic name or translation and I'll probably add it in. Would be useful for victoria 2 leaders as well.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hashim posted:

Tariq al-Dhiibu is Tariq the Wolf (technowolf).

:unsmith:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If anyone can come up with a suitable Arabic version of my name I'd love to be in.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Obviously, Slaan matches Salaah Al-din pretty well :smug:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

wilyam 'andirsun

I don't know if there's a better way that isn't just transliteration

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
edit: put me as "Balanubus minqar al-bita"

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 13, 2018

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Hashim posted:

By the way, if anyone else wants to be represented in some way just say so.

Could you put me in as "Ka'baald Al-Shujae"?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Hashim posted:

By the way, if anyone else wants to be represented in some way just say so, adding commanders is easy and the only reason I don't have more of them is because I wasn't in the mood to make up new names. Just come up with an Arabic name or translation and I'll probably add it in. Would be useful for victoria 2 leaders as well.

Al-rusim khataan taht-Impy is loyal to the Ulema and to the Madhi.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AJ_Impy posted:

Al-rusim khataan taht-Impy is loyal to the Ulema and to the Madhi.

Same with Funas bin Funas al-Busam

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Count me in.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Yaqub Najam Alsabah will serve the Majils.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah I dunno how you're supposed to translate paragon1 into arabic but count me in.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

"Al'astifadat min al qutil" Will put his life on the line for his nation.

Crazycryodude posted:

If anyone can come up with a suitable Arabic version of my name I'd love to be in.

How bout "rajul majnun mujamad"?

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 13, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ikasuhito posted:

How bout "rajul majnun mujamad"?

Hella good

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I don't even know how I would do mine...

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Talas posted:

same aylmao

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Put me in Mathīd al-Kratiyya, and may I serve with all the glory of my appearance in that XCOM LP a while back (in which my namesake missed repeatedly, panicked, and then died).

I've never seen MotE so I'm interested to see al-Andalus stumble its way through a game.

Talas posted:

Slap an "al-" in front of your name, and throw in a random Arabic first name, and it sounds decent:
Saif al-Talas ? (which, by the way, would be read "at-Talas" since the L in al blends with a lot of following letters in Arabic)

mcclay posted:

same aylmao

Yours sounds super non-Arabic so transliteration comes out weird, but we can split it then drop a syllable in each and make you Mukhtar Khalil? Kh is a throaty noise rather than a hard English K, but with that allowance it's got all the right consonants.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 13, 2018

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Uthman al-Houd wants to have a word

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Kareem Marhabaan is at your service.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

If someone could figure out something for mine, I'd be grateful!

Kimo3
Mar 14, 2014

Hashim posted:

By the way, if anyone else wants to be represented in some way just say so, adding commanders is easy and the only reason I don't have more of them is because I wasn't in the mood to make up new names. Just come up with an Arabic name or translation and I'll probably add it in.

Can you put me in as Iskander ibn Ayyub

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've been trying to come up with something, but I am very limited in my knowledge of Arabic. Messing around with Google Translate eventually gave me malik alqatat, which assuming it works I guess would be Malik al-Qatat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

devildragon777 posted:

If someone could figure out something for mine, I'd be grateful!

Tanin al-Iblis?