Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

wyoming posted:

Snarky.

Tarsem Singh, you fools.

He's too busy not making the Journey movie.

I remember W. S. Anderson wanted to make a Monster Hunter movie after he's done with Resident Evil and I don't hate that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah someone seriously visual with horror. I'd say Del Toro but his color palette and style is too...storybook. Demon's/Dark Souls feels like it needs a grim unpretty sort of horror.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What even is Nathan Drake's "character"?

I'll tell you what it isn't: Indiana Jones. It's definitely distinct from that in a way that would hold up in court.

Lobok posted:

Chris Pratt in Jurassic World but trade Raptor Whisperer for Grave Robber.

Also this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gatts posted:

Yeah someone seriously visual with horror. I'd say Del Toro but his color palette and style is too...storybook. Demon's/Dark Souls feels like it needs a grim unpretty sort of horror.

John Boorman would be loving perfect but, alas....

Whoever you choose they need to be a "fever dream" director, if you catch my drift.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dario Argento's Demon Souls.

With soundtrack by Goblin.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

wyoming posted:

Tarsem Singh, you fools.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Del Toro can do Bloodborne. That has some dark humor and Lovecraftian horrors in it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jimbot posted:

Del Toro can do Bloodborne. That has some dark humor and Lovecraftian horrors in it.

I was reading on the internet that the game is a metaphor for period blood. confirm/deny?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Any Souls movie needs to immediately smash cut to credits right before the climax as an invader stabs the hero in the back.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Snowman_McK posted:

I'll tell you what it isn't: Indiana Jones. It's definitely distinct from that in a way that would hold up in court.
Eh beyond trying to find priceless artifacts there isn't really that much in comparison between Drake and Indy, though the series does ripoff a bunch of scenes or jokes about those movies (especially 4)

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Any Souls movie needs to immediately smash cut to credits right before the climax as an invader stabs the hero in the back.

That's lovely and wasteful compared to the opportunity to show someone realizing they just unwittingly agreed to self-immolation as it happens to them.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mother! is already a dark souls movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

hiddenriverninja posted:

I was reading on the internet that the game is a metaphor for period blood. confirm/deny?

Broadly yes. It's an extremely dense game with tons to unpack about how the story goes and with which side characters can end up in what situations. Very impressive because a lot of it is clearly intentional, but the way From's games go you can ignore a lot of that and it's still an incredibly tense action horror game.

RBA Starblade posted:

Any Souls movie needs to immediately smash cut to credits right before the climax as the hero trips on a rock and falls to their death.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A Dark Souls movie is getting shivved on the way to the theatre and your murderer going to go watch a movie with your ticket while you bleed out.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
also you summersaulted the entire way to the theater

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

also you summersaulted the entire way to the theater

Only to have three people slowly and brutally murder you and steal your wallet before you can enter the theater.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They already made a Dark Souls Movie, it’s called Kingsmen the golden circle.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

You mean 13th warrior.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 13, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What even is Nathan Drake's "character"?

A guy so obsessed with his and his brother's dream of finding lost treasures he constantly puts him and his friends in danger. UC 3 and 4 delve into those aspects of the character. Before that he's basically Indiana Jones/Brendan Frasier from the Mummy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Renoistic posted:

A guy so obsessed with his and his brother's dream of finding lost treasures he constantly puts him and his friends in danger. UC 3 and 4 delve into those aspects of the character. Before that he's basically Indiana Jones/Brendan Frasier from the Mummy.

And a heavy dose of Mal from Firefly.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Jodowarskys Dark Souls

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Jodowarskys Dark Souls

Now we're getting somewhere.

David Cronenberg's Bloodborne.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Did they announce they're making a Mario movie?

Will VG movies be the scourge of the 2020s like comic movies are for the 2010s?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Timby posted:

I'm pretty sure a WB executive came up with the idea that humans were being used as batteries in The Matrix (as originally written, humans were plugged into a massive neural network).

Doesn't the later make more sense?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

hiddenriverninja posted:

It's actually kind of interesting, in that it is a game where the horror is conveyed through... the mechanics of pregnancy in women, and yet isn't misogynistic (I say as a guy, tho, I'm sure there's been much said on it by more qualified peoples)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Electromax posted:

Did they announce they're making a Mario movie?

Will VG movies be the scourge of the 2020s like comic movies are for the 2010s?

They haven't officially announced it yet but Nintendo is close to a deal with Illumination and thinks it could be done by 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It kind of blows my mind there hasn't been animated Nintendo movies until now. It seems like such a no brainer.

Even odder is that Disney didn't buy the properties already.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

It kind of blows my mind there hasn't been animated Nintendo movies until now. It seems like such a no brainer.

There's been almost 20 animated Pokemon movies but it looks like most of them only got theatrical releases in Japan and were direct to DVD in most other countries.

But yeah, they're the exception. They've kept the rest of their franchises out of bounds.

There's been a ton of other films based on vidya games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hiddenriverninja posted:

Not quite, but partially.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Doesn't the later make more sense?

Ehhhh, maybe but given the Wachowskis' other output I'm not particularly inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's been almost 20 animated Pokemon movies but it looks like most of them only got theatrical releases in Japan and were direct to DVD in most other countries.

But yeah, they're the exception. They've kept the rest of their franchises out of bounds.

There's been a ton of other films based on vidya games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

OH duh, good point. But yeah I was mostly thinking Mario and Zelda in Pixar/Dreamworks style movies

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean there is a Dark Souls comic you could read

Berserk

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Guy A. Person posted:

Who would it appeal to? Do kids nowadays care about Mario and Link, or is Nintendo's fan-base mostly children-at-heart adults?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I shouldn't post about posting but lol we're on page 2 of video game movie chat and greenlighted has been talking about Black Panther for a page.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

anatomi posted:

Who would it appeal to? Do kids nowadays care about Mario and Link,

Yes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Stop discounting Nintendo for the love of christ

They may stumble here and there but drat do they know how to recover

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I wasn't discounting Nintendo, I was only curious about their current IP demographics. All the kids I know play games on their smartphones.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

anatomi posted:

Who would it appeal to? Do kids nowadays care about Mario and Link, or is Nintendo's fan-base mostly children-at-heart adults?

Even "Mario Kart" on its own is a thing beyond the games with lines of remote control car/track/figures/etc. merchandise. After the last Mario movie though I can totally understand why there would never be another attempt. To put it in perspective, they sold about 14 million Wii U's, that's their worst selling console, and that still puts it among the top twenty best selling game systems/handhelds ever of all time. Nintendo has all kinds of merchandise deals with various companies and clothing retailers and so on. Kids, parents, and children-at-heart-adults alike all know who Mario is.

Dark Souls is more of a thing that would appeal just to driven adults, and you can see that in how the more niche level stuff they make around it, overpriced art books and $160 board games and stuff.

On top of all that the most downloaded mobile game of 2017 wasn't Game of War...

https://www.destructoid.com/super-mario-run-is-android-s-most-downloaded-game-of-2017-475655.phtml

They make stupid huge amounts of money off their Fire Emblem mobile game too.

Burkion posted:

Stop discounting Nintendo for the love of christ

They may stumble here and there but drat do they know how to recover

For real, I'm not even a big Nintendo fan compared to most but like, they're obviously not going anywhere. But "Nintendo is doomed" and "RUMOR!!! Nintendo might be making....a new Mario game?!?! How can it be as good as the last one?" have been mainstays of game news since like 1991 and aren't going away and have always bounced back pretty fast anytime something they do isn't huge.

I remember Nintendo actually did announce they were going to be producing a range of animated films besides Pokémon (and not even necessarily of their properties, one was to be like a fantasy anthology based on a poetry collection or something?), but IIRC after The Spirits Within came out and tanked hard it was never mentioned again.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 13, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My favorite Nintendo character is THWOMP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gonz posted:

My favorite Nintendo character is THWOMP.

Same.