Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Which one was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

Which one was that?
i dunno ask rodrigo diaz

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

shame on an IGA posted:

The "Ask us about freemasonry" thread around the corner is cool and good and you should all read it.
there is no way to determine whether or not those people, who are probably decent human beings, are not themselves being lied to by their superiors

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

And for what it's worth, I've had an ex who was both a Crowley devotee( and thus into Baphomet) and a mason, and they said there was no beseechments to any entities but Adonai( understood as God of the old testament) and Gabriel in the rites.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahbulon

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

-

pidan fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 13, 2018

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

pidan posted:

Humanities on the other hand...

Hey! :argh:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GUNS posted:

there is no way to determine whether or not those people, who are probably decent human beings, are not themselves being lied to by their superiors

I've heard this said about the Catholic Church, too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i think the issue is that no one gives poo poo about freemasonry beyond getting drunk with a bunch of bougie dads and suing the dead kennedys

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I hope no masons will be offended if I say I view their institution the same way as I view the labour movement and the scouts: they are admirable institutions that the growing Church should strive to render unnecessary.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

whoa now

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what does this dude have against scouting

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Enderby posted:

I hope no masons will be offended if I say I view their institution the same way as I view the labour movement and the scouts: they are admirable institutions that the growing Church should strive to render unnecessary.

the end goal of distributism is apparently guilds so idk about making labour movements unnecessary, especially since catholic social teaching upholds that private ownership of the means of production is okay and that the solution to worker owner inequality is in having everyone own their own resources to generate wealth, which is... well, an interesting solution to say the least. guess everyone should start their own sports bars and grills

anyway idk if people here would be interested but i finished the new episode of my and 13 (十三)’s podcast and it’s available at this link; https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/smellsandbellspodcast/episodes/2018-01-12T21_53_23-08_00

it’s me essentially summarizing what info i’ve managed to research about takagi kenmyo and what i remember about romero from my education as well as some preliminary comparisons. no 13 this time. also no jokes which is weird cause i’m the one who wants to make jokes all the time like the podcast i like and whose format i stole

if anyone is still interested in doing a guest spot pm me or 13 or e-mail smellsandbellspodcast@gmail.com . we still need to figure out how to record both sets of audio but figuring out schedules and preparing people for questions might take some time. our podcast response has not been great since our lack of updates but hopefully two new episodes in as many weeks might help with that

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GUNS posted:

Allhierarchiesarelikethis.jpg

pidan posted:

sciences most people have an understanding of the limits of their method. Humanities on the other hand...

Please explain this to all physicists and engineers, I think they may have missed this particular memo when it came down the pipe.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The endurance to finish reading Zizek's entire body of work is only possible through divine intervention, I can buy that hypothesis.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

shame on an IGA posted:

The endurance to finish reading Zizek's entire body of work is only possible through divine intervention, I can buy that hypothesis.

Less divine intervention that infernal compulsion, I should think.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Allhierarchiesarelikethis.jpg

This just isn't true, not all hierarchies are "the same." Some hierarchies have more transparency than others. Some hierarchies are deliberately created to obfuscate and to occlude. When you consider that Metternich was having the mail read of everyone he could get a hold of, you can understand why some societies would want to be underground.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CountFosco posted:

This just isn't true, not all hierarchies are "the same." Some hierarchies have more transparency than others. Some hierarchies are deliberately created to obfuscate and to occlude. When you consider that Metternich was having the mail read of everyone he could get a hold of, you can understand why some societies would want to be underground.

Sure, but most hierarchies are specifically about funnelling more information "upward" that is part of the reason for hierarchies is because they allow for dissemination of info on a "need to know" basis. Sure some may not, but I would argue that most hierarchies are built and sustained by some level of obfuscation of responsibility and what people "really" know.

Not arguing in favour of the masons, but I just think that most hierarchies deserve to be questioned. At least once every couple of years, so that things can be improved.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Yes, that is no proof at all, and you're deliberately trying to twist an ambiguous claim into proof masons are devil-worshippers. You're capable of doing better than this, dude.

CountFosco posted:

You can't say that with certainty, because as a secret society, they deliberately made themselves obscure to outsiders. Although they claim to be transparent now, that transparency has to be placed within the context of centuries-old lack of transparency.

Further, the Orthodox church forbids freemasonry, and when clerics are freemasons, they seem to oddly correlate with more secular, ecumenical in the bad way (theosophical) positions. None of this is a "smoking gun" so to speak, but it does raise eyebrows, and is enough for me at least to steer clear.

As I said, I had an ex that was a mason, and if you know any masons at all, you'd know your suspicions are dumb. They're boring dad types who dress up and do rituals because they're bored.

That a strongly liberal secret guild makes their members hold more liberal religious positions shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Zizek's writings and movies, I find, are surprisingly sympathetic to Catholicism.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

As I said, I had an ex that was a mason, and if you know any masons at all, you'd know your suspicions are dumb. They're boring dad types who dress up and do rituals because they're bored.

My grandfather (whom I lived a 3-minute walk away from and saw every day of my childhood) was extremely into Masonry. He -never- mentioned Masonry or involved his sons in it, it was only after his death at the funeral I learned he was a high-level Mason and frequently traveled the US hanging out with other Masonic lodges in his capacity as a conservation extension representative. Basically, in his younger years (well before I was born) he did a lot of traveling to educate farmers as an official representative of our state land-grant university and hung out with the local Masonic chapters.

Masons, at least as I'm familiar with them, are essentially a goofy golf club of older white men that does a lot of philanthropy. It's self-deprecating adult Boy Scouts.

Are you a bored older man in rural America? Well, join the Masons! You can socialize, do vaguely religious ceremonial things, and drive tiny cars in parades while wearing a fez. https://www.google.com/search?q=shr...iAKzuMso_wcOlM:

edit: the overlap between Masons, Rotary, Kiwanis, and Lions' Club members is very high. It's a social group for old white men that does philanthropy and local development.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 13, 2018

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Tias posted:

That a strongly liberal secret guild makes their members hold more liberal religious positions shouldn't really surprise anyone.

I have an ex who is Jewish, but I don't use that to claim that I have a thorough knowledge of Jewish society and culture. And you say that they are a strongly liberal secret guild, but half of the time whenever I'm lurking on the freemason thread they're whining about how conservative their particular lodge is.

Look, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm not saying that they control x, y, and z. But institutions have ideologies, from the church to the scouts to the communist party. I find the ideology behind masonry a bit dubious, from the claims to antiquity to the use of Solomonic pillars.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

Zizek's writings and movies, I find, are surprisingly sympathetic to Catholicism.

I've heard him say things which I imagined only could come from the mouth of a Calvinist.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CountFosco posted:

I find the ideology behind masonry a bit dubious, from the claims to antiquity to the use of Solomonic pillars.

Sure, but I think you're vastly overestimating how much Masons care about the theology of the organization. First and foremost it's a social club.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Fair enough, but I care about the theology of the organization, even if they don't. Indeed, I find it strange that they don't care.

Tias
May 25, 2008

My issue isn't that I think I know everything about masons, clearly I don't, my issue is that you cast aspersions on their intentions which are primarily charity and self-improvement, because the idea of someone doing something in secret makes you uncomfortable :)

I agree that their claims to an antique lineage are bullshit though. It's play acting to impress the noobs, they are no more of ancient blood than the OTO or wiccans.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

CountFosco posted:

I've heard him say things which I imagined only could come from the mouth of a Calvinist.

Well I mean it's pretty wacky but I found the Fragile Absolute on the whole really nice.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Isn't there a section in Christian theology where the whole point is to do good things so that no-one else knows you have done them?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

Sure, but I think you're vastly overestimating how much Masons care about the theology of the organization. First and foremost it's a social club.

To go back to the scouting example at no point was I trained in colonial African warfare

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Yes, that is no proof at all, and you're deliberately trying to twist an ambiguous claim into proof masons are devil-worshippers. You're capable of doing better than this, dude.
You're right. If i wouldn't pull something like that in my scholarly work I shouldn't pull something like that in daily life. HOWEVER, here's the deal.

(1) I still don't know what they believe, and I'm not going to join an organization that might or might not completely disagree with my religion at levels of information that nobody's telling me about yet. You can't make an informed decision without information.

(2) My fiance is English and he hates them because apparently the police, judicial system, and some professions over there are full of Masons, who promote other Masons in secret and it's a problem for anyone who isn't one. He's also a staunch atheist so objection #2 isn't even about what they believe, don't believe, or might believe.

That's in the UK and Commonwealth though, I don't think this is as big of a deal in the US.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 13, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

the end goal of distributism is apparently guilds so idk about making labour movements unnecessary, especially since catholic social teaching upholds that private ownership of the means of production is okay and that the solution to worker owner inequality is in having everyone own their own resources to generate wealth, which is... well, an interesting solution to say the least. guess everyone should start their own sports bars and grills
Sports Bars And Guilds?

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

You're right. If i wouldn't pull something like that in my scholarly work I shouldn't pull something like that in daily life. HOWEVER, here's the deal.

(1) I still don't know what they believe, and I'm not going to join an organization that might or might not completely disagree with my religion at levels of information that nobody's telling me about yet. You can't make an informed decision without information.

(2) My fiance is English and he hates them because apparently the police, judicial system, and some professions over there are full of Masons, who promote other Masons in secret and it's a problem for anyone who isn't one. He's also a staunch atheist so objection #2 isn't even about what they believe, don't believe, or might believe.

That's in the UK and Commonwealth though, I don't think this is as big of a deal in the US.

Well, no one's forcing you to join them, and yeah they promote all their own people, but so do churches, tory drones, rotary clubs and fraternities :) I'm just telling you that the demon worship stories are complete nonsense. They're an old boys club with spiritual pretensions, that's all.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm not sure whether or not i'd give another Orthodox favorable treatment. If it was anything important i'd probably run it past someone else to make sure i wasn't being unethical.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

Sports Bars And Guilds?

I'm sold.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

i'm not sure whether or not i'd give another Orthodox favorable treatment. If it was anything important i'd probably run it past someone else to make sure i wasn't being unethical.

that's cause you're not a white man concerned with "cultural fit"

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Please explain this to all physicists and engineers, I think they may have missed this particular memo when it came down the pipe.

:mad:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tias posted:

Uhh Masons in the US are old conservative well-off white dudes who meet in secret and engage in blatant nepotism. Weird pagan stuff or not I don't think that's actually good.

Because it has led to poo poo like P2

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Uhh Masons in the US are old conservative well-off white dudes who meet in secret and engage in blatant nepotism. Weird pagan stuff or not I don't think that's actually good.

Because it has led to poo poo like P2
in tias's defense they were extremely liberal in the 18th century

edit: their beliefs are also weird, i stand by that

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 13, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm not defending Masons, in fact I think they're mostly a group of old white men huffing their own farts because they don't have anything better to do.

Mostly I object to conspiracy-theory ideas about how Masons are trying to take over the world or subvert <religion>.

It's a loving golf club with corny handshakes and rituals.

*flashes Mason ring, gives secret handshake* In the name of Baphomet, let's golf the back nine together? Loser buys a round of beers for watching the football game at the country club later!

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 13, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not defending Masons, in fact I think they're mostly a group of old white men huffing their own farts because they don't have anything better to do.

Mostly I object to conspiracy-theory ideas about how Masons are trying to take over the world or subvert <religion>.

It's a loving golf club with corny handshakes and rituals.

*flashes Mason ring, gives secret handshake* In the name of Baphomet, let's golf the back nine together? Loser buys a round of beers for watching the football game at the country club later!

maybe it's just that american masons aren't hardcore enough for british or italian masons

have you ever considered that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

maybe it's just that american masons aren't hardcore enough for british or italian masons

have you ever considered that

i mean it's more likely that masons in europe would have a longer history and therefore more people who have been in high places, and since nepotism is incredibly common among white men these masons "paid it forward" in putting other masons in positions of power. the italian one linked looks like an exception to the rule, as it seems explicitly designed to be a power broker intended to circumvent laws preventing that sort of power brokering. plus italy has a long history of corruption that can't really be ignored.

i don't know, the answer is either "there is a concentrated effort among freemasons to subvert the highest levels of government and civil society" or "a bunch of white dudes with power help other white dudes in power who remind them of them, going backwards throughout history." and generally speaking i think conspiracy takes more effort to perpetuate and keep secret than an old boy's club helping out some good old boys

• Locked thread