Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Blue Train posted:

Last year, Google ran an experiment with audio ads on Google Home devices, which made a lot of people upset. Now, a CNBC report claims that Amazon might do something similar on its Echo speaker lineup.

Amazon is currently in talks with brands like Procter & Gamble and Clorox for ads within specific skills, and for data-sharing agreements that’d let them dig through users’ shopping history, according to CNBC. It’s also talked with companies about sponsored placements in product searches on Echo devices, and about using customers’ purchase habits to suggest products they might like.

:hmbol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol at anyone who doesn't think that's been the endgame for these things from the beginning

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

"You are the dead," repeated the iron voice.

"It was behind the picture," breathed Julia.

"It was behind the picture," said the voice. "Remain exactly where you are. Make no movement until you are ordered."

It was starting, it was starting at last! They could do nothing except stand gazing into one another's eyes unthinkable to disobey the iron voice from the wall. There was a snap as though a catch had been turned back, and a crash of breaking glass. The picture had fallen to the floor uncovering the Echo behind it.

"McDonalds!"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

lol at anyone who doesn't think that's been the endgame for these things from the beginning

amazon has a game plan. when you say “Alexa, order some more laundry soap” it can respond with “okay, I got you some tide (tm) brand soap” and take their cut from the tide brand people to be the default selection, on top of being the store that sells the product to you. voice UI is just another front end to them.

google doesn’t have that. they can make marginal money by having you pay for music, but in general they’re doomed to try pushing ads into it and then watch the backlash happen.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Persil superiority

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

google doesn’t have that. they can make marginal money by having you pay for music, but in general they’re doomed to try pushing ads into it and then watch the backlash happen.
what google does have is they can sell procter & gamble the exact dates and times individual households saw or heard ads for tide and p&g can connect that to their feeds from amazon and credit card companies to map out actual behavior

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

amazon has a game plan. when you say “Alexa, order some more laundry soap” it can respond with “okay, I got you some tide (tm) brand soap” and take their cut from the tide brand people to be the default selection, on top of being the store that sells the product to you. voice UI is just another front end to them.

google home does do that but it buys and ships from walmart and/or target depending on how you set it up

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rickets posted:

My OnePlus X is still going strong 2 years past its manufacture date even though it has long been abandoned by OnePlus themselves. I would certainly buy another OnePlus phone if the price were right and I was in the market, but I also wouldn't leave the stock ROM in place so...really there's no easy choice.

isndl posted:

What's the best phone that doesn't have fast updates because you play a dumb mobile game that doesn't support new versions of Android immediately and you can't afford to miss out on those daily login bonuses? :downs:

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I was also a victim of the G4 bootloop, but the deal I got on the G5 was so goddamn good that I actually couldn't say no to going with LG again.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

LastInLine posted:

google home does do that but it buys and ships from walmart and/or target depending on how you set it up

has anyone ever legit ordered something via voice (on purpose)?

i can't imagine buying anything, even dish soap, without like a picture of it to make sure i'm buying the right thing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Plank Walker posted:

i can't imagine buying anything, even dish soap, without like a picture of it to make sure i'm buying the right thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTv0N_9M2vY

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
anroid lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Plank Walker posted:

like you i imagine it exists to fulfill amazon/google masturbation fantasies and no one has irl actually done it

on googles platform theres so much work involved in setting the whole thing up that i cannot imagine any normal person has ever gotten even halfway through the process. the only reason i did was because you got a google home mini for $5 if you went through the process to link to walmart and buy it but i did it all on a web browser and it was pretty tricky even there. the concept of an average person doing all that setup so they can get random brands of toilet paper using their voice is completely in the realm of fantasy theres no way anyone has ever done it on purpose

maybe amazon is different idk but it still seems ridiculous on its face

how do you even specify stuff like types within a brand or size? do i have to say "hey google buy 96 ounces of all free liquid washing detergent" every loving time? what if they changed their sizes to 100 ounces for a bit like they often do (5% free!)? what if they changed the name to all hypoallergenic? what if they dont have all but have tide in that size? is the brand more important or the size? theres no loving way they account for any of that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i have once or twice when amazon offered discounts on specific items on alexa only. i don't think i've ever done it otherwise.

LastInLine posted:

how do you even specify stuff like types within a brand or size? do i have to say "hey google buy 96 ounces of all free liquid washing detergent" every loving time? what if they changed their sizes to 100 ounces for a bit like they often do (5% free!)? what if they changed the name to all hypoallergenic? what if they dont have all but have tide in that size? is the brand more important or the size? theres no loving way they account for any of that
trying this:

"alexa order some laundry detergent"

asks if i want liquid or pods

"liquid"

she tells me the top result then asks if i'd like to buy

"no"

she sends a notification to my phone with more options

so basically it's faster to just use my phone anyway

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i have once or twice when amazon offered discounts on specific items on alexa only. i don't think i've ever done it otherwise.

trying this:

"alexa order some laundry detergent"

asks if i want liquid or pods

"liquid"

she tells me the top result then asks if i'd like to buy

"no"

she sends a notification to my phone with more options

thats almost exactly how i imagined it would work

"buy toilet paper"

"one ply generic toilet paper?"

"no"

"well then gently caress it you figure it out rear end in a top hat. do it on your computer or phone like you should have to begin with"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i add tubs of lube to my friends shopping carts via alexa

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

i add tubs of lube to my friends shopping carts via alexa

no dragon dildos? for shame

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

if I thought a voice interface megathread was worth the effort this would be its title

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

amazon has a game plan. when you say “Alexa, order some dinner" it can respond with “okay, I got you some tide (tm) brand laundry pods”

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the forbidden pod fruit

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

to the surprise of no one, oneplus phones continue to send all your data to china

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/11/oneplus-3t-beta-sent-clipboard-data-to-alibaba-controlled-servers/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

The only time Overclocking a phone was a useful thing in my experience was back in the PPC6700/HTC Apache days.

The xScale Intel chip it had was the same one in say the Dell Axim X50v, but instead of being clocked at 624mhz it was at 416mhz.

The little overclock allowed it to run 624mhz perfectly fine and ran some apps perfectly it couldn't at stock speed. (Hell we all know it was to play games on it back then. SNES Emulators were getting good on them with the X50v still being one of the first GPU powered PDA's that also hardware accelerated SNES Emulation graphics.)

When there is only 1 cpu doing all the work, any extra Mhz you could pull out of it was a noticeable improvement back then.

It was neat but since then, Overclocking could be done here and there on some slower devices, but even on the Nexus 6P where you could overclock the cores a bit (I think the small cores could be pushed to 1.7ghz from 1.5), overall the thermal protection stuff and the amount of heat these things make at full bore anyway really makes it pointless as they throttle very shortly after. The only place it might actually be useful would be an active cooled device like the Shield TV, Shield Portable, OUYA (hah, but it does have a fan and could probably use it. I know the Tegra 2 Overclocked like a champ in some tablets) and maybe these up and coming ARM powered Windows 10 laptops.

But with how things are muscling around with more cores than clock alone, it's rather pointless at least in the present on mobile.

However, who knows what the future holds?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

that guy is something else

i mean i know all of us myself included in dyp are "special" but some are just next level

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i remember looking at the ouya's fan before:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

code:
static int fan_gpio=0;
#define FAN_GPIO TEGRA_GPIO_PJ2
static void	OUYA_fan_control(long temp_tj)
{
#ifdef TEGRA_THERMAL_CREATE_LEDS
	int ret=0;
	if ( fan_gpio == 0 ) {
		ret = gpio_request(FAN_GPIO, "fan");
		if (ret < 0)
			gpio_free(FAN_GPIO);
		ret = gpio_direction_output(FAN_GPIO, 1);
		if (ret < 0)
			gpio_free(FAN_GPIO);
		fan_gpio=FAN_GPIO;
	}
#else
	fan_gpio=FAN_GPIO;
#endif		
	pr_debug("OUYA: Fan[%lu]:",(unsigned long)temp_tj);	
	if ( temp_tj > 60000) {
		gpio_set_value(FAN_GPIO, 1);
		pr_debug(" <Turn on>\n");	
	}
	if ( temp_tj < 45000) {
		gpio_set_value(FAN_GPIO, 0);
		pr_debug(" <Turn off>\n");			
	}

}
i think that was the limit of their kernel modifications as well, at least when i checked

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"Overclocking a phone was a useful thing"

lmao

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LastInLine posted:

that guy is something else

i mean i know all of us myself included in dyp are "special" but some are just next level
a sample of things that guy has committed to memory: which 2005 dell pocket pc first had gpu hardware acceleration for a SNES emulator

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i remember i had the very first POS asus eeepc which didnt even have an atom because those didn't exist yet, it was just an underclocked desktop celeron, and it was true you could get better performance while plugged into power by forcing it from 600 mhz to 900 if you were a huge loving nerd like i was, but doing that with a phone is just beyond the pale

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i haven’t overclocked anything since 2009

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i haven’t overclocked anything since 2009

same. the chip makers do it for you now

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Linguica posted:

i remember i had the very first POS asus eeepc which didnt even have an atom because those didn't exist yet, it was just an underclocked desktop celeron, and it was true you could get better performance while plugged into power by forcing it from 600 mhz to 900 if you were a huge loving nerd like i was, but doing that with a phone is just beyond the pale

i also had this it was cool as hell as a spotty adolescent with no money

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Anime and emulation. It’s always one of the two.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
where's the genius who thought telling yospos about their one plus phone was a good idea?

sure hope you didn't buy it straight from one plus

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

infernal machines posted:

where's the genius who thought telling yospos about their one plus phone was a good idea?

sure hope you didn't buy it straight from one plus

quote:

A FAQ from OnePlus says its e-commerce platform is built with "custom code"

o dear

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
android OS: built with “custom code”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

roll your own e-commerce like it's 1999

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

roll your own e-commerce like it's 1999

what's the alternative?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

license one of the hundreds of purpose built e-commerce platforms that are actively maintained by people whose sole product is an e-commerce platform?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what's the alternative?

cyber pigeons

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OldAlias posted:

cyber pigeons

never mind, it's this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Seems like they rolled their own payment solution inside Magneto, an e-commerce solution written in PHP that's well known for being exploitable.