Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

khy posted:

Awesome. Does it happen to have any form of 'range' function? Miles to empty type stuff? The fuel gauge is pretty much the clincher for me, but the other would be nice. My car doesn't have the computer option so this seems like the most economical way to get that feature.

It does, but it's not very accurate. For it to work, you have to use it every single time you drive, and make sure your vehicle profile is setup properly.

You're better off just figuring out your average MPG, resetting your trip odometer every time you fill up, and filling up when you think you have less than 50 miles left (based on your worst MPG). Or just fill up when you have 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank left. It's not great for your fuel pump to run it low on every tank anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Or just fill up when you have 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank left. It's not great for your fuel pump to run it low on every tank anyway.

We’re looking at you, late-eighties to early-two thousands General Motors products.

:raise:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It's not great for your fuel pump to run it low on every tank anyway.

Could you elaborate on this? I've got a 2012 Mazda3 and according to the owner's manual it should have a 14 gallon tank, but if I drive it until the warning light comes on I can usually only put 12 gallons in. I've wondered for the longest time if the tank is small or if the volume was listed wrong. Now I'm wondering if Mazda turns the light on early to improve the life/performance of the fuel pump.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

khy posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I've got a 2012 Mazda3 and according to the owner's manual it should have a 14 gallon tank, but if I drive it until the warning light comes on I can usually only put 12 gallons in. I've wondered for the longest time if the tank is small or if the volume was listed wrong. Now I'm wondering if Mazda turns the light on early to improve the life/performance of the fuel pump.

Usually when the light comes on there's still a pretty substantial reserve of fuel left.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
You can only fill to about 85% capacity, anyway, to account for vapors, etc. Or does the volume listed in the manual account for that?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

epic bird guy posted:

Usually when the light comes on there's still a pretty substantial reserve of fuel left.

Yup, typically around 2 gallons left, or more if you're talking about a larger tank in a thirstier vehicle. I've run my CRV down past 0mi left a few times and still never come within 1 gallon of the capacity.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Did they tell you what went wrong? Or are they just doing the "we don't support this poo poo anymore" bit?

I did google the error, which is apparently an issue on the DC side, but not usually the inverter. But yeah, something that expensive, I'd probably have opted for the same (lower savings to basically insure it).

Guy clearly was a 1st level help desk support type who was just reading whatever was on his screen, so no, they didn't tell me squat. I Googled it to, so we both know about the same!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

khy posted:

Awesome. Does it happen to have any form of 'range' function? Miles to empty type stuff? The fuel gauge is pretty much the clincher for me, but the other would be nice. My car doesn't have the computer option so this seems like the most economical way to get that feature.

My last daily driver was a base level Aygo which comes with a speedo, a clock and a tiny 4 bar fuel gauge. I had a Scangauge permanently plugged in and mounted on the centre dash above the radio.
It gave useful values like RPM and temperature and would also do the instantaneous and long term MPG (and it was fairly accurate as I record all fuel fillups in an app).
Being permanently plugged in it would automatically turn on and off with the ignition just like a proper gauge.

It would also do 'distance to empty' but i stopped using it pretty quickly as you have to tell it everytime you fill up so that it can work which gets annoying very quickly.

You can cycle though loads of things on the scangauge and set it to display 4 things by default. I had it on RPM, Water temp, instantaneous and long term MPG most of the time, and then used to just reset the standard car trip counter everytime I filled it. Then if you watch the MPG readings you soon get used to your range such that distance to empty isn't really required.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

khy posted:

My owner's manual (2006 Saturn Ion) claims the low fuel warning comes on with 3 gallons remaining. It has a 13 gallon tank. Up until I got a new fuel pump, it would take about 10 gallons if I filled up right when the warning came on (since then it's more like 11 gallons).

If they waited until you were truly almost empty, it'd be an "out of fuel" light, now wouldn't it? :v:

The pump also relies on being partially submerged in fuel for cooling; if you're driving around on fumes all the time, the pump will be running hotter.

MrYenko posted:

We’re looking at you, late-eighties to early-two thousands General Motors products.

:raise:

You leave my car out of this. :mad:

This... is the only car I've ever had to replace a fuel pump on. Though it was replaced because the plastic barbs that connect to the lines cracked. I don't get why GM made those out of plastic. :sigh:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

This... is the only car I've ever had to replace a fuel pump on. Though it was replaced because the plastic barbs that connect to the lines cracked. I don't get why GM made those out of plastic. :sigh:

Same reason Alfa put plastic water pumps in their cars $$$

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If they waited until you were truly almost empty, it'd be an "out of fuel" light, now wouldn't it? :v:

On my dad's old work vans, you had around 20km left when the light came on.

Yeah.

On the other hand, they had overhead switches (above the mirror) for the electric windows, which was pretty rad.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

On my dad's old work vans, you had around 20km left when the light came on.

Yeah.

On the other hand, they had overhead switches (above the mirror) for the electric windows, which was pretty rad.

In my pick-up, there's around 38 liters left when the light comes on. I'm sure if i pushed it i could get 400km out of it.

I've put $50 in just to bring it back up to 1/4 of a tank.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Both our old work vehicles had low fuel lights that wouldn’t come on till the gauge already read empty and no miles to empty computer, which wasn’t particularly confidence inducing. Of course only had a <350 mile range, so I always tried to ringing every last mile out of a tank.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
In my e34 when you get to 1/4 it's the roll of the dice what it will read every time you turn the ignition on or turn a corner. It can't read anything between 0 and 1/4, it's one or the other.
Last sunday where I went for fuel only had 91 or 98 (I need 95), so gently caress it, only putting in $20 of 98, not filling it up with that extra cost. Of course $20 of 98 is only 1/4 tank, can run out of fuel any time, which I did today after a 2km drive :v:
Tues is showed empty (after going nearly nowhere), wed it showed 1/4 tank. Thurs it showed empty, friday it showed almost 1/4 tank. This morning showing empty, but during a short trip showed almost 1/4 tank and I didn't think I has used $20 fuel up in ~50km so I didn't believe the fully empty on reserve light

E: I did do lots of short trips and stop starts which makes the trip computer useless at predicting range. Also I walked home and found 1L of fuel and walked back trying to get it to start. No dice. Apparently it can run on nothing, but needs 3L to start.
No loving idea how that works as I started it at home and drove 2km and didn't use 3L driving that. Why does it need 3L to start now?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 13, 2018

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I had a Peugeot 104 once where the fuel gauge would just go straight to empty once it fell under 3/4, basically. Solved by 1) using the odo and 2) always keeping a 5L can of petrol in the back, cause 5L got you almost 100km in the little cockroach. God I loved that car.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Goddamnit, the one time a package shipper decides that they must have Fedex verify that I home and of course they show up when I'm not home.
WTF, just leave the package on the doorstep like every other shipper out there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fo3 posted:

In my e34 when you get to 1/4 it's the roll of the dice what it will read every time you turn the ignition on or turn a corner. It can't read anything between 0 and 1/4, it's one or the other.
Last sunday where I went for fuel only had 91 or 98 (I need 95), so gently caress it, only putting in $20 of 98, not filling it up with that extra cost. Of course $20 of 98 is only 1/4 tank, can run out of fuel any time, which I did today after a 2km drive :v:
Tues is showed empty (after going nearly nowhere), wed it showed 1/4 tank. Thurs it showed empty, friday it showed almost 1/4 tank. This morning showing empty, but during a short trip showed almost 1/4 tank and I didn't think I has used $20 fuel up in ~50km so I didn't believe the fully empty on reserve light

I found out one day that the gauge in my 96 Civic would no longer go all the way to empty.

You can guess how I learned that lesson. It would stop at 1/4 of a tank, even if it was sucking fumes. This happened out of the blue on a car I'd owned a couple of years, so it was a bit of a surprise.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

QuarkMartial posted:

You can only fill to about 85% capacity, anyway, to account for vapors, etc. Or does the volume listed in the manual account for that?

You're thinking of LPG/CNG, not a gasoline, which is a liquid at room temperature/pressure. You can fill containers full with gasoline, it condenses back after evaporation within normal temperature ranges.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Had a pretty good and chill cars & coffee hang out session this morning.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Just got back from mine and the missus' snowboarding trip in Denver, and I'm ready to be super boring for the next 3 months!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I came home a few months back to find my neighbour waiting for me to get back home to see if I could give him a hand with his truck. Cos it had died on the side of the road about 15km from town. And when I say truck, I mean a 3yr old quad steer freightliner with a 550hp Detroit diesel in it and a big dual axle flat deck trailer on the back. A real truck.

Thing was showing 3/4 on the gauge, but was dry on the fuel system filters. Open the passenger side fuel tank- dry. Open the drivers side, 3/4 full and under a vacuum...

Turns out that the tanks have a link tube between em and the fuel sender is in the drivers side tank but the pick up is on the passenger side, and the breather for the drivers tank blocked with road grime. So the engine merrily sucked the fuel tank dry while the gauge said nothing because fuel couldn’t flow across between tanks with the blocked breather.

That was a poo poo of a job to get it running again too- it’s got a pre filter on it that’s about 4L in capacity and tiny little manual primer pump. We ended up having to pull a tank bash plate off, pull the drain bung out and use the only container we had- a pringles tin, to move fuel to fill the pre filter assembly before we could get the main filters and the common rail pump to prime up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Any of you guys ever break a rib? I took a good kick at taekwondo Thursday night - totally stupid move on my part. We enforce light contact but I moved closer to the guy throwing the kick to try to cut him off completely, misjudged and all I did was get myself closer so the "light" contact became "full" contact and took pretty much a full turning kick to the ribs. Whoops.

Anyhow, when i took it I had to take a short time out walk it off for a sec before I could continue sparring but I did finish the night alright (with only another couple other disasters unrelated to that :saddowns: ). Came home and was a little sore, but nothing terrible. After I took a shower and went to bed, the my ribs became pretty drat sore and tender to a push. Could hardly sleep because of it and can pretty much only take shallow breaths. A deep breath smarts and if I have to sneeze it really smarts. Getting up from laying down, to be blunt, loving sucks and gives me a pretty sharp pain.

I just chalked it up to a really deep bruise on my rib cage yesterday because I wasn't in instant searing pain when I took it, which I would have thought if I fractured a bone I would be. But then I was thinking maybe since I was all warmed up and stretched out during class, it just didn't bother me as much until my muscles started to tense back up a bit. Sound possible? Speaking of, the bruise has not shown up yet so from looking at my chest/ribs it "looks" OK at this point, but I've taken good hits in the past that take 2-3 days for the bruise to start coming to the surface.

I'm still leaning towards a deep bruise, but man I have to admit it smarts pretty good... more than I would have thought.

So I guess I'm asking if anyone has broken a rib before, was it an instantaneous "oh poo poo" and you knew it was broken right there or was it sort of like my symptoms? I'd feel like an idiot getting xrays for what will end up being a good bruise.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You'd be surprised how little it takes to break a rib. Just go get an XRay.

I broke a rib by prying a rear sway bar out of a car towards myself. The obvious happened. I let it sit a couple of days before giving up and going to an Urgent Care. Yeah, fractured. Mostly told to limit my movement and to come back in if regular breathing got difficult.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Even if they can't spot the fracture, with your symptoms they're going to tell you it's probably got a hairline and lay off the contact sports for some months.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

slidebite posted:

Anyhow, when i took it I had to take a short time out walk it off for a sec before I could continue sparring but I did finish the night alright (with only another couple other disasters unrelated to that :saddowns: ). Came home and was a little sore, but nothing terrible. After I took a shower and went to bed, the my ribs became pretty drat sore and tender to a push. Could hardly sleep because of it and can pretty much only take shallow breaths. A deep breath smarts and if I have to sneeze it really smarts. Getting up from laying down, to be blunt, loving sucks and gives me a pretty sharp pain.

I've busted a couple and they felt pretty much exactly like you've described.

Cracked one climbing a tree and apart from the small pain when it happened, it didn't hurt until later that evening and felt like a torn muscle.

First one was confirmed by an x-ray, second by a ultrasound.

In both cases, the remedy was to take a couple of ibuprofen and take it easy until it stopped hurting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You guys are supposed to tell me its fine and to not be a pussy you jerks :mad:

Actually I called the government run call-a-nurse system (to try and keep people out of the emerg) and gave her my symptoms and answered her slew of questions. She doesn't think I do, but says if the symptoms aren't improving by Monday to go to my doctor. She's also recommending a cold compress, even though it's been 2 days tonight and brace my side with a pillow and force myself to breathe deeply at least a few times an hour.

So... yeah, if I'm not improving by Monday I'll try and get in to see my doctor about getting an x-ray.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Don't worry too much about it.
Chances are that you'll have pain for a few days and then it will rapidly subside to just hurting when you twist your torso.

I'd say that in terms of pain/recovery time, it is similar to a severe ankle sprain

Take the strongest painkillers you can and hopefully you'll be able to sleep.

However, do not, repeat not, allow someone to jump onto your chest 'for fun' during this time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL jump onto my chest. I've got a mental picture of me trying to sleep and Mrs. Slidebite decides to jump up and down on my chest.

Thanks guys.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Just finished this weeks episode of The Grand Tour.
I haven’t genuinely laughed that hard in a very long time.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Go get it checked. I brushed whatever I did off as a deep bruise and it just got worse. Better to know and treat accordingly than just hope it goes away.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slidebite posted:

Any of you guys ever break a rib? I took a good kick at taekwondo Thursday night - totally stupid move on my part. We enforce light contact but I moved closer to the guy throwing the kick to try to cut him off completely, misjudged and all I did was get myself closer so the "light" contact became "full" contact and took pretty much a full turning kick to the ribs. Whoops.

I just chalked it up to a really deep bruise on my rib cage yesterday because I wasn't in instant searing pain when I took it, which I would have thought if I fractured a bone I would be. But then I was thinking maybe since I was all warmed up and stretched out during class, it just didn't bother me as much until my muscles started to tense back up a bit. Sound possible? Speaking of, the bruise has not shown up yet so from looking at my chest/ribs it "looks" OK at this point, but I've taken good hits in the past that take 2-3 days for the bruise to start coming to the surface.

I'm still leaning towards a deep bruise, but man I have to admit it smarts pretty good... more than I would have thought.

So I guess I'm asking if anyone has broken a rib before, was it an instantaneous "oh poo poo" and you knew it was broken right there or was it sort of like my symptoms? I'd feel like an idiot getting xrays for what will end up being a good bruise.

Thats not a deep bruise - I broke ribs pretty much the same way, the same "Yeah no problem" to "Oh poo poo this huuuurts" later. Unnnnnfortuantly given its ribs, as long as they arent piecing anything there's not a lot that can be done in this case - rest, painkillers, no hard physical activity for a while. Get them X-Rayed anyway, it's better to know and deal with what they find.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You're a Canuck, use that loving healthcare. :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nooo, don't you remember we have death panels and since I'm now over 40 they'll just pretty much ask me to choose a casket :(

Unless I start feeling better by Monday I'll probably see if I can get into my family physician for an xray. I'm not going to wait in an emerg over this since I'm not spewing blood out of my mouth and like everyone has said there isn't a lot to be done other than pain management and keep the moving to a minimum.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Ooooof, a truly broken rib hurts like some heart attack poo poo. I broke my 3, 4, and 5 on my left/back side back in 2005. Hit a wall with my back going about 15mph when I was a drunk idiot kid and literally thought I was having a heart attack the next day. I've had some jackass-level injuries including a tailbone fracture, a couple concussive head injuries, and multiple finger fractures, but goddamn, that was the one that hurt the most.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ve broken both wrists twice, once st the same time falling off a scooter, both ankles, also once at the same time but unrelated from the wrist incident, broken thumb, left big toe is chopped off for the first quarter of it from a 4 ton I beam rolling over on it, broken tailbone from jumping off a counter and landing on the hand rest of a chair

Uhh I think that’s it

Once I was longboarding to class to take a test and hit a curb at 30mph because someone walked in front of me in the street for some dumbass reason and now I was late to my exam so I used the board as a crutch, that was fun. It was for a human dissection lab exam tho so the prof saw the state of me and determined my ankle was broken and lent me her phone to get a ride to the hospital since mine was now destroyed

I play computer games now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my groomsmen's wives broker her shoulder slipping on some ice today. Poor girl is miserable and can't properly hold her baby girl.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
If you guys have Prime and haven't seen any Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams, you should watch the first 2 eps. It's p solid scifi with a really good cast/episode ratio.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It came from PYF.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632393&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=93#post479834765

The kid on the guitar is awesome, the younger one screaming through a tube is hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFd2Mi2FTzs

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Went for a deep tissue massage today and opted for cupping as well and it was.....interesting. I've got giant hickies all over my back and shoulders now and it feels like sunburn. My wife freaked when she saw it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I broke a rib once too, but not very interesting.

Check out this guy with his mobile sound system. He plays drums when stuck at traffic lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn6nsobguzk

• Locked thread