Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Galarox posted:

Ok well for the shop I just posted I tried Sandi and Oldparp as BA Baracus and it didn't quite work - so I was casting about for something that would. About 3 hours in by this point and then it occured to me that the good Doctor would be perfect for BA (I pity the fool rear end-clowns. It just worked (for me) I never really have a clear idea of where I am going when I begin, it just evolves. I supose that could be called organic, I dunno. There is no rhyme or reason. For me some things just work and others don't. I just try and navigate to the gold, and my first principle is "What is funny?"

The reason I ask is that I know a lot of artists use a bit of a formulaic approach but their work tends to reflect that. Yours is more inspirational and the creativity of your work goes against the grain of a wash, rinse, repeat cycle. Your talent for subtlety is amazing.

e:

DapperDon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZYh3hBwjls

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Abuminable posted:

That's like asking Siegfried and Roy how to they made their cats disappear and reappear :)

Well, the answer to that is known.

Have one of the tigers bite you, then they all disappear.

Then reappear years later at wildlife benefits and a farewell show.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

DapperDon posted:

The reason I ask is that I know a lot of artists use a bit of a formulaic approach but their work tends to reflect that. Yours is more inspirational and the creativity of your work goes against the grain of a wash, rinse, repeat cycle. Your talent for subtlety is amazing.

Now ask AdzAdama

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Abuminable posted:

Just bullshitting... you know that!! :)

Of course I do friendo.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Golli posted:

Now ask AdzAdama

I don't think I can. There is a razors edge between Genius and Insanity. And I find it is best not interrupt the balance currently in play shall we?

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Golli posted:

Well, the answer to that is known.

Have one of the tigers bite you, then they all disappear.

Then reappear years later at wildlife benefits and a farewell show.

Such a shame that happened. Though, even if it hadn't, I'm not sure how long they would have kept going: Sieg will be 79 this year.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Golli posted:

Now ask AdzAdama

You remember when the Nazis opened the Ark? Some things are better left unknown.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That is a great shop :five:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Galarox posted:

with thanks to Bofast and thanks to the others who responded, but Bofast's was perfect imo.

Wow! Amazing!!! :five:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Just back from the park this morning.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Galarox posted:

with thanks to Bofast and thanks to the others who responded, but Bofast's was perfect imo.

Glorious. Derek with the tat makes it.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So when is the next sale happening? Every time I think they've exhausted the well of things they could scribble up a concept of and sell, they always surprise me with something stupider and more impractical than ever before, and with a price tag in the hundreds

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Jason Sextro posted:

You remember when the Nazis opened the Ark? Some things are better left unknown.

Opening the Ark should have been harmless, since its purpose is being a radio to speak to God. Unfortunately, the Ark was tuned to the Unleash Fire, Death & Demons channel instead of God's channel.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

:kimchi: those are some excellent doggos my friend.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Wow! Amazing!!! :five:

Thanks! Still working on my special Titanic shop... about 4 hours in now and having real trouble making it work, but I'll get there. Hint: it is based upon the D450, one of my fave shitposts that you did.:v:

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

DapperDon posted:

It's sad that parks are no longer safe spaces for pups. :lol:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

hot balls man no homo posted:

So when is the next sale happening? Every time I think they've exhausted the well of things they could scribble up a concept of and sell, they always surprise me with something stupider and more impractical than ever before, and with a price tag in the hundreds

I'm predicting boats for the next sale. And a $400 spaceship that can also function as a boat. Which also carries a boat in it's cargo bay.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Saddest Robot posted:

I'm predicting boats for the next sale. And a $400 spaceship that can also function as a boat. Which also carries a boat in it's cargo bay.

Isn't this literally cowboy bebop

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

G0RF posted:

Yeah the Second Life comment was the biggest reveal in a largely non-substantive discussion with a shrinking, slouching former Lego Game reskinner upon whose shoulders rests all the hopes of the biggest consumer funded gaming project in history.

It made me sit up straight to hear it, even as it makes him slouch to say it.
not only piece of new info.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217905283?t=49m07s female characters still MIA
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217905283?t=37m38s combat balance is dictated by streamers
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217905283?t=34m51s accidental slip talking about how rescue costs 500€ instead of UEC.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217905283?t=27m26s and finally talking about date driven model. features will come hopefully, but it wont happen every time.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

Additional boat sold seperately. For $45.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
The boats punch above their weight.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Combat Theory posted:

[Performance problems] are symptoms of an antiquated engine...

I don't know, any game can be slow if you code it poorly. The engine isn't going to stop you from using inefficient algorithms or neglecting optimization. It's guaranteed that SC has basically no optimization at all, as the application is just a crude front for a funding vehicle. They even spin this as a positive, implying that the performance is bad because of "fidelity". You can cut the performance of an application by any amount just by adding one unnecessary computation. Some things they're definitely screwing up:

No mesh or texture budgets for any assets (a 1% complete alpha that already what, a 30GB download?). They show no recognition that simple graphics are necessary for an MMO.

Lazy, or no, LOD implementation. The ships have at least two LODS, but I don't know if the million-poly commandos do. At least, they didn't when they were doing their 50 player load tests a few months back (4 FPS just looking at a crowd of distant commandos, 40 fps looking away).

No graphics options (lol). I wonder if there is at least a config file that you can tinker with.

Lazy, or no draw culling. If a commando is walking around in a distant ship, and the ship has windows, how do you know if you should render the commando or not? Does this client have to animate his mesh skin, or just the bones, or nothing? What about if a ship is parked in Levski, and you're not sure if it should be visible from your location, hovering outside? What if a ship is hovering behind a building, but that building has visible gaps in it? Sounds hard; just draw this stuff all the time. To be fair, they are doing some kind of tree culling for ship parts and rooms, but it's broken (Doors, ramps, and hallways sometimes flicker or disappear inappropriately). Their insistence on having objects nested within objects within objects within objects dynamically attached to other objects makes this a tough problem.

Monolithic, general-purpose shaders that are probably 95% needless calculations, most of the time (eg. the shader is computing outputs from maps that are just flat white). Why make a variety of specialized shaders when you can use a few big slow ones?

Flying physics using a plethora of forces and counter-forces that could have been simplified to a few thrusts and torques while achieving the exact same (or better) feel.

Computing physics and collisions for other ships and players when the server could just tell you were they are (the server just disagrees with you, anyway, which is why debris jitters so much, or hoverbikes spaz out if you're not the rider). Computing anything at all when these players and ships are not visible to you.

Receiving RPC noise from the server all the time. If you hear the shopkeeper speaking from across the galaxy, what other garbage information are you latently receiving? Given that players are reporting data consumption of over 200KB/s (a guy on spectrum was mad because he's on a fixed data plan) in the PU, I would guess, all of it.

All the Crysis games look fine and can be made to run smooth on the minimum hardware.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Edit:

The idiot has doubled down.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 13, 2018

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

quote:

They should play the ball, not the player.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/i-have-been-cursed-as-a-ball-disappointed

Reminds me of this classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmplXP5FvzY

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 13, 2018

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chiwie posted:

If there's any rule to SC, they always double down.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

I thought this was 2 cattes initially... took me a moment or two to realise one was a fluffy toy :lol:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Latin Pheonix posted:

Galarox posted:

Chrislito's way was requested, here it is. You can see that Oldparp and Ortwin are trying to intimidate the jury while Crobbles handwaves:

quote:

"You can't handle the truth! Son we're making a game that needs an engine and that engine needs to be able to support an MMO; who's gonna do it? You? You, Developer Lesnick?!?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom, you weep over an engine switch and curse land sales, you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know; That an engine switch, while tragic, probably saved time, and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, makes money.

You don't want the truth because in places you don't talk about in Crytek, you want me in that studio, you need me in that studio. We use words like 'Fidelity', 'Networking' and 'FPS', we use these words as the backbone of a life spent trying to make a functional game, you use them as a punchline!

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a company that made a cut-rate contract with me and then questions whether or not I abused that agreement. I would rather you just said 'thank you' and went back to cryptocurrencies, otherwise I suggest you pick up a laptop and start coding, either way I don't give a drat what damages you think you're entitled to!"

"Did you switch engines?"

"I did the job the backers asked-"

"Did you switch engines?!?"

"You're goddamn right I did!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_frM44bBMfA&t=190s

E: With thanks to Michaellanimeous in Discord!

so good :discourse:

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Chiwie posted:

Edit:

It's unfortunate that doxxing is a mortal sin. This guy needs to be unmasked so he can't hide anonymously in his mom's basement anymore. You can call me the worst of names all day and it doesn't matter. It's not nice, but with enough time and enough gin, I'll get over it. However, lampooning someone's disabilities is so morally depraved, it should immediately disqualify someone from the freedoms shared in civil discourse.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Abuminable posted:

It's unfortunate that doxxing is a mortal sin. This guy needs to be unmasked so he can't hide anonymously in his mom's basement anymore. You can call me the worst of names all day and it doesn't matter. It's not nice, but with enough time and enough gin, I'll get over it. However, lampooning someone's disabilities is so morally depraved, it should immediately disqualify someone from the freedoms shared in civil discourse.

Forget it Jake, it's Star Citizen.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Galarox really does need some sort of special mention in the OP. I don't think I've ever seen someone put this much effort into keeping this thread worth reading. And in very memorable ways too, Crobelix will always be with me lol.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

Forget it Jake, it's Star Citizen.

That's for sure. These guys will never get their due. Lord Thumbus could fix it in an instant by threatening peoples' accounts if they post antisocial crap. But, the poo poo flows from the top.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Galarox posted:

I love it when a scam comes together.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hey Erin, here's a pro tip. You cant have SC be the next second life because you're stuck with paradigms that are decades old when you started working on the game. Next gen second life would be VRChat with a way to monetize it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

I love it when a scam comes together.

I ain't getting on a non-existing ship, foo

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

CrazyLoon posted:

Galarox really does need some sort of special mention in the OP. I don't think I've ever seen someone put this much effort into keeping this thread worth reading. And in very memorable ways too, Crobelix will always be with me lol.

Just for you Crazy :dance: :glomp:

Galarox fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 14, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That was really nice of Chris to verify that the Limited Edition Porsche is his and that he's had it for over a year.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That was really nice of Chris to verify that the Limited Edition Porsche is his and that he's had it for over a year.

Am I missing something? That looks like a ford mondeo or similar to me...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Galarox posted:

Am I missing something? That looks like a ford mondeo or similar to me...

The parking space next to the door is labeled "Chris" and I believe that's the spot where we've seen the Porsche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Galarox posted:

Great stuff, as always.

My 2 cent pledge:
"... was sent to prison for a game they hadn't coded "