Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Cingulate posted:

Yeah, that's a weird omission. Firefly's nod to Chinese ascendancy felt very good to me, and now there's been a Chinese captain and ship for an episode of Star Trek or two. But on the Indian/Indian subcontinent side of things - we essentially have Khan (who was played by a Mexican and by a Brit), and that's it, right? Anything else from that quarter of humanity?

There were a couple. I think one of the chief engineers in TNG season 1 was Indian.

Not sure about the characters, but the actors who played Bashir's dad and the first security chief in STD are Indian, or at least of Indian descent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Not sure about the characters, but the actors who played Bashir's dad and the first security chief in STD are Indian, or at least of Indian descent.

Bashir's dad's actor was of Iraqi descent.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

I meant several centuries of a combination of much easier of movement of people (not just travel, but emigrating), a post-national era, and the general removal/actively working against prejudice that we see in the Trek humanity. It'd be many millenia before everyone kinda turned into a generic brown look, but I think you'd see a huge proportion of the population having ambiguous multi-ethnic appearances within a few centuries.

Nessus posted:

re: the first, you'd probably make for more people who you could consider multi-ethnic, but I don't think people would necessarily become a single homogenized mass even in a couple of hundred years. A couple thousand, maybe, but I think you'd start seeing new divides. You also certainly wouldn't see everyone 'averaging out to light brown' or whatever.
Even then, I am not sure. Maybe you'd have new ethnicities coming up on planets. Maybe cheap body modification technology would override it all.
The thing is, we have a similar development with language, and nobody excepts all languages to converge into an average language. That's not how it works. Now for languages, I see why not, but I'm not sure about genes. It's a question for which there is a mathematical answer, and I'm not sure what it is.

Sure, it would be surprising to find a perfect maintenance of the current ethnic and lineage make-up. There's little reason to that. But the alternatives might be all kinds of things, and with a starting point of even the roughest of culture-gene correlations, and even a tiny bit of assortative mating going on, it will probably not be "a homogenous brown", but simply new lineages.

Nessus posted:

As for Firefly I'm not sure you can count the show as having Asian ascendancy demonstrated when there was like one Asian actor in it. That would be like claiming Star Trek is afro-futurism.
Oh sure, but it had Chinese signs everywhere and the characters speak Chinese. To me it said, "'the Chinese' are super influential, but 'the genetically Chinese people' are currently not here for whatever reason".

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

There were a couple. I think one of the chief engineers in TNG season 1 was Indian.

So a suspicious void.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cingulate posted:

So a suspicious void.

It's an optimistic future for all of humanity we didn't melt in WW3.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

MikeJF posted:

Well, that's what I get for not double-checking first.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Far Beyond the Stars is great because it portrays O'Brien as the character he should have been all along, instead of the battle hardened Hero of Setlik III guy with the history of of like 800 separate battle engagements that I never bought into.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Epicurius posted:

I think it's largely a post 9/11 thing., where the narrative became "There are enemies all around, and you can't trust anybody, and the heroes will have to Do What Is Necessary, no matter the cost."
And Babylon 5 is good because it also saw that coming and said "That way lies the path to totalitarianism and war crimes, and it must be opposed".

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

McSpanky posted:

The only problem with "In The Pale Moonlight" is that there's no followup after our heroes have won the war and secured the peace where Sisko makes the real hard choice by turning himself in for his crimes and facing justice. Even if -- and that's a big, big 'if' -- dark, unpleasant actions are necessary in the short term, that should never be an excuse for circumventing either the moral or legal mechanisms of responsibility altogether.

In other words, the worst crime of all is denial. That's why Sisko deleting his personal log confessional is the ominous note the episode ends on. The only way he can live with his unconscionable actions is to pretend they didn't happen. And the only way to right those wrongs is to make sure, eventually, in the fullness of truth and justice, that they did.

I completely disagree with all of this. Turning himself in to "do what's right" is dumb as hell. The moral and legal mechanisms for responsibility isn't really worth anything when the consequences of taking this personal responsibility would be war with the Romulans.

Also Sisko isn't deleting the log because he can't live with it (he explicitly can live with it), but because removing as much evidence as possible is the only sane thing to do after you've conned an empire into joining your war and literally saving the alpha quadrant

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Itzena posted:

And Babylon 5 is good because it also saw that coming and said "That way lies the path to totalitarianism and war crimes, and it must be opposed".

DS9, too. Home Front and Paradise Lost are an allegory about 9/11 and the dangers of slipping into a paranoid authoritarian state as a result... made years before 9/11 happened.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Cingulate posted:

Sure, it would be surprising to find a perfect maintenance of the current ethnic and lineage make-up. There's little reason to that. But the alternatives might be all kinds of things, and with a starting point of even the roughest of culture-gene correlations, and even a tiny bit of assortative mating going on, it will probably not be "a homogenous brown", but simply new lineages.

Trek has a lot of colony worlds founded by specific groups - the planet of the Irish people (shudder), or the planet of the Scottish people (double shudder), or the American Indian colonists. Which kind of makes sense - given Earth's a post-scarcity paradise, people leaving to set up their own communities are likely to do so for ideological or cultural reasons more than economic ones. So you could have a situation where Earth's population is extremely mixed race, but the majority of human colonies are much less diverse, and so existing ethnic groups continue to exist in isolated populations on other worlds.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

socialsecurity posted:

This remains the only episode of Star Trek I've never seen because I don't think it will ever live up to what I've been imagining from these descriptions.

It was a completely unexpected and unknown episode to me. It's Threshold-tier levels of what the gently caress for me.
There is one scene in there where Crusher is just writhing around in a chair orgasming from whoever-the-gently caress knows. It's as every bit as :stonk: as you'd imagine

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CubanMissile posted:

Far Beyond the Stars is great

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CubanMissile posted:

The Visitor still makes me cry after all these years. Every time I see it I spend the rest of the night thinking about my father that passed. The carousel projector episode of Mad Men always does that to me as well because my parents were divorced when I was very young and my father was the very picture of a man who wished he could spend the rest of his life in a bubble of a home movie of his family at the beach.
I made the mistake of watching that episode a couple of weeks ago right around the anniversary of my father's death. That was not smart.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Visitor and Far Beyond the Stars are some of the best TV ever made.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Grand Fromage posted:

The Visitor and Far Beyond the Stars are some of the best TV ever made.

watching far beyond the stars should be in curriculums tbh

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

The background/bible of the show actually stated that there was a founders effect racial divide; the two first planets colonised were Londinium by the western ships and Sihnon by the Chinese ships, and the areas of the rim the show took place were colonised out of Londinium.

What the hell would lead to a colonizing vessel named Londinium? And is Sihnon from Sino- for Chinese? These really seem pulled out of a hat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Those were the planets. They were naming their new capitals.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MikeJF posted:

This is one of those "You're both right" things. Brian George's father was born in Iraq and then moved to India, where he met and married George'a mother, who, I think, was also of Iraqi descent . After Israel was founded, they moved to Jerusalem , where George was born, and then to London and then to Toronto.

So he's Iraqi-Indian-Israeli-British-Canadian.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CubanMissile posted:

Far Beyond the Stars is great because it portrays O'Brien as the character he should have been all along, instead of the battle hardened Hero of Setlik III guy with the history of of like 800 separate battle engagements that I never bought into.

O'Brian should have been Isaac Asimov?

One of the fun things about the episode was how each of the characters at the magazine were a one on one match for actual science fiction writers and the whole episode was based loosely on a true story.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Those were the planets. They were naming their new capitals.

I was saying, what would lead to those names for the colonies? I don't know what we'd name new colonies, but it would probably be something modernly lame, like the name of a politician or religious figure, or just "new Earth" or "Hope" or "Pax" or something stupid and symbolic.

Idk if I found out a ship was going off to found Londinium light-years away, I'd be like finally, the LARPers are in exodus.

Personally, I'd call a new Earth colony "Terragain"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Who knows. They spent hundreds of years on a spaceship getting there and developed a britain-boner on the way.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The only show they bothered to bring on the colony ships was Coronation Street.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I was saying, what would lead to those names for the colonies? I don't know what we'd name new colonies, but it would probably be something modernly lame, like the name of a politician or religious figure, or just "new Earth" or "Hope" or "Pax" or something stupid and symbolic.

Nah it would be crowd-sourced and people would vote for it to be named colony mccolonyface

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Cingulate posted:

Oh sure, but it had Chinese signs everywhere and the characters speak Chinese. To me it said, "'the Chinese' are super influential, but 'the genetically Chinese people' are currently not here for whatever reason".

So a suspicious void.

Which is downright bizarre because pretty much every other ethnicity outfucks white people.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

I was saying, what would lead to those names for the colonies? I don't know what we'd name new colonies, but it would probably be something modernly lame, like the name of a politician or religious figure

How do you know it wasn't? Maybe Hank Londinium was the leader who saw the world through the Thallium Crisis of 2109 and ended up with his face on the money and about a billion cities named after him. (If you'd never heard of Abraham Lincoln, it would strike you as just as odd that the USA has so many things named after an obscure little town in Lincolnshire.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Firebert posted:

Nah it would be crowd-sourced and people would vote for it to be named colony mccolonyface

Would love to see a sci-fi where the name of literally anything is decided by global poll, including the planet itself and all founded colonies and ships. What a shitshow.

Powered Descent posted:

How do you know it wasn't? Maybe Hank Londinium was the leader who saw the world through the Thallium Crisis of 2109 and ended up with his face on the money and about a billion cities named after him. (If you'd never heard of Abraham Lincoln, it would strike you as just as odd that the USA has so many things named after an obscure little town in Lincolnshire.)

Well, poo poo! Can't really argue against that!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Which is downright bizarre because pretty much every other ethnicity outfucks white people.

The Irish would like a word.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Well, not the Chinese :v:

And that one is very strongly about socioeconomics. Once people go above subsistence, they stop having kids. The arab world is barely above replacement levels now!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Bohemian Nights posted:

I completely disagree with all of this. Turning himself in to "do what's right" is dumb as hell. The moral and legal mechanisms for responsibility isn't really worth anything when the consequences of taking this personal responsibility would be war with the Romulans.

Also Sisko isn't deleting the log because he can't live with it (he explicitly can live with it), but because removing as much evidence as possible is the only sane thing to do after you've conned an empire into joining your war and literally saving the alpha quadrant

Yeah, I can't really see anyone making that decision when literally every race Sisko deals with on a daily basis would have easily made the same one a thousand times over. The Romulans certainly wouldn't balk at a little espionage. No way you can send people on suicide missions and then spend your days being guilty about a dead senator you didn't kill who's part of an empire that is going to get absorbed or destroyed the moment the Dominion wins.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

Would love to see a sci-fi where the name of literally anything is decided by global poll, including the planet itself and all founded colonies and ships. What a shitshow.

Larry Niven has a bunch of goofy names in the Known Space universe like Crashlanding City, the capital of the colony We Made It.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've said it before, but startrek "show, don't tell"'s the fact that pretty much everyone outside of the USA died in the post-atomic horrors, then americans recolonized the world. "Oh yeah my great great great great grandfather was from former India" great, you're being sent to re-populate india despite being culturally 100% american for generations. Picard has an english accent because there just weren't enough actual french to repopulate france and english was "close enough", I mean that's european right? Anyone who spoke a non-english first language or had any sort of accent became a rare and protected class during the reconstruction and there simply weren't enough of them to restart most annihilated earth cultures.

Notice we don't even see many of earth's great cities? We see SF and Paris and that's it, never a mention of New York or Tokyo or Bejing or Berlin. They're gone.

Where are characters from? Once again, never a great world city, always somewhere rural like Nebraska or Alaska, places that wouldn't have been primary targets in a nuclear war.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I can't remember, do Picard's family on Earth have a British accent?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Worf is from Minsk.

Sorry, Neo-Minsk IV.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

remusclaw posted:

I can't remember, do Picard's family on Earth have a British accent?

Yeah they do, his brother, his brother's wife, their son, all english.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Notice we don't even see many of earth's great cities? We see SF and Paris and that's it, never a mention of New York or Tokyo or Bejing or Berlin. They're gone.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Tokyo_Base

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That doesn't even specify that it's on Earth.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Worf is from Minsk.

Sorry, Neo-Minsk IV.

I want to see the version of Rochelle Rochelle where she gets Worf at the end

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Harry Kim was from South Carolina for some reason. Sulu was from San Fran. So even the Asian characters are usually Americans.

Hoshi was apparently from Kyoto, Japan, even though Linda Park is Korean. So maybe Korea finally conquered Japan in WWIII.

Have any of the "American" characters been from a major city that isn't on the coast? Like Chicago or Vegas? I assume places all got nuked.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why did Hoshi HAVE to be japanese? Why not just make her korean? Why did Keko have to be Japanese?

On Stargate Atlantis they had a call for a russian scientist, a czech got the role so they made the actual character czech too since he could speak it and really other than being some sort of accented slav it didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I want to see the version of Rochelle Rochelle where she gets Worf at the end

Rochelle, Rochelle: Qup be'Hom Huj, erotic lutebjaj vo' Milan Minsk yIHegh!