Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
The NA preview release is being pushed back from the 4th to the 11th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I love destiny, but I wish it was run by anyone else. Between date fuckery, having no idea when the next set is coming out, and flip flopping on draft errata rulings I'm getting irritated. On top of that they refuse to post rulings from emails somewhere and just continue responding only by email.

They have a good thing going here and seem to be intent on continually loving it up.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

siggy2021 posted:

I love destiny, but I wish it was run by anyone else. Between date fuckery, having no idea when the next set is coming out, and flip flopping on draft errata rulings I'm getting irritated. On top of that they refuse to post rulings from emails somewhere and just continue responding only by email.

They have a good thing going here and seem to be intent on continually loving it up.

everyFFGgame.txt

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Also the lack of FFG cash prizes at high level events for a ccg seems silly. It's not like this isn't one of their best sellers.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

frgildan posted:

Also the lack of FFG cash prizes at high level events for a ccg seems silly. It's not like this isn't one of their best sellers.

Or just some kind of in-store support for regular events. Quarterly kits is a bad way of doing things on multiple levels.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ffg is not a cash prizes type of company

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Ffg is not a cash prizes type of company

I get that but the fact is the prize support for Destiny is the same for competitive lcgs. A game I pay 90 to 130 dollars a year to stay competitive in like thrones and a game I pay ten times as much to like Destiny having the same prize support is nuts.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So between this and the Wangs is X-Wing the healthier game? I don’t see Armada talked about at all so I’m assuming that’s a very niche game now

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Yea x-wing has a larger and more stable player base. Though x-wing had six years to build that player base. Destiny has had just over a year now. Armada has a pretty small but dedicated group of players. I also feel design hampered Armada. For a game about big ship combat I felt the small fighters you chose to deploy decieded the game more then your big ships.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

frgildan posted:

For a game about big ship combat I felt the small fighters you chose to deploy decieded the game more then your big ships.

Well, that sounds pretty in keeping with Star Wars.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So between this and the Wangs is X-Wing the healthier game? I don’t see Armada talked about at all so I’m assuming that’s a very niche game now

Destiny has been pretty dead here all month but that's due to holidays and the Legacies delay more than anything I'm guessing. Armada of all things has been having a (slight) resurgence locally. Armada stuff doesn't have its own thread either, it's stuck in the FFG star wars thread with the approximately zero people that still play the LCG.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Destiny has been pretty strong here with drafting. If it weren't for draft, I think it would have slowed down as everyone is waiting for legacies.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Draft was really big here for like a week three days until everyone decided they’d rather wait for a new set to continue drafting. All of the stores were doing 2-2-2 pack distribution and redrafting rares & legendaries as prizes, and that lost a lot of people’s interest I think.

Splitting the draft packs that way didn’t exactly make for a strong and compelling limited format as those sets weren’t really designed with draft in mind, and redrafting for prizes loses a lot of its appeal when everyone there has virtually everything they want from those sets already. The time it takes to get a dozen people to sort out their cards, pool them, redraft etc. is also non-negligible when it’s tacked on to a 3+ hour event on a weeknight.

I dunno, I really enjoy drafting in other games and I’m eager to try it again with legacies release but right now it’s kinda expensive for a format I don’t get much out of personally.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

In the UK we have the opposite problem. We have legacies boxes, but no Rivals packs.

Lots of players are just cracking packs and I know that when draft comes around they won't have the money to take part.

Coming from MTG, the lack of a solid release schedule is maddening. I might not know what the winter 2018 MTG set is going to be called or about, but I could tell you the prerelease and release date months in advance.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

A rock solid release date is one of the advantages of having your product printed domesticly.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I just wish they'd announce a goddamn release date (ditto for Rivals). We're supposedly getting quite a bit of product next Thursday, but no has a clue when it'll be legal for tournament play. Our regionals are coming up in like a month and I don't particularly want to play more R2P2, but gently caress if that's what it's going to take I'd like to know anyhow.

On top of that, we just learned that none of the Q1 kits will be in until the end of February, so all the random little weekly tournaments are just giving like store credit for the next 7-8 weeks. This apparently goes for all FFG games that get quarterly prize kits.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

So did everyone's store get product? I'm about 7 cards off from a playset.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Hauki posted:

I just wish they'd announce a goddamn release date (ditto for Rivals). We're supposedly getting quite a bit of product next Thursday, but no has a clue when it'll be legal for tournament play. Our regionals are coming up in like a month and I don't particularly want to play more R2P2, but gently caress if that's what it's going to take I'd like to know anyhow.

On top of that, we just learned that none of the Q1 kits will be in until the end of February, so all the random little weekly tournaments are just giving like store credit for the next 7-8 weeks. This apparently goes for all FFG games that get quarterly prize kits.

Give FFG's strained relationship with release dates I'm shocked we're four sets in with just a year or so down. But yeah really frustrating. Even my sales rep was having a chuckle when I was confused by ordering a "release event" kit for a product I'd just put on the shelf.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Legacies is out? Anyone playing?

I don't live anywheres near a place to play anymore so I stopped when EaW came out :( .

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I got to play one sealed event, the other got postponed due to weather. We'll probably do some drafts too. At the end of the month we're doing a Trilogy tourney. I'm very excited about doing trilogy stuff. Cutting down the card pool is great and losing all of the staple cards we've had for over a year makes deck building interesting again.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Empress Brosephine posted:

So Legacies is out? Anyone playing?

Legacies is out, though it appears to not be the full shipment as some places have far less than others and say they are getting more soon. I haven't had my cards arrive yet, but I really don't need them since my FLGS is going to be doing draft over the next couple of weeks.

Thus far it seems that everyone wants 2 Yoda. If you get one, you can basically name your price to anyone who wants to attend a regional and wasn't lucky to pull him from a pack.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

KO Derf posted:

Legacies is out, though it appears to not be the full shipment as some places have far less than others and say they are getting more soon. I haven't had my cards arrive yet, but I really don't need them since my FLGS is going to be doing draft over the next couple of weeks.

Thus far it seems that everyone wants 2 Yoda. If you get one, you can basically name your price to anyone who wants to attend a regional and wasn't lucky to pull him from a pack.

Yeah I've got one Yoda and no Force Speeds and I'm pretty much just telling everyone who makes me an offer to throw a pair of Force Speeds in and I'll consider it.

So far nobody has, but I'd really have to think about that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Part of me wants to buy a box to try and flip then, drat.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Devlan Mud posted:

Yeah I've got one Yoda and no Force Speeds and I'm pretty much just telling everyone who makes me an offer to throw a pair of Force Speeds in and I'll consider it.

So far nobody has, but I'd really have to think about that.

two force speeds are already worth 20 dollars more than Yoda is worth so yeah they would pretty much have to be idiots to do this.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Part of me wants to buy a box to try and flip then, drat.

I've been thinking about breaking down boxes/cases to flip and it would definitely be profitable, but you probably need to sell common/uncommon sets and a bunch of cheaper cards and it could definitely take a while to make your money back/profit.

Also if you only buy one or two boxes and brick badly on legendaries (the titles especially) you're going to lose money.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 14, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Haven't had a chance to play with paper legacies yet at all, but a lot of my friends seem pretty hot on it so far. Been on the road for a while and finally back home from work travel for like, 36 hours and really hoping I can scrape together enough people for a draft or two in that window since I missed all the initial fervor.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I bought the two player starter and a couple boosters. I am fully ready to devote my soul and wallet to this game. This game and X-Wing, I guess. But Star Wars, in general. Yeah.

edit: how the hell do you store all these dice

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

overdesigned posted:

edit: how the hell do you store all these dice

Most people I know use big disorganized Tupperware containers hah.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I got a giant "photo storage case" from Michaels or hobby lobby or something. It was about $25 with a coupon and holds... 528? dice split between 16 smaller boxes depending on how you pack them. They all slot into a bigger plastic suitcase kind of thing.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I played in a sealed tournament last night at my FLGS. That's 8 packs + a Rivals box. In my 8 packs, I managed to open the following:

Kylo Ren's Starfighter
Force Wave
Tarkin
Yoda

... and then after my 3-0 win, proceeded to open Obi-Wan's Lightsaber from a prize pack. poo poo was bonkers, and everyone hated me. Especially since the Lightsaber is the only one of the bunch that I needed to finish a play set.

Really enjoying deck-building with Legacies. Lots of crazy new stuff I'm considering. Anyone see the 7th Sister OTK combo deck that's making rounds? Local guy played it a week or two ago and it was hilarious to see go-off.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Hauki posted:

I got a giant "photo storage case" from Michaels or hobby lobby or something. It was about $25 with a coupon and holds... 528? dice split between 16 smaller boxes depending on how you pack them. They all slot into a bigger plastic suitcase kind of thing.

Yea this is what I use but the issue is legacies won't fit now. To be fair it holding a full playset of Awakenings,Spirit of Rebellion,Empire at War,Rivals and two player starter is still pretty impressive.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 18, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ugh, well I finally got around to buying two boxes tonight and they're literally card for card duplicates of each other. I mean, I got 2 Yoda so that's cool, but now I have 4 copies of like a dozen mostly lovely rares and 0 of the vast majority in the set. The gently caress is with that distribution, really. I thought I was tripping until I laid all the poo poo out side by side.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 19, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Merauder posted:

Anyone see the 7th Sister OTK combo deck that's making rounds? Local guy played it a week or two ago and it was hilarious to see go-off.

whats the build and hows it work

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

banned from Starbucks posted:

whats the build and hows it work

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/16730/rainbow7sotk6-0galacticqualifierday2-1.0

Full write up is there on the site, but the short version is ideally by round 2 you're setup to activate Seventh Sister 3-5 times through the use of Feint, Price of Failure, or Leadership, and using things like Boundless Ambition or Cheat to draw and/or recur those cards. You never resolve the ID-9 Droids until you're done re-activating SS, then once you've got 5 or 6 droids in play, in addition to resolving any other dice along the way, you resolve them all for presumably a poo poo ton of damage (using a single big X Focus side to fix them all to melee). I was dealt 20+ damage in one turn by the deck when I played against it, but was 4-wide on characters and managed to survive it, barely.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I got into this game a couple weeks ago and I love it. I picked up two 2 player starter sets, a Boba starter, and a box of EaW. Also like, a lot of Legacy. I picked up two Auto Cannons and I had the idea to make a Boba/V Stormtrooper/V Stormtrooper deck themed around indirect damage. I'm using B'omarr Monastery right now to mixed success. I have Lookout Post and Locked & Loaded, are there any other cards that synergize well with indirect damage?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Somberbrero posted:

I got into this game a couple weeks ago and I love it. I picked up two 2 player starter sets, a Boba starter, and a box of EaW. Also like, a lot of Legacy. I picked up two Auto Cannons and I had the idea to make a Boba/V Stormtrooper/V Stormtrooper deck themed around indirect damage. I'm using B'omarr Monastery right now to mixed success. I have Lookout Post and Locked & Loaded, are there any other cards that synergize well with indirect damage?

Hey, welcome to the game. It can be a ton of fun. First and foremost, if you haven't come across it yet already, check out https://www.swdestinydb.com for deck building, list sharing, discussion, and collection management.

Something you might run into with Boba/VS/VS is the wide range of damage types on your character dice, which across the three of them have all three types of damage (melee, ranged, and indirect). Damage is damage, but needing to take multiple actions to resolve different symbols instead of being able to lump them all into one action can A) mean you're going a lot slower and unlikely to be claiming the battlefield & having action priority in subsequent rounds (and also can be an issue if you're playing Lookout Post), and B) opens up more opportunities for opposing removal of your dice.

What you might consider instead is to run Boba elite (16 points and you get two of his dice instead of just one), and pair with two First Order Stormtroopers instead of the Vetrans. You still have 3 characters, just a few total health less, but are getting 4 character dice instead of 3, and you're doubling down on your strongest dice (Boba's). You then also are much more focused in on direct ranged damage instead of adding the indirect side into the mix. It probably isn't significantly different and might just come down to taste or preference, but something to consider.

If you're set on going the indirect route with Lookout Post and such, here's some cards I'd consider:
> Fragmentation Grenades are super cheap and have high damage potential, but only once. Probably better in a deck that has some Focus sides so you can more likely fix it to max damage, but might be worth trying. I'm still on the fence about them overall, unless you're running a faster deck with which to recur them from your discard pile via Starship Graveyard. But who knows, with Lookout Post they might be big value.
> Cover Team is a support that can give +1 to an indirect damage side. Since you'd only have 1/6 chance on both Troopers to hit their indirect it might be tough to get value out of it until you get an Autocannon out. Though with the aforementioned Locked & Loaded you might be okay.
> Target Intel will let you finish off a specific character using one of your indirect sides as ranged once they have someone within 1 or 2 HP from death.
> Sudden Impact could be good to turn your Lookout Posts into surprise damage if you don't have something to pair it with due to bad rolls or removal.
> A single copy of Scorched Earth as a late game surprise burst can be awesome (or 2 copies if you think you'll be able to afford everything, which brings me to...)
> Some kind of resource generation will be important here to get lots of stuff going, be it upgrades or expensive events or supports, etc. Chance Cube is often my go-to, but again without any kind of easy dice fixing it's a little questionable. Could pair it with Imperial Discipline which is cheap and can be versatile for either making money or damage happen. But since Veterans don't have a natural resource side, you run the risk of having them never help with money unless you draw the cubes.
> I'd consider an upgrade or two with some big damage sides to pair with Boba's special. Seems like Rocket Launcher might be a great fit in a list like this, since it's high sides that you'll get from Boba easily, or the Launcher's special is solid damage in its own right. It being another 3-cost like your Autocannon is rough though, and drives home the above point.

That's some basic ideas to get you started I think? The DB site will help you a lot with honing in on what you want to do; that and just playing. The game has a very different flow and feel than most other TCGs I've played and takes some time to really get in a rhythm for deck-building and the like.

Good luck have fun!

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

A friend of mine recently got me into this game, and I was looking through the available heroes / villains to use and Dr. Aphra seems cool as hell to build around. So far I've done okay in games where I've had to borrow a Zeb/Kanaan deck. Though for now I've just got what I've pulled from a few packs I won. Who would be a good partner for the Droid Doc?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Nomadic Scholar posted:

A friend of mine recently got me into this game, and I was looking through the available heroes / villains to use and Dr. Aphra seems cool as hell to build around. So far I've done okay in games where I've had to borrow a Zeb/Kanaan deck. Though for now I've just got what I've pulled from a few packs I won. Who would be a good partner for the Droid Doc?

eTarkin is cool as it opens up droid commandos and with all the dice you'll be rolling, his power action is great. I run a pair of federation landing craft too to try and get some ablative wounds for all the indirect damage you'll be dealing yourself.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I’ve been trying her with Thrawn to no good effect, but to be fair mostly for silly reasons. Red is a strong choice though, as you get some droids and also Bubble Shield which is great if you do plan to deal yourself any indirect (though the droid discount is her better ability by far).

Seventh Sister is also interesting since you get the discount on seeker droids.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I'm a casual player and have a question. Does anyone use the battlefield card "Outer Rim Outpost"? It's claim is "Gain 1 resource and draw a card." I don't understand the advantage of drawing a card when claiming the battlefield. I'm about to draw cards until I have 5 in my hand anyway when the other player ends the round. Is there some other card or strategy that this pairs with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

PlesantDilemma posted:

I'm a casual player and have a question. Does anyone use the battlefield card "Outer Rim Outpost"? It's claim is "Gain 1 resource and draw a card." I don't understand the advantage of drawing a card when claiming the battlefield. I'm about to draw cards until I have 5 in my hand anyway when the other player ends the round. Is there some other card or strategy that this pairs with?

Gives you something to discard for Dooku's ability or is protection against Quinlan Vos' special side, I guess.