Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

Galarox posted:

Chrislito's way was requested, here it is. You can see that Oldparp and Ortwin are trying to intimidate the jury while Crobbles handwaves:

Shitizenwank Redemption please....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Orcwins reaction the moment when the judge will give the decision

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Baldness posted:

Duly noted.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Preen Dog posted:

I don't know, any game can be slow if you code it poorly. The engine isn't going to stop you from using inefficient algorithms or neglecting optimization. It's guaranteed that SC has basically no optimization at all, as the application is just a crude front for a funding vehicle. They even spin this as a positive, implying that the performance is bad because of "fidelity". You can cut the performance of an application by any amount just by adding one unnecessary computation. Some things they're definitely screwing up:

No mesh or texture budgets for any assets (a 1% complete alpha that already what, a 30GB download?). They show no recognition that simple graphics are necessary for an MMO.

Lazy, or no, LOD implementation. The ships have at least two LODS, but I don't know if the million-poly commandos do. At least, they didn't when they were doing their 50 player load tests a few months back (4 FPS just looking at a crowd of distant commandos, 40 fps looking away).

No graphics options (lol). I wonder if there is at least a config file that you can tinker with.

Lazy, or no draw culling. If a commando is walking around in a distant ship, and the ship has windows, how do you know if you should render the commando or not? Does this client have to animate his mesh skin, or just the bones, or nothing? What about if a ship is parked in Levski, and you're not sure if it should be visible from your location, hovering outside? What if a ship is hovering behind a building, but that building has visible gaps in it? Sounds hard; just draw this stuff all the time. To be fair, they are doing some kind of tree culling for ship parts and rooms, but it's broken (Doors, ramps, and hallways sometimes flicker or disappear inappropriately). Their insistence on having objects nested within objects within objects within objects dynamically attached to other objects makes this a tough problem.

Monolithic, general-purpose shaders that are probably 95% needless calculations, most of the time (eg. the shader is computing outputs from maps that are just flat white). Why make a variety of specialized shaders when you can use a few big slow ones?

Flying physics using a plethora of forces and counter-forces that could have been simplified to a few thrusts and torques while achieving the exact same (or better) feel.

Computing physics and collisions for other ships and players when the server could just tell you were they are (the server just disagrees with you, anyway, which is why debris jitters so much, or hoverbikes spaz out if you're not the rider). Computing anything at all when these players and ships are not visible to you.

Receiving RPC noise from the server all the time. If you hear the shopkeeper speaking from across the galaxy, what other garbage information are you latently receiving? Given that players are reporting data consumption of over 200KB/s (a guy on spectrum was mad because he's on a fixed data plan) in the PU, I would guess, all of it.

All the Crysis games look fine and can be made to run smooth on the minimum hardware.

Almost a gigabyte of data an hour. That's just nuts.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

I do. I play on the weekends with my friends - my system can actually handle it but, I'm using my ID for other stuff and just not ready to give it out yet = p

Unlike your pals, we don't give a poo poo what your ID is, but its nice to know you're a loving pussy and, after 12+ months, you've yet to record yourself playing Star Citizen, like you said you would.

Coward.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Galarox posted:

Ok own up! - Who else (apart from me) has an extensive criminal record? I mean, I know I only have 3 convictions for littering, 2 for lurking with intent to comit bad things on the internet, 4 for going armed with words with intent to hurt, 74 for misuse of salacious language and 1 for moral turpitude... So I clearly fall into the criminal class that that clown is refering to but.. I never post on :reddit: (if that is :reddit:)

I got a fine for not voting in a local council election.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SomethingJones posted:

It's done G0rf, we're watching it circling the drain.

I get that the direction is downward and the promised destination unreachable. It’s been downward for a long time. But watch a penny in a parabolic funnel, and see how centripetal force can extend and drag out a downward spiral for a long long time if other forces don’t disrupt the motion.

The end has been called so many, many times over the past two years and yet here we are, watching it go round and round, slooooooooowly getting lower with each rotation. Yet still it moves.

Calamitous ends are always possible. External forces (lawsuits, for example) can bring them about, and Derek will surely pop-in to tell me “it’s coming, two weeks” and he may be right. But barring outside forces disrupting the centripetal force, you might find the spiral goes longer than you think. Many more benefit from a soft descent than a sudden fall, and acting in concert they can protect the momentum and protract the spiral. Employees can be laid off, offices consolidated, new monies found, more time borrowed. The fatally wounded would sooner improvise tourniquets than race to suicide because hope springs eternal, where there’s life there’s hope, where there’s a will there’s a way and other cliches.

SOTA is dead, dead by any standard by which it might once have been deemed alive. Yet still it lives, and it may for years more. Lifeless, empty, dead in spirit but not in letter.

In present company, I tend to probably come across as more generous than some. But I keep myself open to the spectacular muddle, and I don’t discount the possibility of counteracting forces that surprise to the upside. They are usually discounted in contrarian company, yet here we are, two years after The Doom was declared yet only The Dumb came and it stayed.

Don’t assume from any of this that I think ”maybe, just maybe Chris just turn this baby around!” because that’s not what I’m saying and it’s never what I’ve said. Putting aside the technical hurdles, putting aside the financial burden, putting aside the legal threats, the deepest of all Star Citizen’s failures are existential and rooted in Chris Roberts blindness to Game Design itself. He built Assets as his foundation and centered meaning in their ownership like the Car Salesman he truly is at heart. He subordinated every virtuous, invisible necessity required to create Fun! to The Visual and Fidelitious like the Film Director he tell himself that he is. No true Game Designer would do either yet it is all he has done for 5 years straight.

He mistook the things one can look at for that which is vital, that which can engage the mind and heart, and like the man who hit the knee and offered a ring and a lifetime promise because he thought he’d found True Love in the pendulous breasts of a vacuous, loveless, joyless, careless woman, he has proven his own worth and resigned himself to failure from the start.

Whether it ends in flames and calamity tomorrow or two years hence as a joyless prison where fleet-owning, fun-hating asset fetishists in ever dwindling numbers toil about in ritualized activities that affirm to themselves the wisdom of their purchases, it seems to have secured its place in gaming history already as the greatest squandered opportunity in a lifetime. And just as he heaped congratulation upon congratulation upon himself during Star Citizen’s assent, the blame will be parceled back to him in equal measure in posterity.

(That’s my $0.02 anyway.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 14, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Galarox posted:

Ok own up! - Who else (apart from me) has an extensive criminal record? I mean, I know I only have 3 convictions for littering, 2 for lurking with intent to comit bad things on the internet, 4 for going armed with words with intent to hurt, 74 for misuse of salacious language and 1 for moral turpitude... So I clearly fall into the criminal class that that clown is refering to but.. I never post on :reddit: (if that is :reddit:)

Once, south of the border, los federales caught me in possession of a taco with blue cheese. Let me tell you waterboarding in Mexico (it includes chili peppers) is much more advanced.

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

G0RF posted:

The silent lurker population here varies but over the course of a given month but includes:
  • CIG folk like the thread intern, who feels like an old pal or pal-ette at this point (Raises glass, nods understandingly.)
  • Foundry folk with complicated feelings
  • Relay folk and other streamers who mostly despise us and believe we are all of one mind controlled by Derek
  • Friendly Heretics silently monitoring for laughs
  • Denizens from /SC picking up “intel” from Behind Enemy Lines because LARP!
  • Exiles from /DS who make screaming at their monitors a part of their daily therapeutic routine
  • Free-ranging skeptics from other SC discussion hubs like Frontier, MMORPG, 4chan, etc. who carry :lol:s back to their preferred SC homes
  • A few game journos/bloggers
  • Game industry folk picking up water cooler chatter (“You hear “you can fit all of Skyrim in there” crap? The nerve of that guy.)
  • LAZRIN!!!, the legend
  • Ex-CIG folks just having a :lol:
  • If Coutts and Crytek don’t have minions paying $10 yet they probably will once they figure out how much easier the research gets.

And more. Not all at once, not all the time, but regularly enough. Thread is, like Star Citizen, still good.

Please count me in under the "Friendly Heretic" category.

Or just....

Tane.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Friendly HereTane.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The parking space next to the door is labeled "Chris" and I believe that's the spot where we've seen the Porsche.

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/677222716408131584/photo/1

Ding!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

For all the noise that spills out of reddit nothing is louder than the silence surrounding the Porsches, manor and vacations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Chris was rich before SC from making all those terrible movies, hth.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

quote:

You’re here and reading this because we are willing to go big, to do the things that terrify publishers. You’ve trusted us with your money so we can build a game, not line our pockets. And we sure as hell didn’t run this campaign so we could put that money in the bank, guarantee ourselves a profit and turn out some flimsy replica of a game I’ve made before.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

trucutru posted:

Once, south of the border, los federales caught me in possession of a taco with blue cheese. Let me tell you waterboarding in Mexico (it includes chili peppers) is much more advanced.

:five:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
archer'd

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I doxxed Chris Roberts's Google+ page (*) and apparently Robert Space Industry is real!

https://www.robertspaceindustry.com/

(*) not actually doxxing, not actually Chris Roberts

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i guess they did technically stick to those words. they aren't going to even turn out a flimsy replica of a game

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Meant to post this earlier and finally caught up. More FUD from GI including a nice jab at Crobbers

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Baldness posted:

Oh, I saw that! It was okay, a little sad. There's a fight scene in the cafeteria that practically clips through the screen! 2 and a half space bulldozers out of 5.

From the brilliant mind of Chris Roberts posted:

Judge: Chris Roberts, your files say you've completed five percent of an ambitious game development. Do you feel it's been refactored?

Chris: Refactored? Well, um now let me see. You know, I err don't have any, err, idea what that means.

Judge: Well, it means that you're ready to release something...

Chris: I err uh know what you think it, it err means, sonny. To me, it's just kind of a made up word and stuff. A politician's, uh, word, so young fellas like err yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and err have a job and so on. What do you really, uh, what do you want to know? Am I sorry for what I, err, did?

Judge: Well, are you?

Chris: There's not a, uh, day goes by I don't feel regret and things like, uh, that. Not because err I'm in here, because you think I should. I, errhm, I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible code. I want to, uh, talk to him. *waves hands wildly* I want to err try to talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are and uh like that. But I, I err, I can't. That kid's long gone, and this, uh, old man is all that's left. I got to live, um, with that. Refactored? It's just a bullshit word. So you go on and, uh, stamp your refund, sonny, and stop wasting my, erhm, my time. Because to tell you the truth, I, uh, don't know poo poo.

(you might have meant the other famous quote, though?)

BEWARE SPOILERS posted:

In 2018, Chris Roberts escaped from Star Citizen. All they found of him was a muddy floormat from a limited edition Porsche, a tube of toupee glue, and an old black turtleneck, drat near worn down to nothing. I remember thinking it would take a company six hundred years to get so much money without a game. Old Chris did it in less than six. Oh, Chris loved space. I imagine it appealed to his vacuous nature. An empty space here, million years of nothing there. Space is the absence of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time. That, and a big goddamn jpeg. Like I said, in game development a man will do most anything to keep his backers occupied. Turns out Chris's favorite hobby was totin' their dollars into his personal account, a few ships at a time. I guess after Ben was walled up in his office, Chris decided he'd been there just about long enough. Chris did like he was told, buffed those shoes to a high mirror shine. The backers simply didn't notice. Neither did I... I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a man's shoes?

Chris crawled to freedom through a thousand whales of poo poo-smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. A thousand whales... that's the number to fill twenty servers of Star Citizen, at just shy of 10 frames per second.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 14, 2018

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The GLA uses the term "Exclusive", then we must accept one of two possibilities.

1. Star Citizen has exclusive rights to CryEngine, therefore nothing else in the world can use CryEngine.

2. Star Citizen must exclusively use CryEngine as its base, therefore switching to any other engine would break the GLA.

Since 1 cannot be true, seeing as how many other games use CryEngine...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its apropos of nothing but its come up on reddit recently and boy-howdy I don't understand how anyone doesn't get this.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The GLA uses the term "Exclusive", then we must accept one of two possibilities.

1. Star Citizen has exclusive rights to CryEngine, therefore nothing else in the world can use CryEngine.

2. Star Citizen must exclusively use CryEngine as its base, therefore switching to any other engine would break the GLA.

:5: Thank you for pointing this out in the most basic of understandings.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

After the OBLITERATOR-class dreadnought goes on sale with the slogan "the best ship winners can buy" goes on sale for $5,000, I expect the "the game is not pay to win!" posts to become around 20% of the total posts in reddit, with 60% being "it's an alpha", 10% being "Well, I have great performance and fun", 9% "first, I must say that I love this game over anything else in the world but...", and the final one percent people asking how to lift-off.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

can't wait to get my purple Idris in a $1000 concierge loot box

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

I look forward to this brave new world where "rare" doesn't mean any kind of limited availability.

It's almost like these people are slowly beginning to suspect that they should have been asking some questions about these ship sales all along, and trying to get clear answers about what this game they've been pumping money into is actually going to be like. If they had, CIG might have been forced to either admit that they're charging hundreds of dollars for a ship because it's the price an idiot would pay for one ("to fund development!") and that if the game is ever released and wants to have a healthy userbase, getting ships or other items can't take months and months of tedious grind and the 'value' of those ships is going to be absolutely negligible.

Or CIG might admit that what they're almost certainly going to do is bury all progress under months and months of tedious grind, just so the whales who paid thousands of dollars don't have tantrums at the thought that their ultra-expensive space chariot has an actual value of less than a buck, even if it means pretty much nobody is ever going to want to play. (Hey, at least the framerate will be better, finally.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galarox posted:

Need help for a shop - I need this re-written from a goon perspective, with the good Doctor Derek involved if poss (but that's not vital, just needs to be snappy)

"In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team."

I am so, so stuck.... I got as far as:

"In 2017 a crap commando unit was sent to prison by a civil court for promises they couldn't commit. They were promptly rescued from their flat, featureless plain outside a space station on Delamar by a cultist suicide squad. Today, still wanted by at least 12 countries across the globe, they survive as archers of art and bad taste. If you have a dream, and no one else can fund it, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the Parp Force."

Then I ran out of ideas.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DapperDon posted:

:5: Thank you for pointing this out in the most basic of understandings.

A lot of people on reddit seem to act dumb, exclusively. :smuggo:

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

FadedReality posted:

Meant to post this earlier and finally caught up. More FUD from GI including a nice jab at Crobbers

I don't think the "used car dealership" was a random jab.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

(That’s my $0.02 anyway.)

The thing that will not die.

Great post, possibly my favorite G0rf effort in a while due to sheer density of poetry and truth.

A thought on 'external forces' - CIG have created these by their own action/inaction. CIG created the Dereks, the Streetrollers and the Skaddens just as they created the Joe Blobers, the Lazrins and the cult of hating Derek Smart.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its apropos of nothing but its come up on reddit recently and boy-howdy I don't understand how anyone doesn't get this.

Speaking of reddit, if the thread intern didn’t get the message to CIG, I guess it’ll still cross the right radars eventually.

I look forward to the next RTV! As low as my expectations were, the last one delivered in a big way. (Still :lol:ing over AP’s screenshot...)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Galarox posted:

with thanks to Bofast and thanks to the others who responded, but Bofast's was perfect imo.

LOL :five:

So good dude. Thanks for the lil Solar Plebeian shout-out :)

There's another version of the SP logo with air horns instead of leaves (not that you should use it, what you got is perfect):

I have an svg version if you should ever want it.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Baldness posted:

There will be FUD

"I've abandoned my fanboy!"

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Preen Dog posted:

I don't know, any game can be slow if you code it poorly. The engine isn't going to stop you from using inefficient algorithms or neglecting optimization. It's guaranteed that SC has basically no optimization at all, as the application is just a crude front for a funding vehicle. They even spin this as a positive, implying that the performance is bad because of "fidelity". You can cut the performance of an application by any amount just by adding one unnecessary computation. Some things they're definitely screwing up:

No mesh or texture budgets for any assets (a 1% complete alpha that already what, a 30GB download?). They show no recognition that simple graphics are necessary for an MMO.

Lazy, or no, LOD implementation. The ships have at least two LODS, but I don't know if the million-poly commandos do. At least, they didn't when they were doing their 50 player load tests a few months back (4 FPS just looking at a crowd of distant commandos, 40 fps looking away).

No graphics options (lol). I wonder if there is at least a config file that you can tinker with.

Lazy, or no draw culling. If a commando is walking around in a distant ship, and the ship has windows, how do you know if you should render the commando or not? Does this client have to animate his mesh skin, or just the bones, or nothing? What about if a ship is parked in Levski, and you're not sure if it should be visible from your location, hovering outside? What if a ship is hovering behind a building, but that building has visible gaps in it? Sounds hard; just draw this stuff all the time. To be fair, they are doing some kind of tree culling for ship parts and rooms, but it's broken (Doors, ramps, and hallways sometimes flicker or disappear inappropriately). Their insistence on having objects nested within objects within objects within objects dynamically attached to other objects makes this a tough problem.

Monolithic, general-purpose shaders that are probably 95% needless calculations, most of the time (eg. the shader is computing outputs from maps that are just flat white). Why make a variety of specialized shaders when you can use a few big slow ones?

Flying physics using a plethora of forces and counter-forces that could have been simplified to a few thrusts and torques while achieving the exact same (or better) feel.

Computing physics and collisions for other ships and players when the server could just tell you were they are (the server just disagrees with you, anyway, which is why debris jitters so much, or hoverbikes spaz out if you're not the rider). Computing anything at all when these players and ships are not visible to you.

Receiving RPC noise from the server all the time. If you hear the shopkeeper speaking from across the galaxy, what other garbage information are you latently receiving? Given that players are reporting data consumption of over 200KB/s (a guy on spectrum was mad because he's on a fixed data plan) in the PU, I would guess, all of it.

All the Crysis games look fine and can be made to run smooth on the minimum hardware.

:five: pro post.

In bold is the most mind-blowing one. I couldn't believe it when I saw the IFCS code in that bugsmashers. With a straight face Bugshmasherman casually mentioned how his client has to calculate the real-time physics of every other player on the server. I thought I was gonna poo poo. Does he even know that physics processing is usually the most computationally taxing part of a game?

Then again, this is CIG. They break all boundaries. I have no doubt their "Atmospheric Fluid Dynamic Argon Processing Engine" is orders of magnitude more expensive than dumb old physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gently caress people are so dense...