Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Metalshark posted:

He's using mutants from the past, so she was going by X-23 at that point, hence the old costume.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh ok that makes sense. Jesus, the art really fails to convey... anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is Grand Design meant to be cannon? I know you kind of need to keep Magneto as a Holocaust survivor, it's pretty central to his character. But I don't know that we need an established timeline showing that Charles really did fight in (Korea?) and that David is the son of holocaust survivor and therefore at least 60 years old. Oh, and by way of an establishing shot, that Spider-Man's been slinging webs for 50+ years too.

I guess there's really no way for the actual timelines to make sense, especially when real events in history are also part of the MU. I just thought they tried to condense it whenever possible (Punisher isn't a Vietnam vet anymore, because there's always a new war he can be a vet of, etc).

I did enjoy Grand Design # 1 though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is Grand Design meant to be cannon? I know you kind of need to keep Magneto as a Holocaust survivor, it's pretty central to his character. But I don't know that we need an established timeline showing that Charles really did fight in (Korea?) and that David is the son of holocaust survivor and therefore at least 60 years old. Oh, and by way of an establishing shot, that Spider-Man's been slinging webs for 50+ years too.

I guess there's really no way for the actual timelines to make sense, especially when real events in history are also part of the MU. I just thought they tried to condense it whenever possible (Punisher isn't a Vietnam vet anymore, because there's always a new war he can be a vet of, etc).

I'm pretty sure they just told Ed Piskor to do whatever he wants continuity be damned because he's Ed Piskor

Thanks for reminding me that's out, btw.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Grab a copy quick, it sold out at Diamond.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

I believe it's Ed Piskor's attempt at boiling down 50+ years of incredibly convoluted continuity into an easy to digest format. Pretending the actual timeline makes sense went out the window a long time ago. Cap's always gonna be a WW2 vet and Magneto will always be a Holocaust survivor regardless of the year being 1965 or 2065. Better to just acknowledge that the actual passage of time has no meaning in the Marvel Universe because it doesn't.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jedi posted:

I believe it's Ed Piskor's attempt at boiling down 50+ years of incredibly convoluted continuity into an easy to digest format. Pretending the actual timeline makes sense went out the window a long time ago. Cap's always gonna be a WW2 vet and Magneto will always be a Holocaust survivor regardless of the year being 1965 or 2065. Better to just acknowledge that the actual passage of time has no meaning in the Marvel Universe because it doesn't.

Well, with Cap they can always just retcon the date of the re-thaw. Magneto got turned into a baby and then back into an adult so they can play with his age there.

But yeah, you're right. It's stupid to try to care about the actual timeline.

And issue 1 is pretty great IMO, so, I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I posted a question in the movie thread about how Mutants would fit into the MCU considering how people seem to love these superheroes with their flashy powers while the Mutants' deal is that they're hated for being born with flashy powers. I haven't kept up with X-Men books for a while now so I wanted to ask if they're still hated and feared up to now?

I've just been thinking about it and what bothers me about Mutants in general is that they barely seem to have made any progress towards their goal. I mean, yeah, I get that comics and status quo go hand in hand, and that Marvel's sliding timescale means Mutants have probably only existed for 20 years. It's just that since comics let you escape from reality for a bit and how they can be used to inspire their readers, it's depressing that Mutants can't make any progress toward acceptance because their deal is being hated and feared.

I did hear that Rick Remender tried to tackle this with his Uncanny Avengers run, but apparently it wasn't handled very well?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I think mutant progress has kept up with minorities and gays in the sense that they're allowed to get married but America is still full of bigots anyway. I know at one point they had that Utopia island somewhere off the coast of California that was a safe-space for all the mutant snowflakes but I assume if they walk around the mainland a bunch of fat white trash still call them cucks.

That gets me wondering, has there been any mention of Trump in the Marvel universe?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I posted a question in the movie thread about how Mutants would fit into the MCU considering how people seem to love these superheroes with their flashy powers while the Mutants' deal is that they're hated for being born with flashy powers. I haven't kept up with X-Men books for a while now so I wanted to ask if they're still hated and feared up to now?

From the (controversial) X-Men Gold #1

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

davebo posted:

I think mutant progress has kept up with minorities and gays in the sense that they're allowed to get married but America is still full of bigots anyway. I know at one point they had that Utopia island somewhere off the coast of California that was a safe-space for all the mutant snowflakes but I assume if they walk around the mainland a bunch of fat white trash still call them cucks.

That gets me wondering, has there been any mention of Trump in the Marvel universe?

Marvel removed a reference to him from a just released comic.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Postal Parcel posted:

And also what a great example of bigotry persisting in the real world since the muslim artist of that issue put in anti-Jewish references! (which is the controversy he was referring to of course)

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

davebo posted:

And also what a great example of bigotry persisting in the real world since the muslim artist of that issue put in anti-Jewish references! (which is the controversy he was referring to of course)

I never even considered the irony of it turning up on that particular page. Thanks for rueful chuckle.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Postal Parcel posted:

Who came up with the name “homo superior“ anyway? Was it Xavier? That sure isn't helping!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cant cook creole bream posted:

Who came up with the name “homo superior“ anyway? Was it Xavier? That sure isn't helping!

Wasn't it Bolivar Trask? I think (but I'm not sure) that it first appeared alongside the Sentinels.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I mean it could be worse. They could start to call them homo sapiens while everyone else becomes homo inferior.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Should call them Homo Sapien Sapien Sapien.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Cassandra Nova and Vargas from X-Treme X-Men were bigged up as "homo sapiens superior" and it was treated like a big deal?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

All for this

E: Looking it up, the earliest mention I see is for X-Men #1 when Magneto appears. "Marvel U chronologically", I have no idea. I'd imagine it happened early in Charles/Erik's life, because I can't imagine them being called "homo superior" by people who think of them less than scum

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 25, 2017

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Wiki says that in the real world, it was originally coined by a sci fi novel in 1935 called Odd John, about a "supernormal" guy with telepathic powers who gathers other powered people into their own little hideaway.

But regardless of where it started, we all know it wasn't truly popularized until Bowie went through his Brotherhood of Mutants phase in the 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBQ-S6njQQw

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Phoenix Resurrection was...sluggish, is the word I might use? Just seems like a series of freaky events one after the other instead of something particularly cohesive. Still, it's only the first issue; we'll see what happens after the lil' bits of reveals we saw, some of which are almost certainly fakeouts.

It's kinda annoying that it's clearly taking as few cues from the current (but soon to end!...:geno:) Jean Grey series as it can get away with, and in fact outright contradicting it in many ways what with Rachel showing up here being all "durr what could possibly be happening! It's not like teen Jean has been warning us about this for months. It's definitely not as if I personally literally saw the actual Phoenix right here on Earth just over in that book." Yeah, this doesn't bolster any confidences about this whole event being all that well coordinated between X-writers.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

Phoenix Resurrection was...sluggish, is the word I might use? Just seems like a series of freaky events one after the other instead of something particularly cohesive. Still, it's only the first issue; we'll see what happens after the lil' bits of reveals we saw, some of which are almost certainly fakeouts.

It's kinda annoying that it's clearly taking as few cues from the current (but soon to end!...:geno:) Jean Grey series as it can get away with, and in fact outright contradicting it in many ways what with Rachel showing up here being all "durr what could possibly be happening! It's not like teen Jean has been warning us about this for months. It's definitely not as if I personally literally saw the actual Phoenix right here on Earth just over in that book." Yeah, this doesn't bolster any confidences about this whole event being all that well coordinated between X-writers.

Agreed, it feels really disjointed both as an issue and as a larger narrative from the Jean solo series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The X-Men Gold Annual was pretty fun, and it was great to see Excalibur back together, though I'm not sure Guggenheim really got their personalities. Brian, in particular, just kind of came off as a doofus. Still, it was better than I would have expected from Guggenheim. There was some weird contradictions, though, with Maggie. Meggan complains that she's already smarter than her, but then she has to ask what a baby and blue are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm behind due to the xmas week delay in Canada, so just read Pheonix 2, and I'll say Laura stabbing Magneto? with her foot was kinda awesome. Though Diner Erik's star of david kind of looks like a pentagram.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm behind due to the xmas week delay in Canada, so just read Pheonix 2, and I'll say Laura stabbing Magneto? with her foot was kinda awesome. Though Diner Erik's star of david kind of looks like a pentagram.

I haven't read the book, so I don't know what the Star of David looks like in it, but it should be pretty easy to tell the difference between the two based on the number of points on the star. For anyone who's not sure of the difference The Star of David is a six pointed star and "Penta" is Greek for "five"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

The X-Men Gold Annual was pretty fun, and it was great to see Excalibur back together, though I'm not sure Guggenheim really got their personalities. Brian, in particular, just kind of came off as a doofus. Still, it was better than I would have expected from Guggenheim. There was some weird contradictions, though, with Maggie. Meggan complains that she's already smarter than her, but then she has to ask what a baby and blue are.

Yeah but, as someone else here posted in the recent past, I am *so* loving sick of hyperintelligent children.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Endless Mike posted:

To be fair Brian was a doofus for much of Excalibur.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Though Diner Erik's star of david kind of looks like a pentagram.

No, it doesn't. In every shot it gives the impression of having 6 points. I think you're being fooled by the fact that it has a circle around it.

EDIT: Pretty sure I got them all:

Jedi fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 11, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jedi posted:

No, it doesn't. In every shot it gives the impression of having 6 points. I think you're being fooled by the fact that it has a circle around it.

EDIT: Pretty sure I got them all:

I meant it looked like one at a glance, I think its how tight its around his neck, reminds me of how all the goth girls I know wear them. It is always a star of david.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So what I don't get about the Gold Annual is when did Braddock get his eye back and when the poo poo did Kitty and Peter get engaged? I mean, they only just got back together and not even formally or anything. Overall I was pretty underwhelmed by it even with the Excalibur reunion, which in principle I dug. At least we can be confident that the super-genius baby (ugh) will be promptly memory-holed because who gives a poo poo and it was so badly written as to be almost a parody of genius babies. At least we got a cameo from a rad X-Plain the X-Men t-shirt, one I really should buy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

rantmo posted:

So what I don't get about the Gold Annual is when did Braddock get his eye back

I think that was when he died and was brought back to life by Merlyn with a bunch of flags.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The braddocks are really lousy about losing their eyes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Synthbuttrange posted:

The braddocks are really lousy about losing their eyes

Don't blinkshame them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So far Phoenix Resurrection is reading like three first issues.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianWilly posted:

So far Phoenix Resurrection is reading like three first issues.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You’re all some lovely X-Men fans if you aren’t singing the praises of Grand Design.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Open Marriage Night posted:

You’re all some lovely X-Men fans if you aren’t singing the praises of Grand Design.
Sing it, lest you are lovely fan hoisted on your own lovely fan petard.

I have never fully gotten the appeal of Ed Piskor's tone/content but I have also never been a super fan of the X-Men either so I guess I might just be a real piece of poo poo for not liking the same stuff that you like, sell me on why I am a lovely piece of poo poo scumbag please. I am afraid your post did not fully explain the value and appeal of Grand Design is a way that I, a lovely poo poo person, can fully appreciate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Isn't grand design just attempt 100 to streamline the X-men's past.

I don't need to read more if that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Isn't grand design just attempt 100 to streamline the X-men's past.

I don't need to read more if that.

Is it even in continuity? It feels like just an artist showcase project.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Rhyno posted:

Is it even in continuity? It feels like just an artist showcase project.

It's not meant to be in continuity, but the idea of retooling X-men history in a more coherent way is not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wielder posted:

It's not meant to be in continuity, but the idea of retooling X-men history in a more coherent way is not bad.

I guess? Just trying to say that this two issue project that had no major hype from Marvel (seriously, not even a single push from their marketing to get retailers to carry it) is the new X-Men history kind of feels silly.