Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The better way to handle an imaginary and inconsequential deadline you can't meet is to abandon the mission, move on with your life, and not brigade whine on a dozen different internet forums about it :barf: ad :barf: nauseum :barf: forever :barf:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

lmao you really think that's what's going on here

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
After looking at your post history in this thread, I think you're continuing to be a douchebag because you're still mad that I called you out for having trouble parsing short forum posts a few days ago.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lol okay dude

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

osirisisdead posted:

The better way to handle an imaginary and inconsequential deadline you can't meet is to abandon the mission, move on with your life, and not brigade whine on a dozen different internet forums about it :barf: ad :barf: nauseum :barf: forever :barf:

Sorry dude, I think you have me confused with someone else. Or is SA now so bloated by Radium's bad code it should count as a dozen internet forums?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I wouldn't complain if they implemented lore-friendly reduced payments for late deliveries, but I also don't think the current system of mission failure is unfair.

When I make a passenger run to Colonia and back, my employer tells me very clearly: "You have exactly four weeks from RIGHT THIS SECOND." I note my ship's current time-per-1000 LY, figure out how much progress I need to make each day to stay on pace, and know that if I get back after the (generous) deadline, I'll be poo poo out of luck. And I'm okay with all that, or else I wouldn't have taken the job.

(edit: To be fair, though, I am Frontier-apologist immersion-fetishist weirdo.)

(edit2: Agreed; I'll take all the immersive flavor-text poo poo like that I can get. :) )

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 13, 2018

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Trustworthy posted:

I wouldn't complain if they implemented lore-friendly reduced payments for late deliveries, but I also don't think the current system of mission failure is unfair.

When I make a passenger run to Colonia and back, my employer tells me very clearly: "You have exactly four weeks from RIGHT THIS SECOND." I note my ship's current time-per-1000 LY, figure out how much progress I need to make each day to stay on pace, and know that if I get back after the (generous) deadline, I'll be poo poo out of luck. And I'm okay with all that, or else I wouldn't have taken the job.

Nah it's not unfair. But it is harsh when you consider a couple minutes against tens of hours of flight time and there's more fun ways of handling deadlines with long distance, long term missions like that. What doctorfrog posted would be fun as hell.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Libluini posted:

Sorry dude, I think you have me confused with someone else. Or is SA now so bloated by Radium's bad code it should count as a dozen internet forums?

That story sucks, man, sorry. IMO, those missions shouldn't have a time limit at all, but instead a bonus for coming in under time.

It's frustrating because the timer is the timer, and we all know it's there, but jeeeeeez man. Everyone has been burned by mission timers, but the effort that you put into long-haul pax missions makes it even worse. At least when I run out of oxygen above the docking pad, my ship has the decency to explode and let me know about my failure. There's no catharsis when a mission timer runs out.

:rip: your :effort:, sorry dude.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

osirisisdead posted:

After looking at your post history in this thread, I think you're continuing to be a douchebag because you're still mad that I called you out for having trouble parsing short forum posts a few days ago.

:discourse:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Orv posted:

It's such a little thing, but are there any combat ships with similar reverse thruster placement as the Type 6? Seeing the exhaust as you slow down in that is cool.

The Federal Gunship has that!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

YellerBill posted:

I wanna say the Vulture has some cockput visible forward thrusters too?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Libluini posted:

He's the kettle calling the pot black.
As for the mission failing, it sucks that despite having travelled all the way to wherever you were supposed to, travelled back and actually docked at the destination station the mission still failed because the mission board took too long to load up. If it had failed while on the way to the station I would've understood it, but you said you had docked so that seems exceedingly harsh even taking into account the timer itself.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

How do I shoot thargoids? Figure I’ll fit a type 10 and do :airquote:content:airquote:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’ve been able to kill two hearts solo in an anaconda before having to bail. The yellow lightning stuff they shoot hits really hard. It’s also harder than I thought to aim fixed cannons in an anaconda.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Saw somebody recommending turrets.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A decently fit FGS should be more than enough if you have some other people to fly with.

Orv
May 4, 2011

YellerBill posted:

DatonKallandor posted:

I wanna say the Vulture has some cockput visible forward thrusters too?

Sadly the Vulture does not (though I love how it flies) so I guess my first big quest once I have the ships I want from my illicit lucre is to go find some Fed rep.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I do wish they had a Thargoid lite you could do solo. I’m fine with them gating most of it behind groups, but I essentially missed an entire content cycle as a majority solo player. They don’t even have to make it that rewarding, just give me a Thargoid babby I can knock around with the new modules.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could go "experience the content" by suiciding into a Thargoid.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Only thing I want to experience there, is getting interdicted by one, get the up close and personal scan treatment, then watch it gently caress off to bug someone else.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what I gather, in the beginning of all of this they would only come after us if we had a UA in our hold (which is what I did for the first couple hyperdictions), but I got pulled out of hyperspace on my way back from Palin a couple weeks ago with an empty cargo hold. I wasn't ready for it so I didn't trigger my shutdown field neutralizer in time.

They released some Xeno ally decals... so I wonder if there is actually going to be Xeno ally content available...

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

If you wanna see goids in a small ship the rescue CG is a good way to do it (briefly - starts to get samey fast). It's like being in the woods with a bear and trying real hard not to piss it off. It loses its charm eventually but I had a really fun tense time snagging escape pods out from under them.

For extra tension listen to creepy music. It Follows and the new Bladerunner have great soundtracks for this

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I do wish they had a Thargoid lite you could do solo. I’m fine with them gating most of it behind groups, but I essentially missed an entire content cycle as a majority solo player. They don’t even have to make it that rewarding, just give me a Thargoid babby I can knock around with the new modules.

The little Thargoids are coming next month.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 14, 2018

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

osirisisdead posted:

They released some Xeno ally decals... so I wonder if there is actually going to be Xeno ally content available...

No...
No there is not...
They pretended there was some level of depth...

But there isn’t and it’s just USSes . . .

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I just noticed that elite dangerous has some very rad achievement art. If you’ve been playing for a while odds are you have some very cool Xbox wallpapers at your disposal. I just got one for scanning the listening post at merope which is a cool one too.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are USS bad-wrong again? They've been an enjoyable staple of my E:D experience, but I legitimately enjoy salvaging and mining and all of that stuff.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

osirisisdead posted:

Why are USS bad-wrong again? They've been an enjoyable staple of my E:D experience, but I legitimately enjoy salvaging and mining and all of that stuff.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with them but you can’t possibly be unaware to the fact that we’re being delivered a less-than-random encounter with them and the fact that most of the real gameplay either happens in entirely optional USSes or Interdictions is a horrible weakness.

I like the game a whole lot, don’t get me wrong, but everything being based around Supercruise is really what kneecaps a lot of potential cool experiences since it’s such a weird meta-“choose your encounter” layer of gameplay.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

osirisisdead posted:

they're not

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^lol^^

ASA, that doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, I understand the words you wrote, but I don't understand why anybody would think that any of that was a bad thing in a sandbox spaceship simulator...

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I hope some day they figure out that having combat around structures and more interesting environments than 'blank bit of space' is a good idea. I mean they already have cap ships and asteroid fields. Why do they generally just put everything in the most boring possible environment. The new rescue CG seems to be the first time they've ever done anything actually interesting with their station art assets.

Is more/new mission templates on the roadmap for Beyond? That's what they desperately need - to figure out how to make engaging gameplay loops. And the easiest way to do that would be by implementing decent missions.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think they were working on something like that, but it got bumped... That's part of why I try to get some CQC time in every now and again...

Also, they somewhat recently added persistent salvage fields that are pretty cool...

There are also some derelicts and generation ships floating around, and apparently the squadrons update is going to add player-controlled fleet carriers...

I heard some rumors that there were asteroid-bases, but haven't seen any myself yet...

They may have not been able to figure out how to sanely procedurally populate those assets into the game yet.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 14, 2018

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004
Missions-wise, a (presumably) simple change I'd like to see is linked missions which are more of the same of what you just did, but with more risk/reward. Currently it's just random, so I can do passenger missions in a ship with no weapons, say, and then be offered a "linked" mission to go assassinate some bad guy in my space bus.

Too much RNG-ing again I guess :/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That story sucks, man, sorry. IMO, those missions shouldn't have a time limit at all, but instead a bonus for coming in under time.

It's frustrating because the timer is the timer, and we all know it's there, but jeeeeeez man. Everyone has been burned by mission timers, but the effort that you put into long-haul pax missions makes it even worse. At least when I run out of oxygen above the docking pad, my ship has the decency to explode and let me know about my failure. There's no catharsis when a mission timer runs out.

:rip: your :effort:, sorry dude.

radintorov posted:

He's the kettle calling the pot black.
As for the mission failing, it sucks that despite having travelled all the way to wherever you were supposed to, travelled back and actually docked at the destination station the mission still failed because the mission board took too long to load up. If it had failed while on the way to the station I would've understood it, but you said you had docked so that seems exceedingly harsh even taking into account the timer itself.

The funny thing is, Frontier already implemented this "happyness" system for passengers: They start out happy, but get progressively unhappier the more you gently caress up, instead of just instantly failing whenever something goes wrong. This explorer here was even called "laid back and doesn't care about delays" in the mission description, which makes it even weirder to have the mission instantly fail the second the timer runs out.

Also look at this poo poo: The game is telling me simultaneously that the mission is completed, is cancelled and is warning me that time is running out. Look at the time stamps: If those are right, I did not only receive them at the same time, they were apparently generated all together, too.

The time warning is fascinating, too:

Here the NPC is telling me that I should hurry up, even though I'm already docked up. He also gives me 0 seconds to complete, as this message only showed up together with the other two from above: After I already failed

I've decided that it's weird enough to file a bug report in the PS4-subforum.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So I'm out in the pleiades being killed by station campers while (heroically) rescuing evacuees, and I just noticed that my fed rank progression has reached 100%, which iirc means I should be looking for a naval mission to rank up

Any chance of finding one of those in one of the federation stations out here in the boonies? I relogged half a dozen times in a station to refresh the missions from a couple of fed reps but nothing seemed to stand out from the regular stuff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bohemian Nights posted:

So I'm out in the pleiades being killed by station campers while (heroically) rescuing evacuees, and I just noticed that my fed rank progression has reached 100%, which iirc means I should be looking for a naval mission to rank up

Any chance of finding one of those in one of the federation stations out here in the boonies? I relogged half a dozen times in a station to refresh the missions from a couple of fed reps but nothing seemed to stand out from the regular stuff

Even if you can't find one immediately, the game will bank rep past 100% so you're invisibly making progress on the next rank and nothing will be lost. When you go back to the bubble and rank you may find that you're already halfway to the next one or you may get two or more rankups in a row.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ok so I've been playing this game for about 7 months and have about 300 hours in it. Since there's no real game in it I set myself some arbitrary goals. My goals thus far have been:

Get an Asp Explorer.
Reach the core.
Reach Colonia
Get a Federal Assault Ship
Get Sol permit
Participate in the Diamond Frogs CG
Get all my poo poo engineered to the max

I've done all those things and I'm having trouble coming up with a new goal or even finding reasons to keep playing. I love being in a ship doing poo poo when it feels like I'm working towards some goal but the only thing left I think I'm interested in is getting a Corvette and I'm so far off from that, that the grind to get there is putting me off.

My home base is in the Frogs system (the name escapes me at the moment) and I've got an Asp Explorer with 2 loadouts (long distance exploration and passenger hauling), a FAS outfitted for bounty hunting, and a Type 7 for cargo hauling and piracy. I've also got 90 million in the bank. I'm playing in VR with a HOTAS and YouTube in Oculus Dash. My navy rank is whatever it took to get the FAS.

I haven't tried any of the Thargoid stuff yet, and haven't tried any of the station rescue stuff yet either.

With my combo of ships and money what are some good goals I can set that will keep me interested in this game? I haven't done any "exploity" stuff to get where I am now (but I'm not opposed to it if it has a great monetary return) aside from doing maybe 3 hours of the road to riches when I first started out.

If you were where I am now, what would you do to keep the game interesting?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Libluini posted:

The funny thing is, Frontier already implemented this "happyness" system for passengers: They start out happy, but get progressively unhappier the more you gently caress up, instead of just instantly failing whenever something goes wrong. This explorer here was even called "laid back and doesn't care about delays" in the mission description, which makes it even weirder to have the mission instantly fail the second the timer runs out.

Also look at this poo poo: The game is telling me simultaneously that the mission is completed, is cancelled and is warning me that time is running out. Look at the time stamps: If those are right, I did not only receive them at the same time, they were apparently generated all together, too.

The time warning is fascinating, too:

Here the NPC is telling me that I should hurry up, even though I'm already docked up. He also gives me 0 seconds to complete, as this message only showed up together with the other two from above: After I already failed

I've decided that it's weird enough to file a bug report in the PS4-subforum.

Mails with a countdown are dynamic so they would start with a timer that is more than 0:00. You can also see it in mails gi out a time based bonus.

I think the only bug there is the contract completed but if you consider that you get a pasengers disembarked message when you deliver economy passengers or survivors it checks out.

Edit: the fact that you had the three messages in a batch makes me think about a network delay rather than an explicit bug. Iirc consecutive messages on a topic are lumped up in a single thread and you would get only one notification in the inbox numbers.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 14, 2018

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

GutBomb posted:

Ok so I've been playing this game for about 7 months and have about 300 hours in it. Since there's no real game in it I set myself some arbitrary goals. My goals thus far have been:

Get an Asp Explorer.
Reach the core.
Reach Colonia
Get Sol permit

I've done all those things and I'm having trouble coming up with a new goal or even finding reasons to keep playing. I love being in a ship doing poo poo when it feels like I'm working towards some goal but the only thing left I think I'm interested in is getting a Corvette and I'm so far off from that, that the grind to get there is putting me off.

My home base is in the Frogs system (the name escapes me at the moment) and I've got an Asp Explorer with 2 loadouts (long distance exploration and passenger hauling), a FAS outfitted for bounty hunting, and a Type 7 for cargo hauling and piracy. I've also got 90 million in the bank. I'm playing in VR with a HOTAS and YouTube in Oculus Dash. My navy rank is whatever it took to get the FAS.

I haven't tried any of the Thargoid stuff yet, and haven't tried any of the station rescue stuff yet either.

With my combo of ships and money what are some good goals I can set that will keep me interested in this game? I haven't done any "exploity" stuff to get where I am now (but I'm not opposed to it if it has a great monetary return) aside from doing maybe 3 hours of the road to riches when I first started out.

Station rescue is fun and I recommend to do it at least once but it is a 10 minutes gameplay loop. On the other hand get a cheap ship and try quick cargo grabbing from goids for the current rescue cg, bonus points if you steal escape pods from under their noses and live (next time I will try with an eagle).

Have you been to beagle point?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Get an Asp Explorer.
Reach the core.
Reach Colonia
Get Sol permit

Take a combat ship out to Colonia and expand the Galcop faction out there! Or do what I did and build a vulture and transfer it since it’s only on the order of 20mil or so to transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Bohemian Nights posted:

The cg station is a federal station I think.

• Locked thread