Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

A redpiller is born.

In this instance the dude seems justified, but I had a roommate whose dad beat the poo poo out of him and his brothers to the point where he was super paranoid and carried around a knife starting at 10 years old, then later on reconciled with his dad and started blaming his non-abusive mom for not intervening and is 100% MRA to a ridiculous degree now. Human brains work in really weird ways

I mean being a 5'2 Latino dude whose younger brother is a heroin addict probably didn't help but still, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

My (26f) BF (potentially fiance, 26m) together 4 years. He makes fun of me relentlessly for believing in horoscopes and going to psychics. He got drunk and publicly tried to embarrass me last night. Is this a deal breaker?

quote:

hello, I realize this can be a controversial topic and I'm not intending to inflame anyone's passions. However I will say that I know my experience with horoscopes, psychics and mysticism has made my life better and will continue to do so. I have dozens of examples of my life literally being saved because I read my horoscope on specific days.

So on to my real issue, I've been with Devin for four years. We get along really great most of the time. He talks about wanting to marry me and we even went shopping for enagment gifts recently. However as long as I've known him he doesn't agree with me on my belief in mysticism. Usually it's like light teasing like "you know your horoscope could be mine as well right?" But sometimes it's really mean, for example I was saved from an almost certain violent crime by listening to a psychic when I was 21--it's a story I use to prove Mystics can be real and have a beneficial impact on our lives but Devin is really cruel and says basically "she told you not to go down a dark alley in Park Slope. I tell you the same thing. $300 please." (This isn't actually what happened with the psychic).

Last night it got really bad because we were out with friends and Devin got really drunk and made fun of me the entire night. Really mean spirited stuff like pulling up horoscopes on his phone and showing the group how "ridiculous" they are. He did "readings" on a stranger and then pointed at me and said "she'd believe that bullshit." After that I said I was leaving and he was an rear end in a top hat and he said something like "did the crystals tell you that or are you that or are you smart enough to figure it out on your own?"

I left and haven't talked with him and he hasn't tried to get in touch with me.

Is this deal breaker territory?

tl;dr: BF makes fun of me for believing in psychics and healers. He was really mean last night.

I wonder why she didn't see it coming...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flashman posted:

I don't blame her for not wanting to waste her time on the off chance five years from now he realizes whoops I'm actually just gay. Life's too short

That's why people won't tell people they're bi. Because people like you go "how do I know you won't decide you want guys more and dump me?" or alternatively "you're just experimenting with the same sex, you're just young" or "You're just greedy, pick one!"

Hey, what if there's an "off chance" five years from now he just decides he doesn't like her and goes for another woman? Life's too short, so take no chances and never date anyone!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's why people won't tell people they're bi. Because people like you go "how do I know you won't decide you want guys more and dump me?" or alternatively "you're just experimenting with the same sex, you're just young" or "You're just greedy, pick one!"

Hey, what if there's an "off chance" five years from now he just decides he doesn't like her and goes for another woman? Life's too short, so take no chances and never date anyone!

Someone with sexual desires that I am not physically capable of satisfying would qualify as a red flag to me....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
There's a psychic and horoscope believing moron waiting for you out there somewhere who you can be happy with instead. It doesn't take Nostradamus to see there's no possibility of mutual respect in that relationship. Have to say I'm morbidly curious about these "dozens" of occasions that future predictions have saved her life. That's some high level delusional poo poo - that or she lives in a mystical realm where death lurks behind every other corner.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

flashman posted:

Someone with sexual desires that I am not physically capable of satisfying would qualify as a red flag to me....

news flash dingus: even straight men like all sorts of women. if a guy likes redheads AND skater chicks and dates a skater chicks, is he undateable because he also wouldn't mind if ellie kemper... kempered him? (hint: no)

part of being monogamous is trading variety for volume

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

flashman posted:

Have I got some bad news for you about every relationship you've ever had...

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Being gay is the same as liking red hair? Somewhat dismissive of people's sexual identities don't you think?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Jeza posted:

There's a psychic and horoscope believing moron waiting for you out there somewhere who you can be happy with instead. It doesn't take Nostradamus to see there's no possibility of mutual respect in that relationship. Have to say I'm morbidly curious about these "dozens" of occasions that future predictions have saved her life. That's some high level delusional poo poo - that or she lives in a mystical realm where death lurks behind every other corner.

Based on the post I'm gonna guess that she lives in NYC and a psychic took a wild leap and told her to be careful walking around the city at night and later she heard about somebody being murdered near where she was and because people who believe in this poo poo aren't great at understanding coincidence she reacted like THAT COULD HAVE BEEN MEEEEEEEEEE :byodame:. ~15 times.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

flashman posted:

Being gay is the same as liking red hair? Somewhat dismissive of people's sexual identities don't you think?

Then replace "red hair" with literally any physical attribute.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

flashman posted:

you do realize i mentioned being heteroflexible earlier right?

but yeah, keep on trucking. obviously the straight-ish guy who says "you always want other partners in a relationship whether you're gay or straight" is a homophobe

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My [21/M] Bi girlfriend [20/F] has a female best friend [20] she flirts with and not sure how to feel about it

quote:

I have been in a monogamous relationship with my bisexual girlfriend for the past six months. We've recently been discussing incorporating threesomes so that she can further explore her female-female side, and we are both feeling pretty confident about doing so. However, today, when we were talking about this, she brought up that she had been thinking about her best friend (female) who she sometimes thinks about in a physical manner. This is the first time she admitted this to me, but it was pretty obvious to me already. When I'm with them, and sense that it's a bit more than just a friendship. The thing is that they have been intimate in the past, and so her liking her friend in that manner seems more complicated and more serious than anything like a threesome. Her flirting with this friend makes me feel uncomfortable, and I'm not sure how to handle it. She hasn't done anything with her, and so I'm not really upset. I'm just uncomfortable with the situation, and I don't know what we could do to make it better. I don't have a solution, and me feeling uncomfortable is kind of driving her mad since she insists that I come first and that they haven't done anything together. Any advice?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

flashman posted:

Shockingly, bi people are capable of being monogamous and aren't constantly pining for whichever genitals they aren't getting at the moment.

Saying that being bi is a red flag because you're not physically capable of satisfying their desires for both dicks and vaginas is as much of a dumb(and inaccurate) stereotype as saying lesbians just haven't found the right man yet.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

girl pants posted:

Based on the post I'm gonna guess that she lives in NYC and a psychic took a wild leap and told her to be careful walking around the city at night and later she heard about somebody being murdered near where she was and because people who believe in this poo poo aren't great at understanding coincidence she reacted like THAT COULD HAVE BEEN MEEEEEEEEEE :byodame:. ~15 times.

Well, that or something blanket-y like ‘beware Tuesdays’ and come Wednesday morning she reads something about a mugging that happened the night before vaguely near her.

Or ‘blue is unlucky’ then they later find out, like, their cousin’s friend had a blue car and died in a car accident.

What’s the term for like, analyzing things in order to make them match up to something you believe? It’s not self fulfilling prophecy, but self something, I think?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Well, that or something blanket-y like ‘beware Tuesdays’ and come Wednesday morning she reads something about a mugging that happened the night before vaguely near her.

Or ‘blue is unlucky’ then they later find out, like, their cousin’s friend had a blue car and died in a car accident.

What’s the term for like, analyzing things in order to make them match up to something you believe? It’s not self fulfilling prophecy, but self something, I think?
Confirmation bias. Things that match up with your expectations confirm what you thought and you ignore all the ones that don't.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LadyPictureShow posted:

Cherry-picking? Projective construction?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

flashman posted:

Literally all "bi" means is you're into men and women. Plenty of bi people are monogamous, just like straight or gay folks. Do you think the average straight woman is lusting for other men's dicks too?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Literally all "bi" means is you're into men and women. Plenty of bi people are monogamous, just like straight or gay folks. Do you think the average straight woman is lusting for other men's dicks too?

It drives me crazy that some people seem to think that bisexuality makes you more likely to cheat. It doesn't, any more than being gay or straight does! Being a cheater makes you likely to cheat!

Also the horoscope woman should check out the Wikipedia article on "cold reading", it might rock her world a little bit.

Edit: it won't but I can dream

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm super uncomfortable with shaming people for not wanting to have sex with certain people. Like if someone says they don't want to date someone who's bi, that's their right. Saying that no one straight should ever date someone bi is where you cross the line. But bodily autonomy comes first for me. Is that weird? 100% not being facetious here or trying to fish a certain response or anything like that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously the only thing that can truly satisfy a bisexual is a threesome relationship with one of each sex. There is no other solution. That's what bisexual means in my tiny caveman brain, not that they just are fine with either sex in a relationship.

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'm super uncomfortable with shaming people for not wanting to have sex with certain people. Like if someone says they don't want to date someone who's bi, that's their right. Saying that no one straight should ever date someone bi is where you cross the line. But bodily autonomy comes first for me. Is that weird? 100% not being facetious here or trying to fish a certain response or anything like that.

It's literally the only reason she has. "You would be okay with having sex with dudes? I am not okay with that." There's no way to spin it that isn't homophobia and/or absurd jealousy.

I'm not saying to make her gently caress the guy, but I'm fine with calling her out on it. If she thinks she isn't homophobic, she should examine her reaction to that information. Is she wrong, or is she absurdly jealous of having to "compete" with a wider playing field?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Modus Pwnens posted:

You can gently caress or not gently caress whoever the hell you want but if your motives for doing so are rooted in racism, homophobia, or misogyny you should take a really long hard look at yourself.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
what an awesome debate to have, this is great

next why dont yall try to determine whether its worse to not date someone for being bi or being the wrong race, that would also be productive i 100% bet

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Modus Pwnens posted:

what kinda sets this apart is they've already been dating and having sex for 2 years. I mean there are no rules that bind you to a relationship, if you wanna break up for whatever reason you can, some reasons just kind of indicate you're a garbage person.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

next why dont yall try to determine whether its worse to not date someone for being bi or being the wrong race, that would also be productive i 100% bet

A closer equivalent would be her finding out that he is also attracted to people of another race and that being a dealbreaker for her.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Thanks for the replies. Those make a lot of sense.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Kicked out of nursing school. Dean not getting back to me about result of appeal.

quote:

I am located in Ohio. I attended a nursing school in which I failed out of the same clinical portion twice. The school has a policy in which you are kicked out for failing any two clinical sections. I had passed all portions of the course, but was failed over not meeting the requirements listed in a signed agreement between myself and the instructor (basically a ten minute bs paper needed to be submitted that I didn't submit but that wasn't mentioned in the signed document. The course manager/instructor is notoriously unreasonable and is rated in the bottom 3 percent of all instructors on ratemyprofessor.)

I believe I did meet these requirements so I submitted an appeal letter to the dean pleading my case. It has been about 4 months since submitting my appeal letter. I emailed the dean twice without getting a response. I then scheduled a meeting with the dean to try and move things along. She cancelled the meeting and had her secretary call me and tell me she was sending me a letter that contained the results of the appeal. This was 3-4 weeks ago. I called the secretary a week ago who said she gave the dean my number and would have her contact me. I have yet to hear back.

I am minority (male) in nursing and absolutely feel this has contributed to my failure. However, the argument I made within the appeal letter was about what happened rather than my relative minority status. Is this situation worth getting a lawyer over or can the school pretty much do what it wants? Is it time to move on to another school or do I have any legal recourse? If I were to seek out a lawyer for this situation, how would you recommend going about this in a cheap manner? What could I expect to spend?

Thanks for your consideration. Any help is appreciated.

quote:

[–]dorkofthepolisci 253 points 1 day ago

NAL

What proof do you have that you were failed because you're a dude? Did the instructor or dean make any sort of explicit comments that would lead you to believe they don't think men belong in nursing or anything like that?

Furthermore, you failed your clinicals twice. Was it the same prof or two different ones?

Because it would be exceedingly rare to have two different profs who both didn't think men belonged in nursing and were dumb enough to share it

[–]HellaciousD [S] -432 points 1 day ago

I have no real proof. No explicit comments about that. Just the way one of the instructors treated me in contrast to the rest of the students. A marked negative attitude towards me and always trying to knock me and my analytical approach to things down a peg. Furthermore, my questioning approach to things doesn't seem to be welcome by many instructors in the program. You're supposed to just accept that the teacher is always right even though they frequently spew unsupported bs. It seems that nursing program is designed to take advantage of the naturally agreeable nature inherent in many women and I come in questioning things and instructors hate it. This particular instructor was in a course that I passed, but I think that lovely attitudes towards types of people is often cultural.

Same instructor both times in terms of my failing. The first time I legitimately failed even though the test questions were frequently written poorly. With the instructor I failed with it would be difficult to pinpoint if it related to me being a guy or her just being unreasonable and illogical. But, as I said, I feel these things are often cultural, and there is a strand of the old guard of lady nurses that really seem to have it out for men. The woman who single-handedly decided my fate this time around oversees the course so I don't get to spend much time with her. I doubt this reply has much law related value.
As someone who works with nurses, :laffo: at the idea of any of them being 'naturally agreeable' and not questioning things.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A closer equivalent would be her finding out that he is also attracted to people of another race and that being a dealbreaker for her.

wasn't claiming equivalency just that one side is gonna say "bodily autonomy" and the other side will say "bigotry" and nothing will be decided

im down to watch tho

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i have never seen an attractive australian aboriginie

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I found out my girlfriend of several years had slept with a black man in her past and can't view her the same way, how can I break up with her for this without coming across as a bad person.

well you can't really because it does make you a bad person. You do what you want but people are gonna think less of you for it.

*burst into thread* are you saying he's obligated to stay in a relationship with her? Trying to browbeat this poor man into sex with someone he's not comfortable with is clearly trying to remove his bodily autonomy.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Haifisch posted:

Kicked out of nursing school. Dean not getting back to me about result of appeal.

As someone who works with nurses, :laffo: at the idea of any of them being 'naturally agreeable' and not questioning things.

I wasn't sure which way this one was going to break until he started going on about :biotruths:. I bet they booted him and started giving him the runaround because he was an obnoxious walking UM ACTUALLY.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Me [23 F] with my friend [24 M] 6 years, worried about his well-being after receiving strange email

quote:

First off, we met in 2008 in college and dated for two years, it was an intense relationship that put us through many different challenges. We broke up in 2010 and we both moved back to our original states.

We still talked since we got on very well and still had similar interests, we just didn't work together. I knew he was having trouble moving on and finding someone new, I gave him whatever encouragement I could and we still really appreciated each other and I consider him my best friend. We were on good terms for the next 3 years, finally settling some financial issues and really getting past our inner problems. I finally learn that he had found a new girlfriend and I was very happy for him.

Two months ago he expressed the fact that his girlfriend didn't like it when he talked to me, I told him to tell her that she shouldn't be worried. We're 2000mi apart, I texted him saying I had my chance with him, she should just be happy to be with a great loyal guy.

Then there was long pauses in our communications, I assumed he was just busy and I know I was busy. When I started to prompt more communications he kept shaking me off, telling me he's too busy and hating work. I understand, because he does have a lot on his plate. I would ask when he could talk and he would say he didn't know and didn't want to talk. In the 6 years I'd known him he had never talked to me this way.

I gave him a couple days and started texting him again about the interests we share and his girlfriend texts back saying to stop bothering him, that he' busy and going through a lot and to stop blowing up his phone (which I wasn't). I responded with a sorry, but I was honestly getting annoyed. I facebooked him that night asking what was wrong and whether I could help. He told me it wasn't my fault and to leave him alone and he deleted me from his friends.

It took me a couple weeks to get back on track after this estrangement from someone I considered my best friend. My mom told me maybe it was what he needed to do to truly move on and my coworkers told me maybe his new girlfriend is crazy. Either way I just hoped he was doing well and happy.

Until yesterday, he sent me an email saying he was sorry about everything that happened, he said not to respond or contact him in anyway because he's being watched. It was completely out of the blue and unlike him...this whole situation seemed unlike him. I'm worried and have no idea whether he's alright and what to do. It opened back up all the questions I had; does he really hate me? Is his girlfriend unreasonably jealous? Do I care about him more than I think? And who's watching him?

tl;dr: My supposedly estranged friend (who is also an ex-boyfriend) sends me a strange email saying he's sorry about the estrangement and being watched (possibly by his current girlfriend). It doesn't sound good, I want to help and know more, but I don't know what to do.

My "friend"

Bitch leave him alone

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Lots of people can't seem to take a hint

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

girl pants posted:

I wasn't sure which way this one was going to break until he started going on about :biotruths:. I bet they booted him and started giving him the runaround because he was an obnoxious walking UM ACTUALLY.
Oh yeah. I've been in classes with this guy. gently caress this guy.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

My (26f) BF (potentially fiance, 26m) together 4 years. He makes fun of me relentlessly for believing in horoscopes and going to psychics. He got drunk and publicly tried to embarrass me last night. Is this a deal breaker?

He should have :sever:d the day he found out you took horoscopes seriously.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Should I [M 25] tell my girlfriend [F 24] that I'm bi, have previously hooked up with guys and regularly watch gay porn?

quote:

I am VERY attracted to my girlfriend whom I've been with for close to a year now. Sexually speaking, she turns me on like no other person and I love having sex with her (I'm assuming she loves it too? haha)

But either way, I've been bi for as long as I remember. I'm not open about it because I never saw myself ending up with a guy. I guess that brings up the other point where I'd guess a better description of myself is that I'm hetero-romantic, meaning I'm attracted to both genders but only romantically attracted to women.

I've never cheated on my girlfriend and all the guys I've slept with were before me and her met. I do however watch gay porn a lot. She knows that I watch porn and we've watched porn together too, but she thinks I only watch straight and lesbian. I've kept the gay porn hidden from her simply because I'm afraid she will think I'm gay.

I'd love to be open to her about it but I'm just scared this could backfire. I mean, imagine if I one day told her that I've been with guys in the past and love to watch gay porn but then try to reassure her that I'm still attracted to her? I want to be able to tell her in a way that will make her believe that I am actually very attracted to her and feel so happy and fulfilled being with her and definitely see a future with her.

How do I break the news to her? Do I even tell her? What if she finds my gay porn, how do I explain to her I'm not in the closet? I mean it's not like it's demons that I'm struggling with because I'm still very much attracted to women and especially my girlfriend.

I don't have any urge to be with other men, although if my girlfriend was open to a threesome with another guy, I definitely think I'd go along with that in a heartbeat. But I'm completely fine with just being me and her.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

🔮 It's you, dumb redditor. You're the dealbreaker. 🔮

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Mother (58) called social services on me (30F)

quote:

I cannot give a lot of information about this but here are the main points.

My child has special needs and has been seen by a fair few medical professionals. They have been put on medication (prescribed by a paediatrician) to help them with their learning. My mother absolutely hates that I'm "drugging" my child. I'm not particularly happy about it but it has extremely improved their learning. We have been working with social services since last year to help my child get Disability living allowance and to help them with trouble at school.

Recently, my social worker called to let me know of a claim made against me. She read the transcript to me but could not give any information about the caller. It was very obviously made by my mother. Luckily my social worker has thrown the claim out because she has met us and knows that it is all bullshit. After talking to my father (they are divorced) he confirmed that it could only have been her. I asked my mother to stay away from us. She is denying it.

Now some back story: My mother was extremely abusive to me and my siblings growing up due to Ill mental health. Every time I let her see my child she would lie about things, for example cutting their hair and denying it. Her partner would say things like "I love you more than I like myself" to my child who would then copy the phrase back. When asked about the phrase they would lie and say they didn't teach them that.

There is honestly no one else who could have said those things to social services. If it wasn't her then someone did it on her behalf. It is not healthy for her to be around my child. She is now threatening the legal route to see my child. Can she actually do this?

TL;DR mum called social services saying I'm crazy and still expects to see her grandchild

EDIT: just to add, I will not be letting her anywhere near my child after this incident.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Haifisch posted:

I love you more than I like myself

What the gently caress?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

Mother (58) called social services on me (30F)

When a crazy mother threatens legal action instead of talking to see their grandchild then there's something seriously wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I've always thought that psychics with storefronts are money laundering operations.