Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, its most definitely my boot drive. I didn't have any issues waiting for a few seconds every now and the before, it was the perfect time to shitpost from phone.

If anything it's worse now since I can no longer finish a smoke while the game loads.

ngl my ridic load times every few games is really nice for finishin a cig or a joint.

Textures not loading in Miramar is p crap, though. It's gotten better since the latest update at least. The building textures load much faster, but the poo poo indoors still takes a while. It's better than before tho when I couldn't enter half the buildings and the ones I did enter I ran the risk of getting stuck inside a wall or staircase if my timing was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

esperterra posted:

ngl my ridic load times every few games is really nice for finishin a cig or a joint.

Textures not loading in Miramar is p crap, though. It's gotten better since the latest update at least. The building textures load much faster, but the poo poo indoors still takes a while. It's better than before tho when I couldn't enter half the buildings and the ones I did enter I ran the risk of getting stuck inside a wall or staircase if my timing was bad.

I would sometimes have to wait like 10 seconds after landing for "lights" to turn on indoors but otherwise it was a smooth sailing on Miramar.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the lights are out and some furniture won't load right away. Not as long as pre patch tho. But the weird part is most items would load, but not all of them. So I might end up with a handful of ammo before the gun for it is actually visible/lootable.

Erangel has never given me issue. Very rarely I'd get the 'lights off' thing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Weird item loading patterns are still a thing on 960 EVO.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Anyone else get very delayed shotgun shell drop noises from your squad mates? It's paranoia inducing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Weird item loading patterns are still a thing on 960 EVO.

Yeah it's a network issue - you can land on the roof of the epcot building on Stalber, circle around the whole thing picking up armor and a backpack, and whoops look at that an AR appeared out of nowhere.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Perestroika posted:

If shoot a guy in the face, he drops dead.

I played lots of siege when it first came out and this used to not be true. Hit registration (lovely netcode?) Was all hosed up. Glad to hear they fixed things though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Yeah it's a network issue - you can land on the roof of the epcot building on Stalber, circle around the whole thing picking up armor and a backpack, and whoops look at that an AR appeared out of nowhere.

Fan-loving-tastic, but that explains why this poo poo happens when you are one of 80 people dropping into Pecado.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Fan-loving-tastic, but that explains why this poo poo happens when you are one of 80 people dropping into Pecado.

Yeah. It's kind of a relief tbh knowing that it's not just my lovely HDD loving me over, but the game itself being super weird in how it loads poo poo in.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
What first person shooter with 100 people on one map with thousands of spawned items and vehicles doesn’t run like poo poo? I’ve had a moment of clarity and realized why a big developer hasn’t achieved this yet. It’s loving hard because most computers can’t support it. Get a ssd and 16g of ram and shut up.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Played my first dozen games since release over the weekend i'm already ranked like top 5-10% duo fpp

A shameful playerbase

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bohemian Nights posted:

Played my first dozen games since release over the weekend i'm already ranked like top 5-10% duo fpp

A shameful playerbase

As it turns out, most people who play games, are bad at them. See also achievement percentages on steam etc

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah I figured that out when I landed on a roof with someone else, looked directly at where they landed and there wasn't a gun, run around and pick up a pistol and yet miraculously they're loading a goddamn shotgun which doesn't appear when I look at the recording.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
On the flip side to that we've been struggling in the top 1.5% of squad FPP, it seems like that's the mode all the counterstrike veterans have joined because the flicks are insane out there, it's great.

Unfortunately the netcode isn't up to snuff though so a lot of moments that should be really intense and close battles end up being stomps because of lag or desync. I shot some poor guy yesterday who would have been clearly behind cover on his screen my last shot still registered. Honestly 100% of the development time in PUBG (that's not spent fixing bugs) needs to be spent improving the tick rate.

Also, #regionlock but they haven't done it yet and the game is released so whatever

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

abigserve posted:

On the flip side to that we've been struggling in the top 1.5% of squad FPP, it seems like that's the mode all the counterstrike veterans have joined because the flicks are insane out there, it's great.

Having a solid CS background helps a lot to give you that confidence to go into every fight assuming you'll win it

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

abigserve posted:

Unfortunately the netcode isn't up to snuff though so a lot of moments that should be really intense and close battles end up being stomps because of lag or desync. I shot some poor guy yesterday who would have been clearly behind cover on his screen my last shot still registered.

Oh man the best is when they're clearly behind cover on your screen, yet they go down. Like when you're spraying some dude, they get behind the corner and you're like "one's behind the house, they're lit --- oh wait no just got the knock a second and a half late nevermind."

e: region lock doesn't fix this problem, they just need to make having a high ping be a drawback instead of an advantage.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Magres posted:

I frequently load into game, have noises and controls, and a black loading screen for visuals. I can even tell when the plane is flying and have tried to box with a friend of mine, while blind, based on our footstep noises.

Also within the past few times I've gone to Hacienda, it didn't fully load until I was inside and suddenly a pool table loaded into me and I was clipping inside of it and stuck.

The game is coming along but it still needs a lot of work.

The black screen happens to me for the first match of every session. Try watching a replay before starting to play, the black screen issue should pop up there and not for your actual games afterwards.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
Desperado crates:

Something's hosed with the Steam market, no deals for these crates are going through, so the asking price is lower than buy offers. Weird.

aborn fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 15, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Just got nothing but Survivor crates :rubshands:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
According to that guy who does the netcode analysis tests, the pubg tick rate is actually getting progressively worse. :bluehole:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Oh man the best is when they're clearly behind cover on your screen, yet they go down. Like when you're spraying some dude, they get behind the corner and you're like "one's behind the house, they're lit --- oh wait no just got the knock a second and a half late nevermind."

e: region lock doesn't fix this problem, they just need to make having a high ping be a drawback instead of an advantage.

Imo having everyone be locked to <100ms ping would make a pretty big difference and it seems like that'd be a lot easier (even if temporary) fix.

My (very cynical) opinion is that the servers are so overstressed it's possible they can't even collect latency information reliably, that is to say even if the client is only 10ms away and their connection is fine, the game engine is struggling so much it may be reporting variable data as packets are lost or delayed at the application layer

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Beamed posted:

This game is too buggy for paying $50 on top of the game's price to be really reasonable.

You arent buying an ssd just for this game though, they are really nice. Its like going from the 25 year old pos corolla you learned to drive in to an actual car.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 15, 2018

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

abigserve posted:

Imo having everyone be locked to <100ms ping would make a pretty big difference and it seems like that'd be a lot easier (even if temporary) fix.

My (very cynical) opinion is that the servers are so overstressed it's possible they can't even collect latency information reliably, that is to say even if the client is only 10ms away and their connection is fine, the game engine is struggling so much it may be reporting variable data as packets are lost or delayed at the application layer

This, I think in general Bluehole is suffering from the “it’s a huge hit, gently caress yeah... oh gently caress” syndrome. They expected it to be a little arma mod spinoff played by their friends plus a few thousand people. There’s no way in hell they gave a thought to how they could scale up this game to 3+ million concurrent players. And throwing money at it doesn’t really work, not for them anyway. Google/Apple etc. can do that because they have the whole infrastructure (and more or less infinite money), but this is some dudes plus a little dev office in Korea. Money doesn’t solve that poo poo overnight, even if you somehow make perfect decisions every day when you have no idea what you’re doing. The expectations of indie devs have gotten way the gently caress out of wack with the popularity of their games due to digital platforms allowing for insane unexpected hits like PUBG.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

The real shame is that PUBG would work perfectly well with 50 players on a map half the size. It may even work a lot better.

With the desert map out, if you are trying to avoid the first 5 minutes of lag/bullshit, chances are you aren't even going to see anyone until 50~ left anyway.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

abigserve posted:

With the desert map out, if you are trying to avoid the first 5 minutes of lag/bullshit, chances are you aren't even going to see anyone until 50~ left anyway.

In the vast majority of my Miramar matches there's 40 or less players left alive when the first circle closes. Generally I get to clear out whoever drops with me, maybe someone who wanted to ambush me as I left my drop spot, and then I get to just drive around hoping for people to shoot at me, or find a nice building in the center of the circle and play some 3DS games while the circle gets much smaller or until I hear shooting or a vehicle.

the map would be so good if it was a 1/4 the size with the same amount of poo poo on it, just get rid of all the garbage open space and make it some bananas cityscape.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

aborn posted:

Desperado crates:

Something's hosed with the Steam market, no deals for these crates are going through, so the asking price is lower than buy offers. Weird.

This caused me to say gently caress it and open one instead of trying to sell it and I got my first decent item from a crate: a $23 pair of pants.

e: Idiots are constantly undercutting themselves because they don't realize that the reason crates aren't being sold is because no one can buy them right now. Way to tank the market turds.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 15, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Beamed posted:

I have an SSD and all that, but defending PUBG being a broken mess because "dumb console gamers!!" is really dumb.

Why would anyone not have an SSD for a computer in TYOOL2018?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i dont have an ssd and my load times are like 15 seconds so if you have long load times ssd or no something else is wrong with your poo poo

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i dont have an ssd and my load times are like 15 seconds so if you have long load times ssd or no something else is wrong with your poo poo

This. My pc boots in 30 secs and pubg loads fast for me. The only issue I have is the first game I play sometimes taking slightly longer otherwise yea it's around 20 secs to get in a lobby.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Even if you do have an SSD, most of them are still very limited in sizes and you generally have to carefully curate what stuff you decide to keep on it.

"What disgusting moron doesn't have an SSD in 2018???" is meaningless when people might very reasonably have an SSD but not be able to fit every single game on it. Making a game that doesn't work properly on a platter drive is still not really excusable, and even if they had made a decision to do exactly that, it's not like the game makes any comment about it whatsoever in its systems requirements.

FWIW I think the game has some kind of actual caching bug that is exacerbated by not being on an SSD, and has nothing to do with anything "wrong" with the computer.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 15, 2018

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Weird speedhacks are finally back since pre 1.0 . Also weird one shooting people with shotguns from 300 yards. Yippee.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Scoss posted:

FWIW I think the game has some kind of actual caching bug that is exacerbated by not being on an SSD, and has nothing to do with anything "wrong" with the computer.

You can't cache on a cold start. The game is loading, what, a few gigs of assets into memory at that time. A platter disk can probably only sustain around 80meg/sec and a decent SSD can sustain over 500 meg/sec. It's pretty clear which one is going to load the assets first.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Scoss posted:

Even if you do have an SSD, most of them are still very limited in sizes and you generally have to carefully curate what stuff you decide to keep on it.

"What disgusting moron doesn't have an SSD in 2018???" is meaningless when people might very reasonably have an SSD but not be able to fit every single game on it. Making a game that doesn't work properly on a platter drive is still not really excusable, and even if they had made a decision to do exactly that, it's not like the game makes any comment about it whatsoever in its systems requirements.

If we were talking about Shadow of War, GTA5, or something of the like, you'd probably have more sympathetic gamers, as those are 50-100GB. This game is 8-10GB.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Regrettable posted:

This caused me to say gently caress it and open one instead of trying to sell it and I got my first decent item from a crate: a $23 pair of pants.

e: Idiots are constantly undercutting themselves because they don't realize that the reason crates aren't being sold is because no one can buy them right now. Way to tank the market turds.

Look at the sale history of the other crates. It's always better to sell them around Fri/Sat.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DrNutt posted:

As it turns out, most people who play games, are bad at them. See also achievement percentages on steam etc

Achievement percentages are not representative since some single-digit percent of Steam users hacks all of them in every game they have. SAM allows you to do that in 1 click and with no repercussions.

cosmicjim posted:

What first person shooter with 100 people on one map with thousands of spawned items and vehicles doesn’t run like poo poo? I’ve had a moment of clarity and realized why a big developer hasn’t achieved this yet. It’s loving hard because most computers can’t support it. Get a ssd and 16g of ram and shut up.

Planetside 2 ran slightly worse than PUBG. First Frostbite battle royal will chew through PUBG on any and all technicalities, the engine is tailored for large scale FPS games and has best-in-class networking code, with variable tickrate map areas and whatnot.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Planetside 2 ran slightly worse than PUBG. First Frostbite battle royal will chew through PUBG on any and all technicalities, the engine is tailored for large scale FPS games and has best-in-class networking code, with variable tickrate map areas and whatnot.

If EA were smart they would just get DICE LA to make a BR. They were the ones responsible for turning BF4's lovely netcode into some of the best I've ever seen. This was after DICE Sweden kept telling everyone it was impossible to have a tickrate higher than 10. Let Sweden make the next BF and/or lovely Star Wars game and give LA the BR because their talent is being wasted atm.

Sparticle fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 15, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sparticle posted:

If EA were smart that would just get DICE LA to make a BR. They were the ones responsible for turning BF4's lovely netcode into some of the best I've ever seen. This was after DICE Sweden kept telling everyone it was impossible to have a tickrate higher than 10. Let Sweden make the next BF and/or lovely Star Wars game and give LA the BR because their talent is being wasted atm.

Yeah DICE LA would own the crap out this affair, their BF4 and BF1 efforts are rather remarkable.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean every company made a gently caress ton of MMOs then they made a fuckton of MOBAs might as well see what company can produce a good battle royale. I mean, PUBG is a terrible, buggy, hacker-infested pile of janky poop but I play the absolute gently caress out of it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah DICE LA would own the crap out this affair, their BF4 and BF1 efforts are rather remarkable.

It took them forever and a day to get BF4 to a playable state though and the amount of hilarity in Frostbite from the smaller EA studios (lol mass effect) but yeah EA is probably overtiming one of their studios to design a BR game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

It took them forever and a day to get BF4 to a playable state though and the amount of hilarity in Frostbite from the smaller EA studios (lol mass effect) but yeah EA is probably overtiming one of their studios to design a BR game.

They switched studios for BF4 post release, and then threw out entire networking codebase they had and wrote it again from 0. That was an unreasonable support step to begin with, what is there to wonder about it taking a lot of time.