Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
to serve man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

drilldo squirt posted:

Tell me about good books.

They are like normal books, but better?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

cda

by Hand Knit

drilldo squirt posted:

They engage the intellect while nurturing the soul. They allow you to intimately communicate across time and space with the mind of another human while at the same time giving you unlimited latitude to pursue your own thoughts. Reading them, you come closer to all that is good, noble, reasonable, and sane in humanity, and all that is sustaining in the world, and yet they tell the truth and do not obfuscate the pain, struggle, and madness of existence. Sometimes they have rocket ships in them.

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
I like the little engine that could

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm about to get probed, but I could make a recommendation. You could read one of my favourite romances, Sir Orfeo. It is still a little bit unnerving even 700 years later.

What sorts of stuff do you like to read?

I Dunno

Reading books is good. I've realized that nonstop reading inane Internet poo poo has been driving me insane. So, I've been replacing a lot of that browsing time with reading instead. Much more rewarding. I've finished two books so far and am currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I CANNOT WAIT for this dude to get his revenge!!!!!

punchymcpunch

does he eat a lotta sammiches?

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

punchymcpunch posted:

does he eat a lotta sammiches?

I wish I could be the Earl of French Dip

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Koishi Komeiji

I Dunno posted:

Reading books is good. I've realized that nonstop reading inane Internet poo poo has been driving me insane. So, I've been replacing a lot of that browsing time with reading instead. Much more rewarding. I've finished two books so far and am currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I CANNOT WAIT for this dude to get his revenge!!!!!

Meh, The Count of Monte Cristo is ok as a book I guess, but the Anime was sooo much better. If only the great authors like Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Twain could have made Animes and video games instead of old musty books. I mean, just imagine the dlc Tom Sawyer could have had or The Great Gatsby with loot crates. Some things are just too beautiful for this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPWibk4KbyQ&t=106s

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Henlo byob I'm posting from the floor of my living room while watching people play Nier: Automata and snuggling with the boy and the very :catdrugs: Jekyll. Good job me.

It snowed and it's pretty as gently caress.

Also some neat stuff happened, there's cold handprints all over my house and when I took some IR photos with the boy's phone you can see em. And the giant blotch signature. I don't even believe in this stuff but there's pretty good entertainment value for my kid, so.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Like seriously this is fun:

sb hermit

hamjobs posted:

Like seriously this is fun:

:ms:

sb hermit

cda posted:

They engage the intellect while nurturing the soul. They allow you to intimately communicate across time and space with the mind of another human while at the same time giving you unlimited latitude to pursue your own thoughts. Reading them, you come closer to all that is good, noble, reasonable, and sane in humanity, and all that is sustaining in the world, and yet they tell the truth and do not obfuscate the pain, struggle, and madness of existence. Sometimes they have rocket ships in them.

I started thinking about Dune when I was reading this post and now I can’t stop thinking about it

I know they have space travel, but now I’m trying to remember if they actually had rockets

punchymcpunch

el dorito posted:

I started thinking about Dune when I was reading this post and now I can’t stop thinking about it

I know they have space travel, but now I’m trying to remember if they actually had rockets

they had these things:

which could fly up from the planet into space and then park on the spacing guild ferry

i dunno if they fit the definition of rocket tho cos a) theyre wider than they are long and b) they dont go fwoooooosh theyre pretty quiet

Koishi Komeiji

hamjobs posted:

Henlo byob I'm posting from the floor of my living room while watching people play Nier: Automata

Pro tip: Turn off your os chip as soon as possible to make room for better chips :grin:

cda

by Hand Knit

I Dunno posted:

Count of Monte Cristo is a very entertaining book. You're going to have wait quite a while though.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

el dorito posted:

learn an instrument

alternatively

learn a new language

dont learn too many new languages though or words will lose all meaning and your voice will vanish into the aether :ohdear:

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Meh, The Count of Monte Cristo is ok as a book I guess, but the Anime was sooo much better. If only the great authors like Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Twain could have made Animes and video games instead of old musty books. I mean, just imagine the dlc Tom Sawyer could have had or The Great Gatsby with loot crates. Some things are just too beautiful for this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPWibk4KbyQ&t=106s

gatsbys prob fitzgeralds worst book, still gr8 tho

Koishi Komeiji

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

gatsbys prob fitzgeralds worst book, still gr8 tho

Gatsby is one of those rare works where the video game adaption was better than the source material.

City of Glompton

good morning byob just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate each and every one of you (even you lurkers I see you up there hi) :glomp:

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

City of Glompton posted:

good morning byob just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate each and every one of you (even you lurkers I see you up there hi) :glomp:

U are the sweetest dang poster

Manifisto

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyfCMrqitWI

many birb

byob historian

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Gatsby is one of those rare works where the video game adaption was better than the source material.

the last tycoon was never finished and its still the best prose an american ever wrote imo

fitzgerald is one of my guilty pleasures lol :3:

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

aliens. :stare:

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

BoldFrankensteinMir

City of Glompton posted:

Thank you, City of Glompton! You are hearby the official capitol of the land of Byob. Now somebody draw up a map...

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
In other news im now hoping for the z car instead of the hustler tonight and yes I may have been watching bosozuko videos on youtube and yes I hope there's arch covers and shakotan exhaust and an f-boy oil cooler stuck on the bumper

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
I can't get off okc ugh why did I do this to myself :geno:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Only you can answer this.

----------------

Poniard

what's happenin yall

i'm gonna try to build an enigma machine but without the same-letter-cant-be-encrypted-as-itself problem

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

byob historian

i have no clue i tried to do it last year but just decided it felt less demeaning to slowly die of loneliness :shrug:

online dating is not for me it would seem

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i have no clue i tried to do it last year but just decided it felt less demeaning to slowly die of loneliness :shrug:

online dating is not for me it would seem
this was me a few years ago. now I am trying it again. maybe things will be different this time

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit

drilldo squirt posted:

Only you can answer this.

I got dinged with "like"s and now I'm addicted to the dopamine rush

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

I got dinged with "like"s and now I'm addicted to the dopamine rush

That's a real thing social media does

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
The possibility of sex really revs up the ol lizard brain

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
My fetish is awkward dinners with strangers, so OKCupid is really my bag baby.

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
Okc asking the tough questions, like "how rough do you like sex" and "which is bigger, the sun or the moon"

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Okc asking the tough questions, like "how rough do you like sex" and "which is bigger, the sun or the moon"

tbf I don’t have an interest in even interacting with someone who thinks that the moon is bigger than the sun lol

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

lol that can't be real

They really ask yhat?

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Hey everybody come to my wedding with this conservative christian flat earther

No, they're cool, they like horror movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

The possibility of sex really revs up the ol lizard brain
Be careful. There was a poster in byob who was gay & newly out, and he posted about how crazy happy and excited he was to start going on dates and going to gay bars, and then pretty soon after that, he came back to byob and said that he was raped. Sadly, I've heard stories like this before.

Go out on dates and have fun, but keep in mind that if your brain is chemically imbalanced by the "rush" as you put it of the possibility of sexual activity, especially just after coming out of the closet, then you may not be thinking straight enough to protect yourself. No need to rush things; sex will still be there when you are thinking more normally. This is a problem for people of all genders & orientations but it does seem to be worse for gay men based on anecdotes I've heard

I'm certainly not saying that this guy's victimization was his own fault but it's still a story that I think is worth mentioning

ty vanisher, ty khanstant