Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Anybody familiar with this? It seems really awful, this is the first I’ve seen about it.

https://twitter.com/LeavittAlone/status/946461135318016001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

Anybody familiar with this? It seems really awful, this is the first I’ve seen about it.

Is there a reason this isn't something either the State Assembly or State Senate can do something about?

I would ask on twitter, but I deleted my account so I'm not tempted to cyberbully nazi apologists.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’m guessing it’s executive prerogative. I’m sure if an assemblyperson wanted to they could put some unwanted pressure on DOCCS but this is really not an area of expertise for me at all.

And good re~ deleting twitter. That site is poison. Poison I can’t stop ingesting

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Why are politicians such trash? (it's bribes, but ugh)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

drive a truck into twitter's servers, tia

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If dems are running on fiscal responsibility how is that any better ?

It's not fiscal responsibility, it's that people who thought themselves the upper crust are just another part of the population having their wealth transferred upwards. If you're a democratic canidate in the red parts of NY, you can literally say "those fuckers raised your taxes for real" and it'll be true, to not bring that up is insanity.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

republicans for decades have run on "the other guy will raise your taxes" regardless of whether it was true or not. now that these very people have actually done that, it would be idiotic (but predictable) to not use that against guys like collins

running on fiscal responsibility would be using this as a way of saying "this is going to raise the deficit" like the average person gives a hot poo poo

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Aaayyy im postin hea

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

hey all

looking to get a few more signatures to petition NY Judge DiFiore to block ICE from arresting immigrants at courthouses:

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/demand-an-end-to-ices-courthouse-arrests-in-new-york

thanks in advance~

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ah yes the online petition, that has a long and fruitful history of doing things and not frequently ignored by people at all

pardon my cynicism, but there's nothing saying this judge has to give a poo poo

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

get that OUT of my face posted:

ah yes the online petition, that has a long and fruitful history of doing things and not frequently ignored by people at all

pardon my cynicism, but there's nothing saying this judge has to give a poo poo

they don't, at all, but signing is something that takes little of your time and at least has the possibility of highlighting to the judge that NYC's sanctuary city status is being undermined by policies within their purview

that said, this is hardly the only thing that's being done - there's also a march being planned for Jan 15 where the ICE out of the courts campaign will be featured; will share details on that as they firm up

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crusader posted:

there's also a march being planned for Jan 15 where the ICE out of the courts campaign will be featured; will share details on that as they firm up
i'm all for showing up at their doorstep and shouting, plus i don't have work on mondays

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Cuomo didn't call special elections again.

I fuckin' hate that guy so muych

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i want somebody to lead him to an open flame so that his hair combusts

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I've posted this in two other threads, but this New York Times Magazine piece is excellent: The Case for the Subway.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cuomo started out the State of the State by positioning himself as a great ally for women. he must think that we're pretty stupid considering how he vetoed a bill strengthening minority and women owned businesses just yesterday and called a woman calling him out for lack of progress on gender issues as "a disgrace to women"

and ffs say trump's name if you're going to attack republican policies. he shares the same wafer-thin skin and vengeful attitude, so he admires trump in some ways, but ya know, maybe he shouldn't

the good stuff in the address will probably be bargained away or weakened in budget negotiations, so i'll only laud them if they actually make it out intact

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cuomo is also loving home care workers as detailed in this post:

https://aintiawomancampaign.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/cuomo-stop-government-sponsored-sweatshops/

In summary, home care attendants (not live-in) funded through Medicaid are being coerced into working 24 hour shifts, but only getting paid for 12 hours. There have been court rulings in favor of the home care attendants, but Cuomo and the administration have fought back and rewrote regulation such that the victory has been short-lived.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

on the city level, Corey Johnson is the new council speaker. that was probably my second least favorite outcome after Cornegy, he came off like a real prick at times

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid posted:

This got picked up by the relatively mainstream ThinkProgress — link here.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Grondoth posted:

It's not fiscal responsibility, it's that people who thought themselves the upper crust are just another part of the population having their wealth transferred upwards. If you're a democratic canidate in the red parts of NY, you can literally say "those fuckers raised your taxes for real" and it'll be true, to not bring that up is insanity.

what if the donors don't want you to say that though

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's looking like Jumaane Williams is moving closer to declaring some role in the gubernatorial primary this year. he wrote a response to the State of the State that was mostly a callout to Cuomo's constant lying and ended with "this was a good speech but i'll believe it when i see it." he also made his own political committee last month called "Jumaane 4 New York"

i'm gonna predict that he and Terry Gipson (a one-term state senator from the Hudson Valley who fell victim to Cuomo's favoritism towards senate republicans) will run on a ticket, but i'm not sure which one will be on the top, though i'd prefer Jumaane up there. Steph Miner's the odd one out because she's probably gonna run for congress instead

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CTLizB/status/950897275357843463

https://twitter.com/KatBrezler/status/950891903813373952

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Upstate NY Politics report:

Nothing is loving happening, it's Upstate NY. Oh, the town of Brighton has already used up its year's budget for road salt, but that's about all the big news I can report.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

nyc pension funds are being divested form fossil fuels, and the city is suing corporations for causing climate change. i guess that's some good news in our perpetual dumpster fire times

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

flanagan not only refuses to back congestion pricing or a payroll tax, but his big fiscal idea is a round of tax cuts. considering that republicans here and elsewhere are running like chickens with their heads cut off, now's as good a time as any to get this dipshit out of power

oh btw Pam Harris got indicted for corruption so now there's a good chance of there being 12 vacant seats in the legislature, representing over a million people altogether, with no vote scheduled

Korthal posted:

Nothing is loving happening, it's Upstate NY. Oh, the town of Brighton has already used up its year's budget for road salt, but that's about all the big news I can report.
i was wondering if we were missing anything from the NYC and Albany-centric news itt but i guess not. thanks for the update

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jeff Klein is a sex creep:

https://twitter.com/NYNOW_PBS/status/951222881438044160

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

STRAP IN!!!!!

Love the victim blaming right out the gate from Scavino.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when i read that he forcibly kissed someone, i thought of Bugs Bunny

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A new contender to try and overthrow Faso:

https://twitter.com/DelgadoforNY19/status/946071229651410946

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i think that dems will take the house in 2018 but the contribution from east coast blue states will be minimal. in NY, at least, there's a clown car's worth of candidates in most GOP-held districts, which will ensure that the crap will rise to the top of the primaries and lose to the likes of Faso, Donovan, and Collins in the general

i still haven't heard about any candidates who have declared against King and Zedlin, though. they voted against the tax hike but that doesn't mean they're not vulnerable by party association. Zedlin in particular is in trouble because Paul Ryan pulled his re-election funding

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Korthal posted:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/14/i-dont-know-is-frequent-answer-as-sheriff-testifies-in-inmate-death-lawsuit/

quote:

Hudson asked whether mental health topics are covered during certain training programs.

"Yes," Howard said.

"What is your understanding of the mental health topics that are covered during their training?"

"I don't know," the sheriff responded.

"What's the basis for your understanding that mental health topics are covered?"

"I don't know."

"Have you ever seen any materials regarding the training of sheriff's office personnel on mental health topics?" Hudson asked the sheriff.

"Yes," Howard said.

"And what materials have you seen, sir?"

"I don't know."

Just won election

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

update on the 2018 primaries: jumaane williams will probably run for lieutenant governor. presumably terry gipson will run for governor

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

please save us

teachout was loving cool

also i should make it clear that NY19 has a disproportionate number of new age hippie types (Woodstock, New Paltz etc)

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I used to live in 19, a lot of the hippies there are honestly kinda lovely anti-science white people and they're surrounded by a sea of libertarians

hard to say how that'll go down

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Attorney General States' Rights has done absolutely nothing to dampen the legalize and tax marijuana movement, as the presumptive GOP candidate for governor said he supports it in NY

majormonotone posted:

I used to live in 19, a lot of the hippies there are honestly kinda lovely anti-science white people and they're surrounded by a sea of libertarians

hard to say how that'll go down
like i mentioned, there are way too many candidates running in the democratic primary there to ensure that somebody decent will get out of it, so the answer will probably be "not very well"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Cuomo to Albany: drop dead

https://twitter.com/SPECNewsAlbany/status/953835438980165632

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

same to NYC. he's forcing us to pay half of the funding to the MTA even though we'll still get no say in how it's spent, so he'll just waste it on Not Subway Repairs. this whole budget crisis is like a political wet dream for Cuomo: he gets to talk about sticking it to Trump while being the same fiscal rightist that he's always been, only this time he's gonna be handwringing about "tough choices" leading to poo poo like this instead of being the wonky on-time, no-frills budget man that he's been up to this point. if it paid off for him to be like Scott Walker, he'd be playing from that playbook

how this sleazy dipshit has a 60+% approval rating is beyond me. by this time in his second term christie's approval ratings were in the toilet and were only buoyed by Sandy in the first place, but i guess New York is a stupider state. i wanna move to a state with an enlightened electorate. at least their wall street stooge governor isn't a compromiser for compromise's sake

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:36 on Jan 19, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
the people's republic of Vermont is right there and is a kickass state. I miss Burlington a lot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

the people's republic of Vermont is right there and is a kickass state. I miss Burlington a lot.
i was implying that new jersey's electorate is way smarter than us and i'd like to move there (it's also my native state), but vermont definitely owns more politically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

same to NYC. he's forcing us to pay half of the funding to the MTA even though we'll still get no say in how it's spent, so he'll just waste it on Not Subway Repairs. this whole budget crisis is like a political wet dream for Cuomo: he gets to talk about sticking it to Trump while being the same fiscal rightist that he's always been, only this time he's gonna be handwringing about "tough choices" leading to poo poo like this instead of being the wonky on-time, no-frills budget man that he's been up to this point. if it paid off for him to be like Scott Walker, he'd be playing from that playbook

how this sleazy dipshit has a 60+% approval rating is beyond me. by this time in his second term christie's approval ratings were in the toilet and were only buoyed by Sandy in the first place, but i guess New York is a stupider state. i wanna move to a state with an enlightened electorate. at least their wall street stooge governor isn't a compromiser for compromise's sake

I can finally vote in the Dem primary this time, and I'm voting against him, for what it's worth.

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't know, they're also extremely granola. I've got a friend over the border, and I've had some... interesting arguments with some of their friends.