Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I can't wait for Verity to go away because I've been capped on it for so many months with nothing to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Brainamp posted:

Probability is a bitch.

On the other hand I have gotten to the second chamber in Lost Canals all but once. I guess they never explicitly say that which door is correct is fixed before you choose it, but it sure doesn't feel like a 50% chance.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

nuru posted:

I can't wait for Verity to go away because I've been capped on it for so many months with nothing to buy.

The crafting mats don't sell for a tremendous amount but they still sell.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

On the other hand I have gotten to the second chamber in Lost Canals all but once. I guess they never explicitly say that which door is correct is fixed before you choose it, but it sure doesn't feel like a 50% chance.

Edit: I'm dumb, there are not 3 doors

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Aquapolis and the like are not fixed. The correct door is chosen by the server the moment you click on one of them. The game dynamically arranges geometry depending of the outcome of the roll. It doesn't even spawn loot or monsters in the next room until you've opened the right door.

It's 100% a 50% chance :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

jalapeno_dude posted:

last night during maps out of 13 gazelleskin maps, we got booted out twice on floor 1

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there a site that hosts appearances?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

After all this time, I finally get a pedigree 8 chocobo to rank 40 so I can retire it and get a pedigre 9.

Only to realize this build is completely and utterly garbage at doing challenge #8, which means I can't do challenge #10, which means I can't buy the racing ability I want. gently caress.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there a site that hosts appearances?

Glamours and stuff?

If so, yep.
https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/

e: i think there used to be a different (better?) one, but it died.
e:e: is there no SB stuff the gear set pages? welp

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 15, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

a kitten posted:

Glamours and stuff?

If so, yep.
https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/

e: i think there used to be a different (better?) one, but it died.
e:e: is there no SB stuff there? welp

There's also the japanese one. https://mirapri.com/

And yeah the glamour section gets updated because people can just submit stuff, but the gear set section is woefully out of date and incomplete for some reason.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just did my first trial fighting Ifrit. Wow that was pretty dark.

I kind of dislike Thancred for suspecting the poor sister and being late (is this going to be a thing with you and the other Scions) but dude seems to have some issues.

EDIT: I meant character appearances like face/body customizations

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 15, 2018

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

if you mean NPC appearances, you can find their data on https://www.garlandtools.org/db/. If you want player options, then you can just go into the character creator and take a look at what is available.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

vOv posted:

So what happens if you fall off the path in these OoB areas?

Vermain posted:

I believe there's a kill plane that just teleports you back to the house entrance.
My understanding is that you can't actually exit the nebulous "boundary" of a furniture item, if you try to jump past them you get stuck (in a perpetual falling animation on your client). Maybe a kill plane exists starting from certain coordinates.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Tenik posted:

if you mean NPC appearances, you can find their data on https://www.garlandtools.org/db/. If you want player options, then you can just go into the character creator and take a look at what is available.

This looks good too, thanks

My particular use case is wanting to see fun player-made appearances of characters (like, say, Stone Cold Steve Austin) to get inspired to make my own

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The chargen isn't that robust, sadly. The unique looks tend to come from outfits rather than faces.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
All the hairstyle and color options help as well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That cut scene at the end of Wanderer’s Palace Hard.

Oh my god

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Oh my god

:allears:

:magical:

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Thanks for the Black Hole tips y'all. I'll keep an eye on the stuff mentioned, and yell at the other people in my static to read up. It's one of those things that seems really simple when you think about it, but the execution hasn't been coming together reliably yet.

Also, re: glamours, there's also a subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXIVGlamours/) that's maybe worth a look. Though, predictably for Reddit, a lot of the upvotes are reserved for either outfits that show as much catgirl skin as possible, or for badly-done cosplay of other characters.

Also also, I hit 70 on BRD and bashed out the story quests last night! Job's fun, job quests are okay, Sanson and Guydelot need to kiss already. I really like how it feels, it has lots of options and keeps you busy without going all JOHN loving MADDEN like NIN is all the time or MCH is during Overheat/Wildfire.

also it looks nice, i should get a more foppish hat but eh

mandatory blue elves

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I main MCH for raids and I actually feel that BRD is wildfire rotation: the class. It's JOHN loving MADDEN but all the time instead of every minute.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Oh my god

If you haven't done Tam Tara Hard yet you might want to see if you can run it with friends who will let you stop and read the flavor text along the way.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
How funny, I ran Wanderer's Hard last night with a friend. The two SAM we got paired with made me want to scream. They completely ignored the adds in the first boss and wouldn't quit with the adds in the last boss. A run going south because both DPS have no idea what to do is just the worst, because it's always a slow and painful wipe. Or the longest boss ever. Worth it to see the last cutscene again though.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Ibblebibble posted:

I main MCH for raids and I actually feel that BRD is wildfire rotation: the class. It's JOHN loving MADDEN but all the time instead of every minute.
Yeah I can see how BRD feels like a 24/7 Wildfire. I think that's what I like about it. Mostly because it does this without Wildfire's downsides.

The failstate of Wildfire is that you flubbed Wildfire, possibly by 100%, and now you've got to wait a miniature eternity to even have a shot at trying it again. And god help you if your cooldowns ever get out of whack.

The failstate for Bard is usually one or two non-optimal GCDs.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a2CQPM6-2Y

This looks like fun.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I found some history, for those of you who are interested in that sort of thing. Yoshi-P's emotional speech on the launch of 2.0, subtitled in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE9G3ByXKIE

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

If you haven't done Tam Tara Hard yet you might want to see if you can run it with friends who will let you stop and read the flavor text along the way.

I feel Tam Tara Hard first times is comic worthy. Three smirking vets looking on at a sprout, holding a bloodstained page nervously.

:allears:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

:same:

I play MCH more but when I do occasionally play BRD its like im 13 and playing tekken against my older cousins again and just rubbing my arm across the controller.

a kitten posted:

Our house is nice and all, but it's not "portal to a mysterious out of bounds world" nice. :(

https://twitter.com/hastytouch/status/952360851398365184

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vUSrrU4Ss

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What does Wildfire mean?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

What does Wildfire mean?

Wildfire is a move MCH have where all damage done within a certain timeframe is enhanced. Your goal as a MCH is to fit as much damage into this timeframe as possible or you suffer a significant amount of DPS loss. Optimal wildfire rotation is EXTREMELY tight.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Wildfire is a move MCH have where all damage done within a certain timeframe is enhanced. Your goal as a MCH is to fit as much damage into this timeframe as possible or you suffer a significant amount of DPS loss. Optimal wildfire rotation is EXTREMELY tight.

So kinda like when BLM had raging strikes?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just got through the Vault in Heavensward and it really hammers home just how lovely the people of Ishgard are

Why did I ever agree to help these assholes

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Wildfire works a bit different. It doesn't buff the mech's damage like Raging Strikes does.

What it does is adds up a % of all damage dealt by the user while the wildfire buff is on the enemy. At the end of the countdown, it deals all of that damage to the enemy again.

If the boss goes immune .5s before the timer is up, welp, you lose all that bonus damage. At least with raging strikes, the first 10 seconds all dealt enhanced damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Kind of but worse.

Wildfire is basically 'stores up all damage, adds the bonus at the end of the time period.' So not only do you need to fit in as much as possible but you ALSO need to make sure it doesn't run into a boss invulnerability period or phase change or whatever.

It's probably the single most punishing mechanic a player has access to in terms of optimizing it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If the boss goes immune .5s before the timer is up, welp, you lose all that bonus damage.

you just triggered me so hard

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Just got through the Vault in Heavensward and it really hammers home just how lovely the people of Ishgard are

I just completed the level 60 Botanist quest and they've found a way to be arbitrarily lovely in there too! It was really hilarious to me. All the urgency and tension from the HW story, all focused around the genealogy of gyshal greens.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

ImpAtom posted:

Kind of but worse.

Wildfire is basically 'stores up all damage, adds the bonus at the end of the time period.' So not only do you need to fit in as much as possible but you ALSO need to make sure it doesn't run into a boss invulnerability period or phase change or whatever.

It's probably the single most punishing mechanic a player has access to in terms of optimizing it.
I kinda wish they'd make it so Wildfire just buffed the damage you're doing in real time. You're still encouraged to do that super fun hectic button mashy rotation for optimum KERPLOW but when you flub it from mechanics/invul stages at least you got most of it in there.

Sure, that's way less unique but it's a small price to pay for not wanting to cut your hands off when it goes wrong through no fault of your own.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Since I swapped to MCH from MNK "MY WILDFIRE" has just replaced "MY STACKS".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Oh my god

And that's why you don't piss off beings of unimaginable hate.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Since I swapped to MCH from MNK "MY WILDFIRE" has just replaced "MY STACKS".

This raid tier is pretty good about gl3 stacks anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kashuno posted:

Don't worry! The people in Stormblood are just as lovely! Except the Domans. They're alright.