Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

I was just musing the other day, whilst behind a new 4Runner in traffic, that I remember when the 4Runner was actually a *truck*. Now it's about as much a truck as the current Explorer is, which is to say it's a large tall station wagon that no one wants to admit is a station wagon. What I'm saying is that they're both king-sized CRVs/Rav4s.
It's a truck in the same sense a modern suburban is still a truck. If someone was teleported from the 70s or even 80s and rode in one they'd think it was some sort of uber luxury vehicle, but pretty much every truck is like that is now. Even a modestly equipped Silverado is pretty luxurious compared to how they used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The funny thing is that as someone who came from near the region the world where hilux and surf was conceived and sold, I have no loving idea what a US truck even is, like tacoma or silverado. Growing up a lot of my friends had the old hiluxes and hilux surfs/4runners...
To me the hilux was a basic (mini?) truck. The 4runner or jdm import surf was just a factory hardtop/canopy version, a bit softened up but still agricultural soon to be exclusively rust vehicles.

E: How is this a hilux surf/4runner?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 11, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cool startup feel posted:

ACTUALLY it's still very much a ladder framed truck.

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/4runner

Well, poo poo. I must be thinking of another psuedo SUV. Highlander, maybe? I'm old and get confused easily.
Maybe a Nissan or something? That's probably it: Nissan Pathfinder. Used to be based on the Hardbody pickup, now a fat, bloated, tall wagon.
Nice to know the 4Runner is still a real truck.

madeintaipei posted:

Nope. While small and heavy, the 4runner will easily tow a 20ft. trailer.

How many of you all have actually used a truck or truck-based vehicle to do any work? Lotta DeMuro level opinions here.

I have, but never a Japanese truck, actually. Mostly old Dodges and Chevys.

edit: Holy gently caress, the Pathfinder is even FWD now. Interestingly, it went to unibody for the second gen, then back to body on frame for the third-gen, then to being a tall Maxima for the current generation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Pathfinder

...and I kind of want a Terrano Regulus Starfire with the Nismo bodykit:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 11, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Enourmo posted:

I dunno if that's better than that hillclimb car with a gas turbine engine driving a turbo constantly at max boost, but it's definitely born from the same streak of mad genius.

The best part of the M3 article is that 4th throttle used to shut off intake air to the turbo, making a prehistoric anti-lag system. Pretty smart they thought of that, honestly.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Larrymer posted:

The best part of the M3 article is that 4th throttle used to shut off intake air to the turbo, making a prehistoric anti-lag system. Pretty smart they thought of that, honestly.

There's actually a bunch of patents on that, here and there, and the F-1 versions did that too. Ferrari's F-1 turbo engines actually had one of the types of antilag that's still in use (bypass air around engine, feed into exhaust side of turbos along with extra fuel) but not too many others followed suit for a while.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

madeintaipei posted:

How many of you all have actually used a truck or truck-based vehicle to do any work? Lotta DeMuro level opinions here.

Lots of toy hauling and dragging a lovely slated tilt trailer behind to bring back a cord of wood or two.

:shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Reading this stuff about anti-lag just made me realise that when you put your hand over the end of the vacuum cleaner, it doesn't speed up because it's struggling, it speeds up because the fan has less resistance, so the motor spins faster on the same voltage.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

D.N. Nation posted:

The Onion just posted a Kelly from last year.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
That will never not be hilarious

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Memento posted:

Reading this stuff about anti-lag just made me realise that when you put your hand over the end of the vacuum cleaner, it doesn't speed up because it's struggling, it speeds up because the fan has less resistance, so the motor spins faster on the same voltage.

the fan speeds up because it is cavitating

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

sandoz posted:

the fan speeds up because it is cavitating
I think that's what they were saying- less resistance because less air.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah that's what I meant. Lower air pressure in the fan housing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Impellers pumping gas can't cavitate :spergin:

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
My parents still have the '84 4Runner they bought new, and it's accumulated most of it's many miles roughing around the mountains of Nevada and Colorado. I think it's finally on its second clutch, but in 34 years it hasn't needed anything other than routine maintenance. 80's Toyota truck based products really will outlast us all.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Impellers pumping gas can't cavitate :spergin:
Yeah.

quote:

Cavitation is the formation of vapour cavities in a liquid – i.e. small liquid-free zones ("bubbles" or "voids") – that are the consequence of forces acting upon the liquid. It usually occurs when a liquid is subjected to rapid changes of pressure that cause the formation of cavities where the pressure is relatively low.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rakekniven posted:

My parents still have the '84 4Runner they bought new, and it's accumulated most of it's many miles roughing around the mountains of Nevada and Colorado. I think it's finally on its second clutch, but in 34 years it hasn't needed anything other than routine maintenance. 80's Toyota truck based products really will outlast us all.

The advantage of being about as complex as a a sledgehammer.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

ok it isn't cavitating it is stalling

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, it's just doing no work. I remember back in the day when I had brains and things to do that I used to check fan motor current on AHUs and exhaust fans etc. If the amps were way lower than normal in previous logs/maintenance then start looking for air restrictions like closed/stuck dampers, blocked filters or tripped fire dampers etc.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 14, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you saw Clarkson's Farmkhana on The Grand Tour, it turns out someone beat him to it a couple of weeks previously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=622GBtENJMg

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A little vignette from the family who's owned the Bullitt Mustang for the past 40 years:
https://www.historicvehicle.org/mcqueens-1968-bullitt-movie-mustang-revealed-north-american-international-auto-show/

quote:

Mom drove Bullitt to St. Vincent’s parish where she taught third grade. The car was never modified – it has a straight exhaust and shook the pavement. God only knows what those kids must have thought. Mom must have been pretty cool.

On weekends, it was the family car and was driven to Maine and upstate New York numerous times. It must have been deafening. There was no sound-proofing because it had been removed for the movie. The trunk had a huge cut-out for a smoke machine. When it rained, I have no idea how the luggage stayed dry. We recently discovered the rear seatbelts hidden with Gaffer’s Tape. I guess my sister Kelly was never buckled in. Dad installed a pair of speakers in the back that are still there.
:krad:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kimbo305 posted:

A little vignette from the family who's owned the Bullitt Mustang for the past 40 years:
https://www.historicvehicle.org/mcqueens-1968-bullitt-movie-mustang-revealed-north-american-international-auto-show/

:krad:

Yeah the fact that someone bought a movie car and used it like a family sedan is loving fantastic. The fact that someone told Steve McQueen to shove off is loving badass.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The fact that people spend so much time and effort to recreate that car and keep them immaculate, while the real one has been used as an actual car, is hilarious.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
A friend bought the Bloody Nova from Pulp Fiction at the end of the shoot. They drove it the 60 miles or so home with the rear window and back seat covered in stage blood. Luckily my friend's Dad was a Sheriff's deputy. Though they never got pulled over.

I saw this car, personally, blood and all in their driveway the next day. This actually happened. The car was a super basic model. Daily drove it. I don't know what became of it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

The fact that people spend so much time and effort to recreate that car and keep them immaculate, while the real one has been used as an actual car, is hilarious.
The original, in all its beater glory, is probably worth a hell of a lot more, too. :laugh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bogatyr posted:

A friend bought the Bloody Nova from Pulp Fiction at the end of the shoot. They drove it the 60 miles or so home with the rear window and back seat covered in stage blood. Luckily my friend's Dad was a Sheriff's deputy. Though they never got pulled over.

I saw this car, personally, blood and all in their driveway the next day. This actually happened. The car was a super basic model. Daily drove it. I don't know what became of it.

Didn't a goon own one of the Wayne's World cars?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Solar Coaster posted:

This Imperial was really interesting. It's a Secretary model so the passenger seat swivels backward so that the secretary can take notes on the typewriter while en route.

Not to be a dick but I don't know how hidden The Shop is considering it has a restaurant in it run by one of Seattle's most famous chefs in it, but getting to get up close with all the cars is probably a little harder than buying dinner. Super cool photos. I had no idea just how big and insane the assortment there was.

Also I know the owner of that Imperial. He sought out an era-appropriate typewriter to complete the tableau for that car. He's got a ton of rad poo poo. A Citroen DS (maybe two?), a pristine, original '67 VW bus, a couple Renauts and Peugeots, more I can't remember. Some old Vespas and weirder scooters, like NSU Primas. But most of them he keeps on his own property. I should probably give him a call soon...

Also also I'm like 90% sure this guy is my boss and it's freaking me out.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 15, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Episodes 2 and 3 of the 350 HP Big Turbo Abarth 124 build:

2. Adding Recaro seats and a catch can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHnAQRP8kMg

3. Converting to E85
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXdzEVPnstA

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Cross-posting from my build thread:

:frogsiren:

:fap:

:circlefap:

:flashfap:

:swoon:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

HandlingByJebus posted:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

HandlingByJebus posted:

:frogsiren:

:circlefap:

:flashfap:

:swoon:

unf

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
That thing is going to be an absolute beast and I am extremely jealous.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

speedtek posted:

That thing is going to be an absolute beast and I am extremely jealous.

I sincerely hope that you are right. It's either going to be a beast or a fireball, and I guess either way it'll be entertaining as hell. :downs:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Minor awesomeness:
Went to nephew's birthday party at a bounce-house place (whole mess of bounce houses + various arcade games in a building), and one of the game/rides was this remarkably accurate Shelby 427SC Cobra:

I want that body shell to install an electric go-kart in or something.

Amusingly, the fender badges don't say "427 Ford Cobra" on them. They say "428 Feared Cobra".
And, yeah, the brake caliper stickers actually say "Wilwood" on them, conveniently obscured by the "wheels".
The trunk was even functional, housing the electronics, presumably.

edit: I didn't even catch that it was RHD until now. This thing is in Texas...

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
This thing was hand painted, and it is in incredibly good shape. I love the air intakes.

Maybe a BMW person could explain the "M334IS" badge?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Modus Man posted:

This thing was hand painted, and it is in incredibly good shape. I love the air intakes.

Maybe a BMW person could explain the "M334IS" badge?

I can explain how that paintwork is wicked awesome, will that help?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That car has a S52 in it, I'm not sure where the extra displacement came from

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

KakerMix posted:

I can explain how that paintwork is wicked awesome, will that help?

No kidding its wicked fuckin sweet

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
there is an Altima painted similar to that sitting in a garage lot nearby and the back has this big delicately painted warning about how chemtrails are controlling out weather or something :tinfoil:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well those are some pretty ineffective chemtrails then because I don't think anyone likes the weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Saw an R32 version of this.

https://twitter.com/404_m9/status/952897083387756545

A little further down the thread:

https://twitter.com/404_m9/status/953240072756719616