Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

Question:
Is there a Lasers&Feelings variant set in classical errol flynn style-pirates? Or any other quick, easy and dirty pirate-themed rpg you can learn in less than 20mins?

Gimme a couple of hours? I have one half-written around here somewhere that I can finish off...

EDIT: Here it is! Swashbucklers & Scoundrels

If you'd rather not have a dropbox link, it's mirrored on my own site here

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

DigitalRaven posted:

Gimme a couple of hours? I have one half-written around here somewhere that I can finish off...

EDIT: Here it is! Swashbucklers & Scoundrels

If you'd rather not have a dropbox link, it's mirrored on my own site here

I could kiss you! *mwah*
This is going to be great. Thank you ^^

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

I could kiss you! *mwah*
This is going to be great. Thank you ^^

You're very welcome. Always glad to get a kick to finish a game

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

Pizzagate is really funny to me, because I imagine myself trying to explain to some middle-age Republican couple why Marina Abramovic does what she does. "Yes this woman literally looks like a witch from an Argento movie, and yes, that's her naked covered in blood with a skull. But it's not Satanic cult poo poo, she does this because, um, to make a statement on, uhhh..." Plus, I mean, John Podesta is legitimately a weird a creep.

Pizzagate was really funny until I realized that one of my favorite pizza places in DC will be forever haunted by it.

It doesn't matter that the conspiracy was entirely fake - people across the US are always going to remember it as 'that place a nutso with a gun thought was hiding a child sex ring' instead of 'a cool pizza place that screens weird films in the front, has ping pong in the back, and serves good food'.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I have no idea what non-conspiracy thing you're referring to here, he seems like a pretty bland democratic operative besides his UFO enthusiasm which is weird but hardly creepy
I don't believe John Podesta is a Satanic cannibal pedophile, but it is kind of weird to hang nude photography of teenagers in the bedrooms of your house.

Also, his job is to help corporations buy out the government, so in all seriousness, he is as bad as any pedophile.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't believe John Podesta is a Satanic cannibal pedophile, but it is kind of weird to hang nude photography of teenagers in the bedrooms of your house.

Also, his job is to help corporations buy out the government, so in all seriousness, he is as bad as any pedophile.

Lets see about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diLSFNS2S2A

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How did I just now find out that Rat Queens is a thing.

Ffffffuuuuuck.

Holy poo poo this is the good stuff.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Have you gotten to the weird reboot yet?

There's a weird reboot.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah I've been binging it pretty hard and I just got there like an hour or so ago.

It's pretty weird but still mostly good, I guess?

I just got brow-beaten by some friends into running a D&D 4e game for the first time in years (fffffuck I got babied by *world games and this is so much more math...), and I'm totally gonna steal stuff from this left and right.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Amusingly, Seagal believes in an international "deep state" conspiracy, which is practically the opposite of what the phrase deep state actually means.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LeSquide posted:

Have you gotten to the weird reboot yet?

There's a weird reboot.
The reboot was because of the delay due to the original artist getting arrested for beating his wife.

e: to clarify, the guy got arrested, then kicked off the book.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The reboot was because of the delay due to the original artist getting arrested for beating his wife.

Actually, it was because the replacement for the original artist got...kicked off? split up with? it wasn't pretty, but Tess Fowler did a lot of the stuff after Upchurch left. I'm talking about the post-Fowler reboot with volume 4.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, Rat Queens had some serious delays due to even more serious behind-the-scenes scrambling for replacement artists multiple times.

The Fell's Five D&D books are pretty good for glorified tabletop fanfiction.

That said, the real triumph of D&D-knockoff comics is still Dungeon Meshi.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Been reading through the Dragon Mountain module, and the more I read it the more I want to run "Kobold Clan Advancement" instead. What would be a good system for that?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

SirPhoebos posted:

Been reading through the Dragon Mountain module, and the more I read it the more I want to run "Kobold Clan Advancement" instead. What would be a good system for that?

Blades in the Dark? It's got all the gang rules baked right in.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

potatocubed posted:

Blades in the Dark? It's got all the gang rules baked right in.

impossible, Dragon Mountain has a map

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing totally-not-D&D-ripoff Low Magic Age (thanks Serf!) and I have opinions:

The lack of Marking, or of Iron Guard's Glare/Thicket of Blades really illustrates how bad pre-Tome of Battle tanking was: even if you take Combat Reflexes for unlimited AOOs, the enemy will simply shift one square.

____

You can't Trip until you learn the "Trip" feat, and you can't learn the Trip feat until your learn the Combat Maneuver Familiarity feat, and you can't learn the Combat Maneuver Familiarity feat until level 3. And unless I missed something, you can't "bank" your feats, so you can learn Combat Maneuver Familiarity at level 3, but if you only get one feat at that level, then you still can't learn Trip until you earn your next feat.

Also, the Trip feat doesn't actually do anything except enable you to trip. You have to learn Improved Trip (or equip a flail-type weapon) in order to avoid provoking AOOs when you make a Trip attempt.

Once you finally do get to Trip, there's a three turn cooldown on it! I do not like this.

____

The Wizard is both really powerful because they always start every fight with their full allotment of spells, but also kinda boring because once you fire off your one Sleep, then there's really not much else to cast so you end up skipping a bunch of turns.

Once you finally do get to level 2 and up, you can actually cast more than one spell per fight, but then they also slap on a cooldown mechanic on casting spells (although it's not yet clear to me exactly how that works).

The most use I've gotten so far from the Wizard is to have him summon an elemental and have that attack enemies.

____

The Cleric might be a little restrained as far as you start every fight completely unbuffed, so you need to take a couple of turns to put on Divine Favor, and then Bull's Strength, etc.

____

It's both very D&D, and at the same time just different enough from by-the-book D&D that you can see the "houserules" staring you in the face. I'll keep playing it because I'd like to see how much more it develops.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Then the second replacement artist left after it became clear to her that the domestic-abuser was still quietly involved with the comic (and still good friends with the writer) after being publicly removed.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Amusingly, Seagal believes in an international "deep state" conspiracy, which is practically the opposite of what the phrase deep state actually means.

I don't know but about that but I absolutely believe Seagal will bring the people who abused Corey Haim and tried to frame Charlie Sheen for it to justice

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

I really wanted to like it afterwards, but none of the replacement artists did a great job, IMO. And the delays seemed to hurt the tone and quality of the writing quite a lot. All things considered, letting it rest in peace is a pretty good outcome.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think I nearly had a stroke reading a trap description in Dragon Mountain:

quote:

Since the pit itself is not designed to harm or hamper them, it cannot be detected by a find traps spell.

And three paragraphs later a kobold just fiat steals a magic item from the PCs in order to lead them to an ambush. I...just...:tizzy:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just the way Gygax intended!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

whydirt posted:

Just the way Gygax intended!

Yes just the way the guy we forced out would have it.

I'm pretty sure even Tomb of Horrors didn't have paragraphs dedicated to describing how to keep PCs as kobold slaves...and then suggest this is just a different sort of challenge.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. Maltose posted:

I will fully admit to walking between raindrops if this is a problem a lot of people have, but at the same time you probably shouldn't be playing games with a shared social contract with people who try and weaponize that contract at all?

From way back, but now I have to write a move for "Weaponize the Social Contract".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Been alternating running Pathfinder and Force & Destiny week to week and trying to find a way to let my Pathfinder party down gently that I'm thinking of stopping because one of these games feels like a chore I'm barely hanging onto and the other I have like a dozen new ideas for every single day

also I have a Masks game I'm going to be in and three games may actually make my head explode

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Blockhouse posted:

Been alternating running Pathfinder and Force & Destiny week to week and trying to find a way to let my Pathfinder party down gently that I'm thinking of stopping because one of these games feels like a chore I'm barely hanging onto and the other I have like a dozen new ideas for every single day

also I have a Masks game I'm going to be in and three games may actually make my head explode

please practice safe game playing, just say no to PF

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I thought I really wanted to run some dumb fantasy bullshit

turns out what I actually want to run is some dumb space fantasy bullshit in a system that doesn't give me a migraine

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Good news, Starfinder is out for your needs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blockhouse posted:

I thought I really wanted to run some dumb fantasy bullshit

turns out what I actually want to run is some dumb space fantasy bullshit in a system that doesn't give me a migraine
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228813/Genesys-Core-Rulebook?cPath=36_29258 genesys pdf is half price if you want to run both!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Good news, Starfinder is out for your needs.

Please dont promote self harm.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

All right, someone sell me on how Genesys would work when not being used for Star Wars.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

All right, someone sell me on how Genesys would work when not being used for Star Wars.

tough to do, since it doesn't even work for star wars

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

tough to do, since it doesn't even work for star wars

what? Isn't Genesys the Edge of the Empire system, just genericized?

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

what? Isn't Genesys the Edge of the Empire system, just genericized?

it is. i actually bought the pdf for genesys but i haven't managed to finish it yet. it's not very good, imo

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Serf posted:

it is. i actually bought the pdf for genesys but i haven't managed to finish it yet. it's not very good, imo

Yeah I think it has potential, but the execution seems sort of slapdash. It's caught in a weird place where it wants to both give you a ton of options and also say "just make it up yourself," without quite enough support for either.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I haven't looked at Genesys but I'm assuming basically the same? That seems like the point.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've volunteered to run an intro session of D&D at the local boardgame cafe, but I want to also do a handout describing other RPGs that are available.

I want a mix of genres and story/trad games. Suggestions? Games must be available easily, ideally in print.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Angrymog posted:

I've volunteered to run an intro session of D&D at the local boardgame cafe, but I want to also do a handout describing other RPGs that are available.

I want a mix of genres and story/trad games. Suggestions? Games must be available easily, ideally in print.

Try this?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19EfAN7KoU7rWy-TYchf8wVkbfbkRRrv3_ZpnA7ZNljU/edit

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Eh, that's kind of aggressive -- you're not going to win any converts with it unless they already think D&D is bad.

I'd be inclined to do something like

quote:

If you enjoyed the tactical combat of D&D but want something faster and more dynamic, try 13th Age.

If you enjoyed the tactical combat of D&D but want something scifi instead, try Fragged Empire.

If you enjoyed the story of D&D but found the combat less interesting, try Dungeon World.

If you hated everything about D&D, try Fate.

But, you know, insert your own games and reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

potatocubed posted:

Eh, that's kind of aggressive -- you're not going to win any converts with it unless they already think D&D is bad.

I don't completely disagree, I was more just mining it for the games listed