Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I was surprised, too, but some dude on Reddit did a statistical analysis of winrate gains as a function of total games played to try and determine which champs have the highest/lowest skill floors. Tahm Kench had one of the highest skill floors out of any champion, with people gaining something crazy like +10% winrate after 100+ games. I'd have to find the analysis again to be sure (it was in a big Google doc), but he's genuinely difficult to play optimally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

I was surprised, too, but some dude on Reddit did a statistical analysis of winrate gains as a function of total games played to try and determine which champs have the highest/lowest skill floors. Tahm Kench had one of the highest skill floors out of any champion, with people gaining something crazy like +10% winrate after 100+ games. I'd have to find the analysis again to be sure (it was in a big Google doc), but he's genuinely difficult to play optimally.

[screaming and on the verge of tears from raw emotion]it is probably because gently caress head tahm kench support players keep eating me when i am playing adc and we can turn around and kill them in a fight but instead they disengage so hard that the enemy never gets punished for their aggression

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

pog boyfriend posted:

[screaming and on the verge of tears from raw emotion]it is probably because gently caress head tahm kench support players keep eating me when i am playing adc and we can turn around and kill them in a fight but instead they disengage so hard that the enemy never gets punished for their aggression

This actually probably is part of it. Bad Kenching means the ADC that should've lived with 50 HP survives with 500 HP, but the enemy ADC that should've died limps away with 300 HP and you lose later on because of passing up advantages.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pog boyfriend posted:

yeah bro that was totally an "accident"

just like all those times bard "accidentally" ulted the enemy tower

oops! :keke:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yeah tahm kench has easy mechanics but he also has the single highest capacity to gently caress over his own team of any champ in the game, and that's done by doing the exact same stuff you have to do to play him well

Basically if you can't read teamfights etc really well as (support) kench you're at best an otherwise useless wall of hp and at worst making your team fight a 4v6

Monicro fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 15, 2018

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

pog boyfriend posted:

someone post the picture of serv owning all quinn goons as pantheon

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Mikujin posted:

I think honestly the hardest part of playing Tahm Kench is hoping your allies remember what your buttons do because no one seems to understand that if I eat you and you right click like a moron you don't stay safe for like 5 seconds and instead we're both sad.

Yeah love too eat a 148 hp jungler and then he immediately jumps out and into the waiting akali scythes

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i should think it would be obvious by now is that the "jungler" is a role in which six people on the enemy team conspire to kill you

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

thank you

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

rabidsquid posted:

i should think it would be obvious by now is that the "jungler" is a role in which six people on the enemy team conspire to kill you

Love how many solo lane players just watch their enemy leave to join their jungler in killing me in their woods

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm going to jump in to the new player chat and recommend using the practice tool once you find a champ you like so you can get the hang of their abilities in a controlled setting. Also it can be super relaxing to just work on CS for half an hour

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Vermain posted:

from what i recall any time someone does one of these analyses all the classic 'high skill' champs rate out average and the top is all the weird kiteable melees like udyr and singed

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
THe actual highest skill thing you can do in this game is gap close on udyr.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the most skillful champion is mastery yi he has the word master right there in his name :smugdog:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Sion is a 1350BE tanky tank that is all about the burst damage and peeling your squishies and is satisfying to charge a Q over someones head and has decent engage in his ult and E, he can go in lane and jungle, even mid if you don't mind your team thinking your trolling.
Malphite for more burst damage and power loaded into the R and the ability to walk all over the all too common full AD teams.

Buy up all of the 450BE champs, most of the 1350 champs.

Illaoi is fotm, winning or losing her lane is also entirely decided at champ select, you pick something that can deal with her or you don't deal with her, she trashes melee, gets kited by ranged who just hit her outside of her death fortress of tentacles.

ehhh, plenty of fast attacking melee characters can deal with her reasonably well. melee + mobile is the best option, really. when she ults, walk away, and gently caress her up when its over

the danger is falling behind enough that she can bully and fight you without threat of ulting you. you're hosed at that point

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Addamere posted:

the most skillful champion is mastery yi he has the word master right there in his name :smugdog:

master yi is one of the highest skill cap champions in the game

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Time For A Bandle City Beatdown

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can some smart goons talk about tiamat and when its good

i have been building it on guys like garen and poppy and it feels really strong but it doesnt quite feel right on guys like tryndamere or yi and im kind of not really sure why

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's a bruiser item, not a melee carry item.

Or at least that used to be the case, they may have changed it drastically again (again again)

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

tiamat, other than the wave clear, has the main benefit of being a quasi auto reset + the actual tiamat damage so it's best on champs who want to operate in narrow windows of burst damage, ie most bruisers like renekton or kledd but also riven, fiora, etc. Titanic Hydra is secretly good on literally anyone though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it feels a bit worse on trynd because some of his lane power comes from hitting creeps to charge rage and if you clear the wave really quickly with non-contributing aoe damage you're just throwing a bit of that away. similarly, this is why a bunch of attack speed feels really good on him, especially early

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I won't be satisfied until we've purged the scourge of support Lux apologists of our lands, far from our fertile fields and comely daughters.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Addamere posted:

can some smart goons talk about tiamat and when its good

i have been building it on guys like garen and poppy and it feels really strong but it doesnt quite feel right on guys like tryndamere or yi and im kind of not really sure why

The only reason I could see for building on poppy/garen is to help with wave clear, but I don't know why you'd do that when sunfire cape is a better option for both of them.

E: I was also a bit ??? about tahm kench skill floor but having spammed him lately it really is all about smart W usage. Late game it's very tempting to try eat one of their guys and when you see the red fish it takes control to remember its on a relatively long cooldown. Better to stun the fool and save the belly space for a team mate when its late game

el dingo fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 15, 2018

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

do you have the star guardian one

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Lovechop posted:

There's a star guardian pantheon??

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Lovechop posted:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Thanks whoever told me to just play.

First game went well!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

omg star guardien pantheon :swoon:

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Thanks whoever told me to just play.

First game went well!

Nice! Be aware that teleport is usually more helpful on tops, but maybe garen is better with flame on, idk. His tp ganks arent as scary as say malphites.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

hell yeah now that’s what i’m talking about

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

gowb posted:

Nice! Be aware that teleport is usually more helpful on tops, but maybe garen is better with flame on, idk. His tp ganks arent as scary as say malphites.

It's a long walk back up to top. I've been watching Glacier who likes ignite.

Although it might be him being more confident about not getting killed/recovering and liking the extra damage as its hard to chase anyone who can magic themselves away on low health?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gowb posted:

hes still best with teleport because he can push waves real hard and is fairly hard to 1v1 (he doesnt autowin 1v1 fights but he can usually either get away or be threatening enough that both parties have to back off) so when it gets into the lategame he can just split push and then teleport into fights and stuff

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

hes still best with teleport because he can push waves real hard and is fairly hard to 1v1 (he doesnt autowin 1v1 fights but he can usually either get away or be threatening enough that both parties have to back off) so when it gets into the lategame he can just split push and then teleport into fights and stuff

That makes sense. Better people who go ignite probably make up for it with better awareness of whats going on.

I'll probably get more use of out TP anyway since I always forget to ignite until they are out of range so its basically useless on me at the moment anyway.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

That makes sense. Better people who go ignite probably make up for it with better awareness of whats going on.

I'll probably get more use of out TP anyway since I always forget to ignite until they are out of range so its basically useless on me at the moment anyway.

ignite is better for certain garen play styles, aka hyper aggressive lane bullies who want to snowball to the point that they can 1v2 the enemy jungles and top when the jungler comes to stem the bleeding the first time around

note: you only need to do this once, on the first time, as if you thwart the first attempt they will not try with 2 for a long while, but they may send 3

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Being a good toplaner means getting the enemy top, mid, jungle and support all to come and try and kill you. Or, the Yorick experience.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Nasus is better than any other top now, just spam him for free elo

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

njsykora posted:

Being a good toplaner means getting the enemy top, mid, jungle and support all to come and try and kill you. Or, the Yorick experience.

then being a great toplaner means having that happen and getting out alive.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Being a great top laner meands Dying for Vayne

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

then being a great toplaner means having that happen and getting out alive.

being a great top laner is really easy, you just pick "Teemo" and then tell the enemy team if they lose this game they lost to a teemo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pog boyfriend posted:

being a great top laner is really easy, you just pick "Teemo" and then tell the enemy team if they lose this game they lost to a teemo

being a great teemo means AFKing at the enemy red buff brush for the entire game :hai: