Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Theophany posted:

It's not.

I totally get very few people are like me in that they'll get 20 minutes down a rabbit hole and spend their way out of it on the basis of it being a 'learning experience,' but that's more from an adult life of owning broken cars and being convinced by similar morons on YouTube it's possible and gently caress paying a mechanic.

That being said, cooking is not hard and the £10 it costs for a pan compared to the £10 minimum it's going to cost for a week's worth of trash tier ready made dinners simply doesn't wash. Especially if the argument is borne of cost consciousness. I paid like £30 for my unbranded cast iron Dutch oven, it's given me years of excellent use, still looks basically brand new and so the argument that somebody can't afford £30 for an investment in not buying literal trash just doesn't wash.

Dice an onion: 20p
Dice a carrot: 20p
Dice celery: 70p
Tin of tomatoes: 30p
500g minced beef: £2.50
Tomato paste: 70p
Garlic paste: 70p
Pasta: £1

That's like 2 night's worth of dinners that don't taste like poo poo, are healthy and it's a completely scalable recipe. Hell, I make a months worth of meals for sub £40 and that's overspending in ~exquisite~ ingredients from the supermarket, which are basically the same as the basic stuff but with additional markup.

People making excuses for not having basic cooking skills in this day and age deserve to get poo poo on no less than the fats in any other GBS thread, there is no shortage of excellent newbie friendly cooking resources online.
The fact that you're using £ instead of $ shows that you really don't even have the ability to know what the gently caress you're talking about. $30 is enough to break a significant amount of people's budgets over here in The Land Of The Free™ and while it's great that you can spend your way out of a "learning experience" a lot of people just loving can't. Until you've had to go put an onion back and get a smaller one because you can't afford it, you don't get to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Theophany posted:

It's not.

I totally get very few people are like me in that they'll get 20 minutes down a rabbit hole and spend their way out of it on the basis of it being a 'learning experience,' but that's more from an adult life of owning broken cars and being convinced by similar morons on YouTube it's possible and gently caress paying a mechanic.

That being said, cooking is not hard and the £10 it costs for a pan compared to the £10 minimum it's going to cost for a week's worth of trash tier ready made dinners simply doesn't wash. Especially if the argument is borne of cost consciousness. I paid like £30 for my unbranded cast iron Dutch oven, it's given me years of excellent use, still looks basically brand new and so the argument that somebody can't afford £30 for an investment in not buying literal trash just doesn't wash.

Dice an onion: 20p
Dice a carrot: 20p
Dice celery: 70p
Tin of tomatoes: 30p
500g minced beef: £2.50
Tomato paste: 70p
Garlic paste: 70p
Pasta: £1

That's like 2 night's worth of dinners that don't taste like poo poo, are healthy and it's a completely scalable recipe. Hell, I make a months worth of meals for sub £40 and that's overspending in ~exquisite~ ingredients from the supermarket, which are basically the same as the basic stuff but with additional markup.

People making excuses for not having basic cooking skills in this day and age deserve to get poo poo on no less than the fats in any other GBS thread, there is no shortage of excellent newbie friendly cooking resources online.

OK but lets pretend you aren't broke you can get decent takeout for $7-$14 a night and not deal with cooking or cleanup and it will taste just as good as stuff you make at home if not better.

It's a scale thing, I cook most nights of the week because take out for two is twice as expensive as take out for one and the marginal cost for cooking for two is like nothing once you have dealt with cooking and cleaning and shopping and all that. Like say I wanted a sandwich when I was single, sure I could buy a head of lettuce, an onion both of which are going to be thrown out before I finish them, then ham and cheese I have to buy enough for like a bunch of sandwiches just to make one, then the fancy mustard, etc, etc or I can just pay $9 for a sandwich and be done with it for like a couple of bucks more than making my own and none of the hassle.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My husband is talking to younger girls.

quote:

This may be entirely the wrong sub but maybe hear me out and I can post it elsewhere I necessary.

My husband (30) and I (28) have been married for 5 years, together for 9. We have had an open relationship for the past three years - talking to, dating, hooking up with others. It has worked for us.

Most of the girls he dated were younger but never worrisome. He was 27 and the youngest was 21. 30 and 22.

In December, he brought up that he was friends with a girl in a game online. Cool! Fun! No... he admitted she was 14. He saw nothing wrong with a 30 and 14 year old talking on Skype at 1 or 2 am. I put a stop to it. Quick. He let me see all the texts. All just friendly. Still. It made me really uncomfortable. Then the month took a horrible turn with a death and I had honestly forgotten the incident.

Until tonight.

I was using his computer and, in the corner, up pops up a facebook message from a girl I don't recognize: "I was hoping this conversation would take this sort of turn." Well, being the big fat snoop that I am, and curious because we always tell each other about new partners, I went to check out her profile. She works with him, okay. She goes to ... high school. I did a double take. Maybe it was wrong?

I went into the messages. It wasn't wrong. He mentioned numerous times how exciting it is for him that she's under 18. They were making plans to hang out, for him to get alcohol, and she would bring the weed. They were discussing kink and how "slutty" she is. She promised him some pictures on Snapchat.

So that's it... a thirty year old man chatting up a high school girl and making plans to meet up with her.

I am. Well, shocked doesn't seem solid enough. Blown away? In denial?

How do I approach this? Do I confront him directly - admitting I looked into his stuff? Do I take steps to distance myself to protect me and our daughter? Do I save screenshots of the conversations? Do I... I don't know. I have no idea how to deal with this.

TL;DR: 30 year old husband making plans to hook up with 16 year old. What the hell do I do?

EDIT:

I have gathered/printed/safely tucked away all evidence I could find. Beyond Facebook messages there is little more I could get to since his phone never leaves his side and Steam doesn't save chat logs. It did reveal he has been 'friendly' chatting with this girl for over six months.

There is overlap with the 14 year old. Which talking to multiple underage girls at once is one of many predatory warning signs or however you want to word it.

I made an appointment for a consult with an attorney later this afternoon. So I have an idea of what to expect and to discuss how best to move forward (contacting parents, police, etc as well as starting to build my custody case.) The age of consent here is 16 but his behavior, this being the second occurrence, offers of buying her alcohol, etc is, to understate it terribly, worrisome.

People have brought up the open relationship a few times. That really isn't the point here. I brought it up as an explanation for why I wasn't freaking out about 'cheating' because he was talking to someone. Rather legitimately upset that my husband is... well. This.

Thank you all for your advice and ideas. I feel really really dumb looking back. Thinking there were signs I must have missed. Wondering why I didn't do more in December. But all I can do is focus on moving forward and protecting those that need it, right?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

Stop talking about cooking you assholes.

My [26 M] girlfriend [25 F] is accusing me of things I didn't do

How do you touch someone inappropriately that you are in a serious relationship with? I thought by 8 months you pretty much had blanket sexual consent and generally don't need to ask permission for each individual action anymore.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Patrick Spens posted:

Stop talking about cooking you assholes.

My [26 M] girlfriend [25 F] is accusing me of things I didn't do
Redpill fiction or stdh.txt? The world will never know!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

fair enough, I guess I've contributed to enough useless derails in my time that I can't really complain.

I hate these people:

I [30F] am so mad at my husband [31 M] right now. Highly anticipated date night gone wrong. Married about 6 years.

I read this whole story to see if she would say 'usually I make plans and wanted him to do it this time" or "I do xyz with him that he likes but knows i'm not into" but instead she just comes across as passive aggressive and unpleasant.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

La Brea Carpet posted:

My husband is talking to younger girls.

Call the cops, get his rear end sent to jail.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Three Olives posted:

How do you touch someone inappropriately that you are in a serious relationship with? I thought by 8 months you pretty much had blanket sexual consent and generally don't need to ask permission for each individual action anymore.

Is this a serious question? I mean, I know you're you, but come on dude.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

are you expressing this in the context of the story or just racing wild hypotheticals in your head that are completely unrelated

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

ArbitraryC posted:

I read this whole story to see if she would say 'usually I make plans and wanted him to do it this time" or "I do xyz with him that he likes but knows i'm not into" but instead she just comes across as passive aggressive and unpleasant.

I agree with you that she sounds like a raging bitch but it's like the second line of the post:

quote:

ETA: I normally plan pretty much everything, but dinner and a movie is something he is perfectly capable of planning and AGREED to plan himself.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

I agree with you that she sounds like a raging bitch but it's like the second line of the post:

Fair enough I probably just forgot about that by the time I got through all her complaints.

tbh that makes her complaint sound more fair and it probably more boils down to a difference in how they wanna plan out dates. Like he makes more thorough plans with his friends because he doesn't see them all the time and they have more time constraints, whereas when he's hanging out with her dinner and a movie can be largely determined on the fly, but I can still understand how she'd be upset he fell through with datenight and took the first chance to just bail.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Planning out a date every once in a while is like the minimum bar of showing your partner that you give enough of a poo poo about them to spend 5 minutes of your day contributing to your relationship. I'd be pissed too.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I dunno, I knew my partner wanted to have sex on Saturday because I woke up with his hands down my pants, I didn't feel violated that he was molesting me while I was still half-asleep.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [27F] MIL [60F] walked in on my husband [32M] and I during a private moment, posted about it on Facebook.

quote:

I'm not sure where to begin so I'll start with relevant background about my MIL. She's a nice person and we get along well but she's very open about pretty much everything, while I'm more reserved and shy, especially when it comes to personal matters. She finds it funny to talk about things I would consider inappropriate in mixed company and often "reminds" people she has "no filter." It's never her intention to hurt or embarrass anyone but if someone objects to her language or the subject of conversation she will act like they're being too sensitive and continue on.

She retired early due to back problems (she was a nurse) and now spends most of her time at home. She relies on Facebook for most of her socialization and maintaining a connection to her friends. In my opinion she frequently overshares but until now it never affected me so I haven't said anything.

This brings me to the current problem. Last night she and FIL let themselves into our house while I was going down on my husband. She screamed, then laughed, and turned to FIL (who had asked what was wrong) and said "[husband's name] is getting a blowjob!" followed by more laughter and then "sorry, we'll go." I heard FIL say something like "Jesus Christ, [MIL's name]." I was frozen and completely mortified. My husband got up and followed them outside.

He was amused when he returned and seemed unaffected. They had gone to the movie theater near our house and wanted to stop by afterward. FIL had sent a text but he didn't hear the notification. I was still embarrassed but it was a mistake (and they left right away). I decided it was best for everyone to try to get over it.

So, I logged on to Facebook this morning and the second post I saw was from MIL referencing the incident from Saturday night. It read:

"learned the hard way to always KNOCK first... but at least [FIL] and I know our son is VERY well taken care of.. (laughing-crying emoji)"

I showed my husband immediately and he started laughing. I realize he's used to her attitude and openness about this stuff but it's highly embarrassing to me. He said she was trying to be funny but agreed it was inappropriate and sent her a text asking she take it down. It was deleted a few hours later but I'm sure most of their family saw it. There weren't any comments but the last time I checked 20-something people had 'reacted' to the post.

I'm not sure what to do. I haven't said anything to MIL. My husband says it's settled (because she took it down) and wants me to let it be. I'm inclined to follow his wishes but I also want to be assured this will never happen again. My parents and a handful of my relatives are friends with her on Facebook. There's also the fact that this is just really embarrassing for me.

Should I ask my husband to talk to her in more detail?

Do you think I should reach out to her? If so, how should I approach the conversation to ensure she takes me seriously without being rude or disrespectful?

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for all of your helpful suggestions.

For those who have asked, we were in the formal living room, which is the first room you see from the front door/entry. The door was not locked (but she does have a key). We won't be repeating that mistake again.

tl;dr: MIL walked into our house and saw my husband and I during a private moment. She then proceeded to reference it in a post to Facebook. Her intention was to be humorous but I'm mortified and want to be assured she won't do anything like this again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I mean, I would say all of that depends on your relationship and the setting. I give zero fucks if my partner grabs my dick, in private, in public whatever, just don't do it in front of family; she's a bit more reserved, around home is fine, I can pinch her butte in public if I do it slyly, but otherwise it's "keep that poo poo at home".

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 15, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Haifisch posted:

My [27F] MIL [60F] walked in on my husband [32M] and I during a private moment, posted about it on Facebook.

I just had a horrible realization that this is exactly what my mom would do if she walked in on me and my girlfriend

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Andy Dufresne posted:

Planning out a date every once in a while is like the minimum bar of showing your partner that you give enough of a poo poo about them to spend 5 minutes of your day contributing to your relationship. I'd be pissed too.

I dunno if I'd wanna drag my SO on a date they clearly didn't want to go to tho, like maybe if they have different tastes in movies they could have done something other than that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Oh no, people might figure out that they, a married couple, have sex!

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno if I'd wanna drag my SO on a date they clearly didn't want to go to tho, like maybe if they have different tastes in movies they could have done something other than that.

Sure, I can see the case where boyfriend wasn't into any of the movies she wanted to see. If that's the case though it's on him to come up with a substitute date idea and actually plan it.

This story tickled my fancy because I see stuff like this as the ultimate cause of relationship death. Not enough to be a big deal in a single instance but over time it's like, why am I even dating this person.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

I as expecting to see a weird rant about them being inappropriate but it mostly just seems like a harmless joke to me. It contains no details.

"Oh no people will know I have sex".

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I would be extremely angry if my mom posted something like that on facebook. But my mom isn't great with posting appropriate things on facebook to start with, so every time I see her post something about me I start getting angry preemptively.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Andy Dufresne posted:

Sure, I can see the case where boyfriend wasn't into any of the movies she wanted to see. If that's the case though it's on him to come up with a substitute date idea and actually plan it.

This story tickled my fancy because I see stuff like this as the ultimate cause of relationship death. Not enough to be a big deal in a single instance but over time it's like, why am I even dating this person.

right but we do sorta see a one sided take, who knows if she's one of those walking talking stereotypes of everything the other person tries to plan she has a reason against and a movie she wanted to see but he didn't want to was the only thing she accepted.

I dunno she just kinda comes across as generally unpleasant in the post but it could be because she's venting about a long running issue.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

I would be extremely angry if my mom posted something like that on facebook. But my mom isn't great with posting appropriate things on facebook to start with, so every time I see her post something about me I start getting angry preemptively.

yeah I mean my gf would be absolutely mortified if anyone posted something like that and while some of my friends/family might be more candid than that they should still respect her boundaries. It's kind of weird that the husband didn't seem aware of how distasteful his wife would find it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

I'm all about parents/in-laws/other family making fun of your sex life in hilariously embarrassing ways, but uh, that kind of poo poo is good and cool between family members or in their/your home, not on Facebook, which is extremely inappropriate. No one needs to see that in public. She has every reason to be pissed off about her private life showing up on public social media. I would be too. How does that crap?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The gently caress is up with people whose parents just stroll in to their houses? Call/text to let people know you’re coming and then knock and wait. It’s someone else’s home for christ sake.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I'm all about parents/in-laws/other family making fun of your sex life in hilariously embarrassing ways, but uh, that kind of poo poo is good and cool between family members or in their/your home, not on Facebook, which is extremely inappropriate. No one needs to see that in public. She has every reason to be pissed off about her private life showing up on public social media. I would be too. How does that crap?

She didn't say "Oh, I walked in on my DIL deepthroating my son, she has great ball technique!", she implied that she walked in on them at an inopportune moment which may or may not have been sex. Which is a thing that almost all couples do and is pretty much assumed by everyone.

The wife needs to get over it, no one is assuming they don't have sex.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

cowofwar posted:

The gently caress is up with people whose parents just stroll in to their houses? Call/text to let people know you’re coming and then knock and wait. It’s someone else’s home for christ sake.

this is a thing lovely parents do to make their children feel constantly on guard and unsafe!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Harrow posted:

I just had a horrible realization that this is exactly what my mom would do if she walked in on me and my girlfriend

Be sure to lock and bolt the door next time you're getting frisky.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

You keep aggressively missing the point here, so I'm gonna use small words. She is not mad about the movie. She is mad because he is not putting work into their relationship.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

I hope that was something he chose for himself because that would be a hilariously irresponsible thing for a teacher to assign.

I had a genetics class where heritability of blood types was a major point of study, as it's textbook simple and also includes an example of incomplete dominance (blood type AB). The prof admitted that it was always a worrying topic to cover because of the risk of someone realising that their dad couldn't be their dad.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Patrick Spens posted:

You keep aggressively missing the point here, so I'm gonna use small words. She is not mad about the movie. She is mad because he is not putting work into their relationship.

Looks like you are aggressively missing basic english

quote:

but I can still understand how she'd be upset he fell through with datenight and took the first chance to just bail.

I get what she's mad about and even explicitly outlined it, he put no effort in and bounced first chance he had. I'm just saying she comes across kind of insufferable too in her own post and we only have one side of the encounter.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

RoboRodent posted:

I had a genetics class where heritability of blood types was a major point of study, as it's textbook simple and also includes an example of incomplete dominance (blood type AB). The prof admitted that it was always a worrying topic to cover because of the risk of someone realising that their dad couldn't be their dad.

At the point where your old enough to be learning about that level of biology you'd think you sorta have a right to know.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Haifisch posted:

Holy poo poo, the "I just want to beat his rear end" page. :stare:

:stonk:

That's a rabbit hole all right. All I'm going to say is, no forgiveness without repentance.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Patrick Spens posted:

Crazy roommate (21M) is making my (21F) life hell, can he legally kick me out if my name is on the lease? + a few other qs (NS, Canada)

OP also posted:

Thanks for your input, it's good to know I don't have to start looking for a new place yet. I am concerned about what happens when the 6 months of prepaid rent are up and I'm on the hook for the full monthly payment because there's no way I can afford it even if I'm working full-time. Since my roommate has repeatedly verbally agreed to "cover all of it" in relation to the rent shouldn't he pay the remainder of the lease too, or at least the cancellation fee for breaking the lease?

OP also posted:

This is all really good advice and thanks for taking the time to answer. I agree the alcohol is a problem and I've been trying to cut back but it's hard. Believe it or not things were alright before this, I had some lovely roommates, but I was working and in school. I don't know what it is about this living arrangement in particular that makes everything so much more difficult because on paper it should be a good opportunity at least. Instead I owe my ex thousands of dollars. I was talking to my mom and she told me to try to get him to pay off my car...
We

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't give your keys to people you don't trust not to just barge into your house without knocking.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I missed that the roommate/ex-boyfriend is also unemployed and not in school. What the gently caress do these guys do all day? Aside from WoW, I mean. What is he going to do when the money runs out, which will probably be pretty soon if he keeps up his spending habits. I think these two should get back together, honestly. They sound like a really good match for each other.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

quote:

I was talking to my mom and she told me to try to get him to pay off my car...

I may have detected the root problem here.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Don't give your keys to people you don't trust not to just barge into your house without knocking.

I told my dad that he had to start texting me before he was going to come over because it was disruptive to get surprise visits all the time.

A few days later I heard the back door opening when he hadn't told me he was coming round and prepared to get really angry with him, only to find two complete strangers in my house preparing to rob me.

After that, my dad realised his surprise visits had become not just disruptive but actually terrifying to me so silver lining I guess.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

The reddit comments are full of people going "in my family, it's totally normal to waltz into family member's houses without knocking or calling ahead", which a)doesn't help OP's issue, and b)sounds miserable if you value your privacy at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Haifisch posted:

The reddit comments are full of people going "in my family, it's totally normal to waltz into family member's houses without knocking or calling ahead", which a)doesn't help OP's issue, and b)sounds miserable if you value your privacy at all.

every single post on relationships will have at least one redditor who will defend whatever manic craziness is in the post

that one where the girlfriend wants to mutually inspect each others poop with their bf? i looked up the thread and not only are there are dozens of posts with people saying its totes normal to just casually walk in to brush your teeth while your partner is actively making GBS threads, there is a poster who describes how their relationship with their boyfriend began when they were both in a group chat dedicated to sharing pictures of your own poo poo, and discussing the various consistencies/difficulties expelling said poo poo

reddit weird man