Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Was there a single person who had an honest expectation of Custodes being usable as a standalone faction in this edition? They were completely usable as bolt-ons in Imperial soup, and I'm not convinced that the population of people who were crying out for a full Custodes army was more important to serve than the population of xenos players who'd like to get a book sometime in between the power armour releases.

I'm not sure. I've seen a couple people on reddit claiming they had bought a 30k custodes force while heresy and 40k shared the same rules because they could use it to play against either 30k or 40k armies, and their area had a low population of 30k players so now they were mostly unable to play. I've got a couple squads of custodes and was expecting them to be in a FW index, or at least be more usable. As is, now that I've got a codex, if I want to include them I'm either losing a command point for an auxiliary support detachment, taking a patrol detachment with an HQ that doesn't get Red Thirst, or losing Red Thirst entirely for my main detachment. It makes them somewhat hard to use and I've never actually seen them on the table at my store.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Some of the Xenos books may be tied to model releases (fingers crossed), so they might be worth the wait. I know some of my Imperial soup friends are salivating over these upcoming releases, so it’s probably not a bad business decision. We might have to wait an extra month or so for a Codex. I guess if you were hoping for rules in time for tournament X that’s a shame, but most casual players are going to be “eh” - life gets in the way of playing with plastic space barbies. Another month here or there is nothing.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

I'm not sure. I've seen a couple people on reddit claiming they had bought a 30k custodes force while heresy and 40k shared the same rules because they could use it to play against either 30k or 40k armies, and their area had a low population of 30k players so now they were mostly unable to play. I've got a couple squads of custodes and was expecting them to be in a FW index, or at least be more usable. As is, now that I've got a codex, if I want to include them I'm either losing a command point for an auxiliary support detachment, taking a patrol detachment with an HQ that doesn't get Red Thirst, or losing Red Thirst entirely for my main detachment. It makes them somewhat hard to use and I've never actually seen them on the table at my store.

It stuns me that there would be people with a 30k Custodes army who would have literally no other 40k army, but I'm out of touch so maybe that's a significant number, who knows.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

It stuns me that there would be people with a 30k Custodes army who would have literally no other 40k army, but I'm out of touch so maybe that's a significant number, who knows.
They wanted to use their 30k custodes because 30k custodes are loving busted as hell.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Corrode posted:

Don't forget there are a lot of people out there who build grey plastic (or even paint tabletop or better) and then sell it all and start new armies.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I might like pick up one Custodes model from a bitz store like I've done with a couple of Primaris releases. But nothing more beyond that.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Yeah I have no clue if that's a significant number or not. The 30k sculpts are really cool though, at least for the dreads. Depending on which models actually get rules I'll probably end up with a decent size custodes army as army #4

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've been looking for a second army for a while now and Custodes fit the bill for me perfectly. Low model count, new relatively easy to paint models, and badass space-spears? gently caress yes, that's exactly what I want.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Its probably gonna be next year before I start custodes since admech are ahead of them in the queue but by god do I want to build an army of them backed up by stormtroopers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

They wanted to use their 30k custodes because 30k custodes are loving busted as hell.

It's good to know that my maxim of Forge World Are Bad still holds true.

Artum posted:

Its probably gonna be next year before I start custodes since admech are ahead of them in the queue but by god do I want to build an army of them backed up by stormtroopers.

I'll probably pick some up to gently caress around with at some point especially if you can get like a 10-20 model army of them, but there's at least one other project ahead of them.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TKIY posted:

Loving this bit:

"Every upcoming Adeptus Custodes kit has been cunningly designed so you can also use it to build an HQ option armed with the same wargear as his brethren. This means you’ll be able to take Shield-Captains in inviolate Allarus Terminator armour or mount them on fast-moving Dawneagle jetbikes."

Do you think this might be used to bring back HQ on vehicle / HQ in armor options that have been removed from other codices?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly I'm 1000% more hype for Thousand Sons than the Custodes release. I may collecting and painting my Death Guard Boys right now but goddamn if I don't want to throw Tzaangors at people.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

It's good to know that my maxim of Forge World Are Bad still holds true.
30k had a really good run and was in a much better place than 7th edition 40k. Inferno wrecked that. Even the usual FW level of editing was missing and the armies featured in that book came out way too strong compared to the existing ones. It's hard to be mad about it though given how things turned out. :smith:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Safety Factor posted:

30k had a really good run and was in a much better place than 7th edition 40k. Inferno wrecked that. Even the usual FW level of editing was missing and the armies featured in that book came out way too strong compared to the existing ones. It's hard to be mad about it though given how things turned out. :smith:

How did things turn out?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

AnEdgelord posted:

How did things turn out?

Alan Bligh died of cancer, and then his spirit killed Pawl from beyond the grave

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, I really wanted to do Custodes in 30k but stopped because of how disgusting they are. I like playing people more than once.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Successfully completed my second bit of post-Christmas painting - a present from my wife who knew I was despairing about getting hold of a second fire prism for a tournament list (they’ve been continuously out of stock online for 2+ months), and cunningly found a NIB old school kit on eBay as a surprise present.

“Don’t talk to me or my son ever again”

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Alan Bligh died of cancer, and then his spirit killed Pawl from beyond the grave

At least some good will come from his passing.

Now if Matt Ward would drive off a cliff and take ChooChoo...

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

One_Wing posted:

Successfully completed my second bit of post-Christmas painting - a present from my wife who knew I was despairing about getting hold of a second fire prism for a tournament list (they’ve been continuously out of stock online for 2+ months), and cunningly found a NIB old school kit on eBay as a surprise present.

“Don’t talk to me or my son ever again”

Oh, very nice. I love the blue lines showing through underneath, particularly on the right one.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TKIY posted:

At least some good will come from his passing.

Now if Matt Ward would drive off a cliff and take ChooChoo...

Remember when Pawl's AoS experience meant that he was well placed to tell us a 4+ invulnerable save was really good? lmao

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
When you use Eldar Jetbikes, you measure distance to and from the hull, right? Not the bases?

Also, would it be okay to use a Hellion hover board in place of a jet bike for an Autarch on Jetbike? I like the unit, but holy poo poo that model is garbage.

I wanted to just get a normal Autarch and strap him onto a hover board.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Corrode posted:

Remember when Pawl's AoS experience meant that he was well placed to tell us a 4+ invulnerable save was really good? lmao

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

When you use Eldar Jetbikes, you measure distance to and from the hull, right? Not the bases?

Also, would it be okay to use a Hellion hover board in place of a jet bike for an Autarch on Jetbike? I like the unit, but holy poo poo that model is garbage.

I wanted to just get a normal Autarch and strap him onto a hover board.

You always measure to the base unless the model's rules specify you don't. Hovertanks (Falcons, Fire Prisms etc.) have such a rule, but jetbikes don't.

I would be fine with a hover board autarch. Just make it look cool, which I'm sure you will.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I am glad custodes are next because I've spent too much recently and it's good to have something I don't care about.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I want the Baron to return on a hoverboard.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Finally had my first decent game of 8th! Got back into the hobby 1 year ago at the end of 7th after a 15 year break. Things have sure changed since Rogue Trader, 2nd, and 3rd...only gotten to play a few small games with my kids, plus 2 while I was traveling for work. Those two didn't count for much to me because they were only around 1000 points (or less), and the other guy still decided to squeeze in Pask, 3 different Guard regiments, Forgeworld flyers and artillery, etc. Not exactly what I was going for when I told him I was getting back in and looking for friendly games.

Today I got to have a 'proper' game against a buddy, 1500 points, my World Eaters / Khorne Demons vs. his Cadian / Scion Guard army. We rolled Maelstrom, Cloak and Shadows, Dawn of war deployment.

My army was Kharn, Chaos Terminator Lord, Exalted Champion, Dark Apostle, Demon Prince with Wings, Terminators, Berserkers, 2 units of 10 Cultists, Hellbrute, Rhino, and 30 Bloodletters.

His army had a Commander, Commissar, 3 Chimeras, 1 Wyvern, a Mortar squad, a Heavy Bolter Squad, 3 units of vets with special weapons, a Tempstor Prime, Taurox Prime with gatling, and several Scions squads with melta and plas.

Battlefield was very open in the middle with lots of ruins and hills along the perimeter. I ended up with the first turn. Wasn't really sure how to handle his gunline and was concerned about his deepstriking Scions coming in and killing my Rhino, Hellbrute, or other important targets. I decided to run most of my infantry up the left towards his infantry, using the heaviest cover and objective concentration, with the Rhino and Hellbrute trying to use the limited cover to advance up the right, while my Lord and Terminators deepstriked in near his Wyvern. My hope was that they could make a couple long charges and destroy or tie up a few key targets. Sadly, they both failed their charges; the Terminators at least shot up a Special Weapon squad to earn me first blood. He then wiped the Lord and Terminators out, and started slaughtering my Bloodletters with his Wyvern and Mortars. I did my best to get everything forward, but my Rhino ended up getting popped, and everyone inside was killed before they could assault, other than the Dark Apostle. The game ended up being a 6-5 loss for me, way closer than it should have been. I was able to draw some really lucky objectives which I used my Cultists to secure, and those two squads were the only thing I had left when the game ended after turn 5. In return I managed to kill 3 infantry squads, damage a couple others, and damage one vehicle. I almost killed his Commander (which would have given me Slay the Warlord and I also had an Assassinate objective) when I charged my Dark Apostle past his tanks; knocked him down to 2 wounds, but then he ran away and his whole army nuked my Apostle.

I need to find a better way to use my Terminator Lord and Terminators for deep strikes. They were wiped out immediately, but they did earn me first blood and did soak up a decent amount of his first turn shooting. Also need to find a better way to get my Bloodletters and Berserkers into combat. Both were annihilated before they could get into combat, which was a real bummer. I think in this game we needed a bit more terrain in the middle, and I should have tried to take better advantage of the -1 to his shooting from night fighting. Regardless, I would have had to close the distance to get into assault so not sure how much better I could have done with that.

I have a Bloodthirster and a Forge Fiend to add which will bring me up to 2000 exactly. Hoping the Forge Fiend will give me a bit more of a shooting presence, and the Bloodthirster just needs to do its thing. I have some more basic CSMs and Cultists that I can add too. Would add a 2nd rhino and Berserkers, but don't want to invest in the old models; my current ones are mostly converted from Age of Sigmar Khorne models. Hoping for those new Berserkers this year!

Excited to get some more games in soon!

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, looks nice, unfortunately I have no clue how to properly green stuff.

Honestly, it was almost entirely saw work (jewelery saw). Took the Gravis and attached a bunch of sawed, chopped and filed pieces of the resin Calgar from the honour guard box. I've done the same thing with Captain Lysander of the Imperial Fists now.

Dug out a WIP shot -

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Also need to find a better way to get my Bloodletters and Berserkers into combat.
Excited to get some more games in soon!
An Idea for the Bloodletters would be to summon them in. Any Chaos character can do it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harkano posted:

Honestly, it was almost entirely saw work (jewelery saw). Took the Gravis and attached a bunch of sawed, chopped and filed pieces of the resin Calgar from the honour guard box. I've done the same thing with Captain Lysander of the Imperial Fists now.

Dug out a WIP shot -

What jewelry saw do you prefer?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just looking at the Custodes stuff from the Index what loadout is likely to be better? It seems like the Sentinel Blade and Storm Shield would be preferable so your ridiculously expensive guys can survive.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Just looking at the Custodes stuff from the Index what loadout is likely to be better? It seems like the Sentinel Blade and Storm Shield would be preferable so your ridiculously expensive guys can survive.

If you aren't giving your Custodes the guardian spears simply for the cool factor I don't even know what to tell you.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What jewelry saw do you prefer?

One I got 6 years ago on eBay from a now unfortunately defunct seller. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/230714806620?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Looks a bit like this one -

Get one with a decent pack of blades, as they will break relatively often.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

An Idea for the Bloodletters would be to summon them in. Any Chaos character can do it.

Hm I really should try that, haven't put much thought into it yet. My current list has a couple good candidates for it, including a Dark Apostle and an Exalted Champion. Might help me get them into combat. I'm running 30 to try to keep at least 20 alive for the bonus to hit, but they died like flies today to Guard Mortars and the Wyvern.

Thanks for the idea!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

If you aren't giving your Custodes the guardian spears simply for the cool factor I don't even know what to tell you.

Apparently I have Bad Opinions because I think that giant fuckoff sword looks hilariously awesome.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently I have Bad Opinions because I think that giant fuckoff sword looks hilariously awesome.

Can confirm you have bad opinions in this matter but fortunately yeah the sword and shield is just unbelievably superior as things stand, I'm still hoping that spears get something like Block back because that was an incredibly cool rule.

Also I've been a bad ham and started painting guilliman after 9 months instead of finishing my workaday troops.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Hey all DC area hams, I’m planning to have time on the 21st of January for a game or two. Where’s a good place to plan for a game, who is interested, how big/competitive a list would you prefer I bring, and what army should I bring?

Tyranid are my thing, but they don’t pack as well as Death Guard. Really I’m just eager to meet some posters and get some battle in on my business/family road trip so I’m fine with whatever.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So I've been thinking about making an allied Mechanicum force that's cross-compatible with 40k (until Fires of Cyraxis comes out immediately before the heat death of the universe) and I really want to make a Biologis force. Only thing is everything would probably have to be converted because of their "flesh is just a biological machine" gimmick and I've been looking at Boneripper as a base for a huge 'roided out Magos and rat ogres as Castellax and crypt ghouls as tech thralls and I can feel myself falling down the rabbit hole again nooooooo

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Pendent posted:

Two shields and the rest spears. You are putting them in a land raider anyway. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

edit; never mind

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 16, 2018