Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My dad used to knock and then immediately open the door. Then when I would get annoyed, he would say "But I knocked!" He would also assume I was hiding something because I didn't want him just barging in unannounced. Now I live far away so it's not an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

that one where the girlfriend wants to mutually inspect each others poop with their bf? i looked up the thread and not only are there are dozens of posts with people saying its totes normal to just casually walk in to brush your teeth while your partner is actively making GBS threads, there is a poster who describes how their relationship with their boyfriend began when they were both in a group chat dedicated to sharing pictures of your own poo poo, and discussing the various consistencies/difficulties expelling said poo poo

reddit weird man
What got me was all the people in the update post going "you shouldn't have violated his privacy like that, you made it weirder by secretly taking a photo, you should calmly talk to him about his 100% normal and okay fetish, etc".

He's getting off on sniffing his child's diapers. How broken are these people's 'this thing is okay and normal to do' meters?!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gluten Freeman posted:

I told my dad that he had to start texting me before he was going to come over because it was disruptive to get surprise visits all the time.

A few days later I heard the back door opening when he hadn't told me he was coming round and prepared to get really angry with him, only to find two complete strangers in my house preparing to rob me.

After that, my dad realised his surprise visits had become not just disruptive but actually terrifying to me so silver lining I guess.

holy poo poo

I want to know more about the attempted burglary/robbery

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Haifisch posted:

What got me was all the people in the update post going "you shouldn't have violated his privacy like that, you made it weirder by secretly taking a photo, you should calmly talk to him about his 100% normal and okay fetish, etc".

He's getting off on sniffing his child's diapers. How broken are these people's 'this thing is okay and normal to do' meters?!

Shaming people for their sexuality is wrong, you see, therefore any and all sexual behaviors must be tolerated or you're basically Hitler

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
My dad literally doesn't know where I live. There is no reason in particular why I haven't told him, he has asked a few times, I've just never seen a reason why he needs to know.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Haifisch posted:

no not that one, the one where the dudes GF is upset bc he doesn't want her in the bathroom when he's using it

the comments devolved into an argument about whether or not not wanting your partner to watch you drop a deuce means you have trust and intimacy issues

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

no not that one, the one where the dudes GF is upset bc he doesn't want her in the bathroom when he's using it

the comments devolved into an argument about whether or not not wanting your partner to watch you drop a deuce means you have trust and intimacy issues
Reading comprehension: What even is it?

But I can see reddit being just as weird about watching your partner on the loo, because they basically flip a coin to decide whether any given OP's boundaries are reasonable. And it usually lands on tails when the OP is reasonable and the other person is completely loving weird.

girl pants posted:

Shaming people for their sexuality is wrong, you see, therefore any and all sexual behaviors must be tolerated or you're basically Hitler
You're joking but most /r/relationships comments are people parroting stuff they read elsewhere without knowing the underlying logic(or dramatically oversimplifyng it).

Secretly recording your roommate showering is wrong, therefore secret recordings are always wrong, therefore beep boop do not take a photo of your husband huffing diapers.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Haifisch posted:

You're joking but most /r/relationships comments are people parroting stuff they read elsewhere without knowing the underlying logic(or dramatically oversimplifyng it).

I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not joking -- people have tried to convince me that being a straight person into kink is somehow queer.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wonder if diaper huffer had been smelling his own poo poo until he found out his kid's was the way to go, or if he had been going on poo poo safaris to get off

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My [35F] mother [71F] is being taken advantage of by her church. She's already given them $134,000 from her retirement savings and I dont know how to get her to stop giving them money.

quote:

After my father died last year, my mother started going to church. She usually only went on holidays, but now she's going every week. I don't live near her so I initially liked the idea of her being more active in the church because I wanted her to make some new friends and not be so lonely without my father.

When I was in town earlier this week, she asked if I wanted to go shopping with her. While we were out, she said that she wanted to look at some washers and dryers. I asked her why and she said that the living quarters in the church needed new ones.

I asked her why she was buying them and not the church, and she said that the minister there asked her to buy them. Her church has a lot of members so I asked why they couldn't buy them and she just shrugged her shoulders.

I asked what else she's bought for the church, and I was enraged by the answer. She's paid for landscaping, painting, new carpet, furnace repairs, bus repairs, a new commuter van, and a new roof. The rest of the money was given in cash as tithes.

I asked her why she was spending her retirement money on this stuff and she replied that the church really needs these things. I then asked her if they know that its coming out of her retirement money, and she said yeah.

They've convinced her that giving your money to the church will ensure a blessing from God. I've tried getting her to stop, but she wont listen. I'm afraid she's going to give them all of her savings and be left with nothing.

tl;dr: My mother is giving all of her savings to the church because they've convinced her that God will bless her if she does.
:murder: prosperity gospel churches.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm sure the church will take care of her when she's out of money

( lol )

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

holy poo poo

I want to know more about the attempted burglary/robbery

It wasn't very exciting, I came out of the room to find one guy in the house and another at the back door very surprised to find someone in what they thought was an empty house. I just told them to leave and they did. The only things they took were the car & house keys, which was probably the worst possible thing they could take for my sanity. But I just got all the locks changed and lived with heightened paranoia for a month or so and it was fine.

I learned a valuable lesson though, which is that my dog is absolutely worthless as a guard dog. She actually had a great time, because she got all the police officers to throw her tennis ball for her.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I think it should be a bannable offence to mention a dog and not post the dog.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Solefald posted:

I think it should be a bannable offence to mention a dog and not post punch the dog.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Haifisch posted:

My [35F] mother [71F] is being taken advantage of by her church. She's already given them $134,000 from her retirement savings and I dont know how to get her to stop giving them money.

:murder: prosperity gospel churches.

The biggest crock of poo poo is how churches don't pay taxes yet they expect all their members to tithe. Whenever a church catches fire the fire department should show up to make sure the fire doesn't spread to surrounding structures and watch it burn, it was God's will.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gluten Freeman posted:

It wasn't very exciting, I came out of the room to find one guy in the house and another at the back door very surprised to find someone in what they thought was an empty house. I just told them to leave and they did. The only things they took were the car & house keys, which was probably the worst possible thing they could take for my sanity. But I just got all the locks changed and lived with heightened paranoia for a month or so and it was fine.

I learned a valuable lesson though, which is that my dog is absolutely worthless as a guard dog. She actually had a great time, because she got all the police officers to throw her tennis ball for her.

Police didn't shoot the dog, fake story.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think we need another amazing big brother story

I [23m] will take care of my brother[12m] from now on

quote:

I will try to be as succinct as possible but give you the most amount of details to provide me the help/advice/criticism I'm looking for.
My mom never chose decent guys, for example, the brother's father I'm taking care now is an ex-crack addict and an ex-convict that don't give a drat about his son, he tries to reach him twice a year but only to make him feel bad about himself (get late to catch him, don't give him attention, yada yada).

My mom isn't a bad person, in fact, she raised most of us with decent standards in terms of ethics, culture and moral values. We grew up in poor situations (like 5 people living in a house of 2-3 rooms, eating only the necessary, stuff like that).

Currently, she is dating a guy that I thought he was a good person until I received a call a few weeks ago that he beat up her so badly that she couldn't remember what happened and she stayed in a hospital for couple days.

We tried to talk to her about moving out, coming living with me, and other stuff, but instead she decided to move to another city and start dating the guy again (mind you, he was sleeping in her house again). When I discovered it I went there and packed up my little brother stuff and talked to her about this nonsense. She basically is denying what happened to her ( I don't want to discuss this now, I'm not in the mood) but she agreed to let me raise my brother without fuss.

I don't earn much, but for my county standards I'm a low middle class, I'm doing a graduation on a scholarship, but I'm kind of lost of how should I handle the situation, my brother always looked to me as an example so I know it won't be a problem to handle his behaviour (he always obeyed me more than my mother). But I don't want to be his father, I want him to understand that I'm his big brother and I'm doing my best to give him a decent life. I'll talk to him today about how things will be in my house, mostly because I want him to focus on study (we will probably study a lot together as I'm willing to learn other languages too), also I will explain him that I will teach him how to be independent (how to cook, discipline with study, chores around home) and that I won't be replacing his parents. I'm confused if I should avoid some type of behavior/communication with him too. I want to bond more and more as he lacks a lot of it as his father abadoned him and his mother is kind of doing the same. I'll contact a therapist for us, and I want to enroll him in a fight and a sport. I am talking with a lawyer friend of mine to understand what I should be aware of (just in case my mom goes crazy, which I doubt but I don't want to rely on luck). I think if I save till the middle of next year I can afford buying a house for us with a garage, which would be great as I want him to have friends and bring them over. I think is important to mention that I'm plannin on going full work from home as soon I have some savings for it..... Thanks

Edit 1: thanks each of you that are giving your opinion on the matter, I'm reading and re reading each of your comment, I'll respond when I have time but I taking my time reading and understanding each comment. Thank you all again

TL;DR: I will take care of my little brother because my mother is in an abusive relationship, I need advice to not mess up

His response to someone in the comments telling him he's a great brother:

quote:

omg, your words mean a lot to me, I won't cry here in my office in the middle of my coworkers, I WON'T....

What a good brother

Solefald posted:

I think it should be a bannable offence to mention a dog and not post the dog.

Sorry!!

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
That is a good dog

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

What did diaper-sniffing dad do when he didn't have a newborn child? Rummage other people's trash? Sniff his own? Or was he just like a normal guy with a kink he just couldn't satisfy until he finally had his own kid? What was he gonna do after the kid was potty-trained? I hope the kid never finds out. I hope normal mom gets full custody and a restraining order.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Rubellavator posted:

What did diaper-sniffing dad do when he didn't have a newborn child? Rummage other people's trash? Sniff his own? Or was he just like a normal guy with a kink he just couldn't satisfy until he finally had his own kid? What was he gonna do after the kid was potty-trained? I hope the kid never finds out. I hope normal mom gets full custody and a restraining order.

You only know once you smell it for the first time. It awakened in him a terrible, slumbering evil.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I think we’re all better off not knowing what he did before getting a steady fix from his progeny.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rubellavator posted:

He was the guy from the old smoking gun article who kept getting caught standing at the bottom of the womens' restrooms at national parks.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

Remember Pamperchu?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rubellavator posted:

He was probably like the girlfriend who sniffed her poopy butt finger and then wiped it under the bed and opened the windows.

Or that other guy that shits on random places in the house while the wife is out.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 16, 2018

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My [25M] girlfriend [25F] of two and a half years made fun of my trains.

quote:

My girlfriend Sophie and I have been dating for about two and a half years now. Everything has been going well so far, and I really like her. She’s honestly great: pretty, smart, funny, and kind. Or at least I thought she was.

For background, I’m a huge fan of trains. I’ve always been fascinated with trains ever since I was a small child. My parents encouraged the hobby and its just been something that has stuck with me for a while. Currently, I really enjoy model train sets. Its just been my hobby over the year and the landscape I use for my trains to pass through has honestly gotten to be very elaborate and extensive and somewhat expensive (though I have a well paying job, so it isn’t a big deal to me).

Sophie’s friend, Emily, texted me and asked if the two of us could meet at a cafe near us, saying she had something really important to tell me. I agreed and when we met she made me promise to keep what she was telling me between us. Apparently, my girlfriend has repeatedly mocked me and made jokes about my hobby when she’s with her friends. One time, I called her while she was hanging out with her friends and she actually said “Excuse me for a moment ‘The Conductor’ iscalling me”. Emily said that I seemed like such a caring and thoughtful guy and that she felt the need to tell me this since I’ve always been so nice to her.

Honestly, I’m devastated that she would make fun of me behind my back like that. Is this worth trying to work through, or should I just break things off with her? I really care about her, but I’m also hurt that she would mock me.

tl;dr: Girlfriend made fun of my trains, now I'm unsure if I wish to continue the relationship.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Emily wants the D-train.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

dudeness posted:

Emily wants the D-train.

Run a train etc

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
A girl[~my age] who works at Chipotle put a smiley face on my[M/19] burrito bowl. How to interpret this?

quote:

So there's a Chipotle I visit relatively frequently. At this store there is a girl who is often behind the counter and serves me. She's very nice and I think she's kinda cute and kinda we smile back and forth.

I ordered a bowl to go and when she put the lid on it she wrote down what it was for the cashier. What I failed to notice at the time was that she also drew a smiley face on it, too.

I'd like to ask her out for coffee or something, but I want to make sure I'm interpreting this the right way. What do you think?

TL;DR - Girl working at Chipotle puts a smiley face on my food's lid. How do I interpret this?

tl;dr: Mandatory summary/question!
How did people like this survive before they could ask the the internet about every tiny thing?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Haifisch posted:

A girl[~my age] who works at Chipotle put a smiley face on my[M/19] burrito bowl. How to interpret this?

How did people like this survive before they could ask the the internet about every tiny thing?

They asked their friends, got terrible advice, and had painful and embarrassing experiences. Now they can ask reddit for terrible advice!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
All the restaurants i go to put those Mr. Yuck stickers on my food boxes.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

quote:

I ordered a bowl to go and when she put the lid on it she wrote down what it was for the cashier. What I failed to notice at the time was that she also drew a smiley face on it, too.

She wants the D...

...from the cashier.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm sure the church will take care of her when she's out of money

( lol )

My friend it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter heaven, by impoverishing her to death they are guaranteeing her place in the Afterlife

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Palpek posted:

Another day, another total loser manchild with a girlfriend who just doesn't know if she should break up after years and years:

Is this worth breaking up with my 27 year old bf with of almost 3 years?

This guy is a loser but if you want to go somewhere and the other person is asleep loving wake them up. Saying "I didn't want to wake you" and then complaining you weren't up to do something is ridiculous

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Me [35F] with my husband [37M] of 9 years, we agreed before marriage that we'd raise our kids [baby boy, 2M, 4M, 6F] Christian and Jewish but after moving back to his home state he wants to raise them as only Christian so other kids don't think they are "weird".

quote:

My husband was raised protestant, and I was raised in a Jewish home, although my parents have never been what I would consider religious. We did acknowledge certain holidays, but we didn't attend synagogue other than that.

For the most part since I married my husband, I have attended church with him to the extent we attend - mostly when we visit his family in Nebraska. I have always been okay with this arrangement since it makes him happy and I didn't have a very strong connection to Judaism. I did, however, want our children to at least have that same connection I had. In other words, I felt it was important for my kids to at least know about their background and history. This was something I also felt was important because I didn't want them to have less in common with my parents than their other grandparents.

My husband and I discussed this prior to getting married, and he said at the time that he supported me and my desire to teach our future children about their heritage.

This worked out alright until we moved to Nebraska last summer. We live close to his parents, and there has been a much bigger push for us to attend church with them, which is a side issue.

The real problem is that since we moved to Nebraska my husband has been trying to convince me to de-emphasize our family's Jewish background. It started with him asking me to not talk about it as much to our daughter because it might "confuse" her. Then he didn't want to travel from our city to the closest nearby with a synagogue for Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur because it was too much of a hassle in his opinion. I also normally bake some traditional foods for Rosh Hashanah, and he didn't want me to do that either because he thought our kids wouldn't want to eat it, even though normally they do eat what I make.

Same story for Hanukkah, but his reason this time was because it interfered with different Christmas events going on, which is true for some nights but not all.

I finally talked to him about this after New Year's, and he admitted that he had been trying to discourage me from teaching our kids more about Judaism and my family's beliefs/heritage because he doesn't want other kids to think our kids are weird. He wants them to be raised solely Christian so they "fit in" with their peers. I know that we live in an area that his heavily Christian, but it's not like there are no other Jewish people around where we live even if there aren't many or they are further away from us.

I've tried talking to him about it, but he feels strongly that I'm hurting our kids by "forcing" this on them and preventing them from "fitting in" with their friends, which I don't understand because really there are only a few things I want to do with them. It's not like I am trying to raise them as orthodox, so I don't see how it's negatively impacting them.

He won't reconsider, so I'm not sure what to do. I would like to be able to teach my kids some of these things and mark certain days with them, but part of me thinks that maybe I should just concede since probably due to my in-laws our kids will only identify as Christian as they get older.

I would like to know if there is a better way to talk to him about this, though.

I've also expressed to him how hurt I am that he seems to be going back on what we agreed before marriage, but he doesn't see anything wrong with it. Is it unfair of me to be disappointed that he now wants to raise our kids as only Christian even though he agreed to raise them as both Christian and Jewish before we married.

Or should I just let this go and move on for the sake of peace. It is important to me, but I'm not sure if I can change anything (see comment above about in-laws).

tl;dr: My husband agreed before marriage to raise our kids as both Christian and Jewish. Since moving back to his home state, he has changed his mind and now thinks that we should raise them as Christian only so they fit in and aren't "weird". Is there any way to change his mind on this? Is this a battle worth fighting when I think ultimately they will only identify as Christian due to my in-laws' influence? Am I wrong to be upset with him for changing our plans?

I mean, being the children of divorced parents is probably going to suck more, but is also the only proper way of handling it at this point.

Or you could just get yourself be bullied into erasing your heritage. I'm sure there will be no other consequences.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

haha, he's not worried about other kids thinking his kids are weird he's worried about him thinking his kids are weird

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He wants them to be raised solely Christian so they "fit in" with their peers.
That guy's gonna be in for a rude awakening once he realizes how many thousands of things outside his control can cause them not to fit in. Only not, because

Brother Entropy posted:

haha, he's not worried about other kids thinking his kids are weird he's worried about him thinking his kids are weird

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gluten Freeman posted:

I think we need another amazing big brother story

I [23m] will take care of my brother[12m] from now on

This dude loving rules.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’m curious if you know of any articles or could recommend a book discussing medical anthropology, because that’s honestly pretty interesting. I’ve been on antidepressants/mood stabilizers on and off since my teens (regularly for the past seven or so years, but with a lot of switching/titrating etc) and a lot of the time it felt like my doctors didn’t actually give a poo poo about figuring out the root problem and focused on ‘well, if you don’t feel the meds are working, let’s just increase the dose/add a supplemental secondary med’, sometimes with disastrous results.

the book i have is an old textbook called culture and health, i dunno how good or bad it is relative to other books

I found this article which seems to hit the core of the idea though especially when it comes to cultural variance in treatment of mental illness

https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/medical/med_4.htm

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This guy is a loser but if you want to go somewhere and the other person is asleep loving wake them up. Saying "I didn't want to wake you" and then complaining you weren't up to do something is ridiculous

maybe she doesn't want to be responsible for having to wake up a grown man like she's his loving mom?

alarm clocks exist, if you know something is important to your girlfriend you should make the effort to get up for it, not sleep in and then whine that she didn't wake you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

maybe she doesn't want to be responsible for having to wake up a grown man like she's his loving mom?

alarm clocks exist, if you know something is important to your girlfriend you should make the effort to get up for it, not sleep in and then whine that she didn't wake you up.

my gf likes going to a local breakfast place to me that's basically overbooked on the weekend unless you head over at 9am, but she'll still cuddle till 10 if I don't force us both out of bed. Like it's one thing if they had plans to meet up and go somewhere but if they're waking up together it seems like a dumb test to not just get up together when you're on a timeline.