Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

luck modes interesting, at the beginning theres no room for error basically at all, but im already drowning in drops and money. cool twist on the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah! posted:

luck modes interesting, at the beginning theres no room for error basically at all, but im already drowning in drops and money. cool twist on the game

i like it better, tbh

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Phantasy Star IV isn't very long even if it's an RPG. That's my suggestion. I think it would be easier to do in a week than PS2.

I made it to the end of PS4 on a rental as a kid so yeah it's totally doable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

P-Mack posted:

I made it to the end of PS4 on a rental as a kid so yeah it's totally doable.
I'm pretty sure it's like 20 hours by default and less with an emulator.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this will be the 12th game ive ever played

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh man, actually beating Super Hang On....

i also have the cartridge of it, a genesis and an arcade stick for it so that sounds like a badass excuse to break it all out

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've never played SotN before and not really played any Castlevania for more than a few minutes, but this is awesome so far.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive played the classic vanias on NES and SNES and aria of sorrow, but this is hailed as The Best and inspired slews of games so im excited to finally get around to it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

super jealous of everyone playing ths for the first time. seriously dont look anything up at all, its such a cool game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ps luck mode pwns, jjust got a ring of varda to drop killing paranthropus without any kind of grinding. game over

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i love the stupid genre name "metroidvania" because while theyre both great games super metroid is a precise lovingly crafted gem and sotn is an insane mess of including anything they could think of or get their hands on

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

extremebuff posted:

ive played the classic vanias on NES and SNES and aria of sorrow, but this is hailed as The Best and inspired slews of games so im excited to finally get around to it.
AoS is the best actually. This one doesn't have numbers pop up when you hit enemies so you have no idea how much stronger you are than you were before.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cobalt Viper posted:

AoS is the best actually. This one doesn't have numbers pop up when you hit enemies so you have no idea how much stronger you are than you were before.

jesus christ. next you're gonna tell me there's no random loot. might just skip this one guys

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

I have given Alucard some cool sunglasses so I'm feeling pretty good about this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i love the stupid genre name "metroidvania" because while theyre both great games super metroid is a precise lovingly crafted gem and sotn is an insane mess of including anything they could think of or get their hands on

Lol yeah. It's such a shame that Sony put out a "no 2d games" policy shortly after this because there's an alternate history where devs kept making incredible spritework for decades I

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ptarmigans posted:

I started this on Vita but I'm getting some pretty frequent hitches. The game stops for a split second and then resumes again. Is this something that other people have come across? It's happening multiple times a minute.
It's the PSOne Classic version rather than the Dracula X Chronicles version.

This happens to me if I've had a game installed for more than a year. Try reinstalling it, that usually fixes any issue I'm having.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

yeah lol, theres only a handful of relics tht actually increase your movement or damage capabilities, a lot of thm are flavor stuff like damage numbers/enemy names or straight stat bumps or keys. its more about the exploration and finding cool loot

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

In Training posted:

This happens to me if I've had a game installed for more than a year. Try reinstalling it, that usually fixes any issue I'm having.

Thanks! I'll give this a go. It has been installed for more than a year, seems like a strange issue.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

wow looks like for the first time ever I’ll need to ask my roommate to use his ps3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ptarmigans posted:

Thanks! I'll give this a go. It has been installed for more than a year, seems like a strange issue.

I think it happens with the bigger memory cards, I never had the problem until i bought a 16GB Card. I think the proprietary memory cards are just tremendously bad and starting to fail in their lifecycle already. Sometimes I turn the system on and it doesn't even recognize the memory.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I decided to actually unlock it in Dracula X Chronicles instead of downloading a save. I’ve played the intro a million times and it’s always badass

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

just got past Doppleganger. luck mode is hard as hell and i loving love it :q:

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Ludwig van Halen posted:

just got past Doppleganger. luck mode is hard as hell and i loving love it :q:

Hard in the beginning. Easier overall

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
even with luck mode i still had to grind a little bit to get the most epic sword

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

The Orville posted:

Hard in the beginning. Easier overall

yeah, I can already tell its getting easier. I scraped by the first skeleton after Death takes your gear with like 2hp after punching him to death.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

yeah, I can already tell its getting easier. I scraped by the first skeleton after Death takes your gear with like 2hp after punching him to death.

Lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
man, you guys are making me want to play this again

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just beat the Doppelganger. What an rear end in a top hat

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

man, you guys are making me want to play this again

so fuckin do it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

omfg th first schmoo i killed dropped a crissaegrim

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fungah! posted:

omfg th first schmoo i killed dropped a crissaegrim

game over, collect your badge

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Scylla Wyrm was a cool fakeout. This game owns a lot, I can’t believe I always gave up so early

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I sat down at a confessional and the priest stabbed the hell out of me :stare:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gonna avoid this thread for spoilers and stream my playthrough for elf's and EE's amusement

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oh hell yeah, got double jump now. It’s on.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pablo Gigante posted:

I sat down at a confessional and the priest stabbed the hell out of me :stare:

the fact that the game is filled with dozens of cool, mostly meaningless set-pieces like that is one of my favorite parts.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I haven’t had much of a problem navigating around the castle. Even though it’s a giant maze the way that areas loop around and connect to one another is pretty logical and I haven’t felt the need to consult a guide at all. What an incredibly well-designed game

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

The priest will do a few different things. You can watch a bird have a family and the chicks grow up as well

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Orville posted:

The priest will do a few different things. You can watch a bird have a family and the chicks grow up as well

i just noticed that one this game and it was so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

extremebuff posted:

gonna avoid this thread for spoilers and stream my playthrough for elf's and EE's amusement

bless

• Locked thread