Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Adaptabullshit posted:

I need something to tide me over until Monster Hunter is released, hit me with your worst.

So like, a game you can dive fully into and then be done in about 10 days?

Umm... thinking...

[Ed] how much time do you game, daily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

Umm... thinking...

Gravity Rush 2 has taken me about that long.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Feenix posted:

Umm... thinking...

I've got Horizon and UC: Lost Legacy waiting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Adaptabullshit posted:

I need something to tide me over until Monster Hunter is released, hit me with your worst.

What do you feel like playing/what are you leaning towards?

Adaptabullshit posted:

Ah, Lost Legacy is fun, it's not long. A couple of nights depending on how much you play. Might go ten days if you don't have a lot of time.

HZD is a great game which is kind of sprawling but you can just enjoy the story missions and not spend too much time dicking around. Definitely ten days worth depending how you play and I guess it depends how keen you are to launch from robo dino hunter open world to regular/mutant dino hunter open world.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 16, 2018

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Adaptabullshit posted:

ULL easy, HZD is way longer unless you game like full time

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Or should I just get Nier: Automata instead?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Adaptabullshit posted:

Or should I just get Nier: Automata instead?

They're all good games, but I think Nier will be more time intensive. On the other hand if you asked which of the three is my favourite, I'd say Nier.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yeah, I'd say NieR is the best of those 3.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

It's a PS3 game question, but someone tell re: Yakuza 5 no loving way is Majima actually dead, right? Dude's a force of nature and the coolest person in the franchise, but my gameplay time is limited this week and this poo poo seems to go on FOREVER.

Also really glad I kept up ps+ so long, Yakuza 4/5 were free and I absolutely loving love this franchise after playing 0/Kiwami

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

veni veni veni posted:

I wish they'd send me one of those. I wonder if I opted out of non receipt emails like a decade ago and forgot or something.

I got mine today but had to search for it manually

I am ashamed of how much I played Destiny 2.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Schremp Howard posted:

What the gently caress were you doing for 43 hours?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Schremp Howard posted:

I searched and it's all receipts , except some sales tax related thing on an old email acct I barely use anymore that reminded me that at some point like 15 years ago my PSN name was Spread_Eagle

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

spent the past few hours finishing yakuza 0, and while it's late I gotta say it's definitely my goty for last year (hey I started it in 2017 so it still counts). I did miss a couple other games I wanted to play (tales of berseria and xcom 2 come to mind) but I did get through most of them and I liked the whole package with yakuza way more than anything else. there's some weird jank and dated mechanics but they didn't stop me from enjoying the rest. it's crazy how much content they fit into the small areas the game takes place in and the writing is top notch. they balance the goofy with the serious better than any game I've played

gonna have to get kiwami when I can

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:goonsay: Xcom 2 was 2016.

But you should still play it because it's ridiculously good, despite what the people itt who can't wrap their heads around a tbs game have to say.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

JBP posted:

What the gently caress were you doing for 43 hours?

I had a friend group of seven that were active with the first one, so we always had people forced out on the raid content when two came out, so some people would run it again for those who missed it. I also played a fair amount of PvP. I really fell for it, believing it would be more like the last expansion to Destiny 1. It's amazing how many people (myself included) fell for it (again).

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Manatee Cannon posted:

spent the past few hours finishing yakuza 0, and while it's late I gotta say it's definitely my goty for last year (hey I started it in 2017 so it still counts). I did miss a couple other games I wanted to play (tales of berseria and xcom 2 come to mind) but I did get through most of them and I liked the whole package with yakuza way more than anything else. there's some weird jank and dated mechanics but they didn't stop me from enjoying the rest. it's crazy how much content they fit into the small areas the game takes place in and the writing is top notch. they balance the goofy with the serious better than any game I've played

gonna have to get kiwami when I can

Yakuza games are a master-class in recycling assets. You don't even realize it at first, but some of the animations have not been changed from the early PS3 titles. Even most of the gambling games are more or less the same with just some graphical facelifts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Monster Hunter World will be my personal Destiny story, in that I don't actually think it's going to be that good, but I will buy it and play it a lot since all of my uber dork friends, both goon and irl are making GBS threads their pants over it. And we can all pick crap up off the ground in a video game and act like it means something together.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

But you should still play it because it's ridiculously good, despite what the people itt who can't wrap their heads around a tbs game have to say.

Goon 1: "Think of them like chess pieces."

Goon 2: "What, it's a person."

Goon 1: "OK, but can you just try to..."

Goon 2: "The gently caress, this game it's so unrealistic lmao."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

o lol idk why I thought it was last year

I liked enemy unknown a lot but the time limit stuff put me off. also I kinda forgot about it what with the split launch between pc and console (and pc seemed buggy at launch so I didn't even consider it)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Yakuza games are a master-class in recycling assets. You don't even realize it at first, but some of the animations have not been changed from the early PS3 titles. Even most of the gambling games are more or less the same with just some graphical facelifts.

Yeah, every Yakuza game builds off the previous one even if it doesn't make sense to. One of the karaoke songs/videos is right from ISHIN!, which never saw Western release, if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately Yakuza 6 is built on an entirely brand new engine where they had to start from scratch, so a ton of the stuff from previous games isn't in it.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, every Yakuza game builds off the previous one even if it doesn't make sense to. One of the karaoke songs/videos is right from ISHIN!, which never saw Western release, if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately Yakuza 6 is built on an entirely brand new engine where they had to start from scratch, so a ton of the stuff from previous games isn't in it.

I think the series suffered with Kiwami, as you can see they recycled as much as they could, resulting in just a reskin of Yakuza 0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

And we can all pick crap up off the ground in a video game and act like it means something together.

Ummmm....Yes?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I never got one of these emails...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Woe art thee.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK after sleeping on it (and also retreating to the upper level where I stopped getting stuck on level geometry) Gascoigne was suddenly simple to defeat again.

Also I am trying to use the Kirkhammer transformed more and am starting to see the appeal

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's not a strength weapon. you're thinking of ludwig's holy blade, which actually has equal scaling in str/skill so you can do pretty much whatever you want with it. the moonlight sword is the one that shoots lasers from the dlc

they are pretty similar names tho

e: tho speaking of the dlc, the whirligig saw is pretty fast and super fun. it's one the the highest damage weapons in the game too and you can get it without fighting anything by just making a run to where it's lying in the first area

It's a STR weapon with a B scaling wich happens to deal arcane damage on certain attacks. You can go pure STR with it and deal shitloads of damage. I knew that the LHB is a quality weapon and from base game.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Something I would recommend for Skill playthroughs is bolting to the DLC as soon as possible, ignore all the enemies and get the Beasthunter Saif, then go back to the main game. Even though it scales E in Strength/D in Skill/D in Arcane, its attacks have a lot of mobility to them. It feels like a more fun Saw Cleaver/Spear really, although it doesn't get the serrated damage bonus.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK after sleeping on it (and also retreating to the upper level where I stopped getting stuck on level geometry) Gascoigne was suddenly simple to defeat again.

Also I am trying to use the Kirkhammer transformed more and am starting to see the appeal

Remember that KH 2Hand has an extra 'gently caress off' swing that will ragdoll many enemies, it can be done immediately after a fully charged R2 hit.

And, and and!!! KH 2Hand also has a damage "Block" move that is unique to KH and LHB.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 16, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hit them. Grind their meat. Kill. Kill.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Hit them. Grind their meat. Kill. Kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOb8AkPV9og

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is there any way to get automated notifications for when new DLC appears for a game?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I never finished Bloodborne the first time around, so I started over yesterday and got to the Forgotten Wood by the evening.

Anyways this just came in the mail and felt appropriate, I guess the souls gods are trying to tell me something (probably that I am bad at video games).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

o lol idk why I thought it was last year

I liked enemy unknown a lot but the time limit stuff put me off. also I kinda forgot about it what with the split launch between pc and console (and pc seemed buggy at launch so I didn't even consider it)

It’s really worth trying to get over the time limit thing. It has a specific purpose in the game, which is to make you play aggressively and have to make difficult choices. It’s a decently generous time limit but still puts pressure on things like using both a soldier’s actions to get them in position so they can secure the objective, instead of just overwatch creeping til everything is dead.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sheep posted:

I never finished Bloodborne the first time around, so I started over yesterday and got to the Forgotten Wood by the evening.

Anyways this just came in the mail and felt appropriate, I guess the souls gods are trying to tell me something (probably that I am bad at video games).

:hfive:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It even tells you what your most watched Playstation Vue channel is. In my case it was ABC 7 because I DVR Jeopardy lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How did you earn no trophies prior to entering the nightmare?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

How did you earn no trophies prior to entering the nightmare?

I'm pretty sure that's just whatever system Sony is using to generate these not being very smart

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

It’s from the year in review, I think it means their first trophy of 2017, not their first ever Bloodborne trophy.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm slightly ashamed of myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How are you getting these stats?