Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Use fabric softener.

No, the other way around. Don't use fabric softener and your clothes will last longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Yeah, I tried using fabric softener just to see what it actually did and it basically dissolved all of the seams. Entire sleeves just falling off shirts as I lifted them out.

I hate the way it makes clothes feel anyway, it's like they're coated in an invisible layer of grease.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Yeah, I tried using fabric softener just to see what it actually did and it basically dissolved all of the seams. Entire sleeves just falling off shirts as I lifted them out.

I hate the way it makes clothes feel anyway, it's like they're coated in an invisible layer of grease.

You're not supposed to use it in place of water.
E: though that would be a lifehack! way of reducing your water bill

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The grease helps the fibres slide around without being damaged.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It also makes your towels less absorbent, due to the way the material fills in the gaps in the fibers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wash my towels separately anyway because they produce a lot of lint, they dry slowly, and sometimes I bleach them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Lifehack: wear nothing but white clothes, then you can bleach everything. Walla, no stains!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sir may I ask if you are "child free"?

E: cause that's a hell of a hack, just sayin

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I use fabric softener for things that I deem can use it since the water is a bit harsh here, but not stuff like jeans or towels or whatever that most definitely wouldn't benefit :shrug: Also I don't own a dryer and literally don't know anyone who does, and almost all my clothes seem to have the "do not tumble dry" icon on the washing instructions anyway. I just use a drying rack since I live in an apartment.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Samizdata posted:

I don't know if it was Goodwill, per se, but charitable organizations (and most people are pretty familiar with Goodwill stores), as the whole point of the clothing exercise (according to him) was that laundering clothing is economically and ecologically inefficient, and it was a better route all around to keep ordering new clothes. Speaking of which, I need to piss him off tonight and do a load of clothes...

Sorry but I can't shake this. Do you have a link? Because this seems like either the retardest thing I ever heard, or there's some amazing hacking going on in there that I gotta get in on

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Karate Bastard posted:

Sorry but I can't shake this. Do you have a link? Because this seems like either the retardest thing I ever heard, or there's some amazing hacking going on in there that I gotta get in on

http://www.startupdaily.net/2014/10/soylent-founder-preserves-water-urinating-sink-defacating/

It goes into the greatest hits, there was a gbs thread on it a few years back

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks! That Nomex jumpsuit looks exactly as pretty as I imagined. But it doesn't say anything about how it gets clean without water, or about buying new ones as you spunk them up. I'm gonna just assume he just sorta shrugged the gunk off violently at regular intervals, like a animal.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Karate Bastard posted:

Thanks! That Nomex jumpsuit looks exactly as pretty as I imagined. But it doesn't say anything about how it gets clean without water, or about buying new ones as you spunk them up. I'm gonna just assume he just sorta shrugged the gunk off violently at regular intervals, like a animal.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/op-ed-how-i-gave-up-alternating-current/

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

ALF HAS NOTHING

I bought a copy of Alf at a trophy and engraving store that also randomly sold outdated software. Played it on a Tandy 1000 with a monochrome monitor. I remember there was a bug where if you got a game over and tried to continue on a level past level 1, the map would display the level 1 map, but everything would be actually laid out as though it were level whatever. So if you didn't remember exactly how a level was laid out, you'd just keep bumping into invisible walls until you figured out which way to go.

Also, gently caress Willie. I'd rather get caught by the dogcatcher than Willie, because at least the dogcatcher didn't take away all your items :mad:

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Platystemon posted:

That's nonsense.

Sir Lemming posted:

Lifehack: wear nothing but white clothes, then you can bleach everything. Walla, no stains!

Bleach is another thing that shortens the lifetime of your clothes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Karate Bastard posted:

The laundry thing is here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/op-ed-how-i-gave-up-alternating-current/

quote:

I enjoy doing laundry about as much as doing dishes. I get my clothing custom made in China for prices you would not believe and have new ones regularly shipped to me. Shipping is a problem. I wish container ships had nuclear engines but it’s still much more efficient and convenient than retail. Thanks to synthetic fabrics it takes less water to make my clothes than it would to wash them, and I donate my used garments.

It bothers me immensely that all clothing is hand made. Automation is woefully absent from the textile industry, but I don’t think it always will be. For now a few new t shirts and jeans per month is not very offensive. I certainly buy less clothing overall than a typical consumer. Synthetic fabrics are easy to recycle and I believe will soon be made with biofuels. Still, this area needs some work.

Not sure how he thinks "a few new t shirts and jeans per month" is less than a typical consumer. His parents must have been real clothes horses. Was his dad buying new three piece suits every week? :iiam:

quote:

First, I never cook. I am all for self-reliance but repeating the same labor over and over for the sake of existence is the realm of robots. I utilize soylent only at home and go out to eat when craving company or flavor. This eliminates a panoply of expensive tools and rotting ingredients I would need to spend an unconscionable amount of time sourcing, preparing, and cleaning. It also gives me an incentive to explore the city’s fine restaurants and ask friends out to eat. In fact, I find soylent has made me more social when it comes to food. I can spend the money I saved from groceries and take out to buy a friend lunch or dinner. When soylent 2.0 reached private beta, I was thrilled to learn that thanks to aseptic processing the product does not require refrigeration, and will still keep its nutrition for at least a year. It tastes better cold but I think it’s fine warm. Getting rid of my fridge was one of the greatest days of my life. Nevermore will I listen to that drat compressor moan.

I have not set foot in a grocery store in years. Nevermore will I bumble through endless confusing aisles like a pack-donkey searching for feed while the smell of rotting flesh fills my nostrils and fluorescent lights sear my eyeballs and sappy love songs torture my ears. Grocery shopping is a multisensory living nightmare. There are services that will make someone else do it for me but I cannot in good conscience force a fellow soul through this gauntlet.

:yeah:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

You do realize that washing everything after one use is just a modern thing? Underwear is underwear because you wash it regularly, the stuff you wear over them is originally meant to be washed only after it is soiled by accident or after heavy wear. The underwear like socks or undershirts and stuff were boiled to get rid of the parasites and usually people had only 1-2 sets of clothes, one set reserved for the official purposes.

The idea of "never wash jeans" is because you should only wash them if necessary and in the old times, everyone had horrible body odor or they were filthy rich. Today, over-washing stuff is still a problem, but unless you sweat like a pig, just hang-drying over-wear outside gets rid of most of the odors and retains the fabric.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The thing with Rhinehart is that it's all about his personal purity. He doesn't want to use gas or electric to drive, so he takes Uber. He doesn't want to wash his clothes, so he donates them to someone else who will wash them. He doesn't want to cook, so he goes to restaurants.

There is a potential argument to be made for economies of scale, that maybe restaurants for everyone would be less wasteful than people cooking alone or in small groups, but Rhinehart doesn't make them.

It was the same with his water-saving challenge. He took antibiotics so he wouldn't poo poo. That's not a viable water conservation strategy in any way, but he was focused on the cheevos not the larger problem.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Samizdata posted:

I don't know if it was Goodwill, per se, but charitable organizations (and most people are pretty familiar with Goodwill stores), as the whole point of the clothing exercise (according to him) was that laundering clothing is economically and ecologically inefficient, and it was a better route all around to keep ordering new clothes. Speaking of which, I need to piss him off tonight and do a load of clothes...

Fun fact: Goodwill is not a charitable organization. It is a for-profit company.
If you care about charity, give to pretty much anyone else.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Rysithusiku posted:

Fun fact: Goodwill is not a charitable organization. It is a for-profit company.

I know. As I said, I was going with something most people would know.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ah, it's slave labor! A good hack.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AlbieQuirky posted:

The thing with Rhinehart is that it's all about his personal purity. He doesn't want to use gas or electric to drive, so he takes Uber. He doesn't want to wash his clothes, so he donates them to someone else who will wash them. He doesn't want to cook, so he goes to restaurants.

There is a potential argument to be made for economies of scale, that maybe restaurants for everyone would be less wasteful than people cooking alone or in small groups, but Rhinehart doesn't make them.

It was the same with his water-saving challenge. He took antibiotics so he wouldn't poo poo. That's not a viable water conservation strategy in any way, but he was focused on the cheevos not the larger problem.

I think Rob Rhinehart is a sort of extreme example of "function above all else". Somehow suffering sensory overload just going grocery shopping and thinking that fresh food is constantly rotting probably indicates deeper mental problems than that, but he seems to advocate the most extreme levels of efficiency that he can accomplish without dying. In his dream world, eating real food is a luxury like alcohol or tobacco and everyone would just get their nutrition from bland nutrient shakes, and we'd all wear formless unisex Nomex jumpsuits.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rysithusiku posted:

Fun fact: That's completely wrong - its a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dienes posted:

Fun fact: That's completely wrong - its a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

Also, while it's business model is different than most nonprofits and while I'm sure there is rampant bullshit in some areas since it's decentralized, it helps a ton of people get into the workforce.

You could do a lot worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Goodwill pays disabled workers less than minimum wage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chitoryu12 posted:

Somehow suffering sensory overload just going grocery shopping and thinking that fresh food is constantly rotting probably indicates deeper mental problems than that
When he mentioned rotting food in the kitchen I assumed he must be one of those people who buy too much and then don't throw it out until well past time - I used to share a flat with a woman who liked the idea of eating fruit and so kept buying it but didn't actually eat any and would just leave it sitting in the kitchen till it turned to sludge - but if he thinks that supermarkets "smell of rotting flesh" then he's definitely got brain problems.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Rysithusiku posted:

Was about to post this. Goodwill makes lots of money off of your donations, and while it hires employees with disabilities, it uses a law (Special Wage Certificate Program) from 1938 that allows them to pay them less than minimum wage. They give the disabled worker a "productivity test" and decide what they are worth, I've read that some are paid as low at $0.22/hr, although that was in 2011 so I don't know what the current numbers are like.

"Goodwill" is just a catchy name

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Rob Rhinehart is a sort of extreme example of "function above all else". Somehow suffering sensory overload just going grocery shopping and thinking that fresh food is constantly rotting probably indicates deeper mental problems than that, but he seems to advocate the most extreme levels of efficiency that he can accomplish without dying. In his dream world, eating real food is a luxury like alcohol or tobacco and everyone would just get their nutrition from bland nutrient shakes, and we'd all wear formless unisex Nomex jumpsuits.

$10 says he has a severe, untreated mental illness

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

Goodwill pays disabled workers less than minimum wage.

I mean shouldn't they? if you're not doing the work of a full person you shouldn't get the full pay.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

oh no

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Turtlicious posted:

I mean shouldn't they? if you're not doing the work of a full person you shouldn't get the full pay.

I like you a lot, you're generally a good-natured poster who makes funny posts and we are brothers in turtle avatars. However, I hope this post is merely a misguided ironic joke. Employment is employment, and one should not earn lesser wages because one is a "lesser" person.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Turtlicious posted:

I don’t know how a person could be so mentally deficient that it takes them thirty‐three days to do a day’s work, but not mentally deficient enough that it’s unethical to work them like that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was an ironic poo poo post, and completely uncalled for my b.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Turtlicious posted:

It was an ironic poo poo post, and completely uncalled for my b.

I'm docking your pay for that

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
This Reinhart guy pisses me off so much reading about him ruined my on-the-clock poo poo, which I didn't think was possible.

Shiting on company time: the best life hack.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Target Practice posted:

Shiting on company time: the best life hack.

Most days I'd agree with you, but today I'm feeling pretty partial to "working in the public sector in a state where the mere suggestion of freezing rain causes everything to shut down"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Winter Stormer posted:

Most days I'd agree with you, but today I'm feeling pretty partial to "working in the public sector in a state where the mere suggestion of freezing rain causes everything to shut down"

Well, you would be, with that username.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

IYKK posted:

Bleach is another thing that shortens the lifetime of your clothes.

Everything shortens the lifespan of everything. Life hack: Embrace death, our one true master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Buy new clothes.