Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

colas posted:

I love my Levi's but the zippers always fall down just a little bit and it's annoying (I own two identical pairs). Who makes jeans with zippers that lock up tight and stay put?

Sounds like someone needs to check out the lifehack thread.

(there is a lifehack that you can attach a rubber band or string loop to the zipper and put it around the button before buttoning the pants to hold it up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

colas posted:

I love my Levi's but the zippers always fall down just a little bit and it's annoying (I own two identical pairs). Who makes jeans with zippers that lock up tight and stay put?

Just get button flys

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Phthisis posted:

Sounds like someone needs to check out the lifehack thread.

(there is a lifehack that you can attach a rubber band or string loop to the zipper and put it around the button before buttoning the pants to hold it up)

It's a keychain split ring through the hole in the zipper tab looped over the button. Never tried it, but it looks like it could work.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Can someone suggest to me some sleeping headphones? My wife’s snoring is pretty intense and I’m apparently a very light sleeper. I’ve had those foam ear plugs in and I can still hear the snoring. A white noise machine wouldn’t work well as I’m fairly confident she’ll be able to drown it out. I want it to be wireless too. I’ve seen some on Amazon, but I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions before I blindly make a purchase.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

obi_ant posted:

Can someone suggest to me some sleeping headphones? My wife’s snoring is pretty intense and I’m apparently a very light sleeper. I’ve had those foam ear plugs in and I can still hear the snoring. A white noise machine wouldn’t work well as I’m fairly confident she’ll be able to drown it out. I want it to be wireless too. I’ve seen some on Amazon, but I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions before I blindly make a purchase.

Anker brand, whichever model appeals to you.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

obi_ant posted:

Custom fitted ear plugs.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Hearo earplugs were my go-to when I slept next to an ex that had immense snoring issues. The purple ones are the ones I settled on, they worked great. Make sure you look up the right way to use them if you haven't been taught how to properly use earplugs, you don't just try to push them in

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

obi_ant posted:

A white noise machine wouldn’t work well as I’m fairly confident she’ll be able to drown it out.

In my experience combining earplugs with white noise can drown out all but the worst snoring. You might also look into something that can generate other types of random noise, like pink or brown which have lower frequencies that can better drown out snoring. There are smartphone apps that can do all three.

If you haven't tried it already get your wife a wedge pillow, it can help keep the airway open. My wife used to snore very heavily and getting her a wedge pillow made a world of difference - it didn't stop it completely, but reduced frequency and volume of her snoring to the point where I can manage it with just foam earplugs.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Hearo earplugs were my go-to when I slept next to an ex that had immense snoring issues. The purple ones are the ones I settled on, they worked great. Make sure you look up the right way to use them if you haven't been taught how to properly use earplugs, you don't just try to push them in

Picked some up! Thanks.

Geoj posted:

If you haven't tried it already get your wife a wedge pillow, it can help keep the airway open. My wife used to snore very heavily and getting her a wedge pillow made a world of difference - it didn't stop it completely, but reduced frequency and volume of her snoring to the point where I can manage it with just foam earplugs.

I've never looked at a wedge pillow. Does your wife complain about back pain from using it? My wife has to do yoga all the time to help her with it. We have a "soft" bed, and I don't know if using those together would contribute to her back pain.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can get a Liberator wedge, with the bonus of making oral sex better

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sleep study in case of apnea. Other stuff already suggested if/when apnea is ruled out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can get a Liberator wedge, with the bonus of making oral sex better

I really want one of their sex couches. They look so comfy for everything you could throw at it sexual or not.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone recommend a decent fitness tracker with built-in GPS tracking? Besides calorie count and stuff, I'd love to get a good gps trace for my hikes and backpacking trips for when I get home, so I plot out a map for the next trip. I'd love something that can automatically track different types of activity too, like cycling vs walking.

I recently lost my fitbit blaze (which I never really cared for in the first place), and my Samsung Gear Fit 2 bricked itself on an update, and my all-time favorite fitness tracker, the Basis Peak, was recalled by Intel awhile back, so I'm currently shopping around for something better. I figure in 2018 there should finally be some decent wearables out now.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

obi_ant posted:

I've never looked at a wedge pillow. Does your wife complain about back pain from using it? My wife has to do yoga all the time to help her with it. We have a "soft" bed, and I don't know if using those together would contribute to her back pain.

No back pain, but then again she's never really had back issues.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend a general-purpose (waterproof preferred) flexible inspection camera?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I need a pair of powered bookshelf speakers under $150. They're for a small living room.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I also need speaker(s).

Looking for 1 or 2 speakers to put in my garage. Needs Bluetooth (ability to pair with 2 phones), wired power, ideally for $50 or less but if I need to spend more I can.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-speaker/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a UE Mini Boom I got on amazon refurbished for like 40 bucks that is awesome and loud. I listen to it while I shower and cook and I only have to charge it once a month or so.

Yes I shower every day, I’m taking this joke from you before you can use it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Speaking of speakers, I won an Apple Watch at a company thing last night and decided it would be perfect for when I run, but I don’t have wireless headphones. I’m nervous spending 160 dollars on something like AirPods. Anything good and cheap(er) so I don’t cry if I lose one?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ended up getting a VAVA Voom 20 ordered from Amazon. I'll try to remember to post my thoughts when it arrives.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

Speaking of speakers, I won an Apple Watch at a company thing last night and decided it would be perfect for when I run, but I don’t have wireless headphones. I’m nervous spending 160 dollars on something like AirPods. Anything good and cheap(er) so I don’t cry if I lose one?

Last year I got some generic 20$ Bluetooth earbud headphones on Amazon for cycling, and they work just fine. Airpods are just way too ridiculously expensive for what they are--there's nothing special about Bluetooth headphones.

E: that being said, I did just get the new generation of the Sony MDR-1000x over the ear/noise cancelling headphones over the holidays, and they're pretty freaking amazing, but obviously not for running.

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Jan 21, 2018

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Rolo posted:

Buy the Anker brand earbuds with the battery life you want (the longer, the more expensive). I personally really like the Anker sound bud tags, but they only last about 7 hrs before recharge (which only takes ~30 min)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

1redflag posted:

Buy the Anker brand earbuds with the battery life you want (the longer, the more expensive). I personally really like the Anker sound bud tags, but they only last about 7 hrs before recharge (which only takes ~30 min)

Seven hours is plenty, I’ll check them out!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolo posted:

AirPods are so so so worth the price, honestly. They’re my favorite piece of technology in a very long time. I can’t imagine not having them at this point.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

E: that being said, I did just get the new generation of the Sony MDR-1000x over the ear/noise cancelling headphones over the holidays, and they're pretty freaking amazing, but obviously not for running.

Yeah those with Oreo's native LDAC support is just :discourse:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

AirPods are so so so worth the price, honestly. They’re my favorite piece of technology in a very long time. I can’t imagine not having them at this point.

What makes them stand out from any other bluetooth headphones?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

tangy yet delightful posted:

Ended up getting a VAVA Voom 20 ordered from Amazon. I'll try to remember to post my thoughts when it arrives.

I have this for my bathroom.

The quality is fine for the shower or a little party but the real draw is that the battery lasts forever.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

the black husserl posted:

What makes them stand out from any other bluetooth headphones?

They are tiny, light, integrate well with all the Apple stuff (AppleTV in bed lol), have great battery life, have the same charging connector as my phone, idk.

I’m sure there are other good ones but they all sort of fall flat in one way or another, the AirPods are just an all-around great product, especially for the money.

I take teleconference calls on them all the time as well, not a differentiator but for something I thought I’d rarely use they are like indispensable now.

Oh they are also so small they fit under ear protection for yardwork etc.

I have whatever ear shape they fall out of but got some foam donut EarPod covers off amazon, change them when they get gross, they still fit in the case and are rock solid in my ears.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

uwaeve posted:

They are tiny, light, integrate well with all the Apple stuff (AppleTV in bed lol), have great battery life, have the same charging connector as my phone, idk.

I’m sure there are other good ones but they all sort of fall flat in one way or another, the AirPods are just an all-around great product, especially for the money.

I take teleconference calls on them all the time as well, not a differentiator but for something I thought I’d rarely use they are like indispensable now.

Oh they are also so small they fit under ear protection for yardwork etc.

I have whatever ear shape they fall out of but got some foam donut EarPod covers off amazon, change them when they get gross, they still fit in the case and are rock solid in my ears.

Beat me to it. If you use Apple products it’s a no brainer.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Dang, I also thought they were just Bluetooth headphones with the Apple logo on the side. Is there any way to try them? I imagine they don't have everyone who walks into the Apple store sharing things that were jammed in other people's ear canals. I already have p good headphones but if they really that great I might have to do it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

life is a joke posted:

Dang, I also thought they were just Bluetooth headphones with the Apple logo on the side. Is there any way to try them? I imagine they don't have everyone who walks into the Apple store sharing things that were jammed in other people's ear canals. I already have p good headphones but if they really that great I might have to do it.

I have no idea where I read this but I think you can try them at Apple stores. Sounds weird but it might be worth calling one up to check.

Also for what it’s worth I have really good Denons and still use my AirPods 99% of the time. The sound quality obviously isn’t as good but the lightweight no cable IM IN THE FUTURE aspect wins out.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I think there’s a 14 day return policy at Apple stores. Kind of gross to take back ear canal stuff but it’s one of those things you have to try to see if it fits.

These are the donuts I use, little bit of a pain to get them on but they stick great in my ears. Others have stippled them with some sugu poo poo, or taken sandpaper to them to roughen them up so they’re not as slippery. I recommend the foam things especially if you’re just giving em a try.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

The fact that I can take out my airpods and have it auto pause whatever is playing and autoplay when I put them back in has made work and general life easier and less stressful. The super fast charge time basically negates any concerns I had about going all day with them. I literally carry a little thing of headphones around with me all the time now. It's my favorite piece of technology in a long time, the first one to give me that "apple magic" feeling in forever.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent fitness tracker with built-in GPS tracking? Besides calorie count and stuff, I'd love to get a good gps trace for my hikes and backpacking trips for when I get home, so I plot out a map for the next trip. I'd love something that can automatically track different types of activity too, like cycling vs walking.

I recently lost my fitbit blaze (which I never really cared for in the first place), and my Samsung Gear Fit 2 bricked itself on an update, and my all-time favorite fitness tracker, the Basis Peak, was recalled by Intel awhile back, so I'm currently shopping around for something better. I figure in 2018 there should finally be some decent wearables out now.

I'm very happy with my Tomtom runner, I only have experience with a fitbit charge to compare it against but it far outpaces that in every way.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

life is a joke posted:

You can try them in Apple stores. They just wipe the demo units down with an antiseptic wipe. Airpods shape makes it easy for them to clean.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tea Bone posted:

I'm very happy with my Tomtom runner, I only have experience with a fitbit charge to compare it against but it far outpaces that in every way.

I didn't even know TomTom had devices... I actually wound up getting a Garmin Fenix 3 HR Sapphire, since it was relatively pretty cheap on eBay and basically the same as the Fenix 5. I'm hoping it'll allow me to track GPS and stuff, and make marks for interesting stuff on the trail so I can build maps when I get home

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

I didn't even know TomTom had devices... I actually wound up getting a Garmin Fenix 3 HR Sapphire, since it was relatively pretty cheap on eBay and basically the same as the Fenix 5. I'm hoping it'll allow me to track GPS and stuff, and make marks for interesting stuff on the trail so I can build maps when I get home

I'm still waiting for an affordable GPS tracker device that doubles as a Bluetooth mp3 player. I hate running with my phone.

Anything like that exist yet?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m starting to think that I’m just going to get some AirPods if they’re really worth the steep entrance fee. The quality of stock Apple wired buds is good enough for me and if you guys really do vouch for them not being an overpriced fashion item I’m sold. Side note: I got my watch today and I’m surprised how much I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolo posted:

I’m starting to think that I’m just going to get some AirPods if they’re really worth the steep entrance fee. The quality of stock Apple wired buds is good enough for me and if you guys really do vouch for them not being an overpriced fashion item I’m sold. Side note: I got my watch today and I’m surprised how much I like it.

If you like the standard Apple buds then AirPods are that but better sound quality wise. The bass has more depth and they have more clarity all around. They’re great earbuds, really!