Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Can't tell if Custodes are going to be fun but crap or game-breaking. All depends on those point costs.

I really must get around to actually scrubbing off my old autocannon predator, two of those would rather mute any 3w army's threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

I really must get around to actually scrubbing off my old autocannon predator, two of those would rather mute any 3w army's threat.

Yeah a couple of appropriately supported AC/LC Preds can take off two squads a turn fairly reliably, which is going to be a lot when you only have four to start with.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In the past I would shrug and say it's almost certainly game-breaking, but who knows with this new GW. Ideally you have people complaining on both sides, which means it's balanced.

The issue I foresee is that elite armies kind of suck in this edition anyway, and Custodes have even fewer and even more expensive models than others. The fewer models you have on the board, the smaller the margin for error is in getting them balanced correctly.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Argument today in the Tyranids FB group over whether Onslaught allows units with heavy weapons to advance and shoot without penalty.

"Onslaught has a warp charge value of 6. If manifested,
select a friendly TYRANIDS unit within 18" of the psyker.
That unit can shoot this turn (even if it Advanced) without
suffering any penalties to its hit rolls for moving and
shooting Heavy weapons, or Advancing and shooting
Assault weapons."

My read is obviously yes, a few people seem determined to be confused by the wording.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

PierreTheMime posted:

Unironically I think bone-white with some type of silver trim (or just all bone though that might be bland) would be cool. Go for the "skulls" angle, instead of the "blood." It would be super fast/easy to paint too and with a wash and some mild highlights would look nice. If you want to fully nerd it up you could go with Skullman colors. Call them the Skull-Lords or something silly and 40kish.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deified Data posted:

Argument today in the Tyranids FB group over whether Onslaught allows units with heavy weapons to advance and shoot without penalty.

"Onslaught has a warp charge value of 6. If manifested,
select a friendly TYRANIDS unit within 18" of the psyker.
That unit can shoot this turn (even if it Advanced) without
suffering any penalties to its hit rolls for moving and
shooting Heavy weapons, or Advancing and shooting
Assault weapons."

My read is obviously yes, a few people seem determined to be confused by the wording.

It's not ideally written but your interpretation is correct. Ask them what the penalty for Advancing and shooting a Heavy weapon is (there isn't one).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Make an allied detachment of Thousand Sons painted like Pharaoh Man while you're at it.

NES Megaman games :allears:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

It's not ideally written but your interpretation is correct. Ask them what the penalty for Advancing and shooting a Heavy weapon is (there isn't one).

Yuup. I wrote an alternative wording. Hire me GW

"Select a Tyranids <HIVE FLEET> unit. That unit can now shoot, even if it advanced, and suffers no penalties for having moved or advanced for the purposes of shooting"

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Deified Data posted:

"Select a Tyranids <HIVE FLEET> unit. That unit can now shoot, even if it advanced, and suffers no penalties for having moved or advanced for the purposes of shooting"

I'd argue yours benefits Exocrines while the official one does not.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, if I decide to play in any tournaments with my AdMech, i'm probably going to throw in some Custodes, since they now have defense against smite. But yeah, nthing the depending on point costs.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deified Data posted:

"Select a Tyranids <HIVE FLEET> unit. In its next Shooting phase that unit may shoot, even if it Advanced this turn. It suffers no penalties for having moved or Advanced for the purposes of shooting Heavy and Assault weapons respectively"

That would be bulletproof.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
At the moment it feels to me like Custodes may be in a similar position to a Knight army in 7th edition, where there's this binary where your opponent either has the tools to deal with you in their list and they likely win or they don't and they lose.

I can already think of some solid tools for dealing with them in my own codex - heavy bolters, assault cannons, grav cannons, and Predator ACs all seem like really efficient choices depending on target. Battle Cannons in the Guard codex could be pretty nasty as well. Basically anything with s5+, a decent rate of fire and ap-1 or ap-2 will be the most efficient option for a lot of armies and that heavy bolter profile shows up a lot lately with the Primaris releases. Things like lascannons, las guns or bolters look like comparatively poor choices given either low ROF or difficultly getting wounds through.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 16, 2018

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The reason I brought up the website is exactly what people were saying: I asked to be emailed when Hive Guard were back in stock and the email link I clicked on sent me to the Dutch site :downs:

Have a friend who’s super pskyed about the custodes announcement and is putting his IG army on hold for the time being. They do look like great fun.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

At the moment it feels to me like Custodes may be in a similar position to a Knight army in 7th edition, where there's this binary where your opponent either has the tools to deal with you in their list and they likely win or they don't and they lose.

I can already think of some solid tools for dealing with them in my own codex - heavy bolters, assault cannons, grav cannons, and Predator ACs all seem like really efficient choices depending on target. Battle Cannons in the Guard codex could be pretty nasty as well. Basically anything with s5+, a decent rate of fire and ap-1 or ap-2 will be the most efficient option for a lot of armies and that heavy bolter profile shows up a lot lately with the Primaris releases. Things like lascannons, las guns or bolters look like comparatively poor choices given either low ROF or difficultly getting wounds through.

I wonder how they’ll stack up against Kataphron Destroyers with Heavy Grav Cannons & shooty Kastelans.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever used Tabletop Simulator? I just heard about it from a friend and there's a lot of Steam Workshop stuff with armies and such. Curious if that's a thing in the 40k community

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

I wonder how they’ll stack up against Kataphron Destroyers with Heavy Grav Cannons & shooty Kastelans.

Assuming they don't get tied up by jetbikes I expect they'll be on of the best ways at murdering basically anything in the Custodes codex, up to and including Land Raiders.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Crossposting from the progress thread because this model is 40k as heck:

:trumppop: Smash some heretics good.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Uroboros posted:

So, basically finished my baseline display. Thoughts?

Should I glue the entire thing to a base board or keep it modular?

Looking good. My only citicism is that the road looks too new. A bit of blue-grey drybrushing would probably weather it up a bit.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

jadebullet posted:

Looking good. My only citicism is that the road looks too new. A bit of blue-grey drybrushing would probably weather it up a bit.

I did, just hard to see that far off.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

Crossposting from the progress thread because this model is 40k as heck:

Mathhammer is a sickness, and this should be the cure.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I wrote up a thing to play World of Tanks on the table using 40k stuff - any goons wanna read it and let me know what you think? I hope this link works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2h1xb68ige55oan/Welcome%20to%20the%20world%20of%2040k%20tanks.pdf?dl=0

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uroboros posted:

I did, just hard to see that far off.

It fits your army so well - it reminds me of a parade ground that you see Ultramarines formed up in, in the artwork. Will you display them in a parade formation?

A colonnade of marble or bronze statues with a central dais for your command elements might be a nice touch :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

The issue I foresee is that elite armies kind of suck in this edition anyway, and Custodes have even fewer and even more expensive models than others. The fewer models you have on the board, the smaller the margin for error is in getting them balanced correctly.

So I mathhammered out some things, and assault plasma incinerators with the dark angels +1 damage stratagem are pretty sick.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:(

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Boon posted:

It fits your army so well - it reminds me of a parade ground that you see Ultramarines formed up in, in the artwork. Will you display them in a parade formation?

A colonnade of marble or bronze statues with a central dais for your command elements might be a nice touch :)

Thanks!

I am a little burnt out on painting marble at the moment, but one of my teammates is going to be buying and sending me a couple of Shrines of the Aquila to place on it for Adepticon.

I'm really unsure what is the next step I should take. I could get my hands on some Roman columns, and place them along the roundways, and attempt to make some arches over it. Along with some sort of colonnade/viewing area setup in the center tile. Any suggestions on places to find suitable additions to it would be greatly appreciated.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Thanks!

I am a little burnt out on painting marble at the moment, but one of my teammates is going to be buying and sending me a couple of Shrines of the Aquila to place on it for Adepticon.

I'm really unsure what is the next step I should take. I could get my hands on some Roman columns, and place them along the roundways, and attempt to make some arches over it. Along with some sort of colonnade/viewing area setup in the center tile. Any suggestions on places to find suitable additions to it would be greatly appreciated.

The problem with arches like that is they'd get in the way of actual models on the board. I think a wall of some sort at the back of the board would do well. Plenty of GW photography uses walls made of either the Shrine of the Aquila or the Bastion kit, that'd be a good place to start. Your board looks fully sick as is tho.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

The problem with arches like that is they'd get in the way of actual models on the board. I think a wall of some sort at the back of the board would do well. Plenty of GW photography uses walls made of either the Shrine of the Aquila or the Bastion kit, that'd be a good place to start. Your board looks fully sick as is tho.

I think I get what you mean. A single line of building faces along the back edge to create the illusion of a continuing cityscape?

Perhaps not a series of archways along the entire road, but perhaps shorter columns with perhaps a set of taller ones on each tile that is arched. Unfortunately, any sort of additional decoration hurts the mobility. At the moment any added decoration will merely be rested on the display simply to give it more flare for scoring.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think of something like this where there is a central 'plaza' where the command element is displayed with a line of statues on either side. However, a backdrop of the cathedral pieces with statues lining the front (5-10) would also look pretty sweet.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As someone who’s new to this hobby, I’m finding it quite difficult to buy suboptimal stuff after reading so much math hammer poo poo online. I don’t even get that much of a kick out of winning, it’s just a mindset I have to get out of.

Now that I’ve got a solid base for my army, I think I’m going to rotate between buying two weaker units for every good unit I get so I’m not just following whatever the meta is.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Boon posted:

I think of something like this where there is a central 'plaza' where the command element is displayed with a line of statues on either side. However, a backdrop of the cathedral pieces with statues lining the front (5-10) would also look pretty sweet.

I'd probably print off a cityscape background and mount it to some foamboard, and attach it to the back of your display board.

How do you plan on traveling with a 3'x2' board? I've got a tablescapes board I'm not doing anything with but I have no idea how I'd be able to turn it into a display board and keep it sturdy.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Tau Broadsides are garbage. So, therefore you should buy them? This doesnt make any sense.

I don't believe you should buy 8 fusion Commanders because they are currently too good, because with the stroke of a pen they can change that.

In general, don't buy into spam lists, but use your hobby dollars to buy stuff that is worth fielding (or worth painting if that is more your thing.)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd probably print off a cityscape background and mount it to some foamboard, and attach it to the back of your display board.

How do you plan on traveling with a 3'x2' board? I've got a tablescapes board I'm not doing anything with but I have no idea how I'd be able to turn it into a display board and keep it sturdy.

A smart goon actually suggested I get a 3x2 wooden board, and drill magnets into it, and glue corresponding metal pieces on the underside of the tiles.

With my old display board I simply just carried it around. What I might do in this case is a couple things:

First I'll get my mits on a 2x2 and 3x2 boards (with perhaps a little extra on the edges, because I have a boarder for this thing that holds it together).

I will then transport the board and tiles separately and basically construct my display at whichever event Im attending while using the support board underneath to carry it from table to table. In this case a 2x2 should be more than enough, while the 3x2 would only be needed for larger events like the Adepticon Team Tournament.

I might even get something like a 2x1 so that I can use 2 tiles for things like Zone Mortalis.

Boon posted:

This combined with what MasterSlowPoke mentioned has the potential to be pretty cool. Thanks for the ideas.

Note: Holy poo poo the primarchs are huge compared to the humans around them...

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 16, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Entropy238 posted:

As someone who’s new to this hobby, I’m finding it quite difficult to buy suboptimal stuff after reading so much math hammer poo poo online. I don’t even get that much of a kick out of winning, it’s just a mindset I have to get out of.

Now that I’ve got a solid base for my army, I think I’m going to rotate between buying two weaker units for every good unit I get so I’m not just following whatever the meta is.

I absolutely think Mathhammer has its place, but that place is just totally alien to how I approach the hobby. In terms of a tournament bringing the hottest poo poo you can to pulverize your opponents to grab that podium makes some sense, but I can't handle people who can't switch it off. There are a group of guys locally who always bring the most broken net list they can, and it is easier to just go home and paint than play a multi hour game designed to make me have the worst experience possible.

Starting with a mechanically solid army isn't a bad idea. It keeps you from getting discouraged from a string of crushing losses, and once you get a handle on things just buy one of every unit and try and have them all see the table every once in a while.

Just smash some cool men into your opponents cool men, think about naming your independent characters, and just take it easy.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

You also could try the age-old tactic of buying stuff you can see yourself actually building and painting and are excited about.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dexefiend posted:

Tau Broadsides are garbage. So, therefore you should buy them? This doesnt make any sense.

I don't believe you should buy 8 fusion Commanders because they are currently too good, because with the stroke of a pen they can change that.

In general, don't buy into spam lists, but use your hobby dollars to buy stuff that is worth fielding (or worth painting if that is more your thing.)

Broadsides are durable as poo poo and the gulf between them and being amazing is like 15 ppm or a +1 BS Support System for like 10 points.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Your should buy Broadsides because they're fukken sweet models.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

mango sentinel posted:

Your should buy Broadsides because they're fukken sweet models.

I have 6 of the 15+ year old ones, so I am kinda jealous of the new hot ones. I just can't justify the dollar cost right now. The missile ones look cool, but i don't like the weapon profile of the big missiles.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just smash some cool men into your opponents cool men, think about naming your independent characters, and just take it easy.

General Olloth posted:

You also could try the age-old tactic of buying stuff you can see yourself actually building and painting and are excited about.

I’m going to do my best. It’s difficult to suppress the urge to power game, so that’s why I’m going to set rules about what I do and don’t buy.

Definitely want to get my hands on a Dimaechaeron at some point. That thing is ducking sick looking.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

I think I get what you mean. A single line of building faces along the back edge to create the illusion of a continuing cityscape?

Yup! It also serves as a nice backdrop for everything without being physically intrusive.

This week on the :siren:40k Badcast:siren:, I fanboy about Stormtroopers for 83 minutes:
https://40kbadcast.com/2018/01/16/40k-badcast-24-our-first-coherent-episode/

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SRM posted:

This week on the :siren:40k Badcast:siren:, I fanboy about Stormtroopers for 83 minutes:

It’s like you know when I’m gonna be snowed in with a batch of painting that needs to be done...

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

I’m going to do my best. It’s difficult to suppress the urge to power game, so that’s why I’m going to set rules about what I do and don’t buy.

I can understand this. I mostly mitigate it by making theme armies with some sort of handicap. Build an all Terminator army that limits spamming the good stuff or play a suboptimal codex. That way your power gaming is offset.

I will also Nth just buying cool models and painting those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

SRM posted:

Yup! It also serves as a nice backdrop for everything without being physically intrusive.

So psyched and loved hearing last time that you almost love making it as much as I do listening to it.