Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Toplowtech posted:

I kinda want a D&d where you must choose the part of your class with the Combat part of your character, the Support part and the social part of your character.

Classic archetypal classes could be on the Combat/Support/Social:
Fighter: War&Combat/Leading Men/Vassility
Mage: War Wizardry/Support Spells/Academic Reseach
Thief: Duelist or Ranged/Thievery Method/Guild managment
Cleric: Wrath of god/Divine Support/Church Management

And you could mix that poo poo as your background/gm allow.

I like this; I've had ideas similar to this as well. It's kinda what they tried to do with the different archetype options of each class and character backgrounds, I'd just like to pick from any of the classes archetype options. Like, I want to have the rogue class features, but instead of the thief archetype I want the monks way of the shadows and I'll call myself a ninja. Or maybe I'm a cleric with way of the shadow options because of the type of god I worship and I call myself an inquisitor.

Yeah, it could all be house ruled and playtested with a group, it would just be nice if they had that sort of flexibility in the system though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its SotDL, but its also WHRP with its careers.
Alphadog seems to be aiming for a middlepoint between those two.

dnd really needs mechanics outside of skill rolls for social situations. In fact gently caress it, tear down the skill system and its weird momentary overlaps with everything else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In fact gently caress it, tear down the skill system and its weird momentary overlaps with everything else.

In a way, the lack of a skill system in old-school D&D helped insofar as it let you resolve non-combat situations however the hell you wanted

(which is probably what happens a lot of the time even today, except the skill system has to make you jump through a lot of hoops to justify it)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I made this a while ago when I was thinking about revamping the class system but before I'd heard of Shadow of the Demon Lord:

The idea was to have base classes until 4 or 5 then move on to prestige/expert classes. I was planning to allow multiclassing of base classes in order to take the hybrid prestige classes (e.g. you'd need at least one level of warrior and priest in order to prestige to paladin) but I know that complicates things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kaysette posted:

I made this a while ago when I was thinking about revamping the class system but before I'd heard of Shadow of the Demon Lord:

The idea was to have base classes until 4 or 5 then move on to prestige/expert classes. I was planning to allow multiclassing of base classes in order to take the hybrid prestige classes (e.g. you'd need at least one level of warrior and priest in order to prestige to paladin) but I know that complicates things.
This looks cool. I'd allow free movement into any adjacent, so mage or thief can go warlock, thief can go druid, rogue, or warlock etc. Gaining levels of Warlock also gives you the thief and mage abilities needed to make warlock work (so a thief would gain some mages class stuff because they already have all the basic thief stuff, vice versa for the mage). If you've some kind of out of class advancement, like feats or themes or what have you, you could let a Warrior go Warlock by trading in their non class advancement. This would also give you a baseline for determining the effectiveness of these advances (equivalent to one side of the single class bits handed out by a dual class)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 16, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AlphaDog posted:

I want a D&D where you start off by choosing Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, or Magic-User. Those go to 5th level or so, then everything else is a multiclass choice that you can pick at some point after 2nd level.

Echoing that's SotDL.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's hard to overstate the kind of "damage" that open multi-classing has done to design.

You can't put anything in the lower levels of a class because it's going to be dipped, so you instead put most of the goodies high up, but then most games don't get high up in level, so people feel like they do need to look for better options since the first few levels are so empty, and that leads to more dipping anyway into classes that can't have anything else cut from their repertoire.

And then going back to 3e, the relatively open nature of prestige classes meant that, in a problem similar to feats, the lack of strong gating and mutually-exclusive options meant that their power was necessarily diluted, and that's not including "gaming" the inconsistent entry requirements so that you could take a PrC so many levels earlier than might otherwise have been intended.

And you could almost, almost do a game with SOTDL-style progression: use the three base NPC classes of Warrior, Expert, and Adept, then branch out into base classes at level 3 to 5, then take Prestige classes at level 10.

But it would take so much work to fill out those first half-dozen levels with abilities that are interesting to play with that you might as well just go straight to playing SOTDL instead (or 4e, which got the prestige class evolution right, and got the multi-classing right).

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Toplowtech posted:

I kinda want a D&d where you must choose the part of your class with the Combat part of your character, the Support part and the social part of your character.

And this is sort of like Strike! (which is a goon-made RPG) actually. You have a combat class and a "kit" I think, which is non combat powers and perks. Haven't played it myself, but it looks pretty drat cool. Very flexible/reskinnable, but in the spirit of 4e it runs better with a map for combat at least.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's hard to overstate the kind of "damage" that open multi-classing has done to design.

You can't put anything in the lower levels of a class because it's going to be dipped, so you instead put most of the goodies high up, but then most games don't get high up in level, so people feel like they do need to look for better options since the first few levels are so empty, and that leads to more dipping anyway into classes that can't have anything else cut from their repertoire.
There is a solution to this. Have your first level have three or four levels of stuff in it. If you multiclass into it you get a levelsworth of stuff, and it takes three or four multiclass levels to get the full first level.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

The Gate posted:

And this is sort of like Strike! (which is a goon-made RPG) actually. You have a combat class and a "kit" I think, which is non combat powers and perks. Haven't played it myself, but it looks pretty drat cool. Very flexible/reskinnable, but in the spirit of 4e it runs better with a map for combat at least.

Strike is better than forgotten realms because it doesn't define everything in the setting. Discuss.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

re: Hexblade, the fix I've seen most people suggest is taking the Hex Warrior trait and just making it part of Pact of the Blade so the important stuff about being a bladelock can show up with any patron and we're not stuck with this garbage mess of serving a magic sword that you're not allowed to wield.

evenworse username posted:

I wrote a bunch of :words:. I don't know how useful it is, but I can clarify stuff if it helps.

I didn't get to look at this until now but this is great. Some of it's according to expectations and I've used a little bit of it in an urban campaign where the players were magically branded with a visible record of their debts. Well-to-do people had work for adventurers, but would usually contract it through their surrogates, like servants and private security.

My urban campaign was my first crack at long-term DMing and I wanna revisit the setting when I've learned a little more about doing it well and have more fully realized the setting. I think the trick is making D&D power progression not feel completely out of whack with the social and economic realities of the city, and I don't know if that can be done. By the time you're level 3, I have a hard time imagining a city where you're concerned that being rude to the wrong person might mean you don't have a roof over your head at night.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 16, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Leveling up and getting 3rd level spells on my Sorcerer. Haste is a must but I'm waffling between Fireball and Counterspell/Dispel for the other.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kaysette posted:

This is basically the system from the game series Wizardry.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
and also dragon's dogma

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

and also dragon's dogma

I never played Wizardry (i know...) but Dragon's Dogma was an influence. KotOR was what got me thinking of it in the first place.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

re: Hexblade, the fix I've seen most people suggest is taking the Hex Warrior trait and just making it part of Pact of the Blade so the important stuff about being a bladelock can show up with any patron and we're not stuck with this garbage mess of serving a magic sword that you're not allowed to wield.

This, however, doesn't address the fact Hexblade is the best patron at everything else as well.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

The Gate posted:

Strike's kits system ended up being kind of a mess, and are thankfully optional. It's a bunch of weird unbalanced stuff tacked onto a very freeform non-combat skill system that doesn't need to be there. Tricks, skills, gear and such cover the options pretty well for such a simple resolution system.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

This, however, doesn't address the fact Hexblade is the best patron at everything else as well.

You just use it to improve Blade Pact and jettison literally everything else because it's a big ugly pile.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

Tangentially related - I love the idea of mounted combat mattering, and that feat is cool and paladins can get cool mounts. But in 26 years of D&D, I have never once run into a scenario where mounted combat would be worth investing limited character resources in. You're always in a temple or dungeon or lost ruin and horses just don't work.
Be a halfling riding a wolf and you can mounted combat anywhere (unless there's a no pets sign).

Kaysette posted:

Don't multiclass. Just use the 4e style where you pick a base class at 1st, pick a prestige thing at Xth, and an epic thing at Yth, then add all the benefits of all of them together.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You just use it to improve Blade Pact and jettison literally everything else because it's a big ugly pile.

Hexblade's Curse? Armor of Hexes? The one that lets you move the Hexblade's Curse? Other than the random specter at Level 6 it all seems good.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Arthil posted:

Hexblade's Curse? Armor of Hexes? The one that lets you move the Hexblade's Curse? Other than the random specter at Level 6 it all seems good.

I agree. I’ve seen some really nice looking sorlock blaster builds that use divine soul and hexblade.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arthil posted:

Their extra spells, too: shield, wrathful smite, blur, blink, elemental weapon, banishing smite. Not all of them scale but they're excellent for their level and for dips.

Kaysette posted:

I agree. I’ve seen some really nice looking sorlock blaster builds that use divine soul and hexblade.

It's retarded but I love it

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 17, 2018

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've been considering running a 5E game, but as part of that considering I've also been reading a number of pages earlier in this thread that dissected the system's mediocre design and balance and now I am second-guessing myself.

And, yes, while "so run something else instead of 5E" is a valid response, the fact remains that 5E is wildly popular and much easier to find players for than any other system I'm familiar with. Perhaps I will just have to suck it up. v:shobon:v

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

MMAgCh posted:

I've been considering running a 5E game, but as part of that considering I've also been reading a number of pages earlier in this thread that dissected the system's mediocre design and balance and now I am second-guessing myself.

And, yes, while "so run something else instead of 5E" is a valid response, the fact remains that 5E is wildly popular and much easier to find players for than any other system I'm familiar with. Perhaps I will just have to suck it up. v:shobon:v

You can still have fun with 5e and being aware of its flaws will make it much easier to do so. Getting a decent group together and having fun with them is the main goal, so it does help to have the huge player base. I started playing a 5e game several years ago after moving to a new city and now we play other systems too.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Due to it's popularity 5e is good for finding games as a player, but if you're doing the DMing finding other people becomes much easier. Moreover you can do a 5e one-shot or short module to attract players then switch to a different system if you assembled a group you like.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

MMAgCh posted:

Who you running it for? If it's your friends they'll suck it up and play what you run. If it's strangers all you're doing is extending the wait time til you have a full table. How much of a hurry are you in?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mango sentinel posted:

Leveling up and getting 3rd level spells on my Sorcerer. Haste is a must but I'm waffling between Fireball and Counterspell/Dispel for the other.

Can anyone else in your party grab the one you dont pick?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

MMAgCh posted:

There are a few things you can do to help balance/math (Give Fighters More Stuff, tweak how so make saves work so everyone doesn't have a pile of lovely saves that get worse relative to the opposition as they level up).

Then there are some things you should do to make encounters more interesting, which is more time consuming. My two big ones:
-Rewrite all monster/enemy spellcaster abilities/spells (at the very least, maybe the PCs' too) to have scaling effects. That is, they have 2 or 3 DCs instead of one, a low and high or low/medium/high. The "low" DC is enough to avoid the worst effects of a spell/ability, e.g. if you make the Low DC for a Hold Person type ability you're Slowed or Restrained rather than paralyzed. The "high" DC is enough to avoid the standard effect of the spell/ability

-Change how Legendary Resistance works, and make more encounters have enemies that have Legendary Actions and Legendary Resistance. Specifically, instead of letting them make the first X saves they want to make, Legendary Resistance should let them make saves, suppress effects, etc.
You then price Legendary Resistance abilities in terms of number of legendary actions.

Basically, you give them badass, scary Legendary Actions, then make it so that if they're affected by a spell or effect, they can sacrifice X legendary actions to resist the effect that round. They'd make saves as normal.

So it would look something like this: Legendary Resistance (cost: 2 legendary actions) instead of Legendary Resistance (3/day).

Theoretically you could make separate Legendary Resistance abilities with separate costs against particular types of effects, e.g. Legendary Resistance (restrained or slowed, 1 action) and Legendary Resistance (mind-affecting, 3 actions) and Legendary Resistance (everything else, 2 actions). That way you can give legendary monsters strengths and weaknesses--e.g. it's harder for a big, strong brute like an ogre to fight off mind-affecting spells and really easy for him to fight off physically restraining spells, or easier for a caster type to suppress mind-affecting spells and harder to fight off physical entanglement.

That way affecting enemies with Legendary Resistance with spells is still worth doing, because it'll suppress their Legendary Actions, which is a pretty significant benefit. (And it'll mean that stacking effects works as intended--if he's affected by both Hideous Laughter and Suggestion, for example, he'll only be able to suppress one of them.)

For example, here's an encounter I worked up while my group was running 5e briefly:

-1x Leader: 140 HP (?), AC 15 (in armor), saves CON +6, DEX +4, WIS +4, STR +4, rest +2
Attacks: *Two* attacks at +8 with mace (1d8+4), or with thrown daggers (1d4+4), +1d6 sneak attack if an ally is also engaging that enemy or the enemy is restrained or similar
Legendary actions (2/round, every round, on any other person’s turn):
-Throw dagger (+7 to hit, 1d4+4, sneak attack 1d6 if it applies--OR deflect a projectile attack targeting him )
-Inspire (grant advantage to attacking ally, letting them get sneak attack)
-Rouse (uses both actions: remove a mental condition/spell effect from one ally)
Legendary resistance: If Leader fails a saving throw, he can choose to lose both of his legendary actions and act as if he succeeded on his save. If the spell is ongoing and Leader uses Legendary Resistance, he can continue to make saving throws if the spell allows for it. If Maarvey has already used legendary resistance this round, he can not use it again (e.g. if he is affected by Hold Person and then Suggestion, he could suppress the effects of Hold Person with legendary resistance, but would then be affected by the Suggestion.

1-2x Artificer: 70 HP, AC 13, saves WIS +4, INT +6, CON +4, rest +2. Passive perception 15. Skills: Perception +5, Arcana +5
Attacks:
-Web Shooter: target makes a Dex save. Fail DC 11 - target is Restrained. Fail DC 16 - target is Slowed (lose move action). As an action, the target can make a DC 11 Strength check to escape from the webbing. Webbing can be burned away, doing 1d6 fire damage (plus the damage of whatever spell/effect is used to light it) to the webbed creature. -
-Fire Glove: glove with a tiny chip of a red dragonshard in the palm, can be set to Bolt or Spray as a minor action.
--Bolt: +5 to hit, 1d8 fire damage on hit
--Spray: 1d8 damage in a 15-foot cone, DC 13 Dexterity save for half.

-A bunch (5-6x) mediocre thugs whose only real strength is having +1d6 sneak attack that they can leverage to make their attacks more dangerous when they're inspired by their leader or attacking Webbed targets.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I didn't get to look at this until now but this is great. Some of it's according to expectations and I've used a little bit of it in an urban campaign where the players were magically branded with a visible record of their debts. Well-to-do people had work for adventurers, but would usually contract it through their surrogates, like servants and private security.

My urban campaign was my first crack at long-term DMing and I wanna revisit the setting when I've learned a little more about doing it well and have more fully realized the setting. I think the trick is making D&D power progression not feel completely out of whack with the social and economic realities of the city, and I don't know if that can be done. By the time you're level 3, I have a hard time imagining a city where you're concerned that being rude to the wrong person might mean you don't have a roof over your head at night.

Wealth and power would absolutely insulate you against some of the consequences of having a bad reputation, at least in part because wealth and moral character were often described (by wealthy people, naturally) as being connected to each other, for a variety of reasons. So a rich person would definitely get more benefit of the doubt than a poor one would in a community where no-one knew them.

However, just as a counterpoint, we do also find members of the aristocracy joining urban religious guilds (not trade guilds, think something more like a social club or the Rotary club or something). Now, these people are wealthy and have social rank out the rear end, so what's going on? Part of it may be (and probably is) genuine interest in the religious/charitable work the guild does, but just as important is that this is a way to access the economic and social networks of the city. Just rolling up and being rich evidently isn't quite enough; these people go out of their way to establish social ties and become personally known to these people.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Maybe the guy that's never ran a 5E game shouldn't be homebrewing it out the rear end his first time?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Arthil posted:

Maybe the guy that's never ran a 5E game shouldn't be homebrewing it out the rear end his first time?

That would be excellent advice if 5E supported that type of game batter

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ReapersTouch posted:

Can anyone else in your party grab the one you dont pick?

We've got a Bard but I was gonna try to cajole them into taking Hypnotic Pattern.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LogicNinja posted:

There are a few things you can do to help balance/math (Give Fighters More Stuff, tweak how so make saves work so everyone doesn't have a pile of lovely saves that get worse relative to the opposition as they level up).

Then there are some things you should do to make encounters more interesting, which is more time consuming. My two big ones:
-Rewrite all monster/enemy spellcaster abilities/spells (at the very least, maybe the PCs' too) to have scaling effects. That is, they have 2 or 3 DCs instead of one, a low and high or low/medium/high. The "low" DC is enough to avoid the worst effects of a spell/ability, e.g. if you make the Low DC for a Hold Person type ability you're Slowed or Restrained rather than paralyzed. The "high" DC is enough to avoid the standard effect of the spell/ability

-Change how Legendary Resistance works, and make more encounters have enemies that have Legendary Actions and Legendary Resistance. Specifically, instead of letting them make the first X saves they want to make, Legendary Resistance should let them make saves, suppress effects, etc.
You then price Legendary Resistance abilities in terms of number of legendary actions.

Basically, you give them badass, scary Legendary Actions, then make it so that if they're affected by a spell or effect, they can sacrifice X legendary actions to resist the effect that round. They'd make saves as normal.

So it would look something like this: Legendary Resistance (cost: 2 legendary actions) instead of Legendary Resistance (3/day).

Theoretically you could make separate Legendary Resistance abilities with separate costs against particular types of effects, e.g. Legendary Resistance (restrained or slowed, 1 action) and Legendary Resistance (mind-affecting, 3 actions) and Legendary Resistance (everything else, 2 actions). That way you can give legendary monsters strengths and weaknesses--e.g. it's harder for a big, strong brute like an ogre to fight off mind-affecting spells and really easy for him to fight off physically restraining spells, or easier for a caster type to suppress mind-affecting spells and harder to fight off physical entanglement.

That way affecting enemies with Legendary Resistance with spells is still worth doing, because it'll suppress their Legendary Actions, which is a pretty significant benefit. (And it'll mean that stacking effects works as intended--if he's affected by both Hideous Laughter and Suggestion, for example, he'll only be able to suppress one of them.)

For example, here's an encounter I worked up while my group was running 5e briefly:

-1x Leader: 140 HP (?), AC 15 (in armor), saves CON +6, DEX +4, WIS +4, STR +4, rest +2
Attacks: *Two* attacks at +8 with mace (1d8+4), or with thrown daggers (1d4+4), +1d6 sneak attack if an ally is also engaging that enemy or the enemy is restrained or similar
Legendary actions (2/round, every round, on any other person’s turn):
-Throw dagger (+7 to hit, 1d4+4, sneak attack 1d6 if it applies--OR deflect a projectile attack targeting him )
-Inspire (grant advantage to attacking ally, letting them get sneak attack)
-Rouse (uses both actions: remove a mental condition/spell effect from one ally)
Legendary resistance: If Leader fails a saving throw, he can choose to lose both of his legendary actions and act as if he succeeded on his save. If the spell is ongoing and Leader uses Legendary Resistance, he can continue to make saving throws if the spell allows for it. If Maarvey has already used legendary resistance this round, he can not use it again (e.g. if he is affected by Hold Person and then Suggestion, he could suppress the effects of Hold Person with legendary resistance, but would then be affected by the Suggestion.

1-2x Artificer: 70 HP, AC 13, saves WIS +4, INT +6, CON +4, rest +2. Passive perception 15. Skills: Perception +5, Arcana +5
Attacks:
-Web Shooter: target makes a Dex save. Fail DC 11 - target is Restrained. Fail DC 16 - target is Slowed (lose move action). As an action, the target can make a DC 11 Strength check to escape from the webbing. Webbing can be burned away, doing 1d6 fire damage (plus the damage of whatever spell/effect is used to light it) to the webbed creature. -
-Fire Glove: glove with a tiny chip of a red dragonshard in the palm, can be set to Bolt or Spray as a minor action.
--Bolt: +5 to hit, 1d8 fire damage on hit
--Spray: 1d8 damage in a 15-foot cone, DC 13 Dexterity save for half.

-A bunch (5-6x) mediocre thugs whose only real strength is having +1d6 sneak attack that they can leverage to make their attacks more dangerous when they're inspired by their leader or attacking Webbed targets.

You could've just written "Play 4E instead," but now we are reduced to this.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Conspiratiorist posted:

Their extra spells, too: shield, wrathful smite, blur, blink, elemental weapon, banishing smite. Not all of them scale but they're excellent for their level and for dips.

It's retarded but I love it

I am actually of the opinion that the Hexblades extra spells are largely terrible, either in general or on the Warlock specifically.

Shield is terrible on a Warlock because of how few spells the can use in an encounter, much better on a class that can spare low level slots. The smite spells are just straight up terrible. Use Concentration for a one time bonus to damage. Using the slots for an actual smite, or a good Concentration spell is much better.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

theironjef posted:

Who you running it for? If it's your friends they'll suck it up and play what you run. If it's strangers all you're doing is extending the wait time til you have a full table. How much of a hurry are you in?
It'll be a publicly recruiting PbP game, perhaps in TG, perhaps elsewhere. Time isn't really a concern to me; it's just that in my experience, games outside of the D&D/Pathfinder mould tend to attract fairly little interest.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Due to it's popularity 5e is good for finding games as a player, but if you're doing the DMing finding other people becomes much easier. Moreover you can do a 5e one-shot or short module to attract players then switch to a different system if you assembled a group you like.
The thing is that the only other suitable system I'm sufficiently familiar with to feel comfortable DMing is 4E. I'm already running a campaign in that, though (epic tier no less), and am looking to try something different but still in that general fantasy vein.

Thanks for this, but yeah, starting out I probably won't mess with stuff too much. (Though I may make use of gradenko_2000's work on monster stats and encounter design as it seems like a relatively simple way of keeping fights from being too deadly. Those Lost Mine of Phandelver TPK stories sure are something.)

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Putting together a Riches pact boon for Warlock, how much money is reasonable to give upon levelling? I currently have it at 100gp*level, with the Everfull Pouch refilling to 10% each day if brought below/emptied.

Pact Boon: Riches
A key condition of your pact was never having to work again. As your pact boon you gain a small container of some kind; a wallet, a purse, an ornate wooden box, or a pocket stitched into your coat - it can take any shape, so long as it can hold roughly 1 cubic foot. Whenever you reach into this container, you access an extradimensional hoard. This hoard begins with a number of gold pieces equal to 100gp for each Warlock level you possess, which refills up to its new maximum each time you gain a level.
Gold that you take from this container is real, provided by your patron. Between refills, the containers contents are static, though it will refill to 10% of its maximum value at the next dawn if brought to below that value.
Any other creature reaching into the container simply finds it empty, and if lost you may summon the container to you as an Action.

Invocation: Eye for Value
You can discern the value of objects as easily as looking at them. Anything worth more than 1,000gp requires closer inspection - you must use an Action to inspect it. If an item is priceless, such as Artefacts, you are aware of its immeasurable worth.
Invocation: Liquidation
Any item that you place into your container can be instantly turned into a number of gold pieces equal to its value.
Invocation: Everyone has a Price
As an Action, you may discern how bribeable a person is, i.e. how much gold it would take for them to perform a specific action, such as "look the other way", or "poison your master's food".

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Ryuujin posted:

I am actually of the opinion that the Hexblades extra spells are largely terrible, either in general or on the Warlock specifically.

Shield is terrible on a Warlock because of how few spells the can use in an encounter, much better on a class that can spare low level slots. The smite spells are just straight up terrible. Use Concentration for a one time bonus to damage. Using the slots for an actual smite, or a good Concentration spell is much better.

Shield is good if you're doing a Hexblade dip on a class that otherwise doesn't get it (Bard or Paladin).
Wrathful Smite is actually kind of hilarious because of how sticky the Frightened condition it inflicts is - it forces an action to remove, and it's a WIS check rather than a save.
And Banishing Smite is just really potent with its auto-removal from the board effect if the target is 51 HP.

I shouldn't need to point out how good Blur, Blink and Elemental Weapon are (even though EW now has to compete with Holy Weapon).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MMAgCh posted:

My advice to you is that if you're the GM anyway, then play whatever you want - people will join your game regardless.

But if you absolutely must play it, then my other piece of advice is to play it as-is at least once (as a oneshot), to get a feel for how it all works in practice. The only thing I'd really recommend that you change without ever having played the game before is that players should start with their CON score added to their max health.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Shield is good if you're doing a Hexblade dip on a class that otherwise doesn't get it (Bard or Paladin).
Wrathful Smite is actually kind of hilarious because of how sticky the Frightened condition it inflicts is - it forces an action to remove, and it's a WIS check rather than a save.
And Banishing Smite is just really potent with its auto-removal from the board effect if the target is 51 HP.

I shouldn't need to point out how good Blur, Blink and Elemental Weapon are (even though EW now has to compete with Holy Weapon).

Blur's not great because it's also Concentration. But it's not garbage or anything, just suffers for being in the overloaded concentration slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I ran my first session of my city setting tonight. The one with the two sister cities, one in the prime material plane and one in the feywild. It went super well! Everyone had a blast and I'm really happy with this setting. At the end the player were discussing which story threads to follow and which characters they wanted to take down. It might have been the most fun I've had playing D&D.